Sorting searches

Mo&Lance

I looked for this topic and didn't see it. Sorry if I'm repeating anything that's been talked about before.

I am interested in sorting the searches for a zip code. Is there a way to only list the caches North of that location or to eliminate caches that I know I don't want to get?

Thanks!

Mo

Pocket queries - which are available for Charter Members - send you the results by *.loc file, which can be read by EasyGPS. EasyGPS can sort the results by any of the resulting fields: latitude, longitude, name.

Also in the pocket query, you can eliminate types of caches - locationless, virtuals, micros, etc. You cannot pick and choose individual caches to ignore. And there's no "boundary" that will eliminate caches (although in EasyGPS, you can sort by Latitude and then group delete anything south).

It sounds like your best bet is to pay the $30/year or $3 for a month, and see if you like it enough to keep getting the queries. That money also helps pay for this site's upkeep - so it's money well spent. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

The PDA is not necessary for the Pocket Queries to be effective (I don't have a PDA). And herein lies the biggest kept secret and piece of mis-information out there.

The pocket queries are powerful queries directly off of the Geocaching database. Each user can get the results of up to five separate quereies e-mailed to them daily.

The results are in the EasyGPS *.loc file format. EasyGPS is a free piece of software available from Topografix at www.easygps.com . This software will open the file and allow you to sort, etc. There is also another piece of software (Geobuddy) that will open the *.loc file and convert it to MS Streets and Trips data files, and other files, including comma delimited for opening in Excel or any other datbase or spreadsheet program. All this is done on your regular computer - not a palm.

The other type of file that you can get as a result of the query (the same subset of caches) is a MobiReader file. This is readable by palms, but there is a free PC version of MobiReader as well. I personally don't use this, but it would make it so that you could see the cache pages without being online.

Pocket Queries: Not Just for Palms!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

The results are in the EasyGPS *.loc file format. EasyGPS is a free piece of software available from Topografix at http://www.easygps.com . This software will open the file and allow you to sort, etc. There is also another piece of software (http://www.geobuddy.com) that will open the *.loc file and convert it to MS Streets and Trips data files, and other files, including comma delimited for opening in Excel or any other datbase or spreadsheet program.

While those are fine programs for what they do, there's another program that'll ready geocaching loc files and write them to all those formats plus Mapsend, Mapsource (PCX), Delorme, and about 20 other formats. It doesn't have the editing/sorting/UI features of EasyGPS; it's lone claim to fame is conversion. It's rather nice for taking the result of a pocket query and plunking them on a map or shooting them straight into the serial port of your Garmin or Magellan.

GPSBabel

is free and works for UNIX, Linux, Mac/OS, and Windows.