FTF's in one day.

I tried for 18 one late evening just because I was in a position to do so.

Ended up with 5 FTFs, 4 finds and 9 DNF's. Four of the DNFs had bad coordinates, four I failed to find in the dark (easy in daylight) and 1 had not been put out by the owner yet.

Never again.

FTFers, the unheralded guinea pigs of the caching community.

I just looked at my FTF bookmark list. I have a total of 228 FTF. After the first 200 I figured I'd give it a rest and let others get the FTF.

I used to be pretty fanatic about it. These days I'll give it a shot once in a while if it's close. No more zooming out to the river on a moonless night in the pouring rain at 11:00 PM when I had to get up before 6:00 AM the next morning for work. No more finishing up my logs at 3:00 AM when I had to get up by 7:00 to drive 3.5 hours because the next day was Thanksgiving and I had promised my wife I'd do the driving on the way to the relative's house. Nope, nope, nope. I've had my fair share of FTF and others can do that crazy stuff now.

I show 3 days with 7 FTF, 1 day with 9 FTF, and my personal best is 10 FTF in one day.

I don't know about any recorded records, but I suspect that ScubaSonic probably has the most in a day; or whoever the first person to do the ET trail was...

My personal FTFs in one day record is I think 9 or 10; but I don't really keep careful track of them.

ScubaSonics stats show that he has 9 FTF's in a day.

I don't understand the disire to be FTF. I normally wait for those who think FTF is a big deal to go get the FTF before I go look. But sometimes I end up first anyway. I was FTF on 2 caches today but I did not mention it in my logs. I was FTF on another one about a week ago that was 5.5 miles from the parking lot, but I did not mention FTF in my log. The way things are nowadays numbers are a joke. So what's the big deal about being the first to lift a lamppost skirt? I remember you braging about all the FTFs you got on a couple of days. I also remember you saying how easy all the caches were. So you have high FTFs for a day, but does that mean you are a skilled cacher or that you just happened to be in the right place at the right time? Who could not have found all those FTFs if they just happened to be the first to look for them? Lets consider another cache we both logged as a find (your log does not indicate if you made the find or somone else in your group made the find): GC232V9 I think that was the last cache I mentioned FTF in my log. Before I found the cache, many very experienced cachers had spent many hours looking for this extremely well hidden cache-If I remember correctly there were at least 40 cacher hours spent looking for it before I found it. Your question makes it sound like you think high numbers of FTFs in a day is meaningful. I don't agree. Some think it is all about the numbers. I think it is about the hunt. What would you say was harder to do, find all the FTFs you found that day or FTF on GC232V9? Pure numbers do not take into account difficulity. So any "record" would be pretty silly.

I don't understand the disire to be FTF. I normally wait for those who think FTF is a big deal to go get the FTF before I go look. But sometimes I end up first anyway. I was FTF on 2 caches today but I did not mention it in my logs. I was FTF on another one about a week ago that was 5.5 miles from the parking lot, but I did not mention FTF in my log. The way things are nowadays numbers are a joke. So what's the big deal about being the first to lift a lamppost skirt? I remember you braging about all the FTFs you got on a couple of days. I also remember you saying how easy all the caches were. So you have high FTFs for a day, but does that mean you are a skilled cacher or that you just happened to be in the right place at the right time? Who could not have found all those FTFs if they just happened to be the first to look for them? Lets consider another cache we both logged as a find (your log does not indicate if you made the find or somone else in your group made the find): GC232V9 I think that was the last cache I mentioned FTF in my log. Before I found the cache, many very experienced cachers had spent many hours looking for this extremely well hidden cache-If I remember correctly there were at least 40 cacher hours spent looking for it before I found it. Your question makes it sound like you think high numbers of FTFs in a day is meaningful. I don't agree. Some think it is all about the numbers. I think it is about the hunt. What would you say was harder to do, find all the FTFs you found that day or FTF on GC232V9? Pure numbers do not take into account difficulity. So any "record" would be pretty silly.

