Is this an ALR?

I do not see any ALR here. It is listed as a mystery cache. The coordinates take you to the entrance of the museum, and from there you are expected to track down virtual answers -- this cache was placed long before virtuals were restricted so it is grandfathered in place.

I was there on a Sunday when the museum was closed, so it is on my list of things to do when I am in Lodi at the right time.

Edited by mulvaney

Smells like an ALR to me.

Once you have found the location you should log in FIRST. THEN the search really begins. It may take you awhile to get the lay of the land and plan your strategy while listening to the sounds of the location. Bide your time. A team could use one player as a foil. You may have a chance to explore alone, but maybe not.

"Here's the task !"

Find the music that puts your little one to sleep....

...with a Southern song.

Beneath that is a Southern gentleman.

Email me to tell me the name of the song

and name the instrument

the gentleman is playing.

your answers to.... <name>

When I receive your correct email answer I will email you back letting you know you can log the find.

In addition to signing the log, you must also email the CO with the name of the song referenced.

It's more than "get coords, find cache, sign physical logbook", not a challenge, not an EarthCache, and not listed as a Virtual. Since there's a reference to "logging in", it sounds like there's a physical log to be signed (which would mean it's not a virtual, IMHO based on the information given).

Once you have found the location you should log in FIRST. THEN the search really begins. It may take you awhile to get the lay of the land and plan your strategy while listening to the sounds of the location. Bide your time. A team could use one player as a foil. You may have a chance to explore alone, but maybe not.

"Here's the task !"

...with a Southern song.

and name the instrument

When I receive your correct email answer I will email you back letting you know you can log the find.

In addition to signing the log, you must also email the CO with the name of the song referenced.

It's more than "get coords, find cache, sign physical logbook", not a challenge, not an EarthCache, and not listed as a Virtual. Since there's a reference to "logging in", it sounds like there's a physical log to be signed (which would mean it's not a virtual, IMHO based on the information given).

Perhaps. But I don't see a reason to archive it. I suspect that if you just logged the find it would be ok. Being as this cache was listed before any of the current guidelines and it is so old, I'd just as soon see it left alone.

Perhaps. But I don't see a reason to archive it. I suspect that if you just logged the find it would be ok. Being as this cache was listed before any of the current guidelines and it is so old, I'd just as soon see it left alone.

I agree with erring on the side of not archiving it. Clarification on the "log in" portion from the CO, and overall rules from a lackey and/or reviewer would be useful. If there is indeed a physical logbook at the location, that should be all that's required and the cache remains, IMHO.

I have always interpreted this as one of the CO's virtuals, and assumed the "log in" was the registry at the museum. The owner appears to be monitoring the cache -- recent entries indicate that they received verification. Given its age, I don't see any reason to be concerned with this one.

Edited by mulvaney

I have always interpreted this as one of the CO's virtuals, and assumed the "log in" was the registry at the museum.

Exactly how I read it. Sign the visitors log at the entrance, and have an adventure. It's a virtual cache, but may predate that type, or perhaps he just wanted to be less obvious about your target. And emailing for confirmation of a virtual find is perfectly acceptable.

No ALR's to see here folks, move along.

"Here's the task !"

...with a Southern song.

and name the instrument

not an ALR at all just a typical request for logging a virtual, earthcache or a challenge cache to verify that you actually went there

if it was asking to post a picture while doing a handstand it would definitely be an ALR

Edited by t4e

I do not see any ALR here. It is listed as a mystery cache. The coordinates take you to the entrance of the museum, and from there you are expected to track down virtual answers -- this cache was placed long before virtuals were restricted so it is grandfathered in place.

I was there on a Sunday when the museum was closed, so it is on my list of things to do when I am in Lodi at the right time.

The phrase "Once you have found the location you should log in FIRST"

may relate to signing a guestbook at the museum, not a geocache logbook.

The "logging in" language aside -- that may just refer to signing their guest book -- this sounds like a virtual cache, as you can only log once you've sent the required information to the cache oner. That, plus no one mentions a physical container in their logs. Sounds like it should be a virtual, but because it involves a puzzle, they opted to make it an "unknown" type instead.

edit: One finder does mention a container, but it sounds like they're talking about the whole house:

I did not know about this cache container. Scootergal and I unwittingly arrived, clueless, at an opportune time to enter the portal. We enjoyed exploring the container and the unexpected required group activity with friendly (and benign) Canadian muggles. People skills and stealth are definitely required. We enjoyed checking out the many treasures (swag?) in this container. Unfortunately we didn't have anything to exchange, and nothing was tagged as a travel bug. So, TNLN SL and now have permission from the owner to log this find. TFTC

Edited by hzoi

Though it looks like a virtual it is not listed as one and since puzzles are not grandfathered wouldn't the requirement of getting permission to sign it be changed?

AFAIK virtual puzzles (yes, they do exist) are grandfathered.

There are many many virtual caches that predate the virtual icon. Some are listed as multis, this is the first puzzle one I've seen but I'll bet there's lots more. All virtuals have a requirement of emailing the CO

The virtual cache was only around for a couple years and owners who did not switch icons were grandfathered in. I don't think Groundspeak would change the icon of this cache to virtual. I also don't think this cache should be archived. If you have a problem with it then put it on your ignore list. I would be happy to have such a cool looking historic cache near me.

Edited by IkeHurley13

There are many many virtual caches that predate the virtual icon. Some are listed as multis, this is the first puzzle one I've seen but I'll bet there's lots more. All virtuals have a requirement of emailing the CO

The virtual cache was only around for a couple years and owners who did not switch icons were grandfathered in. I don't think Groundspeak would change the icon of this cache to virtual. I also don't think this cache should be archived. If you have a problem with it then put it on your ignore list. I would be happy to have such a cool looking historic cache near me.

Never said archive..just shouldn't the requirement for permission be removed. You are still signing a logbook but to get permission to log it online seems like ALR beyond logging the logsheet.

Edited by MenInTrees

You're not signing a log book for the cache. The cache is a virtual (and a tricky one from what the logs state) there is no physical container. The 'logbook' you're thinking of is just the logbook for the museum not the cache. If you have questions I'm sure the CO would be happy to clarify and would do a much better job than us. I'm just guessing from across the country.

Never said archive..just shouldn't the requirement for permission be removed. You are still signing a logbook but to get permission to log it online seems like ALR beyond logging the logsheet.

Thought I addressed this, guess you skipped over my posts. I'll say it again: this looks like it's a virtual cache. If you look at the past logs, it doesn't look like there is a logsheet, therefore, the email is not an additional logging requirement, but the only logging requirement.

Though it looks like a virtual it is not listed as one and since puzzles are not grandfathered wouldn't the requirement of getting permission to sign it be changed?

And if you change the cache page you have destroyed a piece of geocaching history. Would you rewrite the plaque on the Statue of Liberty? Just log your find and move on.

So curious if this falls in or out of the ALR. If this is ALR what do I do? GC2714

After 13 responses, all saying essentially that you should leave it alone, you tried to make a case for having something "done". After a couple more responses saying leave it alone, you AGAIN try to make a case for having it changed. So I say, yeah, go ahead and knock yourself out. petition Groundspeak. Take it to the feedback forum. It's clear you don't like the answer you're getting here.