Exclusivity rule

Confucius' Cat

This is a hypothetical situation:

A person places a micro cache, which has only a log book consisting of a few sheets of paper and 'bring your own pencil instructions' in a small city park.

Later another person discovers a truly unique hiding place for a full size cache, but the location is too close to the micro so it cannot be approved.

Do you think it is appropriate to waive the rule for the regular cache so it can be allowed?

Do you think there should be a special rule to allow a second cache in a small area if the first is a micro?

GDAE, Dave

The quick answer is "No" Too close.

The long answer is you might have a case to make with the admin. Especially if the micro owner agrees that they overlooked the spot.

What you have here is one of them potential exceptions to the rules that will take time to work out.

When the smoke clears the answer may still be "No" Too close.

Wherever you go there you are.

I had to vote NO, as well. Both are physical caches. Why would size matter? Or is it the trading issue? What's next, someone with a giant container can bump a large container, which can bump a regular container, which can bump a micro?

Nah, I think once a physical goes in, it has the spot.

CR

72057_2000.gif

If the newly-discoverd hiding place is just so good it begs to be used, why not contact the micro's owner and offer to supply the container, logbook, goodies, & upkeep if s/he will agree to change the cache description and coordinates to reflect the new location.

They still get the credit for the cache, and you get the pleasure of having a cache in that great location. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on March 28, 2003 at 08:27 AM.]

I think the location would settle it for me. I have seen very different terrain/cool features/natural landmarks very close to each other and seperated by a large hill/small mountain kinda deal. A cache is on one side, but no one knows about the other place and will most likely not stumble upon it unless a cache is there. And the place can easily acomodate two.

Is there a hard and fast rule on distance? I've seen stuff like a mile or a kilometer bounced around, but I say it depends on the place in question. 800 meters up a hill might be only 200m away from another cache as the crow flies, but it's still a 1km hike uphill.

SO I say evaluate on a case by case. And heck, micros are different, meant for urban areas for the most part I thought, and I prefer regular caches to them. I think a micro and a regular cache can co-exsist in the right situation.

I agree with others who suggested contacting the owner of the micro. What constitutes a 'good' cache location is too subjective for an admin to make a judgement call remotely, so it has to be up to the locals to decide. First cache has dibs of course, but contacting the owner can't hurt.

I have only hidden one cache so far, and it's a micro, but I am planning more. I think I've chosen interesting hiding places where a bigger cache won't fit. (Though I admit I've already been surprised by a cacher who managed to fit something interesting into my small container.)

Now, if somebody contacted me and said they had a great location for a regular cache close to my micro, I'd certainly be open to discussing it with them. There could be various options, including leaving mine as is, replacing mine with his, or combining them into a multi, where mine gives a clue to his.

But on the other hand, I may have thought of a regular cache, but have very good reasons for only hiding a micro. For example, the micro I've hidden is indeed near some places that could be used to hide a larger cache. But the area is adjacent to two school yards and at certain times of the day is crawling with kids. I just know that a larger cache container would be plundered before long.

Bottom line is, contact the original owner. If it's an older cache, he might be ready to give it up. If not, you might be able to work something out, or maybe he's thought of a good reason why a larger cache is not a good idea.

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

quote:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

I agree with others who suggested contacting the owner of the micro. What constitutes a 'good' cache location is too subjective for an admin to make a judgement call remotely, so it has to be up to the locals to decide. First cache has dibs of course, but contacting the owner can't hurt....

Excellent discourse. Much better thought out than most of my posts!

I am coming to the conclusion that this approach is best overall and that 'log only' micros aint all that bad- even though the exclusivity rule disallows a 'better' cache in the same area. (OK, I can't define BETTER)

My only real objection to them was the lack of trinkets. To me, as well as many others, the trinkets lend a little extra element of the unknown to the hunt. This CAN be overcome with a little creativity in most cases- fer instance, I just placed a TB in a very small pill bottle today.

The present rule on exclusivity is apparently 0.1 miles separation.

My only concern is in urban parks where there just isn't that much space. I encountered this situation last week on a cache I placed which got the boot because a log only micro was placed there just HOURS before my cache report. Since it had not yet been posted I was taken completely by surprise when mine was archived. I had been preparing this cache for weeks, but was not satisfied with it yet and did not post it until the same day the other was posted. As several have pointed out, this will probably never happen again.

I did solve the problem by making mine a multi with 2 'virtual' clues and a bogus starting coordinate which located one of the clues. (of course now no one can post a cache within .1 miles of MY coordinates- even though there's nothing there. (I dont think there is anything cache-worthy within range, but I'll probably be proven wrong.)

GDAE, Dave