I Hacked the Favorites Points...not really...

Well, yesterday my mom and I were in the city so we went to walk around and find some caches. We found the first one easily but DNFed the next 3 that we looked for...(we only looked for 4). So on the way home I tried using the Geocaching app that I had downloaded on my mom's phone to log the caches. So I logged the first one as found. Then I tried to log the next three as "did not find" but I forgot both times to click the "log type" button and my DNFs came out as Found it logs. So the app doesn't let you delete or edit logs so I just decided to wait until I got home to edit those two and post a DNF log for the fourth one...When I got home I did that and DELETED the found it logs...Today I was checking my profile and it said that I have 2 favorite points remaining AND that I needed 10 more logs until my next favorite point (it thought that I had 50 finds already). Heres the catch! I started with only 47 finds and 1 favorite point before my mom and I went caching. I found one making it 48. Then I posted two ACCIDENTAL found it logs....making 50! I deleted the logs later but the Favorites bar still said that I had 50 finds and 2 favorite points...

So really all you would have to do is log a bunch of blank found its (or log all of your DNFs as found its first with the words DNF in it) and then you just delete the logs and post DNF logs or no log at all. I'm not saying that I would do this but I think they need to fix this...or maybe, I just thought of this, its because of the app on the PHONE that when I deleted them on the COMPUTER the favorite points stayed the same because the geocaching profile thing was confused.

All I know is that you could get a lot of favorite points...the only thing is that the CO's might start to wonder why they keep getting blank "Found It!" logs from you that never seem to be there the next time they check their cache page!!!

What do you think?

Edited by jacob501

I think knock yourself out and rack up those fav points. I hear you get a free stuffed signal doll when you hit 100 fav points. You trade them in at HQ office. I've been saving ours and we are up to 600+ so that means I get at least 6 stuffed signals. Also if you get up to 1000 favs HQ lets you dress up as Signal :antenna: for a day. How sweet is that?

I think knock yourself out and rack up those fav points. I hear you get a free stuffed signal doll when you hit 100 fav points. You trade them in at HQ office. I've been saving ours and we are up to 600+ so that means I get at least 6 stuffed signals. Also if you get up to 1000 favs HQ lets you dress up as Signal :antenna: for a day. How sweet is that?
So, do you have to get 100 Favorite Points (FPs) or use 100 FPs?

I have enough FPs for a couple plush Signals, but need to use a bunch more to get both Signals.

Also, can I just mail FPs into GS HQ, or do I have to go in person?

Thanks for the info!

:unsure:

Edited by Too Tall John
So, do you have to get 100 Favorite Points (FPs) or use 100 FPs?

I have enough FPs for a couple plush Signals, but need to use a bunch more to get both Signals.

Also, can I just mail FPs into GS HQ, or do I have to go in person?

Thanks for the info!

:unsure:

1st you need to earn the FPs then you use the FPs for the Signal doll. Yes you have to go to HQ and present your FPs in person. I hear this is limited time only though.

So really all you would have to do is log a bunch of blank found its (or log all of your DNFs as found its first with the words DNF in it) and then you just delete the logs and post DNF logs or no log at all. I'm not saying that I would do this but I think they need to fix this...or maybe, I just thought of this, its because of the app on the PHONE that when I deleted them on the COMPUTER the favorite points stayed the same because the geocaching profile thing was confused.

All I know is that you could get a lot of favorite points...the only thing is that the CO's might start to wonder why they keep getting blank "Found It!" logs from you that never seem to be there the next time they check their cache page!!!

What do you think?

putting aside the fact that blank logs are disrespectful and that i hate them with a passion....

why would you delete it when you can just edit the log and change the type from "Found" to "Did Not Find"? :blink:

It's (somewhat) well known already that the number of favorite points people have and get is frequently off. I don't think I've seen an official statement on this matter yet.

See post 4. I don't think that speculation is much of a stretch when the ratios were first presented had exactly the same issue with 'deleted' logs.

No offense, but personally I double-check whether or not I'm talking to an adult before making sarcastic remarks like this. If the profile pic is accurate, Jacob's a fairly young cacher...

No offense, but personally I double-check whether or not I'm talking to an adult before making sarcastic remarks like this. If the profile pic is accurate, Jacob's a fairly young cacher...

None taken. I know who he is(not personally) he wants someone to take him geocaching, he wants help with his homework and now he knows how to rack up those FPs. I'm happy that you check profiles before you answer someone. Those remarks were not sarcastic just joking around. Besides how sweet would it be to get one of those Signal dolls. I'll send you one when I get mine if that would make you feel better.

