Oregon 550 download gpx confusion

Monkers

I've got a new Oregon 550 GPS which has almost caused my wife to leave me after spending a day trying to figure out how to use the thing.

I can simply press the GPS button next to the cache in geocaching.com and copy it to the GPS no problem, but when I tick all the caches on the page then hit download, save to file then inport to what I found which is the Garmin Base Camp program it comes over only as .loc files. How and what do I use to get gpx files across in bulk. Please please help my marriage

Thanks Grant

I've got a new Oregon 550 GPS which has almost caused my wife to leave me after spending a day trying to figure out how to use the thing.

I can simply press the GPS button next to the cache in geocaching.com and copy it to the GPS no problem, but when I tick all the caches on the page then hit download, save to file then inport to what I found which is the Garmin Base Camp program it comes over only as .loc files. How and what do I use to get gpx files across in bulk. Please please help my marriage

Thanks Grant

I see you are a premium member. Build a pocket query for your area. Open a window (PC) to your gps in the gpx folder. All you do then is drag the pocket query file into the gpx folder on your gps and bingo - it's all there. Very slick. I don't use Basecamp at all. Otherwise you could send each gpx file from the cache page to your gps which is tedious.

I'm loving the 550.

Good luck.

Edited by arcs

PQ has emailed me the caches in a zip file containing 2 files and one has .wpts. Do I copy both of those across into my Oregon? I cant try yet as for some reason I recieved caches about 500mi away so I believe I need to wait 3 days to get another PQ.

Cheers Grant

PQ has emailed me the caches in a zip file containing 2 files and one has .wpts. Do I copy both of those across into my Oregon? I cant try yet as for some reason I recieved caches about 500mi away so I believe I need to wait 3 days to get another PQ.

Cheers Grant

Yep. Drag them both into the gpx folder on the gps. The wpt file has whatever extras the cache ownber has added like trailhead and parking spots. When you get new PQ, whick you should get regularly to prevent hunting for archived caches, just drag them into the same folder and the old ones will be over written. You can also get the PQ files from the second tab (PQ available to download)on your PQ page

I`m not sure what is going on with your PQ. You can get 5 PQ`s a day but the same PQ only 1 time a day. Where did you get 3 days. You really should find and read the Garmin x50 wiki - lots of info there.

cheers

This gps does aLOT of stuff - you`re gonna love it too.

Edited by arcs

That's great I'm off and running. Thanks heaps.

Cheers Grant

Yep. Drag them both into the gpx folder on the gps. The wpt file has whatever extras the cache ownber has added like trailhead and parking spots. When you get new PQ, whick you should get regularly to prevent hunting for archived caches, just drag them into the same folder and the old ones will be over written. You can also get the PQ files from the second tab (PQ available to download)on your PQ page

I`m not sure what is going on with your PQ. You can get 5 PQ`s a day but the same PQ only 1 time a day. Where did you get 3 days. You really should find and read the Garmin x50 wiki - lots of info there.

cheers

This gps does aLOT of stuff - you`re gonna love it too.