Garmin Oregon x50 software version 4.47 Beta

dfx

Oregon x50 software version 4.47 Beta

as of March 14, 2011 :unsure:

http://www8.garmin.c...ils.jsp?id=4743

Changes made from version 4.45 to 4.47:

• Fixed shutdown when selecting an option on the 'Where To?' page that was introduced with 4.45 beta
  • Fixed ANT connectivity issues that were introduced with 4.45 beta
  • Fixed the slow rendering time of the 'About' page that was introduced with 4.45 beta
  • Fixed a bug introduced in 4.45 beta where JNX settings were not being saved for each profile
  • Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings
  • Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com

Ha, I beat allory! :lol:

Oregon x50 software version 4.47 Beta

as of March 14, 2011 :unsure:

Ha, I beat allory! :lol:

Odd, almost a month ago, I see you noticed too.

Setting up nicely for non-Beta v 4.50 for my OR 450, currently at v3.90. :P

It's the same date as they had on 4.45, I guess they just forgot to change it after copy/paste :P

Well, the only question now is which one of you brave souls (read: suckers) is going to give it a go? :)

DFX: Is the "Go" screen still slow as molasses when selecting a waypoint (other than a geocache) from the map screen? In v4,45 I got a whit screen for about 30 seconds.

Edited by yogazoo

Installed it first thing the the mighty 550 this AM. 15 finds on a great, sunny day, no dnfs. All seems OK so far.

Well, the only question now is which one of you brave souls (read: suckers) is going to give it a go? :)

Umm - drop the 'suckers' thing please, makes you sound unkind. The 'brave souls' gets the message across. I don't mind taking a leap for you now and again.

Your welcome.

DFX: Is the "Go" screen still slow as molasses when selecting a waypoint (other than a geocache) from the map screen? In v4,45 I got a whit screen for about 30 seconds.

I never had that problem in the first place, so I can't answer.

Not me!!!!!!

Wireless transfer works good between my CO and OR with this beta, as does chirp. My "About" screen still sits at a blank white page for 27 seconds before the info is displayed. I have no pause while selecting go to a waypoint as yogazoo reported in the last beta, however I also din't have that issue with 4.45b.

[One thing I didn't mention was that after the install, selecting a cache froze the screen so I powered down and tried again. Maybe I just wasn't waiting long enough. In any case, I did a master reset and everything is hunky dory.

Does anyone else with BirdsEye see empty white blocks in the Select Map menu? I get a white block it seems for each JNX loaded. There is also no universal selection button for Birdseye Imagery. I now will have to go through and enable each one at a time. Stupid.

Edited by yogazoo

Wireless transfer works good between my CO and OR with this beta, as does chirp. My "About" screen still sits at a blank white page for 27 seconds before the info is displayed. I have no pause while selecting go to a waypoint as yogazoo reported in the last beta, however I also din't have that issue with 4.45b.

I just checked my Oregon 450's "about" screen with 4.47 running. Takes about 1.5 seconds to populate the screen after I hit the "about" button.

I just checked my Oregon 450's "about" screen with 4.47 running. Takes about 1.5 seconds to populate the screen after I hit the "about" button.

I assume you have no birdseye images on your device. On the map select screen if I select my birdseye images and hit the "i" info button, i have to wait the same 20+ seconds befoe it gives me the details, which are minimal.

Alright, try this one out,

Go to your map screen and select a little tree waypoint (park or place of interest). It's only the "little tree" waypoints that give me a 20-30 second delay when selected before the info/"GO" screen pops up. This behaviour is universal for waypoints on my 62s but I found only the "little tree" waypoints give me this problem on the Oregon 450.

I've noticed some JNX perculiarities that resulted from having TWO units with Birdseye images. I found that I get the "Invalid JNX" message when the unit starts up and couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed that not all of my JNX's were showing up on the map screen. The error message was not a fluke and some of my JNX files were in fact, at least with this software version, being found as invalid.

Historically, when I downloaded BirdsEye images I plugged in my GPS (62s or Oregon 450), downloaded the image into "My Collections" and chose to send the image to my unit when the download was complete. I then plug in my other GPS unit (62s or Oregon 450) and send the JNX image to that one as well (Garmins server verifies the subscription before the transfer and unlocks the JNX for both units). With this new software version, the GPS unit which was plugged into the computer during the initial download is the only unit for which the JNX file is checked as valid. The second unit, which I had a subscripton for and noticed Garmins server verifying when I selected the previously downloaded JNX file, no longer validates this JNX file. If you get an "INVALID JNX" file message when you start your GPS it's because of this type of problem and your GPS is NOT displaying those files which it found as invalid for the above mentioned reason.

