Gassing Up For Caching

RoyalRed

not to call all you guys out as big sissies or anything but here in germany gasoline is at >9,00$ the gallon

Yeah, but we have states that are twice as big as your whole country.

A wise man once said, "Americans think a hundred years is a long time; Europeans think a hundred miles is a great distance."

Yeah, gas prices are making me change my habits a bit. I drive small/mid size pick-up, and won't just jump in, and go for a ride to pick-up just a couple of caches when I have some free-time. I plan them into my trips when I'm in an area, or vacationing, or can park and walk and pick-up several at a clip. Another option is team up with another cacher for a afternoon and split the cost. Did that this last weekend. Went on a afternoon power park & grab run of newly placed caches in our area.

We've been almost exclusively biking to caches recently. Part has to do with the high gas prices, half has to do with the recently populated bike trails in the area. And due to this, our enjoyment has gone up a ton. One of my least favorite parts of caching had always been the toll it takes on my car - starting and stopping several times a mile, urban driving all over the place. Biking simplifies it. Now I just need to get comfortable enough to bike while holding the GPS in my hand without crashing and I'll be set :)

not to call all you guys out as big sissies or anything but here in germany gasoline is at >9,00$ the gallon

Higher demand usually equates to higher cost though, not the other way around.

A wise man once said, "Americans think a hundred years is a long time; Europeans think a hundred miles is a great distance."

Edited by Running Crazy

I think it's interesting that gas prices have risen nearly a dollar since this thread began.

Yes, gas prices are preventing me from caching--but that's only in my car!

Now I have a great excuse to WALK and BIKE to new caches, even if they're several miles away. Besides, even when gas is cheap, I greatly prefer gas-free methods of caching.

Only once or twice have I used my car to get from cache to cache, and I can say with certainty that those were my least enjoyable caching days!

I don't think I'll let it bother me. Too much. One of the big local chains here (combo supermarket, dept store, garden center) not only has the lowest prices around ($3.73 today), but with their reward card, you get $.03 off per gallon. And, every dollar you spend on non-gas purchases gets one fuel reward point per dollar. Every 100 points gets you $.10 off per gallon. Which doesn't take much with the cost of groceries these days. Plus, I use my Discover card to buy, which is another 2% off, and 5% during certain months. I'm saving so much I'll be rich in no time B)

You can cache for an entire day on minimal gas.

You can but..... some of the best days caching were trips of 12-14 hour duration and 400+ miles hunting caches. :rolleyes:<_<

My partner(s) and I will now have to plan better for trips like this and split the costs more.

Now that gas is about 4.25 a gallon, we are making sure to plan everything out ahead.

And we got a bike and a long board to cache down by the beach. Take the metro down there and just go from there.

Im not really into urban caching, so most of the caches I want involve a drive. Usually not over 30 miles. But add so-cal traffic into that and you can really suck down the gas.

So how is the rise in gas prices going to affect your caching activities this Summer if prices go over $5 a gallon?

None at all. I always go geocaching 3 days a month one day each weekend with the exception of one. In this one day I pick one place within 30 miles I want to go and I go geocache there. The other caches I find are only caches that I happened to be at a stop I was going anyway.

So far no. We just had a major caching event here in town that resulted in a lot of driving for a lot of cachers. I didn't hear anyone chaning plans, only complaining. And that is at $1.23/L. If I start to see a significant impact on my budget, maybe, but for now, no.