Phantom coin logger

Sileny Jizda

Just got a hit on a coin in my collection from a very odd part of the world.

Profile for User: Os M&M

Discovered It 04/07/2011 Os M&M discovered it Visit Log

see it online

We don't have sure if this is alowed.

But thanks any way =)

Greeting from Portugal =)

Since it's been sitting in my living room since we bought it I found this a tad odd. I checked their other recent coin discoveries and see that they are simply going down the list of trackable numbers in sequence. If you get any odd logs on yours you may want to double check. It seems this person is icon hunting.

Just got a hit on a coin in my collection from a very odd part of the world.

Profile for User: Os M&M

Discovered It 04/07/2011 Os M&M discovered it Visit Log

see it online

We don't have sure if this is alowed.

But thanks any way =)

Greeting from Portugal =)

Since it's been sitting in my living room since we bought it I found this a tad odd. I checked their other recent coin discoveries and see that they are simply going down the list of trackable numbers in sequence. If you get any odd logs on yours you may want to double check. It seems this person is icon hunting.

Weird. Maybe they just keyed in the tracking code wrong and happened to come up with yours...? Did you delete the log?

I had a similar "discovery" on one of my coins a couple of weeks ago, coming I think from an armchair logger in Germany. I e-mailed the so called finder and told him that unless he had been in my den recently, I very much doubt that he had seen the coin and politely deleted his log.

Yep, photos are the downfall....

From the OP:

I checked their other recent coin discoveries and see that they are simply going down the list of trackable numbers in sequence.

No photos. No accidental keying of the wrong codes. A systematic attempt at finding travel bugs to log by just starting with one known number and keying in numbers sequentially until they get tired of it.

I had something similar happen. According to the logs my coin was in a cache on the west coast and one day I got a dozen or so 'discovers' from cachers in one east coast state.

Turned out that someone placed my coin's tracking number on a list of tracking numbers that was passed around at an event and people were using that to log the coins. I deleted all of the fraudulent logs and believe it or not received several angry responses from the phony loggers.

Yep, photos are the downfall....

From the OP:

I checked their other recent coin discoveries and see that they are simply going down the list of trackable numbers in sequence.

No photos. No accidental keying of the wrong codes. A systematic attempt at finding travel bugs to log by just starting with one known number and keying in numbers sequentially until they get tired of it.

Red face. Missed that. So much for speed reading.

Interest concept though, it adds a new twist to armchairing. I suppose though, that they get a lot of exercising of their fingers. :huh:

I did remove the log. I checked the sequence of numbers increasing by one each time and that is how I found out the guy was logging the coins by guessing. All the logs had the same note for the discovery.

Too funny. I only log a discovered if I have actually held the coin in my hand and examined it. I don't log collections at events, and certainly not simply lists of numbers. When this was first posted, I had twice as many trackables finds as this guy. He catching up quickly. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should report him to contact@geocaching.com Even though you deleted the log, they can still see it. It seems that this would be misuse of the website. Obviously, no one can actually discover almost 200 trackables, with consecutive #'s in two days.

[edit for content]

Perhaps this can be moved to the TB and Geocoin forum. It may be of interest to that forums monitor.

Edited by Don_J

There is a way to log discoveries on as many trackables as you have numbers for all at once. It's very helpful to log the large collections you see at events and it only takes about 4 seconds per log. If anyone is interested send me an email. I won't post it here.

But guessing numbers just to boost your stats or get icons? That's kind of dumb. Where's the fun in that?

You can write back to them, tell them nicely that since virtual logging can get a Trackable locked, because it is considered abuse of the geocaching.com system, you will be deleting the virtual log. Give them a link to this thread, and tell them to read the note in bold print at the bottom of the post.

The tracking number is to show where the trackable goes and who it actually meets, through discoveries. NOT who saw the number. The number doesn't count, seeing the trackable in person, and logging it through geocaches it visits, is the real history of the trackable. Finding the number in a photo, or from a log or post, or Facebook does not count. The trackable wasn't there.