Solution: Delete all JNX files from the unit and reload them onto your GPS from your "My Collections" folder (you do not have to download the files again). This will reset and reformat the permissions making the tiles compatible with the new JNX checks this new software performs. This is a pain in the arse if you have multiple GB's of imagery. Thanks Garmin. <_<

PS: FYI be sure to transfer the JNX files to the units internal memory first and NOT the sd card that shows up in Basecamp. If you transfer them directly to the sd card the permissions will not be written to the file (the server will not be hit up for a subscription check and validation).

Edited by yogazoo

Alright, try this one out,

Go to your map screen and select a little tree waypoint (park or place of interest). It's only the "little tree" waypoints that give me a 20-30 second delay when selected before the info/"GO" screen pops up. This behaviour is universal for waypoints on my 62s but I found only the "little tree" waypoints give me this problem on the Oregon 450.

Sorry not seeing this issue with the "tree" icon, the info/details/go screen comes up within 1-2 seconds on my 450

Must have something to do with my newly "INVALID JNX" files. I can't wait until a ruggedized Android GPS comes out so I can leave this BS of buggy firmware and waiting on Garmin to address issues.

Over in the thread for the 62 beta people are having trouble with selecting waypoints form the map screen so I know I'm not crazy. It has everything to do with the invalid jnx files. Thanks for trying it savant9. You frustrate me with your wonderfully working GPS unit while mine sputters along. :) Stupid JNX files!

Edited by yogazoo

The GPS chip frequently dies with this firmware. Happened at least 3 times already. Suddenly the "lost reception" message pops up and I have to reboot the unit. Guess the GPS firmware still isn't quite ready yet.

I've had exactly the same thing happen to me, twice so far. In my case, I drove through two long tunnels in Pittsburgh, where my unit always loses reception. When I emerged from the tunnel, the unit didn't regain the signal as it normally does, and I had to reboot the unit to get it functioning again.

Sure will be nice when they gets these kinks worked out....

--Larry

FYI,

I've been back and forth with Garmin about the invalid JNX file message that appears sometimes during boot up. First I'd like to say that the Beta teams are very responsive and work extremely hard to identify and resolve reported, reproduceable issues. They even built a custom version of the Unit software for me (v4.48) that reported a specific error code for them to diagnose with. The problem with the "invalid birdseye" message has everything to do with owning two or more units with birdseye subscriptions and the way Basecamp handles writing permissions to the file upon uploading to the units. Sometimes the correct unit id is not written to the jnx file. The problem shouldn't be experienced if you only have one unit with a birdseye subscription. The Basecamp team has located the issue in the code and I have been assured that a new version of Basecamp, to be expected very soon, will resolve this issue.

Edited by yogazoo

FYI,

I've been back and forth with Garmin about the invalid JNX file message that appears sometimes during boot up. First I'd like to say that the Beta teams are very responsive and work extremely hard to identify and resolve reported, reproduceable issues. They even built a custom version of the Unit software for me (v4.48) that reported a specific error code for them to diagnose with. The problem with the "invalid birdseye" message has everything to do with owning two or more units with birdseye subscriptions and the way Basecamp handles writing permissions to the file upon uploading to the units. Sometimes the correct unit id is not written to the jnx file. The problem shouldn't be experienced if you only have one unit with a birdseye subscription. The Basecamp team has located the issue in the code and I have been assured that a new version of Basecamp, to be expected very soon, will resolve this issue.

Where's the *like* button? ;)

Good to hear.

Garmin said that this upgrade "Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings", but the waypoint manager still displays bearings as true when the heading is set to "magnetic". Only when displayed on the map is the bearing converted to magnetic.

OregonBeta@garmin.com

I'd recommend the latest non-beta firmware. The latest beta works fine for the most part, but two days ago I lost reception about 10 times within not even 2 hours. Quite annoying. Of course yesterday and today I had no problems at all.

Edited by dfx

So, what is the "best" latest software for the Oregon 450 for those of us who are not so technical inclined? Should us non techies go with the new beta or stick with something else?? Thanks for all your help and advice, we do appreciate it.

I've been doing just fine with 4.32, the last 'stable' beta before these recent beta versions. There seems to have been no 4.40 release code made available to anyone unless it happened to show up on a shipped unit, and we don't know anything about it here.