I don't understand the desire of cachers, who don't play the FTF game, to bash others that do. Let them play the way they want to. If your too cool to play the game then stay home no need to post such negative things because you can find a cache that other couldn't and come here and BRAG about it. That's just silly. Just answer the guys question and move on. Sheeez :drama:

I don't understand the desire of cachers, who don't play the FTF game, to bash others that do. Let them play the way they want to. If your too cool to play the game then stay home no need to post such negative things because you can find a cache that other couldn't and come here and BRAG about it. That's just silly. Just answer the guys question and move on. Sheeez :drama:

That's basically all I've seen out of myotis, they come on here and bash what they don't like, and brag about themselves. Not very sportsmanlike.

That's basically all I've seen out of myotis, they come on here and bash what they don't like, and brag about themselves. Not very sportsmanlike.

Yeah I kinda get that after the whole "MOGA" thing. On a side note I think we have crossed paths at Geowoodstock last year. I believe it was the ride on the wagon back to the cars. I don't know why I just thought of that. Nice to see you back in the forums again. I like reading your posts.

I've got nothng against those who like to get FTF-I wait to give them a chance to get FTF. What I don't like is talk about "records" for the most FTFs in a day. Its just like those who did ET Trail and declared themselves world record holders because they can relay caches from one spot to the other faster than others. They act like it makes them a great cacher. But it does not. There are things other than numbers.

Yeah I kinda get that after the whole "MOGA" thing. On a side note I think we have crossed paths at Geowoodstock last year. I believe it was the ride on the wagon back to the cars. I don't know why I just thought of that. Nice to see you back in the forums again. I like reading your posts.

LOL at using "sportsmanlike" and MOGA together!!!!!!!!!! Claiming "finds" you did not find "MOGA" style is sportsmanlike????? If you want to see MOGA sportsmanship take a look at this cache: GC2PBF8 It is about 1/3 mile from the nearest parking through an invasive jungle. To get the cache you had to wade out into the lake to get it. Take a look at the pictures and video from the cachers who really found it. Then take a look at all the MOGA staff claiming the bogus "finds" with logs like "Attending MOGA TFTC" as payment for volunteering. Then look at all the people who found punches in the nice open woods miles away claiming the cache as a "find" as a reward for finding the punch. I am sure the real cachers who actually found the cache really appreciate this "sportsmanlike" conduct!

For some more FTF sportsmanship, check this cache out: GC1YWKN About 10 cachers were at a bar and they signed a logbook and then hid the cache. A local cacher who cares about FTF was there within minutes of it being published only to find 10 people already signed it. If that was not bad enough, they all lied in their logs and claimed while they live many miles away they all just happened to be there when the cache was published. When the real FTF complained, the cache owner deleted his find. While some involved admitted to me what they did when I was trying to get them to be honest and change their log since the FTF was so upset about it, none of them showed the sportsmanship of editing their log to be honest.

I've got nothng against those who like to get FTF-I wait to give them a chance to get FTF. What I don't like is talk about "records" for the most FTFs in a day. Its just like those who did ET Trail and declared themselves world record holders because they can relay caches from one spot to the other faster than others. They act like it makes them a great cacher. But it does not. There are things other than numbers.

We all know there aren't any offical "records" in Geocaching. You can have personal records and what's wrong with that. The OP was just trying to find out what was the most FTFs in a day. That's all. A real simply question and you turn it into some ordeal how you don't write FTF in your log and how you LET others have a chance. Seems to me you have issues with the OP. This whole game revolves around numbers if you haven't noticed that yet. The main reason we hunt FTFs is to find the cache the way the CO intended the cache to be and to show everyone how bada** the4dirtydogs are.J/k on the second part. So go ahead and keep bashing but you know it's getting old. And if someone wants to claim some silly record why not let them? There is absolutely no harm done to you, but then again you wouldn't have anything to post about. :lol:

