About that closed data mining thread:

BassoonPilot

The quotes from Jeremy and Elias appeared in separate threads. Elias's quote appeared in the "Stats page down" thread on the general board.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

We do not support it, endorse it, or approve of it. Search the archives.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Nice attitude; say, in effect, "screw you" and lock down the thread. If others found that terse dismissal to be as much of a turn off as I did, you will be in for an unpleasant surprise when the original slew of memberships come up for renewal.

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

I'm not sure who's who or even who Dan is, but I can tell you that this is the first I've heard of this. If an IP is blocked for some reason, the block message contains the e-mail address of who to contact to correct the problem. That address goes to me, and I haven't received any e-mail about this issue.

So I guess I'm not sure how we're not responding. If anyone wants this issue addressed, please feel free to e-mail admin at Groundspeak and I'd be happy to look into it.

-Elias

How's that for communication between the leading administrators? At least we know the Admin boys aren't even on the same page.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on January 11, 2003 at 08:33 PM.]

You've probably confused "Hey, let's run x program against y site" question of data mining with "hey, let's contact x to see if we can get y data" conversation. I can see where the confusion may be on your end.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Whatever the reason behind the current situation, whatever the problem, I hope Jeremy and Dan can find a way to work this thing out that will enable the many Geocaching enthusiasts to find the information that Dan, or his successor, provided. I have to believe that Jeremy and Elias understand the popularity of Dan's site, and the value it brought to the activity. And I am equally sure that the Geocaching community can understand the need to protect the Geocaching site fromdemands than could cripple the site.

That said, how about finding a solution, guys? Make the effort, make contact, and find a way to return this service to the array of services that the Geocaching site provides. Whether it is part of the Mother Site or a seperate site, let us have the information ... Please?

Well, considering that gc.com and Dan's site are completely independent, offering another $5 to gc.com for Dan's geocaching site is, well, inappropriate.

As Jeremy said, they are "x" and Dan is "y". One has little to do with the other. Dan has been providing stats without reimbursement of any kind. Thats not to say that wont change or that he doesn't deserve it. He should be rewarded.

The good news is, Dan's site should be running again now. There is some loss of data, but we are discussing how geocachers can help get them cleaned up and back in good condition. You can submit your lost logs on his site now. Its becoming more than one person can manage, so with everyone's help and support, hopefully it'll work out for the best.

On the issue of the thread closing, I too was taken aback, but then found my post on another thread. I was none too pleased either, about Jeremy's response... a link to the other thread would have been fine (with the thread closed)... but my first reaction was quite violent, I must admit, when I thought my post was deleted. It took some effort to find it. But I've recovered now, and moved on. Jeremy IS quite busy, in case you didn't know. Lets help him out.

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by spinwebby:

Jeremy IS quite busy, in case you didn't know. Lets help him out.

I missed this response til now ...

The point is now moot, since the leaderboard is no longer being blocked, but it appears to me that was precisely the type of service Dan's Leaderboard was providing prior to being blocked.

You might want to cut down on the patronizing rhetoric a bit ... everyone is quite busy, you know.