A Couple of Reviewer Ralated Questions

Don't know how many people are in a position to answer this, but here goes...

First off, when placing my first couple of caches, I have been VERY careful to be completely on the up and up with regard to my listing and placement, in accordance with Groundspeak and local guidelines. As I understand it, reviewers live around the general area of the caches that they are reviewing, and I have noticed that almost all new caches in my area are published by the same 3-4 reviewers (which would lend credence to my previous statement). So will the local reviewers get to know the people who are submitting caches from their area (not personally, but from a caching perspective), and be more apt to "hand pick" a cache or two in their queue for review before another if that submitter has a reputation for accuracy and attention to detail? This will obviously not affect my diligence to the guidelines or my accuracy, I'm just wondering if the reputation would get my caches listed faster. On a side note, all of my reviewers have been very friendly and responded in a timely manner, taking into account that I'm sure there have been lots of caches submitted recently, so my most recent two have taken a bit longer. I haven't had to make a change to my listings yet.

Related question which may answer the first one, also... Do the reviewers go through the caches in the order in which they are received, or do/can they bounce around?

Lastly, when I submit a cache for review, does it go to a single reviewer's queue, or do all of my local reviewers share a queue and cooperatively work in some of their free time to knock out whichever ones they can? Perhaps they work in "shifts" - Reviewer 1 for a week, then Reviewer 2 for a week, and so on.

Thanks in advance. The answers to these questions are inconsequential to me, in that they will not affect any routine or anything... they are simply designed to satisfy curiosity. I appreciate the time that is volunteered, I'd just like to know more about how they handle such a daunting task.

--Edit for omission.

Edited by CachinStrattons

Not a reviewer, so my response is either guessing or hearsay, maybe both...

1. Hand-picking those they would do first is morally a no-no. I believe they (the reviewers) are all very moral. So, the answer is NO!

This would lead to favoritism, and it would be a basic failure of the precept of geocaching as a whole.

2. Am told (and I have no reason to doubt), that the caches are taken in the order in which they are received in the queue.

Due to questions, omissions, or clarifications a cache may be "set back" a bit, but have been informed that it does not "go to the end of the line".

3. A good question, of which I would like to hear (read) the correct answer to. :)

Do the reviewers go through the caches in the order in which they are received, or do/can they bounce around?

Caches stack in the review queue by GC Code, and the queue is worked that way, with some modest exceptions (not based on cache owner name or reputation). Once your cache is opened by a reviewer, it will be published if it can be, or some note will be made with questions or concerns.

Reviewers work somewhat differently in different areas, there's no one practice for dividing the work, so I can't respond to the second question.

Interesting. Thanks for the info so far.

I HAVE noticed that the published caches (I have the instant notice e-mails set up, obviously) seem to come in waves by certain reviewers. I see one name for many published caches, then that one will disappear and another reviewer will publish a bunch over the course of the next days/week.

As one of the three reviewers for Northern California, I can let you know how things work here. Most answers are probably the same in Ohio. Or not.

... will the local reviewers get to know the people who are submitting caches from their area (not personally, but from a caching perspective), and be more apt to "hand pick" a cache or two in their queue for review before another if that submitter has a reputation for accuracy and attention to detail?

Maybe. But I did that once and was bitten. Bad. Someone I knew who had many fine caches submitted a new one. I opened the page, did a quick basic check and saw it was not near any other caches, and published it. A short time later I checked my email and there was several frantic emails telling me this new cache was deep inside the Concord Naval Weapons Station. Obviously off-limits. The last email was from the hider saying he fat-fingered the coords and the degrees should have been 121 not 120 or something like that. So now I look at everything. Every time.

Do the reviewers go through the caches in the order in which they are received, or do/can they bounce around?

I usually look at them in order, but if I run across one that needs work, I'll typically set it aside and continue down the list publishing the ones with no issues, and perhaps putting notes on the easy ones with minor issues, such as simple proximity. Sometimes I'll have a limited time available to review, so I'd rather publish as many as possible, without getting held up for 10-15 minutes dealing with one complex one.

Lastly, when I submit a cache for review, does it go to a single reviewer's queue, or do all of my local reviewers share a queue and cooperatively work in some of their free time to knock out whichever ones they can?

There is just one queue. We grab from it whenever we get a chance. Sometimes we even grab the same one and review the same cache at the same time. I hate it when that happens.

A short time later I checked my email and there was several frantic emails telling me this new cache was deep inside the Concord Naval Weapons Station. Obviously off-limits.

Holy crap, are you serious??!!! :o I can think of SO many funny stories that could have come from this bungle!! :P I have strange visions of Pavel Chekov wandering around asking where to find the "Nuclear Wessels" like in Star Trek. :lol:

Edited by CachinStrattons