Evanston Roundhouse Geocoin - Taking orders!

farrtom

Let me first say that I went back over old topics to see if my question had already been discussed (I am sure it has!) and did not find anything.

I help with a non-profit group that helps fundraise and promote a historic building site and being fairly new to geocaching and geocoins I thought it would be fun to make a custom coin to promote and maybe make some money for the group / site.

I have worked up a design for the coin and will soon be sending it out to find out about costs, but my main questions is...

What is a good way to sell the coin to make sure they get sold? I am sure some will be able to be sold locally but since it is a small community and I am not sure about how many local cachers are around, I would like to get it "out there" to sell enough to make this worth while. I have a feeling this first time (I have already thought of a way to make it into a series) I will be covering the up front costs myself, and if they are too big my wife will kill me. I am also getting all the info (costs, timing ect..) together first before I bring it up to the group. I have already talked to the city (the owners of the site) about placing a cache on the site to help teach some of the history of the buildings.

FYI, the site is a Historic Union Pacific Railroad site along the original transcontinental railroad

Edited by Eartha

In addition to a cache, you may also want to consider a Wherigo cartridge that's a walking tour of the area. I did one of those last year and it was very enjoyable. As for the coins: yes, they're probably going to be pretty expensive. Even at a minimum order of 100 pieces, you will pay $300 for tracking codes and custom icon (or just $150 for the tracking codes) right off the bat. Add to that the cost of the dies (which vary depending on whether either/or side is 3D or 2D, as well as the size of the coin), the per-coin cost, and the cost of plating and enameling, it can get pretty costly pretty quickly.

As to how well it'll do: that depends. If it's a nice design, and as long as you don't do anything crazy (such as price them at $35 each*), you'll probably do pretty well here. You may or may not do so well with non-geocachers who might not understand what geocoins are all about (though I think that having a cache set up is a good idea; just make sure you read the cache placement guidelines first if you haven't already).

Before you approve any production, I'd highly recommend that you post your design here. The response you get here isn't always a sure-fire indicator of how well the coin will do in a sale, but you'll probably get some pretty useful advice BEFORE you pay for the dies (once your dies are cut, you have to pay for all new dies if you want to change anything) that might very well help your sales (as well as give everyone here something to look forward to seeing. ; ) ).

Just curious, and i'm sure the OP is as well, on average what is the total cost to get your own geocoin created?

Say Custom icon and tracking codes, one side 2D one side 3D?

The price you will pay to make geocoins varies quite a bit depending on the size of the coin (e.g. 1.5", 1.75", 2"), whether the dies are 2-d or 3-d, the finishes used, whether you buy a custom icon, etc. Hoever, it is good to plan on about $1000 total to make the coins and have them delivered. After that, you will find that selling the coins can be more time consuming than you had anticipated.

I think for the amount of work involved AND the risk of not getting a return on your initial outlay you'd do better off having a few car wash fundraisers than trying to go the geocoin route. That said, though, if you love geocoins this is as good a reason as any to make one of your own.

Here is the preliminary design of the coin for Evanston Roundhouse that I am working on. This would become an annual coin with a new backside each year.

Thought I would get any opinions before moving forward to far.

RHGeocoin13-8-11.jpg

Edited by farrtom

When I first read this thread I thought , Not my thing...

But now that I see your design I'm thinking Nice!

Is it going to be enamels or different metals (2-tone)? 2-D/3-D? Personally I think if the engine was 2-d & 2-tone it would look spectacular. Although the design probably leads itself to be done either way - maybe a 2-tone could a Limited Edition coin?

Anyway, nice design - well done. :)

Edited by keewee

My initial thoughts: if doing a different backside each year, would it be that much trouble to do a new frontside as well?

Regardless, I recommend having the year somewhere on the coin, especially if you plan to do another next year.

I agree, both on the year and having both sides be different. It will cost a bit more to make two new dies instead of one, but you will make that up in greater demand for the new coin.

By the way, that really is a good looking coin! One thing that puzzles me, the side showing the turntable seems to show the red part of the design going off of the front. Is the intention to have part of the design on the edge? Am I interpreting the design correctly?

My initial thoughts: if doing a different backside each year, would it be that much trouble to do a new frontside as well?

Regardless, I recommend having the year somewhere on the coin, especially if you plan to do another next year.

I agree, both on the year and having both sides be different. It will cost a bit more to make two new dies instead of one, but you will make that up in greater demand for the new coin.

By the way, that really is a good looking coin! One thing that puzzles me, the side showing the turntable seems to show the red part of the design going off of the front. Is the intention to have part of the design on the edge? Am I interpreting the design correctly?

Actually the building has a "bump out" on it and the idea was that the coin would also have the bump out (or tab) on it.

The date is on the sheild on the front of the train but is dificult to read on my sketch, I'll most likely move it.

