Sakura Sakura Geocoin

wenzelbub

Every year the Japanese Meteorological Agency and the public track the sakura zensen (cherry-blossom front) as it moves northward up the archipelago with the approach of warmer weather via nightly forecasts following the weather segment of news programs. The blossoming begins in Okinawa in January and typically reaches Kyoto and Tokyo at the end of March or the beginning of April. It proceeds into areas at the higher altitudes and northward, arriving in Hokkaidō a few weeks later. Japanese pay close attention to these forecasts and turn out in large numbers at parks, shrines, and temples with family and friends to hold flower-viewing parties. Hanami festivals celebrate the beauty of the cherry blossom and for many are a chance to relax and enjoy the beautiful view.

"Sakura Sakura" (桜桜, さくら さくら), also known as "Sakura", is a traditional Japanese folk song depicting spring, the season of cherry blossom. (from wikipedia)

sakurasakura_v1.jpg

It's a first draft and I'd like to know what you think about it. :)

- Stefan

PS: Probably this coin will become a fundraiser for Japan

Edited by Eartha

You've filled the space very well, but I'd recommend seeing if you can fit something like " -- Traditional Japanese folk song" in there so that the quote is properly attributed. Other than that, I really like the coin! If you could swing the extra cost, would you consider making it a (sakura-) shaped geocoin?

You've filled the space very well, but I'd recommend seeing if you can fit something like " -- Traditional Japanese folk song" in there so that the quote is properly attributed. Other than that, I really like the coin! If you could swing the extra cost, would you consider making it a (sakura-) shaped geocoin?

sakurasakura_v2.jpg

Unfortunatelly I do not know where to put the "track @ geocaching.com" on the shaped version :/

I think it's not possible to mint it on the edge

Comments please :)

The design of the sun reminds me a LOT of the Tribal Sun geocoins:

05e3a484-42c6-4a76-982b-51d52965f7fa.jpg

I know it's not exactly the same, but they strike me as very similar. The shaped coin doesn't remind me of the Tribal Sun coins at all, so if you can stick with that I think you're on the right path to having a more unique coin. Just my opinion, of course!

Edited by Penny and Kona

The design of the sun reminds me a LOT of the Tribal Sun geocoins:

*snip*

I know it's not exactly the same, but they strike me as very similar. The shaped coin doesn't remind me of the Tribal Sun coins at all, so if you can stick with that I think you're on the right path to having a more unique coin. Just my opinion, of course!

Yes, good you mentioned it. While drawing artwork it came to my mind I had seen something like this before but couldn't remember.

I used the Imperial Seal of Japan for sun and rays.

...Unfortunatelly I do not know where to put the "track @ geocaching.com" on the shaped version :/

I think it's not possible to mint it on the edge

Comments please :)

I like both of them! The shaped one is neat. : )

There are a couple of suggestions for the tracking text: one would be to put it as semi-raised text in a "halo" around the sun (following the sun's curve) so that it's covered by the enamel (I'm presuming you're thinking of using trans #14 in the background, right?). Not sure where to put the song citation, though (though of course, now that I /know/ it's a folk song, I look at the shaped coin and think "oh, it's okay". Funny how knowing something changes your perception of it).

I loved the shaped one, and I hope you can make it work.

A question - can they laser engrave on a curve? I've always assumed they couldn't, and tracking codes need to be kept straight, but now that I think about it, I don't actually know for sure!

A comment - you can always curve the "track at geocaching.com" and "a traditional Japanese folk song" to follow the new outline. If you use Illustrator (I have no idea what you use) it's pretty straightforward to have the text on a curved path.

Also, the white/red/pink/black nickel one is divine.

A question - can they laser engrave on a curve? I've always assumed they couldn't, and tracking codes need to be kept straight, but now that I think about it, I don't actually know for sure!

A comment - you can always curve the "track at geocaching.com" and "a traditional Japanese folk song" to follow the new outline. If you use Illustrator (I have no idea what you use) it's pretty straightforward to have the text on a curved path.

sakurasakura_v3.jpg

I'll ask mint if this artwork is possible to mint. Hope the text is not too tiny :/

Will there be both the Japanese flag edition and the re?

Maybe 3 editions in total, and the Japanese flag is one of these.

emm.... I do not know if that is possible... but the rays of the sun and the sun.... reminds me a lot of the old beautiful japanese flag (hmm... I have to fing one of these flags... :anicute: )... so... if you are thinking of the japanese flag... please try this one....

Japanese_empire_flag.png

White and red.... with the pink flowers... in BN.... just like #13....... oh!!! :wub:

The "halo" would be a nice idea, but I thought about a "Japan"-version without transparent color (puristic front)

sakurasakura_japan.jpg

But than the "track @ .." is not visible.... :/

Yup, wanting to use opaque enamel would be a problem. There are three ways around this that I can think of at the moment: 1) make the text 3/4 raised (that is, instead of halfway between recessed and raised, have it almost all the way (but not quite) raised). It should show up through even opaque enamels (but unfortunately there's no guarantee), 2) do the red/white version in red enamel and and satin silver plating, and leave the background empty (I'd recommend dropping a light texture in there, though, so that the text is easier to see) or 3) have the tracking text silkscreened on. Though the latter would cost you more, of course...

Edited to add: I think that Anne has it! If you export your text (that follows the outline) to paths, the mint should be able to treat it as a graphic image that they're laser engraving onto the edge (or should be able to get it into the die -- no laser needed).

