If a cache hasn't been found for a while, are you put off or do you see it as a challenge?

Delta68

If a cache hasn't been found for a while, are you put off or do you see it as a challenge?

I was just looking at some of the caches 'resuscitated' in order to qualify for our Resuscitator Challenge Cache and I was intrigued how quite a few of the caches hadn't been found for well over a year but then seem to have a rush of five or six visits since...

So, if a cache hasn't been for a while do you avoid it?

(assuming there isn't a shed load of DNFs suggesting that it's missing of course! ;) )

Mark

If it's in our 'Target Area'* then we'll normally give it a go even if there are a few DNFs by new cachers, a few DNF's by well seasoned cachers may make us think twice about it.

*Having expended most of our local caches we have to travel 20+ miles to get to caches these days [:(]

If it hasn't been found for a time I might regard it as a challenge. If it's a nano with a few DNFs over a period of time with no finds I might take a small diversion to have a quick look but typically won't search for long.

I like the idea of the resuscitator cache, the only trouble is that the caches near me that qualify are either insane puzzles or 5/5 extreme caches.

If you want a challenge like that, take a look at GC18ZGQ in Borrowdale, in the lake district, and other caches in the same area by the same cacher. This one was placed in 2008 and had 12 finds that year. Since then, it has been found only twice more, once in 2009, once in 2010. There are no DNF's.

They would make a good challenge because the last logs are by the owners;

March 19 by BOG BEARS (1321 found)

Not many visitors up here.

We have decided to use the box in another location so will be archiving the cache in the next few weeks.

Get in quick!

It's a shame, as the cache further up looks like this:

d1f70bc7-153e-4be6-b9f2-6910695ea160.jpg

I'm really surprised about how few caches there seem to be in the lakes, and how few finds they have. I'm planning a trip up there next week, and thought it would be a cache goldmine, but I've been a little disappointed. Perhaps we're a bit spoilt in Hampshire. With that said, I'm quite excited that the nearest cache to where I'm staying is an ammobox with a great view, and I'll be the first to find this year - following only 3 finds last year. It'll make a change from nano's with full logs :)

If you want a challenge like that, take a look at GC18ZGQ in Borrowdale, in the lake district, and other caches in the same area by the same cacher. This one was placed in 2008 and had 12 finds that year. Since then, it has been found only twice more, once in 2009, once in 2010. There are no DNF's.

Don't forget it's not THE Borrowdale.

I'm really surprised about how few caches there seem to be in the lakes, and how few finds they have. I'm planning a trip up there next week, and thought it would be a cache goldmine, but I've been a little disappointed. Perhaps we're a bit spoilt in Hampshire. With that said, I'm quite excited that the nearest cache to where I'm staying is an ammobox with a great view, and I'll be the first to find this year - following only 3 finds last year. It'll make a change from nano's with full logs :)

It's quality not quantity round here from the likes of Fellsmanhiker/Tashington, Martlakes, Duncscott, Bog Bears and The Smileys. Most unmaintained caches up this way tend to be the dreaded "holiday" ones.

MBF

I'll treat it like any other cache - if it's rubbish I'll ignore it, if it's an ordinary one I'll do it if I'm in the area, and if it looks like a good one I'll go out of my way for it.

I once found a NaviCache where the previous find was 7 years before! The tree had grown all round it. It was the dickens of a job to find it, and then the dickens of a job to get it out. Old fashioned cache, large container, plenty of goodies inside, and still bone dry. To make it even more special, it was a multi and when I got to the final location it turned out to be only 30 feet from one of my own Groundspeak caches :lol: . AFAIK it's still there - maybe I should check it on the next maintenance visit to my cache.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Depends on the cache for me.

A nano in the middle of town that's tricky cause of muggles - ignore.

A cache that's miles from anywhere and hard to get to - challenge.

A tricky puzzle that's hard to solve - challenge.

This is where favourite points are useful and I do use them to judge caches like this.

I like finding caches which have not been found for a while; so all things being equal, it would encourage me to find it rather than put me off.

(And Delta68's challenge cache motivated me to specifically look for one recently).

The exception would be if there were several DNFs (especially by experienced finders), with no comment by the owner to confirm the cache is still there. If I'm nearby this type of cache I'll have a go, but I would be put off walking for miles to a cache which likely isn't there.

The penny has dropped, we are off to Wilts for easter and I keep seeing ref to Resuscitator but didnt know what it meant. Thankyou I now understand. One puzzle I have solved would qualify me for this if I find it, but no resuscitator cache nearby or near home, so will have to save for another time.

I presume we cant list these types of caches anymore due to the ALR, or are they excluded?

I accidentally stumbled across Delta68's Resuscitator Challenge Cache, I thought what a great idea, so I looked in GSAK at all the caches I have loaded to see if any near me were in need of a visit, a few cropped up, mainly inactive CO's with a load of DNF's on the cache page, but there are one or two possibilities. I guess difficult puzzles and multi caches would be the obvious candidates for the Resuscitator Challenge, I have now solved a puzzle that in a few days will be in need of a visit as it is almost a year since the last find, although last person to search had a DNF. It was nice to solve this puzzle, even better that it qualifies me for another cache, a long as I actually find the original of course ;-)

So the long answer to the short question is 'Challenge', but I agree with others, the location of the cache would decide if I were to go and look for it.

I accidentally stumbled across Delta68's Resuscitator Challenge Cache, I thought what a great idea, so I looked in GSAK at all the caches I have loaded to see if any near me were in need of a visit, a few cropped up, mainly inactive CO's with a load of DNF's on the cache page, but there are one or two possibilities.

A cache with a couple of DNF's can start to generate more DNF's as cachers believe the cache is missing and don't give the time to do a proper search...

Always worth reading the previous logs.

If I DNF, I try to give a reason -Too many Muggles, lack of time, getting late etc.

As others have said, if in the area, if it's an interesting cache, if it's an infrequently visited cache anyway... I'd go for it.

I presume we cant list these types of caches anymore due to the ALR, or are they excluded?

There's a definite line between what is allowed as 'Challenge' Cache and what is classed as an ALR.

This sort of cache is allowed because the additional requirements are Geocaching related.

If you placed a cache saying "you can only log a find if you visited by bicycle" for example, it would not be allowed :)

Mark

If I DNF, I try to give a reason -Too many Muggles, lack of time, getting late etc.

We'll give an excuse rather than a reason! ;)

The real reason is because we're not very good at this game :lol:

and frequently seem to DNF caches other people find easily :(

Mark