Thinking about starting a new mission

Team Luvbassn

For those of us just getting over a particularly long winter, what about a fun in the sun theme?

I agree that would be a good theme, would the TB have to be a real travel bug or would a travel tag or cachekinz work?

Or an activated geocoin? Yeah, I'm one of those crazy folks who activates and sends them away. Of course, the activated geocoin would be in addition to the unactivated coin for the mission recipient.

Edited by Penny and Kona

For those of us just getting over a particularly long winter, what about a fun in the sun theme?

I agree that would be a good theme, would the TB have to be a real travel bug or would a travel tag or cachekinz work?

Or an activated geocoin? Yeah, I'm one of those crazy folks who activates and sends them away. Of course, the activated geocoin would be in addition to the unactivated coin for the mission recipient.

I would like to see Just TB because coins don't last long in the wild, but your choice.

I am thinking about starting a mission, I need help with a theme. Any suggestions?

I am thinking about 1 unactivated coin and 1 travel bug activated by the sender. Then themed stuff.

Ok, I will wait for the other two missions to finish. I am thinking about the summer theme. But keep the suggestions coming.

A few years ago there was a sunshine mission. It was very simple--a card and a coin. I enjoyed that one and enjoyed seeing the smile in the picture of the kid I sent it to. The missions are a lot of fun but can get very expensive. I think the last big one I did cost me over $50 so I like the simple ones. There was also a chocolate mission--a bar of chocolate and a coin. Mmmmm good!

A few years ago there was a sunshine mission. It was very simple--a card and a coin. I enjoyed that one and enjoyed seeing the smile in the picture of the kid I sent it to. The missions are a lot of fun but can get very expensive. I think the last big one I did cost me over $50 so I like the simple ones. There was also a chocolate mission--a bar of chocolate and a coin. Mmmmm good!

I remember the sunshine mission - it was nice and simple.

How bout mystery mission...and the themes be random.....or mission cache where everyone sends a cache (container, swag, log, etc) that is ready to be set out and ready to go..

This mission sounds intriguing! I like it!

I received a ready made cache from Team Luvbassn during the first Kitchen Sink Mission. I placed it in their honor and the cache is called the Kitchen Sink GC2Q4P3. Maybe someday they will be in Phoenix and can find their own cache....

Edited by KBfamily

I had a super cool awesome idea on the drive home from work at 1am- what about a 'Mix Tape' mission? But maybe make it a mix cd or something. Everyone makes one mix cd or mix tape and send it along with the coin/bug

Sorry to be a kill joy, but probably not a good idea, IMO, as the tape/cd would be illegal in most countries and if customs start opening packages it could cause all sorts of problems.

May be there is another take on it... maybe a Geocoin and sigitem mission - everyone taking part has to make a signature item to send along with the unactivated geocoin?

Edited by keewee

I had a super cool awesome idea on the drive home from work at 1am- what about a 'Mix Tape' mission? But maybe make it a mix cd or something. Everyone makes one mix cd or mix tape and send it along with the coin/bug

Sorry to be a kill joy, but probably not a good idea, IMO, as the tape/cd would be illegal in most countries and if customs start opening packages it could cause all sorts of problems.

May be there is another take on it... maybe a Geocoin and sigitem mission - everyone taking part has to make a signature item to send along with the unactivated geocoin?

Yeah I thought of that this morning. It's a good idea in theory at least.. >_>

Yeah I thought of that this morning. It's a good idea in theory at least.. >_>

Interestingly here, and much to everyones surprise, the government has rush a 3 strikes system into law. They did it with notice that they were doing it because last time it was attempted there was huge a outcry because the system gave all the power to the license holders - they wouldn't even have needed to provide contestable evidence of offending! This time it looks like they need to provide something, but there is still no mechanism to argue it if you're wrongly accused! Typical!

I remember the sunshine mission - it was nice and simple.

~ I can also remember a "flower" themed mission where we sent packets of seeds with an unactivated coin ( MAYBE it was the sunshine one???). We had SO much FUN on here with the Sunshine mission :D:P

Plus, as per "rules for This forum, we Need it to have at least a coin mentioned B) . . .