None taken. I know who he is(not personally) he wants someone to take him geocaching, he wants help with his homework and now he knows how to rack up those FPs. I'm happy that you check profiles before you answer someone. Those remarks were not sarcastic just joking around. Besides how sweet would it be to get one of those Signal dolls. I'll send you one when I get mine if that would make you feel better.

I don't check *every* profile,but I do double-check when I suspect someone's underage. Have to be honest, btw - the fact that you apparently find him annoying rather tends to support my initial impression that your post wasn't particularly friendly.

Re Signal dolls, no thanks... my dogs killerate stuffed toys in short order. :lol:

I don't check *every* profile,but I do double-check when I suspect someone's underage. Have to be honest, btw - the fact that you apparently find him annoying rather tends to support my initial impression that your post wasn't particularly friendly.

Re Signal dolls, no thanks... my dogs killerate stuffed toys in short order. :lol:

Seriously. I don't find the kid to be annoying at all. I like when kids play on their own. My son is probably the same age as the OP. What I find annoying is when people assume things or try to read between the lines and throw there 2 cents in when they know absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

Hack away!

You can post finds on your own caches all day long...hmmm, do you get fav points for those?

Guess I should try it before spouting-off here. :rolleyes:

700 available fav points and counting...

When the favorites came out, I actually spent the time to go back and assign a point to the caches that I remembered as being special. I used up about half of my points. I have only assigned two points since. I'm hiking and finding caches, and I'm grabbing the P&G's if they are close to home. I'm sad to say that nothing has really impressed me in the last couple of months to where I feel I should assign a point. My favorite allotment has actually grown.

I think you did a good job spotting a software problem Jacob!

Off subject, but I think your avatar and phrase are hilarious! :laughing:

Even more OT...That avatar appears regularly on another forum...are you a goon?

Goon? Nope. we have a white cat and I thought this pic was pretty entertaining!

Seriously. I don't find the kid to be annoying at all.

Well, then I'm puzzled as to why you replied to my original post with what comes across as complaints about him asking for homework help etc.

I like when kids play on their own. My son is probably the same age as the OP. What I find annoying is when people assume things or try to read between the lines and throw there 2 cents in when they know absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

<shrug> Repeatedly attempting to insult me, when I've been nothing but polite, isn't going to accomplish you much. And if you have a son in that age range, then you ought to appreciate someone speaking up when a post to a youngster comes across as snarky. (And no "reading between the lines" was needed to get that impression, sorry. Maybe if you'd added a "just kidding" or some such, it wouldn't have been so open to misinterpretation?)

But if it really wasn't intended that way, then there's no reason for you to get your knickers in such a twist. :rolleyes: right back atcha, kiddo.

BTW - I wasn't "upset" originally, nor am I even remotely "upset" now. :lol:

I'm also not new to these forums, or to geocaching even though I've not posted much in the last couple of years.

Te only thing lamer than trying to beat the (favorite) system is your sarcastic post.

Seriously. I don't find the kid to be annoying at all.

Well, then I'm puzzled as to why you replied to my original post with what comes across as complaints about him asking for homework help etc.

I like when kids play on their own. My son is probably the same age as the OP. What I find annoying is when people assume things or try to read between the lines and throw there 2 cents in when they know absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

<shrug> Repeatedly attempting to insult me, when I've been nothing but polite, isn't going to accomplish you much. And if you have a son in that age range, then you ought to appreciate someone speaking up when a post to a youngster comes across as snarky. (And no "reading between the lines" was needed to get that impression, sorry. Maybe if you'd added a "just kidding" or some such, it wouldn't have been so open to misinterpretation?)

But if it really wasn't intended that way, then there's no reason for you to get your knickers in such a twist. :rolleyes: right back atcha, kiddo.

BTW - I wasn't "upset" originally, nor am I even remotely "upset" now. :lol:

I'm also not new to these forums, or to geocaching even though I've not posted much in the last couple of years.

Why don't you read some of the topics he has started. Those weren't complaint either.Also I have not insulted you in the least. Maybe you need to get the twist out of your knickers. :laughing: your making a big deal out of nothing.

Te only thing lamer than trying to beat the (favorite) system is your sarcastic post.

Your post was pretty lame.

Your post was pretty lame.

Nice.. :rolleyes:

Besides how sweet would it be to get one of those Signal dolls. I'll send you one when I get mine if that would make you feel better.

Forgive me if I'm being completely ignorant or don't realize is is all sarcasm, but Is it true that you get a free signal doll when you reach 100 fav points?

Besides how sweet would it be to get one of those Signal dolls. I'll send you one when I get mine if that would make you feel better.

Forgive me if I'm being completely ignorant or don't realize is is all sarcasm, but Is it true that you get a free signal doll when you reach 100 fav points?

For platinum members yes.

For platinum members yes.

Do you mean premium members?