Our record still stands at 135 FTFs in a day and we are sitting at 599 FTFs for our caching career. :P

LOL at using "sportsmanlike" and MOGA together!!!!!!!!!! Claiming "finds" you did not find "MOGA" style is sportsmanlike????? If you want to see MOGA sportsmanship take a look at this cache: GC2PBF8 It is about 1/3 mile from the nearest parking through an invasive jungle. To get the cache you had to wade out into the lake to get it. Take a look at the pictures and video from the cachers who really found it. Then take a look at all the MOGA staff claiming the bogus "finds" with logs like "Attending MOGA TFTC" as payment for volunteering. Then look at all the people who found punches in the nice open woods miles away claiming the cache as a "find" as a reward for finding the punch. I am sure the real cachers who actually found the cache really appreciate this "sportsmanlike" conduct!

For some more FTF sportsmanship, check this cache out: GC1YWKN About 10 cachers were at a bar and they signed a logbook and then hid the cache. A local cacher who cares about FTF was there within minutes of it being published only to find 10 people already signed it. If that was not bad enough, they all lied in their logs and claimed while they live many miles away they all just happened to be there when the cache was published. When the real FTF complained, the cache owner deleted his find. While some involved admitted to me what they did when I was trying to get them to be honest and change their log since the FTF was so upset about it, none of them showed the sportsmanship of editing their log to be honest.

So what's your point. I think a lot of people thought the whole MOGA thing was LAME(me included). You coming here and BASHING them was LAME too. If thats the way they want to play then so be IT.

So what's your point. I think a lot of people thought the whole MOGA thing was LAME(me included). You coming here and BASHING them was LAME too. If thats the way they want to play then so be IT.

My point was your comparing MOGA to sportsman like was hilarious and quite a lame comparision.

My point was your comparing MOGA to sportsman like was hilarious and quite a lame comparision.

First off I never said anything about sportsmanship. Nymphnsatyr said you were acting un-sportsmanlike. I said you liked bashing people just like the MOGA thread. I don't know how you got all that confused in two short posts but whatever. So your point was pointless AGAIN. :laughing:

I don't know about any recorded records, but I suspect that ScubaSonic probably has the most in a day; or whoever the first person to do the ET trail was...

My personal FTFs in one day record is I think 9 or 10; but I don't really keep careful track of them.

Well actually if you look at my profile in "GSAK" under "Some Numbers" towards the bottom you will see "most FTFs in a day" for me is 38

Scubasonic

We all know there aren't any offical "records" in Geocaching. You can have personal records and what's wrong with that. The OP was just trying to find out what was the most FTFs in a day. That's all. A real simply question and you turn it into some ordeal how you don't write FTF in your log and how you LET others have a chance. Seems to me you have issues with the OP. This whole game revolves around numbers if you haven't noticed that yet. The main reason we hunt FTFs is to find the cache the way the CO intended the cache to be and to show everyone how bada** the4dirtydogs are.J/k on the second part. So go ahead and keep bashing but you know it's getting old. And if someone wants to claim some silly record why not let them? There is absolutely no harm done to you, but then again you wouldn't have anything to post about. :lol:

Our record still stands at 135 FTFs in a day and we are sitting at 599 FTFs for our caching career. :P

There has always been numbers competition. However, back in the day numbers were a reasonable way to compete. Back in the day, cachers would not claim 100 finds for volunteering at an event. There were no power trails where you could rack up huge numbers by moving caches from one location to the next. While there were temporary event caches you had to actually find the cache and sign the log. Probably the lamest thing was the locationless caches-particularly the Yello Jeep one (which I never stooped to claiming a find on). But that is nothing compared to what it is like today. There are so many caches dedicated to making it simple to claim a find, you could rack up 10K finds in a month. Before geocaching was overrun by the numbers caches, I think it was fair and sportsman like to be competing over numbers. But I do not anymore. Back in the day, you had to have skill to claim a record. Nowadays, to claim a record you have to find lamer and lamer ways to claim the record. So my objection is to a contention that there is a legitimate record for the most FTFs in a day or most "finds" in a day or that numbers bear on the ability of the cacher. If someone wants to have fun rushing to be FTF, more power to them. I've got no problem with that.