P.S. Gatoulis, that's the Imperial Navy Ensign (it's the image that Wenzelbub was talking about). He's split the rays, and the rays don't widen as quickly as those in the ensign do, but that's what he was trying to echo. Wenzelbub, if you worked the text into the edge, you might want to consider having the rays semi- (3/4) raised instead of double-recessed. They'd appear lighter, but they probably would appear faintly through the opaque white enamel -- it could be a neat effect.

Edited by Jackalgirl

The "halo" would be a nice idea, but I thought about a "Japan"-version without transparent color (puristic front)

sakurasakura_japan.jpg

But than the "track @ .." is not visible.... :/

Yup, wanting to use opaque enamel would be a problem. There are three ways around this that I can think of at the moment: 1) make the text 3/4 raised (that is, instead of halfway between recessed and raised, have it almost all the way (but not quite) raised). It should show up through even opaque enamels (but unfortunately there's no guarantee), 2) do the red/white version in red enamel and and satin silver plating, and leave the background empty (I'd recommend dropping a light texture in there, though, so that the text is easier to see) or 3) have the tracking text silkscreened on. Though the latter would cost you more, of course...

Edited to add: I think that Anne has it! If you export your text (that follows the outline) to paths, the mint should be able to treat it as a graphic image that they're laser engraving onto the edge (or should be able to get it into the die -- no laser needed).

P.S. Gatoulis, that's the Imperial Navy Ensign (it's the image that Wenzelbub was talking about). He's split the rays, and the rays don't widen as quickly as those in the ensign do, but that's what he was trying to echo. Wenzelbub, if you worked the text into the edge, you might want to consider having the rays semi- (3/4) raised instead of double-recessed. They'd appear lighter, but they probably would appear faintly through the opaque white enamel -- it could be a neat effect.

Oh! that's the navy flag? WOW!!! I like this flag a lot... hmm... navy flag... why navy flags are pretier than the land flags?? :laughing: I am saying this because the Greek flag that you all know... is the navy flag! A long time ago we were using an other flag... the land flag... which was blue with a white cross..you can still see it in parades...or in the army...

Is the imperial navy flag still in use or they droped it after WWII.... I can not see it anywhere...

Edited by GATOULIS

Got reply from mint:

Just have to take the round 1.75" version because 1.5" is too tiny and for shaped 1.75" the white text on backside isn't possible to mint.

Thickness is 3mm.

Just calculated the quote: Do you think USD 10 plus shipping is too high? (Unique icon and trackable)

And at least 1 USD of each coin will be donated for Japan Earthquake relief.

Quantity is a big factor: Price is for a total quantity of 150.

If I'll order 200 I can go down to USD 9.60 and for 250 it would be USD 9.20. Or still USD 10 and higher donation.

What do you think?

Edited by wenzelbub

Got reply from mint:

Just have to take the round 1.75" version because 1.5" is too tiny and for shaped 1.75" the white text on backside isn't possible to mint.

Had to edit my previous post because mint wrote:

"Text on backside is engraved on mold" and "Text on edge only available on round shaped, irregular shape is not workable"

If I'm not wrong they can do it like shown on my artwork, right? :unsure:

Mint will try something maybe new for this coin but they are not sure if it's workable.. I'll keep it as secret till samples are finished or mint says it's not workable :D

I'm thinking about using soft enamel for branch and flowers...

Just a short status report:

Molds are made for this coin :)

Requested a picture of molds, probably will get it on monday or tuesday.

Samples will take about 6-8 days.

Mint made a very good price, I think I can beat the 10$ :D

I'll reply as soon as I have pictures.

Edited by wenzelbub

MOLD_1.jpgMOLD.jpg

(Texture on backside (left) is missing and and sun on frontside hasn't finished)

The pictures of nearly finished molds are mirrored ;)

Because of light and reflection the mold of frontside looks like the coin will look like, but that's an optical illusion. B)

Can't wait to see the samples (4 different ordered)

Opps, forgot to post same picture I've added to Facebook. :rolleyes:

Sakurasamples_samplesmall.jpg

These are the samples and I'll do some changes.

From left to right:

"Japanese" - no changes

"Night" - moon and blossoms will become glow colors instead of PMS

"Day" - brighter sky and maybe polished nickel instead of antique

"transparent" - no mint, only sample

"Sunset" - no changes

The notation of versions is not fixed!

Sorry, I'm really busy right now and haven't had time to do better pictures. The one shown above is from mint.

Domo!!! (= Howdy in Japanese)

Just Googled "Okinawa" & "Geocoin" in search for another Okinawa geocoin, and found out about this one.

SUPER AWESOME!!!

I love the "Japanese" & "Night" very much!

Of course, if resources would allow, I'd like have all added to my collection of Japan-related Geocoins.

If not, I wanted at least "Japanese" & "Night".

SO, when & how can I purchase these, for how much Yen or doll-hairs?

Oh, I'd like to know about the icon. Have this one a specific & unique icon as well?

Just can't wait for this to come out!

~ Dr.MORO

Because of some small changes on front, mint made new front mold and a new sample:

sakurasamples_new_sunset_1.jpg

sakurasamples_new_sunset_2.jpg

Placed final order last week:

75 "Japanese"

75 "Day"

75 "Sunset"

75 "Night"

= 300 in total, all trackable and one unique icon

Mint will ship them around September 9th --> if everything is ok I'll have them available at webshop around September 16th.

Domo again!

Beautiful!

BTW, what specifically was changed for the front design?

Can we have a sneak-peek at the unique icon as well?

Oh, and will you be accepting pre-orders?

Just can't wait!

~ Dr.MORO

Branch und blossoms in the middle have been on 2nd level. Colorfilling of these parts wasn't as nice as aspected so I've put them on 1st level for new mold.

Haven't started designing unique icon yet.

And sorry, no pre-orders.