Anyone list/hunt caches using sites other than GC.com?

I'm new to caching and I have checked out other cache websites and to me GC.com is the best site out there. I have found myself wondering about using other sites also and was wondering if this is frowned on or is this something that others do here?

can frown on it all they want, bottom line is you can't tell people what to do

talking about it here is a different story, like any "business" GC doesn't really want people coming here chatting about the "competition"

I'm new to caching and I have checked out other cache websites and to me GC.com is the best site out there. I have found myself wondering about using other sites also and was wondering if this is frowned on or is this something that others do here?

can frown on it all they want, bottom line is you can't tell people what to do

talking about it here is a different story, like any "business" GC doesn't really want people coming here chatting about the "competition"

I believe its fine to talk about it, just don't "advertise" it. :anibad:

Nope. Never used any of them longer than discovering that this site is the 800 pound gorilla in a room full of fleas.

In North America, yes. In Europe, not so much. But the OP is from the former. Why yes, I've hidden caches on all of them, including one four days ago. IBTL, by the way. :o

I've listed caches at other sites. Never got a single find on any of my caches on one site in close to 9 years. Think I got 1 or 2 finds on a cache I listed on another site. Listed a few caches at the newest site out of curiosity and in 3 months, not a single find.

The caches are here and the cachers are here so I really see no need to use other sites.

Nope. Never used any of them longer than discovering that this site is the 800 pound gorilla in a room full of fleas.

In North America, yes. In Europe, not so much. But the OP is from the former. Why yes, I've hidden caches on all of them, including one four days ago. IBTL, by the way. :o

Yes you have. Or at least all but garmins attempt. Or was that you that hid the cache in North Buffalo?

I've listed caches at other sites. Never got a single find on any of my caches on one site in close to 9 years. Think I got 1 or 2 finds on a cache I listed on another site. Listed a few caches at the newest site out of curiosity and in 3 months, not a single find.

The caches are here and the cachers are here so I really see no need to use other sites.

Yeah, I noticed on one site that several caches where not found in YEARS.

NC was a zombie before I started caching so I've never bothered. In fact, I'm a strong advocate for that site shutting down entirely as it is grossly obsolete.

I've hunted a few TC caches and have a GPX with some more nearby to check. I don't care much for the site interface or the very limited info a non-PM GPX gives you.

I've got a Virtual (a historic building) listed on OCUS just to try it out since there was nothing anywhere near me. With no nearby hides I have done no searching. Of all the other sites, I think I like their interface the most.

I've been over to the GarOC site several times and will probably keep dropping my head in occasionally to see what's going on. But the only nearby caches are all cross-listed here and the place is still in such a beta state I don't feel any motivation to list there. Maybe that will change some day.

Really, I've not had issues with the Lillypad so I don't have any real motivation to go elsewhere. Especially given the quantity of caches here. And after a year of caching I've largely learned how to tune out the ones that wont interest me.

Edited by Joshism

Yes you have. Or at least all but garmins attempt. Or was that you that hid the cache in North Buffalo?

No! Sorry, no interest in Garmincaching. Navicache needs to throw in the towel, Terracaching almost did, but was "saved" at the last minute. There's only one place I will go for an alternative, and it's not just another cross-listing site. And I am still IBTL. :D

A lot more caches seem cross-listed on the German service, but the majority are definitely here. Poked around the other German site a couple times, saw that the layout was poor and the numbers were fewer, and never looked back. But I do know some cachers who archived all of their geocaching.com listings and took all of their game to the other site. Which is a shame, they had some great caches, but hey, their choice.

(IBTL)

A lot more caches seem cross-listed on the German service, but the majority are definitely here. Poked around the other German site a couple times, saw that the layout was poor and the numbers were fewer, and never looked back. But I do know some cachers who archived all of their geocaching.com listings and took all of their game to the other site. Which is a shame, they had some great caches, but hey, their choice.

(IBTL)

Oh, we're not really going to locked. I'm probably wrong though. :anibad: Now one of the ones you must be talking about is opencaching.de This to my knowledge is the 2nd largest geocache database in the world, with about 50,000 listings. Are many or most of these cross-listed here? I've always wondered, but figured I'd never know, since I don't speak German.

There is a new magazine ad for Opencaching. Features a Garmin 62st with a cache listing on the screen. A Geocaching.com listing with a GC Code, not an opencache, not a cross-listed ncache. Apparently, even the folks at Garmin prefer to hunt at gc.com! Either that or they applied the same level of attention to detail to this ad that they did when creating their site.

Can you say 'marketing fail'?

While looking for a GC.com cache, I realized I went right by one of those virtual-cache substitute thingies, you know, at that other site where virtuals were banished to and left to flourish on their own fertilizer.

Nobody had logged it in the almost 5 years the listing existed.

I'm not sure if that's much of a distinction in that particular game.

What OC caches there are in our state are duplicates of GC caches. Most were copied over when that site was setup. Now they seem mostly abandonded as caches that are getting archived on the GC website are not being updated on the OC website.

At this point I have no need or reason to hunt/place on another cache listing website.

OpenCaching by Garmin seems to be gaining some ground but it has a very small amount of caches compared to here. I wouldn't bother until it gets more popular.

And most of the caches it is gaining are cross listed from GC.com. The basic question I have is why after finding and logging on GC.com would I want to log the same cache on another site? Seems like an exercise in redundancy for no real gain or reason. And a number of the caches that were cross listed show no logs on the garmin site while they show logs on GC.com. Apparently others feel the same way.

I don't because I really don't have time to keep track of all those other sites to be honest, and that includes Waymarking. Nothing against them, I'm just a one-site kinda gal when it comes to caching I suppose.
You aren't alone. I know a few people who have listed new caches on other sites, usually when a listing was denied by the volunteer reviewers here. But those caches just languish, with very few people looking for or finding them.

OpenCaching by Garmin seems to be gaining some ground but it has a very small amount of caches compared to here. I wouldn't bother until it gets more popular.

And most of the caches it is gaining are cross listed from GC.com. The basic question I have is why after finding and logging on GC.com would I want to log the same cache on another site? Seems like an exercise in redundancy for no real gain or reason. And a number of the caches that were cross listed show no logs on the garmin site while they show logs on GC.com. Apparently others feel the same way.

Cross listing is really the only issue I have with other sites. If you are going to offer something different then dang it, offer something different. If all you are really doing is duplicating a part of the GC database then what is the point?

All my newer caches are listed elsewhere and not cross listed, no point otherwise. I cache on two sites. This one for caching in a group where the company and the day out are more important to me than the caches I find, and the other because I far prefer the common sense approach to review and the philosophy of the site. It's more like how this place used to be.

Not saying other sites are perfect but then niether is this one.

Edited by Icenians

We have a winner. More importantly, I'd add, the REVIEWERS are here.

This what my local area looks like. Compared to this, there are two listings on the other site. and both are crossed listed.

8ce575fa-ab67-433e-a4bb-39784507ff37.jpg

There is a new magazine ad for Opencaching. Features a Garmin 62st with a cache listing on the screen. A Geocaching.com listing with a GC Code, not an opencache, not a cross-listed ncache. Apparently, even the folks at Garmin prefer to hunt at gc.com! Either that or they applied the same level of attention to detail to this ad that they did when creating their site.

I bought a Garmin unit a few weeks ago and it came with an insert for a free 1 month membership here. I thought that was hilarious.

I bought a Garmin unit a few weeks ago and it came with an insert for a free 1 month membership here. I thought that was hilarious.

Yeah, but did you stop and think what a one month's membership is worth on the garmin site? That should help bring things into better focus.