920 FTF's - 46 in one day. (And that's in Iowa!) Too say there's a Metro area in the state would be an overstatement.

The first to find race is awesome. There are about 20 to 30 FTF hounds in the capital city of Des Moines. Every time a cache publishes, it is a race to sign your name first. (Pretty lame when you say it like this.) Even with all this competition, there is surprisingly a lot of sportsmanship among those hounds. Sometimes too much. The Iowa caching commmunity is pretty tight. Take a look at the new caches in Iowa and you have to get to the third page to actually get to a non-event cache. Our neighboring states have about half a page of events. We all enjoy the hobby and the other people that play. The ones that don't either quit the game or go into another form of finding stuff.

A subgame of the FTF game (when people are NOT feeling very sportsmanlike) is BLOODLUSTING. Named after the infamous cacher who has since retired from the FTF game. In the subgame, you find the container, sign the log, and put it back without anyone seeing you do it. That, my friends, is very hard to do. But it certainly is a great burn. I think some of you forum flamers will love this tatic. I been on both ends of this tatic and it's funny and it sucks. But, it's just a game.

Come to Iowa to cache. MOGA's here next year.

MOGA Champ 2008, 2011

HNS Champ, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010

First off I never said anything about sportsmanship. Nymphnsatyr said you were acting un-sportsmanlike. I said you liked bashing people just like the MOGA thread. I don't know how you got all that confused in two short posts but whatever. So your point was pointless AGAIN. :laughing:

Correct. Dirty Dogs never compared MOGA to anything having to do with sportsmanship.

I mentioned being unsportsmanlike, why? Because it seems like all you do is come on the forum to talk about how much BETTER everything was back in the day, and how LAME everyone else is, and how much better you and your caches, and the way you cache is. Well, the reality is, no one is better than anyone else, no matter how long they've been caching, or how far they can hike, or how they cache. As long as someone is following the guidelines, what business is it of yours? If someone cheats, who are they really cheating but themselves?

It's okay to debate, but to come on here and have every post be condescending and insulting is just not cool, and doesn't help anyone.

Anyhoo, this is my last post on THIS topic, I'm going to let the thread go back to folks talking about their FTF records. :)

Edited by nymphnsatyr

There has always been numbers competition. However, back in the day numbers were a reasonable way to compete. Back in the day, cachers would not claim 100 finds for volunteering at an event. There were no power trails where you could rack up huge numbers by moving caches from one location to the next. While there were temporary event caches you had to actually find the cache and sign the log. Probably the lamest thing was the locationless caches-particularly the Yello Jeep one (which I never stooped to claiming a find on). But that is nothing compared to what it is like today. There are so many caches dedicated to making it simple to claim a find, you could rack up 10K finds in a month. Before geocaching was overrun by the numbers caches, I think it was fair and sportsman like to be competing over numbers. But I do not anymore. Back in the day, you had to have skill to claim a record. Nowadays, to claim a record you have to find lamer and lamer ways to claim the record. So my objection is to a contention that there is a legitimate record for the most FTFs in a day or most "finds" in a day or that numbers bear on the ability of the cacher. If someone wants to have fun rushing to be FTF, more power to them. I've got no problem with that.

I just don't get where your coming from man. It was a simple question from the OP. You make no sense at all. We are not talking about back in the day. It's 2011 and we are talking about the most FTFs in a day. :blink:

I just don't get where your coming from man. It was a simple question from the OP. You make no sense at all. We are not talking about back in the day. It's 2011 and we are talking about the most FTFs in a day. :blink:

Of course you don't understand something as simple as there is no legitimate record for FTFs in 2011.

