1st International EarthCache Event

geoaware

I am very pleased to announce that the very first large International EarthCache Event is being planned for 2 September 2012 (yes - that is NEXT year).

The event will be like no other large Geocaching event as participants will be able to take part in learning lessons about EarthCaches, meet EarthCache reviewers and participate in many other activities. There will be opportunities to trade geocoins and tags, meet vendors of geocaching merchandise and meet and mingle with geocachers who are interested in EarthCaches from around the globe.

Portland is easy to get to from anywhere around the planet - you can fly into Portland International Jetport (PWM) or into Boston, MA (BOS) and shuttle bus up to Portland. There is a wide range of accommodation in Portland from camping to high-end hotels. The city has a friendly atmosphere of old world charm mixed with modern facilities.

The Event date is the Sunday of the US Labor Day weekend - giving people opportunities to spend a day either side to explore Maine and visit a wide variety of geocaches - including a swath of new EarthCaches!

The Event is being held on a phenomenal site with walking trails through farm and forest lands, wonderful meeting rooms and exceptional catering. There will be great activities for geokids including farm visits.

A special reception will be held for high-level EarthCache Masters as well as an opportunity for you to show us all your very best EarthCache!

The event website is www.earthcacheevent.org.

If you would like to get onto the email list so that you receive updates as the Event develops, please follow this link.

The event will be listed on gc.com following the event cache listing rules.

I am very pleased to announce that the very first large International EarthCache Event is being planned for 2 September 2012 (yes - that is NEXT year).

The event will be like no other large Geocaching event as participants will be able to take part in learning lessons about EarthCaches, meet EarthCache reviewers and participate in many other activities. There will be opportunities to trade geocoins and tags, meet vendors of geocaching merchandise and meet and mingle with geocachers who are interested in EarthCaches from around the globe.

Portland is easy to get to from anywhere around the planet - you can fly into Portland International Jetport (PWM) or into Boston, MA (BOS) and shuttle bus up to Portland. There is a wide range of accommodation in Portland from camping to high-end hotels. The city has a friendly atmosphere of old world charm mixed with modern facilities.

The Event date is the Sunday of the US Labor Day weekend - giving people opportunities to spend a day either side to explore Maine and visit a wide variety of geocaches - including a swath of new EarthCaches!

The Event is being held on a phenomenal site with walking trails through farm and forest lands, wonderful meeting rooms and exceptional catering. There will be great activities for geokids including farm visits.

A special reception will be held for high-level EarthCache Masters as well as an opportunity for you to show us all your very best EarthCache!

The event website is www.earthcacheevent.org.

If you would like to get onto the email list so that you receive updates as the Event develops, please follow this link.

The event will be listed on gc.com following the event cache listing rules.

On the list and looking forward to it! Thanks for the long notice, it's appreciated.

A "short" 22 hour drive.....I had planned to come out to Maine this summer....maybe I will put that off until next summer now. Be sure to post the cache page here as soon as it is up....If you convince TPTB that this will be a Mega Event they may allow it to be published further in advance than normal.

I'm showing 10 ECs within 50 miles...Hummm Was hoping for more. I guess there is time yet for more to show up...which I have no doubt will now happen.

Come early and enjoy our State - there are many Earth Caches in Maine. Just need to drive a bit - we are a large state. The Bangor area is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Portland. Here is a link to a map which one of the Geocachingmaine.org members posted. Current Earth Caches in Maine

This sounds like fun. As an added bonus, it looks like Portland is really close to DeLorme's headquarters. I'd like to see Eartha(the large globe, not the geocacher) up close.

Highway driving and only about 1/2 hour - with caches nearby and a nice Geocoin Vault of coins for discovery. Of course the retail store as well.

Another plus for Portland - if you like the train - you can ride the train from Boston to Portland. Amtrack Downeaster Link

Portland also has a city bus system with an extensive route and of course the usual Greyhound and other buses have depots here - as well as bus service to Boston's Logan airport.

So many ways to come to this event. Mark your calendar and plan on it!

I appreciate all the planning that's needed to go into putting a meet together so while there is time, consider making it a two day event. For a mega event, a two day event would draw more and present an option. I haven't done a count, but it seems like most mega events are held on more than one day. Those whom couldn't participate on Sunday perhaps would on the preceding Saturday. It is a lot of distance and expense for only one day.

Thanks for allowing this input, it sounds like fun.

We'll try, but it's a way off. :)

The official event is Sunday 2 Sept 2012.

There will be activities to attend on Saturday pre-event and no doubt activities will be planned on the Monday!

It will be very much worth coming to Maine for a few days (or longer). Its a beautiful place to visit and cache!

The official event is Sunday 2 Sept 2012.

There will be activities to attend on Saturday pre-event and no doubt activities will be planned on the Monday!

It will be very much worth coming to Maine for a few days (or longer). Its a beautiful place to visit and cache!

My husband and I are considering it. We did an "up East" trip a couple of summers ago and truly enjoyed ourselves in Maine. It's a long drive from our front door, and frankly not that much nicer a flight --but we still think it may well be worth it. It would certainly be nice to have such a great reason to go back to Maine "so soon".

Awesome!

And just two States away! (though over a year away... ;)

Highly possible my very first MEGA event!

Signed up for the email list, and look forward to attending it!

Now, love to put up my very first EarthCache somewhere here in Eastern Massachusetts...

Any Ideas???

I highly recommend this book:

http://mountain-press.com/item_detail.php?item_key=40

Roadside Geology of Massachusetts

Take it on a few road-trips and follow along till you find a spot that moves you!

(In general, this series is quite good, although some volumes are better than others. The MA one is good.)

Thanks for the quick advice! Will definitely get this book, and do some research.

So? It will cost me $20 to attend the event? (Not mentioned on the cache page...) This is after spending a few hundred dollars to get to Maine? Yes. That is a minimal amount, but that should be mentioned on the cache page!

You can go for free.

Sign the log book. (No entry or participation in any other activities). Cost: Free No pre-registration

The preregistration is for coins, entry to workshops, lunches, etc.