More statistics!

Divine

This feature suggestion is probably coming at bad time during all the hassle with the new (pretty cool) search feature. I hope someone still remembers it when (if) there's more room to breathe. Oh, I came up with and wrote this idea in some other thread some time ago in the general forum, but I figured it'll get better attention here. Also, someone may already have suggested something similar, so please don't mind if this has already been discussed (and shot downicon_wink.gif).

That is, I'd like to see some kind of stats page where one can see things like:

- caches per country (ok, we already have this)

- cachers per country (Dan already has something like this, doesn't he?)

- cache®s per capita in different countries

- cache®s per square area in different countries

- Finds per capita/cacher in diff. countries

- Etc etc...

I mean a page similar to Seti@Home's stats page. That would be neat.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

I'd like to see some kind of stats page where one can see things like:

- caches per country (ok, we already have this)

- cache®s per capita in different countries

- cache®s per square area in different countries

Have a look at this.

I agree that would be cool, but I think somebody pointed out that not everybody puts their location in their profile, or the correct location when they do place their location.

I think to get this to work people would have to have this in their profile, perhaps 2 seperate fields:

1. Location (For staff use only)

2. Visible Location - so you could be anonymous, or funny - or whatever...

southdeltan

I would really like to see the following stats:

Greatest distance between overall caches found per user;

Greatest distance between caches found in a single day per user;

Growth of geocaching as % month on month

If someone knows of a site that shows this already please post it here.

Thanks

Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by Gustaf:

Have a look at this.

Ahh, thanks. I had actually seen that before, but have forgot it since I have recently visited your site only to look for updates in the Finnish stats. *wink wink, nudge nudge*icon_wink.gif Nevertheless, it's great that you host such excellent pages. Keep on the good work.

I still wouldn't mind if Gc.com had that kind of (auto-updated) pages too.icon_smile.gif

quote:

Have a look at this.

That is a very cool site. Too bad the data is so stale. Heck, the Top Finders page hasn't been updated since before I started caching. (I know, I know, it is no longer updated.) It is, however, fun to look at how the landscape has changed in the last year.

Have you considered extracting your data directly off of Dan's site and then generating your cool graphics from that? I would think that wouldn't be all that processor intensive. I wonder if Dan would mind someone crawling his site. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Have you considered extracting your data directly off of Dan's site and then generating your cool graphics from that?

How would that be any better? Just makes the risk of errors in the stats higher, doesn't it? If you are concerned about the GC.com servers, you should know that so am I, and I run my updates (in a very slow pace) when you Americans are asleep in your beds, and the servers are spinning at their best icon_smile.gif

Dan has a great stats site, but he could use a little help from a web designer. A lot of information, but presented in a rather dull way, in my opinion.

I personally would like to see a graph or something to indicate how many geocaches were logged in certain regions. For instance, this weekend was gorgeous and we expected many hits on our caches but had few. I would have loved to pull up a page that showed a trend for the area was down or was it just our caches? And also one that shows whether or not total geocaching trended down or up for the weekend.

Hehe. We need to create the GeoTicker. With the GeoDAQ and individual regions on the ticker. icon_smile.gif

Geocaching Families of East TN

quote:
Hehe. We need to create the GeoTicker. With the GeoDAQ and individual regions on the ticker. icon_smile.gif

I can't imagine it would be too difficult to broadcast changes on an IRC channel. Maybe simple one liners:

>New Cache: (76335) "The AVON LADY has a SIDEKICK" at N 29:42.302 W 95:07.819. Type: Traditional. Size: Unknown.

>Logged: (75392) "Dog Leash #4" at N 33:23.867 W 111:47.114 by AJ.JR on 06/23/03 - Found

>Logged: (TB:1277) "Mav's Tiger" retrieved by 47Dad47

Then, someone else could create a website out of the stats for it.

Someone could also create a tray icon application that notified you of new caches in selected areas (maybe you watch your house and somewhere you are travelling soon) or when one of your caches was hit or a travel bug was moved. (I'd be happy to do this).

Comments???

Actually, having thought about this a little more. It would probably be good to have about 8-10 channels (I'm guessing since I don't have full stats on what gets updated at gc.com). A person could watch as many channels as they wanted and this would limit the amount of bandwidth required.

Hmmm...

OK, so this is actually probably a bad idea since I think IRC servers would get mad at us for piggybacking on their bandwidth. It would be a cool idea, but in hindsight I think it would make some people mad. But, maybe Jeremy will get bored and decide to start broadcasting data changes on a UDP port and we can still pick them up and make all the statistics pages in the world with it.

[This message was edited by Dawn&Richard on June 24, 2003 at 07:30 AM.]

quote:

Dan has a great stats site, but he could use a little help from a web designer. A lot of information, but presented in a rather dull way, in my opinion.

Close to a dream stats site would be one with your & Dan's numbers supplemented with those suggested in this thread + your layout + Dan's stat updating frequency.icon_wink.gif