It is disappointing to see someone else (someone who has posted in this thread) now trying to run exactly this mission. :(

I have sent them a message about my feelings on this, as I feel they are hijacking what should be Team Luvbassn's mission.

(I was going to post in their thread first, but decided it was better mailing them directly to point out the error of their ways and to give them the opportunity to do the right thing.)

Team Luvbassn - the other two missions after a fair way through* so you could probably set some guidelines, start to call for names and set some dates etc for your mission. :)

* Easter Mission is probably mostly complete (most packages should have been received by now), and with the International Kitchen Sink missions I think all packages are on their way to the central point.

Edited by keewee

It is disappointing to see someone else (someone who has posted in this thread) now trying to run exactly this mission. :(

I have sent them a message about my feelings on this, as I feel they are hijacking what should be Team Luvbassn's mission.

(I was going to post in their thread first, but decided it was better mailing them directly to point out the error of their ways and to give them the opportunity to do the right thing.)

Team Luvbassn - the other two missions after a fair way through* so you could probably set some guidelines, start to call for names and set some dates etc for your mission. :)

* Easter Mission is probably mostly complete (most packages should have been received by now), and with the International Kitchen Sink missions I think all packages are on their way to the central point.

There is also the Blech Nickel Mission as well that's chugging along, and I know there is an International one planned for when that one is finished.

There is also the Blech Nickel Mission as well that's chugging along, and I know there is an International one planned for when that one is finished.

Hmmm - there use to be a thread (and I'm talking about years ago - and I think it was it's own thread and not part of a mission thread) which listed missions, who was running them and when they were. It use to be that a particular person would run a certain mission each year, but not necessarily every year. There were a lot of courtesies around it - such as if X ran the mission last year, you didn't rush in and say I'm running it this year - you'd contact that previous person to see if they were running it and it not then you might consider doing it. But all that seems to have disappear over the last couple of years.

I'll try and find that thread and link it as it would be useful reading.

Edited by keewee

how about a show us your baby picture mission...a copy of one of your baby pictures along with an unactivated coin...posts with a scan of the picture would allow people to guess who is in the picture (who the mission is from.)

ILYK

I'd be very happy to join an international chocolate bar(s) + coin mission.

As long as I get some kinder eggs out of this mission I'd be game.. :lol: I love kinder eggs!! (can't get them here in america)

Really! That surprises me. Will see what I can do if I get you. :)

As long as I get some kinder eggs out of this mission I'd be game.. :lol: I love kinder eggs!! (can't get them here in america)

mmmmm kinder... i have one downstairs right now from Easter... mmmmm i may go have a bite right now! :ph34r:

I am trying to come up with something for the mission. I am thinking about a mission that each missionary (lol) decides what their mission is. It could be a sunshine mission or a box full of goodies. When you post that you want to play just put down what you are going to do and I will match the receipent to you. Email me at my geocaching address with your address and what kind of mission you are doing. I will then send out the addresses in about thee weeks. International is ok. Let me know what you think.

I am trying to come up with something for the mission. I am thinking about a mission that each missionary (lol) decides what their mission is. It could be a sunshine mission or a box full of goodies. When you post that you want to play just put down what you are going to do and I will match the receipent to you. Email me at my geocaching address with your address and what kind of mission you are doing. I will then send out the addresses in about thee weeks. International is ok. Let me know what you think.

I like this, it could be called something like the Unique Mission, as every mission will be unique.

I think the baby photos should be kept as a whole separate thing though, I love that idea!

I had my first kinder egg's when I was in germany 13 years ago.. and I fell in love with Diddle.. I miss both!!

I like this, it could be called something like the Unique Mission, as every mission will be unique.

I think the baby photos should be kept as a whole separate thing though, I love that idea!

Agree. I like the unique mission idea, but I really like the baby pictures thing and Think that should be a whole seperate mission!

The unique mission idea could be intersting too since people could base a mission around a coin (s) that they have to send to someone else.

Could be very interesting to see how people built a mission package around coins instead of putting coins in a package based on the theme!

Edited by sheltiedogshowlover

Hehe, I'll bear that in mind.

