GPSMAP 62/78 Ver. 2.94 Beta

dhoag

v2.94. Getting a spurious "Can't Authenticate Maps" message again on boot up, but my CN 2011, Mid Atlantic 24K and Birdseye all seem to enable and load fine. I saw that on 2.93 as well, only a downgrade to v2.92 would fix. Harumph.

The "About" pause is gone.

I'll give it a whirl over the weekend. v2.93 was terrible for me, I was back on v2.92.

Edited by Maingray

I've noticed some JNX perculiarities that resulted from having TWO units with Birdseye images. I found that I get the "Invalid JNX" message when the unit starts up and couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed that not all of my JNX's were showing up on the map screen. The error message was not a fluke and some of my JNX files were in fact, at least with this software version, being found as invalid.

Historically, when I downloaded BirdsEye images I plugged in my GPS (62s or Oregon 450), downloaded the image into "My Collections" and chose to send the image to my unit when the download was complete. I then plug in my other GPS unit (62s or Oregon 450) and send the JNX image to that one as well (Garmins server verifies the subscription before the transfer and unlocks the JNX for both units). With this new software version, the GPS unit which was plugged into the computer during the initial download is the only unit for which the JNX file is checked as valid. The second unit, which I had a subscripton for and noticed Garmins server verifying when I selected the previously downloaded JNX file, no longer validates this JNX file. If you get an "INVALID JNX" file message when you start your GPS it's because of this type of problem and your GPS is NOT displaying those files which it found as invalid for the above mentioned reason.

Solution: Delete all JNX files from the unit and reload them onto your GPS from your "My Collections" folder (you do not have to download the files again). This will reset and reformat the permissions making the tiles compatible with the new JNX checks this new software performs. This is a pain in the arse if you have multiple GB's of imagery. Thanks Garmin. <_<

PS: FYI be sure to transfer the JNX files to the units internal memory first and NOT the sd card that shows up in Basecamp. If you transfer them directly to the sd card the permissions will not be written to the file (the server will not be hit up for a subscription check and validation).

Edited by yogazoo

Scathing but true review of the 62 series.

Part 1: http://freegeographytools.com/2011/still-looking-for-a-good-fieldwork-handheld-gps-a-review-of-the-garmin-62s-part-i

Part 2: http://freegeographytools.com/2011/a-review-of-the-garmin-62s-gps-part-ii-interface-and-maps

Part 3: http://freegeographytools.com/2011/a-review-of-the-garmin-62s-gps-part-iii-waypoints-and-tracks-plus-conclusions?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FreeGeographyTools+%28Free+Geography+Tools%29

Given this snails pace of buggy software releases and operating system quirks for the 62 series I too cannot wait for a ruggedized, open source Andriod GPS. It's going to be the death-nell for Garmin if they don't get their H.O.O.T.A. and instead of focusing on how to protect their precious JNX file system, focus on how to add functionality and user friendlyness to their over-priced proprietary systems.

Still an issue with 3D maps not showing roads in Garmin Discoverer 50k maps.

Setup Map > Orientation > Automotive mode did display 3D 'sat-nav' style map prior to 2.93.

Beta Team reply back in March was: 'We haven't had time to look into any issues regarding Discoverer maps. There happened to be a couple of major bugs with the latest beta that absolutely need to be fixed as soon as possible. We will look into what is going on with the Discoverer maps soon.'

I have got to agree with Yogazoo on his quotes below....

..... snails pace of buggy software releases and operating system quirks for the 62 series.....

..... It's going to be the death-nell for Garmin if they don't get their H.O.O.T.A. and instead of focusing on how to protect their precious JNX file system, focus on how to add functionality and user friendlyness to their over-priced proprietary systems......

I'd rather we kept this thread on topic to the Beta, but not keen on the quoted reviews as they don't even touch use of the units in the context of geocaching, which is my main use of the device. I only use the track and waypoint functionality a little (Get me back to my car!). In fact, the review is actually pretty good for the 62 apart from those two facts, hardly "scathing". Go back to a non-paperless unit? No thanks.

And until the battery life of smartphones reaches something actually useable in the field, separate devices are going to be the way to go. I'd like my phone to be actually used to call for help at the end of a loong geocaching day.

So far so good with the Beta. Definitely reminds me of the early Oregon days with small steps. My only real bug bear is with the delay in selecting non-geocaching features on the map.

PS Of course now that I've been playing with my sons new Explorist GC, Magellan is ahead of Garmin in paperless features and I want some of those features on the 62/78!

Edited by Maingray

Agreed, this thread should be kept on the discussion of the beta. In a moment of frustration I posted a generality (never punish your kids when your angry).

My uses differ from many here in that I use my unit for data gathering and field work. The review linked above expressed the opinions of someone looking at the unit throught the eyes of someone who doesn't geocache. I also disagree that the review didin't spank Garmin a more than a little for the 62s shortcomings as a field/data gathering tool. After all and in the end the reviewer couldn't recommend the unit to people who use GPS as a field tool and expressed a high level of dissapointment. Aside form the paperless caching features and aerial imagery, I couldn't agree more with that assessment.

Addressing my experience after a weekend of use with the new beta: multiple freezes, sluggish screen redraws and problems viewing proper JNX files. Garmin requested I send them a sample of the JNX files I'm having problems with so I did. They have replied that they have found "issues relating to" older JNX files downloaded in previous versions of BaseCamp.

The problems with the new handling of JNX files seem to bleed over into other operations and functions, at least for me. Perhaps my JNX files are corrupted somehow, or perhaps some combination of maps, imagery, misc files is causing me more issues than most are experiencing. Bottom line is when I revert back to v2.92 my issues go away. I seem to be the outlier here so be that as it may.

So have the fresh JNX files resolved the "Invalid Birdseye Files" message? How about performance? I think that perhaps some of the JNX files downloaded with previous versions of Basecamp weren't writing the permissions as reliably as one would have hoped when transferring to a unit, at least not how the new firmware runs the checks. I've gotten the "Invalid" message with new JNX files but it was when I tried to drag and drop the files to the unit. As I stated above, make sure you right click on the file or files and choose "Send to GPS". Both methods seem to check the server but only the "Send to GPS" seems to correctly write the permissions. I am however just speculating in regards to what I'm observing.

And in a seperate inquiry, have your issues with JNX files being "invalid" been reported to Garmin?

Edited by yogazoo

I've never had the Invalid JNX message, but I did get a "Can't authenticate maps" message twice when I first upgraded to 2.94. Haven't seen it since on multiple reboots. I never drag and dropped JNX to the unit, always used BC to transfer.

Performance. The only repeating issue I've had this with beta (apart from the slow response to enter on a non-geocache map feature) is a map freeze on first turning the unit on after being off for a while. Cant zoom out, in or anything... "menu" button takes you to the menu OK, "map setup" option works but you cant highlight the field to enable/disable maps. My guess is the unit is busy with satellite fix. Just gotta wait. Its a frustrating wait though. I don't see if the unit is simply powered off then back on.

Dropped back to 2.92 after today. 232 caches in a day and my 62s behaved terribly.. two beaming episodes resulted in a subset of caches being lost, multiple hangs (most commonly when a screen is sliding out of view on page transition), with two crashes resulting in loss of all caches (had to re-index with power-page-enter), plus continuous lack of city navigator authentication so road routing was not possible. Going back to 2.92 allows me to view CN maps. Lets see if 2.92 behaves well again.