I bet you also think steriod users like Bonds belong in the hall of fame. Why should we live in the past when players did not use steriods?

Correct. Dirty Dogs never compared MOGA to anything having to do with sportsmanship.

I mentioned being unsportsmanlike, why? Because it seems like all you do is come on the forum to talk about how much BETTER everything was back in the day, and how LAME everyone else is, and how much better you and your caches, and the way you cache is. Well, the reality is, no one is better than anyone else, no matter how long they've been caching, or how far they can hike, or how they cache. As long as someone is following the guidelines, what business is it of yours? If someone cheats, who are they really cheating but themselves?

It's okay to debate, but to come on here and have every post be condescending and insulting is just not cool, and doesn't help anyone.

Anyhoo, this is my last post on THIS topic, I'm going to let the thread go back to folks talking about their FTF records. :)

Coming on the forum to argue numbers are the only thing that matters seems rather unsportsmanlike to me. I bet you are one of those who argue using steriods are not unsportsmanlike. Claiming a record for most FTFs seems unsportsmanlike to me. That's like claiming the homerun record for hitting singles.

Of course you don't understand something as simple as there is no legitimate record for FTFs in 2011.

I bet you also think steriod users like Bonds belong in the hall of fame. Why should we live in the past when players did not use steriods?

Dude are you drunk.

A subgame of the FTF game (when people are NOT feeling very sportsmanlike) is BLOODLUSTING. Named after the infamous cacher who has since retired from the FTF game. In the subgame, you find the container, sign the log, and put it back without anyone seeing you do it

Heheheh, now THAT sounds evil. Wait! How is the different from a normal find?

Edited by briansnat
A subgame of the FTF game (when people are NOT feeling very sportsmanlike) is BLOODLUSTING. Named after the infamous cacher who has since retired from the FTF game. In the subgame, you find the container, sign the log, and put it back without anyone seeing you do it

Heheheh, now THAT sounds evil. Wait! How is the different from a normal find?

Niiiiceee.... I like this "BLOODLUSTING."

Coming on the forum to argue numbers are the only thing that matters seems rather unsportsmanlike to me. I bet you are one of those who argue using steriods are not unsportsmanlike. Claiming a record for most FTFs seems unsportsmanlike to me. That's like claiming the homerun record for hitting singles.

Okay, I know I said no more... but I think you are misunderstanding here, so I feel the need to clarify. No one is arguing about numbers on this thread, people are just talking about their own personal records for THEMSELVES for FTFs in one day. Yes, the OP asked if there was an official record for FTFs, and that was established pretty quickly that no, there isn't.

Fine, but what's the problem with other folks talking about their own personal records? No one here is claiming any records for the most FTFs.

This also has not one thing to do with steroids.

I think my friend, you need a donut. No there are not steroids in the donut. :omnomnom:

Guys, myotis is trolling, plain and simple. He does this all the time on our local freelist and he does it here, too. I, for one, will not bite anymore.

I will call him out on a point of fact and then quietly leave this thread. He's mentioned numerous times how numbers are meaningless these days, but at least a couple times in local discussions he's made it a point to show his caching bravado, as it were, because he and another cacher found 140+ caches in a day.

For someone who hates "lame" caches and disagrees with the whole numbers thing, well...you get my point. ;)

Guys, myotis is trolling, plain and simple. He does this all the time on our local freelist and he does it here, too. I, for one, will not bite anymore.

I will call him out on a point of fact and then quietly leave this thread. He's mentioned numerous times how numbers are meaningless these days, but at least a couple times in local discussions he's made it a point to show his caching bravado, as it were, because he and another cacher found 140+ caches in a day.

For someone who hates "lame" caches and disagrees with the whole numbers thing, well...you get my point. ;)

You're right. I apologize for succumbing to feeding the troll.