Mr F works half his time in USA now and is thinking of putting these in the sweetie bowl on his desk. (Apparently it's the thing to do in the US - great idea.)

We're not supposed to post food/seeds etc overseas though. Could it be detected and spoil the mission?

(Maybe Mr. F could use his USA work address and post our goodies from there!) :ph34r:

Edit to add: Kinder eggs would be grabbed by customs on entry because the small parts can choke children, or some such legal infringement. The plasic cases have been changed so they have a hinge lid now and are easier to open (less danger of choking by trying to open it with your mouth.)

Edited by Fianccetto

We're not supposed to post food/seeds etc overseas though. Could it be detected and spoil the mission?

Edit to add: Kinder eggs would be grabbed by customs on entry because the small parts can choke children, or some such legal infringement. The plastic cases have been changed so they have a hinge lid now and are easier to open (less danger of choking by trying to open it with your mouth.)

I know seeds are a big no-no, but I think food (at least some) is okay. Candies and chocolates are surely okay, I think packaged food items are fine. Fresh or homemade food items might not be.

I'm surprised that the kinder eggs would be a problem - I know they have small parts but that shouldn't be a customs issue.

Hey, I just found an interesting link on what can't be mailed to Australia

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail

Edited by fuzziebear3

Another idea for a mission might be a 'Local fun' mission. The person sending the mission could include local goodies and information about where they are from.

Ideas of items to include could be postcards, souvenirs, items and foods that are made in the area, and a coin that represents the area or a local event.

Edit to add: Kinder eggs would be grabbed by customs on entry because the small parts can choke children, or some such legal infringement. The plastic cases have been changed so they have a hinge lid now and are easier to open (less danger of choking by trying to open it with your mouth.)

I know seeds are a big no-no, but I think food (at least some) is okay. Candies and chocolates are surely okay, I think packaged food items are fine. Fresh or homemade food items might not be.

I'm surprised that the kinder eggs would be a problem - I know they have small parts but that shouldn't be a customs issue.

Kinder Eggs are a choking hazard, and that is why they are not sold in the states. As far as I know if they open up your package that's on it's way to the states for some reason or another (random customs check, they do happen) and they find Kinder Eggs they will remove them.

I had no idea what a kinder egg was, so I looked them up......Holy Shenanigans I want one!!!!

Another idea for a mission might be a 'Local fun' mission. The person sending the mission could include local goodies and information about where they are from.

Ideas of items to include could be postcards, souvenirs, items and foods that are made in the area, and a coin that represents the area or a local event.

I was actually thinking about something similar like this one. I think it would be neat if the mission coordinator made it to where everyone would receive an international package from a different country. Perhaps the sender even include pictures of their area along with other goodies, like stated above.

Good to know, thanks for that. I'm never sure about food items, and was being overly cautious...Looks like chocolate itself is OK to send.

(For UK: "Confectionery, chocolate or cakes (including Christmas cake, Simnel cake or cakes containing nuts) are permitted from any country as long as they are for your personal consumption [labelled as gifts] and do not contain fresh cream or high levels of dairy products....[or beef suet, in cakes.]")

On the subject of Kinder egg import, looks like it is still contraband in USA. Found this...

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/national/04212011_2.xml

We could get around it by removing the toy capsules and sending those without the Kinder chocolate (but nothing to say we can't send superior chocolate bars along with them.)

Anyway, I am happy to join in with any of the international missions, and I like all the suggestions on here. I have enjoyed the few simple missions I've taken part in so far.

Hmm, liking this...Don't think I'd be allowed to send a Gloucester Old Spot (oink) or Double Gloucester cheese or the local beers or ciders but am sure there's loads of local crafts and maybe some canal/docks/Rugby football/Harry Potter related things we could find, and if I'm allowed to count England as being local (about the area of an average USA state, after all) then that's easy peasy. :)

There is a such thing as Kinder chocolate bars that are just that- chocolate bars. No toy choking hazard :D those should be fine to send out!

Yes but...but...The toys are often the best thing. Admittedly sometimes they're a terrible miniature monstrosity, but sometimes they are little model kits that do neat stuff. I throw/give away the chocolate, very low cocoa content and tastes terrible to me. Wish you could buy just the little toys!