Found a cache What do?

My father is a logger and while they were clearing woods for a road they found a cache. They were going to throw it away but decided to bring it to me to see whats up with it. The sticker on the cache had website which brought me here. What should we do with it? It can't be put back the area is about to become a road.

Edited by Mad0Hatter

If there is a tracking number or owner's name in the log book or anywhere on the cache, look up the cache and post a note to the cache owner letting them know the situation and offering to return the cache & contents. This will also let other cachers know that the cache has been moved so that they won't waste time looking for it.

There was no tracking number or user name but I looked up the track log or one of the people in the logbook. I found the right date and compared the online log with the logbook.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d3723242-6144-4167-8fcd-599c205d0b53

I sent an email to the owner and logged it on the page.

That's the way to do it. Email the Cache Owner. You might as well log the cache as a find also. Welcome to the game.

There was no tracking number or user name but I looked up the track log or one of the people in the logbook. I found the right date and compared the online log with the logbook.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d3723242-6144-4167-8fcd-599c205d0b53

I sent an email to the owner and logged it on the page.

That's the way to do it. Email the Cache Owner. You might as well log the cache as a find also. Welcome to the game.

...and thanks for taking the time to come here and find the owner. B)

I'm definitely interested in giving this a try but as this cache was brought to me more than an hour away I couldn't count it.

Ah, a budding Puritan!

I don't know what that is but I just went out and tried this and I think I'd of been better off with a map and a compass instead of a gps.

I'm definitely interested in giving this a try but as this cache was brought to me more than an hour away I couldn't count it.

Ah, a budding Puritan!

I don't know what that is but I just went out and tried this and I think I'd of been better off with a map and a compass instead of a gps.

You have discovered a very important fact about geocaching: gps accuracy is measured in yards, not inches, and fluctuates.

Use the gps to get close to the hiding spot. When the GPS says you are within 10 feet, put it away and start looking for hiding places.