Benchmark

subspeck

I have found A US Geo. Survey Benchmark with the designation "2 HJH". I found it on property I recently purchased in SW Washington. It looks like it was on a post which was dug up. After searching the "Designation" database I was unable to locate were it may have came from. I tried to upload a pic. but I don't see that option. When I select "Insert Image" it asks for a url. Anyway, any help with id or uploading a pic will be appreciated.

Steve

A great many of the USGS survey markers are not in any electronic database. They exist on paper in USGS archives. You would need to contact the USGS office serving your area and provide them with all the stamping (not cast into) on the mark, the state, general location i.e highway, location name, GPS or scaled coordinates are most important as that is how they are filed.

They would not likely care about saving the mark but would update their records and provide you with information on the mark if so requested.

Fyi - The "2" is the mark number in the series and the "HJH" would be the survey crew leaders initials, he was know as Chief of Party.

Edited by Z15

I tried to upload a pic. but I don't see that option. When I select "Insert Image" it asks for a url. Anyway, any help with id or uploading a pic will be appreciated.

Hi, Steve. To post a photo, first upload it to the photo section of your Geocaching.com Account Details Page or any other web page of your choice. Then insert the appropriate URL into your posting using the option you found in the forum software.

Patty

You can also just provide them with the name of the USGS 1:24000 scale topo map (quad) where the marker is located. And they will send you a list of all the markers in the area, so you may be able to find some others. I believe they are stored by a smaller scale map, 1:50000 or something, which was the older map series, and it will cover 4 times the area of the 1:24000 scale map. GPS coords is probably the easiest, which you can find on Google Earth or Google Maps.

BasicPoke