geocaching bikers sound off

I have used a bicycle (my Colnago or Kestrel) and a lot of running (I do something I call Cash-in-Dash where I run to a cache, log it then sprint to the next closest, log it, etc.). But not a motorbike. While in Bahrain a few weeks ago I met a local cacher named GlobalMedic. He does ultra-rides on his motorcycle (100 to 1000 miles at a time). I believe he has combined his long rides and just simple rides with geocaching. He is also a really nice guy.

I just bought a new Triumph Scrambler that I intend to use for a lot including geocaching. Anyone else incorporate motorcycle sports into their caching hobby? Tell us what bike you have and why you like geocaching with it. Pics would be great too, and let me know if you've had any success with a handlebar mount for your GPSr?

I use a RAM mount on my Yamaha FJR and my Road Star. I bought a Garmin Nuvi 550 to travel with on my FJR and have logged many miles on it including a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Later I got into Geocaching and still use the Garmin. RAM makes some fine mounts that will work with any handlebar .

Hope this helps

Scooper

I have a 500 Ninja and I use a car GPS that is in a small tank bag with a window. It has bluetooth so I can pair it with my scala headset and hear the directions instead of looking at it. The handheld GPS doesn't come out until I need it. I still don't cache on the bike very often, I don't like leaving my gear and bike in remote parking lots, and I'm certainly not going hiking wearing an armoured jacket in the summer. I have used this setup for roadside caches though.

CJ and I both have Harleys. We use 'em whenever we can. Gonna be glad we have 'em now that gas is pushin' four bucks.

I started out with my 60cxs on a standard Garmin handlebar mount, but the vibration started making me wonder if the thing would go flying.

Didn't need to retighten anything. It just didn't seem a good fit.

Works great on the crossover/hybrid bikes on rails-to-trails though.

I now have a Nuvi 660 on a Ram mount. Seems secure enough.

RAM mounts here! I started with the first RAM mount for my Kawi 140 dirtbike and liked it so much I got one for in the truck and just got another base for the UTV. I love that once I had the arm and cradle for the GPS then all I need to get is a base for any additional vehicle. No good picts yet but hopefully once we start getting back out this spring.

I've always liked hiking in wooded parks. Then, when I got my motorcycle in 2000, I would take it instead of my car to get to those parks to hike. Then, when I discovered geocaching in 2004, I added that to my hobby and now get to enjoy all 3 activities at the same time. :)

I have an old Legend eTrex. The standard bicycle bracket for the eTrex is made for a smaller diameter handlebar. Also, several people have posted that they had issues with th Legend bike mount because it takes the place of the current rear battery cover which causes the batteries to make poor electrical connection over bumps. :( As a result, I purchased the eTrex carrying case which has a belt loop on it. I then made my own bracket for my motorcycle which is held on the handlebars with hose clamps, and simply hook the belt loop of the case onto the bracket. It's a very snug fit and works great!

BTW... I ride a dual sport Suzuki DR350. I usually don't take it on the trails since that is prohibited in most public areas, but it is my primary caching vehicle to get me to the area. Fun to ride and gets me 60 mpg. :D

medoug.

I use my kawasaki dual sport to do some geocaching with.

I use my Kawasaki KLR 650 for caching on a regular basis. I also use my Cannondale Comfort quite a bit. (A replacement for my Raleigh) I had a RAM mount for my 60CSx, which I would swap from my motorcycle to my bicycle, but it was on the Raleigh when it got stolen. The mount came in two parts, both came from Bass Pro for dang near $100. I see very similar mounts on Amazon for much, much less.

This mount cost me nothing and holds my Magellan Explorist GC on my handlebars.

IMG_3783.JPG

I fashioned it from a reflector bracket off a kids bike that was going in the trash.

IMG_3771.JPG

It would not fit right away, but after a little grinding with a Dremel tool I had the shape correct.

IMG_3776.JPG

I used a Velcro strap as insurance to make sure it does not bounce off.

IMG_3781.JPG

Nice mount! I was thinking about getting an Explorist GC. Can you tell me what you think of it (how well it works, what you like and what you don't)? Thanks!

Nice mount! I was thinking about getting an Explorist GC. Can you tell me what you think of it (how well it works, what you like and what you don't)? Thanks!

I really like it, though it is a one trick pony.

It does Geocaching and nothing else.

If I were shopping today, I might look at one of the higher end Explorists.

I really like it, though it is a one trick pony.

It does Geocaching and nothing else.

If I were shopping today, I might look at one of the higher end Explorists.

Ok thanks! I know that I probably won't use a gps for something OTHER than geocaching and I also don't have enough money for a higher end unit. So if you think it is good, then I will probably get it! Thanks again!

I've used my bicycles for geocaching, but bought my first (and second) motorcycles this summer. Today I took the 1998 Honda Shadow 750 ACE caching. I knew were I would be parking for the first one, so I was able to leave the Garmin Legend in the saddle bag until I arrived. For the second one, I had to stop and dig it out when I got close, and then fine tune my position. I plan on picking up a RAM mount for my Nuvi 255W and installing a power socket to make it easier. Still don't know how to keep all the gear safe while away from the bike hunting.

Peter

I've cached on my 1991 Honda Nighthawk 250, and on my 2000 Triumph Tiger. I don't have pics of the CB250 while caching, but I've got a couple of TBs with my Tiger.

af5a4bc8-f97f-497f-9a9b-97552b440708.jpg

In this one you can sot of see my Explorist 600 mounted on a RAM mount.

f6a3e76a-7419-4d64-9767-776843139da9.jpg

And the Tiger near one of my own caches while out checking on it.

5875560888_6a9f317e30_z.jpg

IMGP7507 by Mr. 0, on Flickr

RAM is definitely the way to go. I use it on a mountain bike, not a motorcycle, and it's bombproof. It's a bit heavy though especially when combined with the GPS, so I didn't want to mount it on one side oif the handlebar. I mounted it instead on the seatpost and can just look down between my legs. It's not the best view and I have to take my eyes off the trail, but I figured it would be better than all that weight on one side of the bar.