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/oregon/Oregonx50_432Beta.exe

I'm on the latest non-beta firmware. Have the two 'improvements to GPS accuracy' listed in the changelog since made a noticeable improvement?

Bought a 450t a couple of days ago and I am debating whether to return it. Accuracy for me is often very good, but I hear the 60csx is better and might switch to that.

I'm on the latest non-beta firmware. Have the two 'improvements to GPS accuracy' listed in the changelog since made a noticeable improvement?

Accuracy did improve, but WAAS performance is still worse than with the stable firmware, and the GPS firmware is generally still buggy (hence, beta). However, the assertion "60csx = best ever" isn't necessarily true.

Bought a 450t a couple of days ago and I am debating whether to return it. Accuracy for me is often very good, but I hear the 60csx is better and might switch to that.

Funny thing - my sister in law had a 60 csx and moved to the 450T. Do what feels good. The accuracy debate is a tempest in a teapot. Accuracy goes to the lowest common denominator. The best accuracy on a hunt is immaterial if the hide was badly done. A buddy (he with a Mag 610) and I (G550) did 5 caches the other day, all placed with a Mag 500 (I think). My buddy and I had almost all the caches off by 45 feet in exactly the same area.

Ya, I’ve found that a more accurate GPS can be a bad thing. There have been many times I couldn’t find a cache because my GPS kept repeating GZ within a few feet and I only searched about a 50’ radius. Several minutes later I find the stinkin’ cache 80’ or 100’ away from GZ because the owner didn’t take the time to check their coords. If I would have just wandered a little outside the normal error zone I would have found it easily.

These two beta GPS accuracy improvements, will they do anything to help getting a realiable signal?

Been caching in the woods the last two days and on a few caches GPS just sent me around in circles.

Reading the logs it has happened to others but I am hoping these betas and the eventual gold release would improve the situation.

Still thinking of returning the 450t, but I really do like the features over the 60csx.

Still if the 60scx can handle tree cover better than us, might have to consider the switch.

Been caching in the woods the last two days and on a few caches GPS just sent me around in circles.

Reading the logs it has happened to others but I am hoping these betas and the eventual gold release would improve the situation.

While a high sensitivity receiver (60CSx and all recent Garmin models, Oregons included) will be a huge improvement under tree cover, don't be surprised that ALL of them suffer some in that environment. New firmware isn't going to fix that. I believe that the only thing at issue with any of the newer units is the problem of locking a WAAS (or EGNOS, if you're 'over there') signal to help improve accuracy - NOT sensitivity. If you're getting hammered by the canopy above, the small additional correction of WAAS won't make much difference.
While a high sensitivity receiver (60CSx and all recent Garmin models, Oregons included) will be a huge improvement under tree cover, don't be surprised that ALL of them suffer some in that environment. New firmware isn't going to fix that. I believe that the only thing at issue with any of the newer units is the problem of locking a WAAS (or EGNOS, if you're 'over there') signal to help improve accuracy - NOT sensitivity. If you're getting hammered by the canopy above, the small additional correction of WAAS won't make much difference.

WAAS won't make a difference, but the larger antenna might, even though most likely only a small one. But firmware also plays a role, I've noticed that the position "smoothing" or whatever you wanna call it, that Oregons and all other related devices (Dakotas, 62s) do, can get quite annoying. It seems that the worse the reported accuracy is, the more likely it is to stop giving you updated position information under certain circumstances. The result is that I may be standing there and it shows me 20 meters this way, then I slowly walk 20 meters or even more and the display on the GPS doesn't change, still tells me 20 meters this way. Almost like it's got static navigation enabled, and most likely this is firmware dependent and so it's possible that the 60 doesn't suffer from this problem. But this is just a guess, I've never used a 60 myself.

Was holding off trying the beta as I was considering returning the unit for a 60csx (Having supposedly inferior accuracy bothers me to no end) But I've gotten accustomed to the Oregon's features so it's a keeper.

Well anyway, been using latest beta for the last couple days. Haven't run across any bugs yet and comparing new and old tracks, accuracy seems a bit better.

Are you guys reporting your findings back to Garmin? I'd like to as well, how is this done? Don't see anything obvious on their site for this.

Are you guys reporting your findings back to Garmin? I'd like to as well, how is this done? Don't see anything obvious on their site for this.

Last bullet in the release notes:

• Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com

wow, too late :D

Edited by dfx