OK. I thought he was hitting the bottle already. I feel sorry for all of you that deal with this guy. What a piece of work. :blink: 140+ caches.........Meh I can do that in a couple hours. Thanks again Arthur

Well actually if you look at my profile in "GSAK" under "Some Numbers" towards the bottom you will see "most FTFs in a day" for me is 38

Scubasonic

Sorry for getting that wrong. I saw it in your stats where you state that your best is 9. I guess it was a old set of stats that I was looking at. Cache on.

Okay, I know I said no more... but I think you are misunderstanding here, so I feel the need to clarify. No one is arguing about numbers on this thread, people are just talking about their own personal records for THEMSELVES for FTFs in one day. Yes, the OP asked if there was an official record for FTFs, and that was established pretty quickly that no, there isn't.

Fine, but what's the problem with other folks talking about their own personal records? No one here is claiming any records for the most FTFs.

This also has not one thing to do with steroids.

I think my friend, you need a donut. No there are not steroids in the donut. :omnomnom:

No, you are the one misunderstanding. I was reesponding to the OP's question, "What is the record for FTF's in one day?" That is a loaded quesiton based on the assumption that numbers are everything. Since a FTF on a single cache can be hundreds of times harder than finding a FTF handed to you on a silver platter, how can there be a legitimate "record" for FTFs? If the OP had asked what is the most FTFs you have found in a day or even what is the "most" FTFs someone has found in a day, you would have a point. "Record" expresses a judgment that I think is plain wrong. That judgement is what I am disagreeing with.

Guilty. Back before you could claim 100 finds for volunteering or claim 1,000 finds for moving caches from one spot to the other I did compete. But when things got so lame, I stopped as I was disgusted with how lame things were getting. It was fun when you were competing finding interesting and challenging caches. It was not fun competing by seeing who could lift the most lampposts. The 1st time I found more than 100 in a day was in 2004 - it was an almost impossible task back then. I felt embarrassed because I found them in Nashville which is like everywhere is now-full of lame simple caches. I never felt it was legitimate since finding them was much easier than other places. So I never liked telling people I had found over 100 in a day. If they asked me, I always felt obligated to also tell them that I found them in Nashville and how easy it was to find a cache there.

920 FTF's - 46 in one day. (And that's in Iowa!) Too say there's a Metro area in the state would be an overstatement.

The first to find race is awesome. There are about 20 to 30 FTF hounds in the capital city of Des Moines. Every time a cache publishes, it is a race to sign your name first. (Pretty lame when you say it like this.) Even with all this competition, there is surprisingly a lot of sportsmanship among those hounds. Sometimes too much. The Iowa caching commmunity is pretty tight. Take a look at the new caches in Iowa and you have to get to the third page to actually get to a non-event cache. Our neighboring states have about half a page of events. We all enjoy the hobby and the other people that play. The ones that don't either quit the game or go into another form of finding stuff.

A subgame of the FTF game (when people are NOT feeling very sportsmanlike) is BLOODLUSTING. Named after the infamous cacher who has since retired from the FTF game. In the subgame, you find the container, sign the log, and put it back without anyone seeing you do it. That, my friends, is very hard to do. But it certainly is a great burn. I think some of you forum flamers will love this tatic. I been on both ends of this tatic and it's funny and it sucks. But, it's just a game.

Come to Iowa to cache. MOGA's here next year.

MOGA Champ 2008, 2011

HNS Champ, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010

Yeah, god help you if you are from out of state and try to get an FTF in that area of Iowa. Even if you get one, you'll get viciously attacked and cursed at. I stopped bothering to try to get FTF after that, pretty much anywhere. I generally try to avoid the area altogether, I groaned when I heard MOGA would be there next year. Somehow doubt I'll go.

Oh, and my personal record for FTF in one day is 2... but they were both 300 miles from home. :)

Edited by Sioneva