When do you leave a sig item?

For a while there, I was dropping my signature Kokopelli! in every cache one would fit in.

With the explosion of (relatively) pointless urban micros, I am now a bit more selective.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you trade at a cache, you are (theoretically) trading with the owner, so leaving a sig item at a cache you really appreciated is always appropriate.

My main hobby other than geocaching is landscape photography, so I leave a 4x6 photo print in every cache with a container big enough to hold one (most are). I put them in the sandwich bags logbooks are usually in.

On the backs of the photos, I write the title of the piece, where and when it was taken, my signature, and website url where more photos can be seen. I prepared over 100 to be left, and carry about 20 at a time in my backpack. I figure it's a neat thing to leave in caches, alongside my usual trading swag.

great question as i have been looking to create one for me....my hobby involves large tarantulas and other inverts and think a metal version would be insane but a little pricey to leave in every cacheohmy.gif....i wouldnt mind a picture archive, a face to the treasure, now that would be kool!!!

I only leave my signature items on caches that were either an accomplishment to reach, which would make my sig item an accomplishment to reach by the next finder, or at caches that took some time and effort to put together, to show appreciation for that time and effort.

Swag, on the other hand, I'll trade pretty much anywhere it looks like kids might want to find some fun stuff to play with.

I kind of leave my wooden nickles randomly. I will leave one more often when traveling, less often localy. And only caches that I feel are 'good'. The standard lock-n-lock under pine needles will usualy not get a signature item.

Then there is the case when I have run out. Then no cache gets one.

We make ours and they are fairly time consuming so we only pop them into particularly good caches - or one or two from a good series.

At the moment though we've run out and I haven't gotten around to making any more yet, so even the great caches aren't getting one - sorry!

*note to self - make some more sig items!*