approving non US caches.

gimli

i was wondering who does the reall aproveing of caches?

this because i often find a lot of caches in holland which are completely written in dutch and i don't think that the approvers can understand the chaches which do not contain any english text sufficient enough to understand what the text in the caches means?

who can help me out?

regards,

Gimli

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:

i was wondering who does the reall aproveing of caches?

this because i often find a lot of caches in holland which are completely written in dutch and i don't think that the approvers can understand the chaches which do not contain any english text sufficient enough to understand what the text in the caches means?

i know that the UK has its own approvers. Besides maybe some of the admins can read/write dutch?

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

For Dutch, Babylon is about all there is. It only does one word at a time, so it's only useable if you already know most of the words and don't recognize one or two.

For Dutch (and other) translations, I use InterTran which translates whole passages, not just single words. If you limit the passage to 20 words or less, it will even provide drop-downs for words with multiple meanings. If the passage has over 20 words, then it just picks the most common meaning.

-Alan

..oh but it is hilarious..

Try this:

- Select translation from English to English

- Enter the plain text "The Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"

- Click "translate".

Please don't do this with a mouthful of food and drink, while in front of your monitor...

icon_biggrin.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

"Love Immateriality is assenting in return love animality is watery"

Now where in the heck did you get the idea to translate that verse?

I can answer that one easily. The original verse was used many years ago in one of the early translation attempts using computers and the classic response of the program, when asked to translate from english to russian, the phrase "the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" (and back again) was the response "the vodka is tempting but the meat is rotten!"

Anyone who knows their scripture will recognise it as coming from the New Testament, 41st verse of Chapter 26 of the Book of Matthew. The really interesting thing about this is that this (famous) phrase itself is a translation from the original greek and not an english original at all...

That episode has rather passed into IT folklore, indeed it may even be an urban legend, yet serves to make its point, so every time I am given the opportunity to test a translation service (of any type!) I always like to give it that verse as a test. icon_biggrin.gif

(the other similar howler is the translation of "out of sight, out of mind" as "invisible idiot"...)

[This message was edited by MCL on December 02, 2002 at 05:06 PM.]