My idea with keeping the front the same was that it would be a series and because it will be used as a fund raiser it would make future coins more profitable, but it is some thing to think about. I am open to any suggestions.

This is my first coin design, and the first item of this nature to be produced by the group for fund raising (they succesfully do HO scale trains / cars each year). I will be presenting information to them next week to see if we are moving forward.

I would do a split with a vendor. Make the coin in two different metals... one for the vendor to sell on their website and one for you. I would also look into doing a shaped design or something a little different... There have already been plenty of train coins... Maybe even do a shaped coin that stands up on the wheels similar to the fire truck designed by River Cacher. Or... ask Chis Mackey to design it! :laughing:

Here is the art work (with my revision on it) for a new coin I am having made.

It will be used as a fund raiser / promotional tool for the Evanston WY Roundhouse & Railyards, currently undergoing restoration.

We are trying to decide on how many to have minted and I am trying to gage interest...

What do you think?

6N-03182A01-1revision4-6-11cropped.jpg

So... the railroad won't actually do any funding?

The railroad turned over the property to the town. It is a small town and a big project so they do what they can with grants and donations. The funds will go to a non-profit group that was established back when there was talk of just tearing down the buildings. The group (Roundhouse Restoration Inc or RRinc)main focus, now that the town has committed to saving the buildings, is promotion and education. They also help provide some of the match money to the grants.

We are thinking of doing a coin annualy, if this first one does good (and by good, we just don't want to be left with any leftover inventory that doesn't seel).

that is a cool coin i love it let me know when you have it done

will it be Trackable i ask because i am not the Trackable wording on it but other then that i love it

Yes it will be trackable, it will be on the side of the coin. We will most likly do some non trackable for the non cachers.

We are ready to place the order for the Evanston Roundhouse coin!

Since this is our first time doing a coin, we are still trying to decide the order quantity. To help us decide on the order size, I would like to take pre-orders. Please send me a PM if you are interested in one (or a set of 3).

They will be for $10 each and shipping will be $2-3 (with combined shipping for a set).

The proceeds for this coin go to a non-profit group who promote and help with the restoration of the historic buildings (please see posts above for more information).

Thanks for all who have made positive and helpful comments.

We are ready to place the order for the Evanston Roundhouse coin!

Since this is our first time doing a coin, we are still trying to decide the order quantity. To help us decide on the order size, I would like to take pre-orders. Please send me a PM if you are interested in one (or a set of 3).

They will be for $10 each and shipping will be $2-3 (with combined shipping for a set).

The proceeds for this coin go to a non-profit group who promote and help with the restoration of the historic buildings (please see posts above for more information).

Thanks for all who have made positive and helpful comments.

Also, there will be a slight change to the blue color on the engine side of the coin. I will post photos soon.

I am placing the order today!

If you are interested in ordering this coin, please send me a message.

Here are photos of the additional samples.

These will be the special edition / artist edition of the coins and will not be for sale, but the darker transparnt blue will be used on all coins (see other sample photos to compare).

6N-03182S02frontsecondsample.jpg

6N-03182S02backsecondsample.jpg

(i have no idea why these are rotated. I have tried to fix them.......)

Edited by farrtom

Will be picking up these coins this week and selling them at the Roundhouse Festival August 5th, 6th & 7th, so unless you are in south west Wyoming next weekend and would like to order a coin please let me know. If you have already contacted me I have you on the list and will be sending out emails this week confirming quantities.

They will be $10 each and $3 dollars shipping.

I am sending out paypal invoices this week.

If you are interested and have not already received an invoice or message from me, please send me a message with your email and mailing address.

Locally the coins have been a success. It has been a good way to introduce some people to geocaching.

I would like some coins and maybe to go. My Grandfather and uncle both worked and retired from this Roundhouse. There used to be an old photo with some of the workers on the wall of the old Outpost. If you asked they would bring you a list of the names of the workers in the photo. My uncle's name is there. Anyway, I'm hoping someone saved this historic photo and list of names and placed it in the Roundhouse... it belongs there. My family has a history all over this area, I would like to go if I can.

Im excited to come up! I have worked the Evanston local there before but have never been to the Roundhouse or museum. Im posting a link to this thread on the UTAG facebook page. Maybe a few others will join me or buy coins to support your restoration efforts.

When are you going?

I would like some coins and maybe to go. My Grandfather and uncle both worked and retired from this Roundhouse. There used to be an old photo with some of the workers on the wall of the old Outpost. If you asked they would bring you a list of the names of the workers in the photo. My uncle's name is there. Anyway, I'm hoping someone saved this historic photo and list of names and placed it in the Roundhouse... it belongs there. My family has a history all over this area, I would like to go if I can.

Is this the old photo? roundhouse photo

The Roundhouse is 100 years old this year and they are planning a big celebration on June 29th. The details are still to come.

Edited by farrtom