Keep leaving my Walking Pole behind!

Stompy

Do you ever put your walking pole down when you retrieve the cache and sign the log book then walk off to the next one leaving your walking pole behind, suddenly realise and have to walk back for it? I do, so does any one have any tips for preventing this from happening? It struck me that it would be a good idea if there was a gizmo that attached to the pole with an alarm that attached to your belt that sounded if you moved a certain distance away - does one exist?

Do you ever put your walking pole down when you retrieve the cache and sign the log book then walk off to the next one leaving your walking pole behind, suddenly realize and have to walk back for it? I do, so does any one have any tips for preventing this from happening? It struck me that it would be a good idea if there was a gizmo that attached to the pole with an alarm that attached to your belt that sounded if you moved a certain distance away - does one exist?

I typically carry the same specific items on each caching adventures, including a walking stick. Because I have left things behind, including my walking stick, I have developed a 'Stop - Check' process once I have signed the log and am about to leave the area.

My Thought process - Okay let's go!

Stop! Check!

Do I have my wallet? - Check

Keys? - Check

Cellphone? - Check

(I know that doesn't seem like things I would lose but I still check)

GPS? - Check

Walking Stick? - Check

Backpack? - Check

Everything that was in my backpack?(Now that I'm in full check mode) - Check

Did I put the pen back into the cache or is it still in my hand? - Check

Is everything secured and all pockets zipped shut? - Check

From experience I've learned that you have to do a post-cache, pre-leave checklist. I've had to train myself that the trigger/reminder is when your brain says - OK, let's go on to the next place!

Stop! Check!

It might work better to do it once you replace the lid on the container and before you put it back.

Do you ever put your walking pole down when you retrieve the cache and sign the log book then walk off to the next one leaving your walking pole behind, suddenly realise and have to walk back for it? I do, so does any one have any tips for preventing this from happening? It struck me that it would be a good idea if there was a gizmo that attached to the pole with an alarm that attached to your belt that sounded if you moved a certain distance away - does one exist?

Clip it to a carabiner on a belt loop?

For all the talk of leaving stuff behind after a cache I remember having the opposite problem. I'd been on a bike ride to an area further than I normally venture, found a bunch of caches, traded a few TBs etc and then got home. Then as I logged my caches and trackables I found something else in my pocket. Turned out I'd inadvertently taken the log book from one of the caches home with me.

Luckily the CO was understanding and gave me an address so I could mail it back to him...

I suggest taking a dog shock collar and rigging it. Set it up like a grenade so when a pin is pulled it goes off. Attach a cord to the pin and your belt. As you walk off you'll get a nice reminder that you left something behind. After a few times of that you'll start remembering to check for your stick and won't need the collar anymore. ;)

Better yet and easier to set up. Get one of these.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/8c52/

A plastic strip set between the battery and a contact and attached to your belt/stick. Then when you leave the stick behind the strip gets pulled out setting off the alarm.

This is ruffly the same concept.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/e200/

Edited by mpilchfamily

We left ours in the car boot this afternoon :mad: and we needed them as well as we were up and down :unsure: embankments in the woods geocaching this afternoon :(

The woods is full of sticks - help yourself. I was going for a multi yesterday, and I'd just got up a bit of hill when I realised ... stick in car. So I found a length of branch lying on the ground, trimmed it a bit, and voila!

Get yourself a knife and cut yourself a new walking pole from an ash coppice, then next time you leave it behind it's just a stick and you can walk away from it & cut yourself a new pole from another coppice :) .

Downside is, you can't go around cutting down ash coppice anywhere you feel like it :(

The other downside is; there's not likely to be a handy ash coppice every time you go out caching (or any time, in some cases). ;)

And if you don't chuck the stick away at the end of each trip you're then faced with a rather inconvenient 3 foot stick that won't telescope down and fit in a bag.

Turned out I'd inadvertently taken the log book from one of the caches home with me.

I did that as well. But as the cache was not visited very often I went and completed another cache before returning on my way home. Of course it turns out that someone had visited the cache during that time and had logged a needs maintenence report. Doh.

Stick walking pole in the ground before handing cache - more likely to notice it than if you stand it against a tree an dless likley to trip over it than if you lay it on the ground. In case of night caching, and also for improved visibility when walking along roads etc, wrap a piece of reflective tape (available from cycling shops) round pole.

I could do with a new walking pole...

When/where are you planning on caching next?

:laughing:

I just get in to the habit of checking everything.

Log and pen back in cache?

cache hidden?

Walking pole?

sun glasses?

GPS?

camera?

wallet?

car keys?

Any TB's collected from cache?

Rucksack?

All OK, off I go.

Stopping a few yards away from the cache to look back, just to double check I can't see either the cache or something I've left!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

We left ours in the car boot this afternoon :mad: and we needed them as well as we were up and down :unsure: embankments in the woods geocaching this afternoon :(

The woods is full of sticks - help yourself. I was going for a multi yesterday, and I'd just got up a bit of hill when I realised ... stick in car. So I found a length of branch lying on the ground, trimmed it a bit, and voila!

In North Wales I went to do one cache which was about 100 yds from the parking didn't find that one.

Looked at the GPSr and there was another less than half a mile away. Headed off without my usual water, walking pole or anything I usually take on longer walks. The terrain soon changed to very steep and slippery, especially at gz. The only stick nearby was about 10ft long. With a bit of manipulation it was a great asset to descending the almost 45deg slope and might even been better than a walking pole, needless to say I left this 10footer behind as soon as I was able. :rolleyes:

I lost a good Photo Leki pole that way... I'd found the first stage of a multi-cache, walked perhaps 400 yards to the next stage, realised I'd left my pole behind so went back... and of course it had gone. I'd left it near the entry drive to Shugborough Hall, but no-one handed it in, so I had to buy another (cheaper) one. Something to note is that LIDL were selling some good, cheap carbon-fibre walking poles last autumn - well worth looking out for next autumn.

My way to make sure I don't leave things behind now is to take my wife with me when I go caching. (I'm unlikely to leave HER behind, and she will make sure I don't leave anything else behind!!)

On the other hand, while following a caching trail a few weeks ago, I found some nice pink gloves, a woolly hat, and a dog lead! I hid the gloves at the start of the trail and then found a previous cacher had moaned about leaving them behind in her logs so was able to tell her where to find them again.

Chris

Remember when you were 5 and had gloves on a length of string going up one arm of your coat and down the other so you never lost them? If you used two walking poles you could do that!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I still have strings on my gloves :P:D

Why am I not suprised :unsure:

Hi try this link if you carry a rucksack it might be a technical solution

walking pole modification

Thank you a practical solution at last keep them coming......

#22 is a practical suggestion, too.

Sorry, you are right it is but I'm looking for something fool proof, I normally adopt your approach of leaving the stick in front of me except on the occassion I forget to do that you can bet your bottom dollar that it's the time I leave it behind. Ideally I was hoping that there was some kind of cheap alarm that would sound when I left the vicinity.

Ideally I was hoping that there was some kind of cheap alarm that would sound when I left the vicinity.

Wot, you mean like THIS

That's the fella - order placed, thanks

The alarm arrived yesterday - checked out worked well just need to find a way to secure it to the pole