Pursuit of "Cachiness" COINTEST

goosefraba1

Well, It's been awhile since my last posted cointest... so this is as reason as any. Recently, while reading Yahoo News, I clicked on a story about the top ten Happiest cities in America. Of course, this list included the beautiful cities of Boulder-Co, Lincoln-NE, and Honolulu-HI. There are jobs in these cities, people are healthy, and there are things to do. The list also included the statistic that I am embarrassed to admit. The city where I work... Huntington,WV/Ashland,KY came in DEAD LAST out of all of the cities in the United States in Happiness. This is probably due to the extreme shortage of jobs in the area, very unhealthy people, and there is nothing to do except for making a basement meth lab. The statistics were gathered via way of survey from the Gallup group.

So, what I would like to do is make this survey known to the general public via local papers... aka letter to the editor (yes people still write those). I would like to list some activities and interests of people from other areas that seem to be related to their happiness (this is where you come in).

-Give me 3 reasons why YOU like the area that you live in.

-I would like these numbered or bulleted... to make it easier to add into a spreadsheet (you can still write paragraphs pertaining to the subject after or before the bullets if you want).

-Only One post per person will be thrown into the hat.

-Winner will be randomly drawn.

-I will try to send out a coin that the winner does not have.

- I will use some of the information obtained in my letter to the editor... but not exact quotes... just numeric statistics from this small non-random population.

- COINTEST is not restricted to US members.

- COINTEST ends April 15th, 2011 at 11:59 pm EST.

*here is the link in case you're interested. http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-news/blog/daily-money/the-10-happiest-and-saddest-cities-in-the-us/2308/

Thanks everyone for your help!

Edited by goosefraba1

Well, It's been awhile since my last posted cointest... so this is as reason as any. Recently, while reading Yahoo News, I clicked on a story about the top ten Happiest cities in America. Of course, this list included the beautiful cities of Boulder-Co, Lincoln-NE, and Honolulu-HI. There are jobs in these cities, people are healthy, and there are things to do. The list also included the statistic that I am embarrassed to admit. The city where I work came in DEAD LAST out of all of the cities in the country in Happiness. This is probably due to the extreme shortage of jobs in the area, very unhealthy people, and there is nothing to do except for making a basement meth lab.

GREEN!

Was that the correct answer, did I win?

Well, It's been awhile since my last posted cointest... so this is as reason as any. Recently, while reading Yahoo News, I clicked on a story about the top ten Happiest cities in America. Of course, this list included the beautiful cities of Boulder-Co, Lincoln-NE, and Honolulu-HI. There are jobs in these cities, people are healthy, and there are things to do. The list also included the statistic that I am embarrassed to admit. The city where I work came in DEAD LAST out of all of the cities in the country in Happiness. This is probably due to the extreme shortage of jobs in the area, very unhealthy people, and there is nothing to do except for making a basement meth lab.

Not sure what the cointest is, but that was your 777th forum post.

Just a cool number.

edited to add... 42 as my answer

Edited by LewisClan77

Just a cool number.

The answer is always 42. So i guess the question is... Where is your towel?

I think the cointest is the first 5 people to post get a coin right?

Give me 3 reasons why YOU like the area that you live in:

#1 - It's not a large city, but is close enough to one if needed

#2 - It is a reasonably laid back town

#3 - It is a relatively vibrant place with plenty to do.

Where do I live? In Ashburton, New Zealand

Oh, and I still think the answer is GREEN!

Edited by keewee

Give me 3 reasons why YOU like the area that you live in:

#1 - It's not a large city, but is close enough to one if needed

#2 - It is a reasonably laid back town

#3 - It is a relatively vibrant place with plenty to do.

Where do I live? In Ashburton, New Zealand

Oh, and I still think the answer is GREEN!

GREEN is a GREAT answer... what types of things do you do in New Zealand? Any certain sports... or Leisure activities? Even outside of the cointest I am genuinely interested in different regions and cultures :D

1) Has good schools

2) Near our Nations Capital

3) Plenty of recreational and park facilities near by.

Number 2 is kind of iffy. It can be both a plus and a minus. Use to be plenty of jobs but with the gov not settling on a budget and threatening a shutdown all sorts of people are worried about there jobs and not allot of hiring is being done by gov agencies.

Gaithersburg MD

I live in Oslo, the capital of Norway. It is probably not my absolute favourite place live, but here's a couple of things that I enjoy:

#1 - Lots of varied nature is easily accessible: The fjord, mountains, forest, lakes... And there are lots of green spots even in the city.

#2 - Though we do have rush hours and public transportation issues, going where you need to go doesn't take forever - most people don't have to waste hours on transportation.

#3 - Traveling abroad is pretty easy, with several international airports, boats, etc. nearby.

Iam from Greece... one of the most beautiful and historic places... no matter if economic crisis is killing us.... beauty is beauty! :D

I live in the beautiful island of Rhodes in the south east part of greece, in the borders with Turkey! rhodes is the 4th lagest island in Greece!

#1) I love living here because it is a unique place full of antiquities, history (what else do you want if in a place you can see ancient things, medieval, and you can visit places of knights (castles even a whole city that is still with life) dragon stories, one of the 7 sages, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world......), and lots of green, nature beauties (7 springs, butterfly valley...), and water! It is not a joke that Rhodes is also called.... the Emerald island! :) I live very close to an ancient site, the Acropolis of rhodes! it has lots of green and carries lots of history! We are quiet here and live peacefully but we are not far away from the city center!!! it is only about 10 minutes walk from there! And we have amazing view!!! ;) I just adore it!!! :D

2) the weather conditions are....amazing!!! no matter if it is winter... trust me... we have lots of sunshine... not a lot of cold.. at least not for all the others... and... snow is extremelly rare!!! I have only seen snow once.. on the top of the tallest mountain here, so... Sometimes it looks like that our winter is almost like your spring... isn't that great?? since we are an isnald there are many amazing beaches to visit with crystal waters! do you know when I am stopping swimming??? On November! so... ;) oh.. and other beautiful islands are close, and Turkey of course so... you can visit them too! ;)

3) the quality of life here is much much better than in other places in greece! things are not like Athens for sure! (they are crazy there!!!) Many are coming and staying here for ever... and not only greeks!! we have many foreigners who desided to stay in Rhodes and generally in dodecanese islands (rhodes is the capital)!!! during summer... you can have lots of fun with sport activities, or going to bars, relaxing, hiking etc... we have thousands of tourists coming every summer... they know... ;)

hmm... I wrote too many right??? sorry... I can talk for hours about what you can see do etc! There are things that are bad but... that's an other story.... ;)

Edited by GATOULIS

Iam from Greece... one of the most beautiful and historic places... no matter if economic crisis is killing us.... beauty is beauty! :D

I live in the beautiful island of Rhodes in the south east part of greece, in the borders with Turkey! rhodes is the 4th lagest island in Greece!

#1) I love living here because it is a unique place full of antiquities, history (what else do you want if in a place you can see ancient things, medieval, and you can visit places of knights (castles even a whole city that is still with life) dragon stories...), and lots of green, nature beauties (y springs), and water! It is not a joke that Rhodes is also called.... the Emerald island! :) I live very close to an ancient site, the Acropolis of rhodes! it has lots of green and carries lots of history! We are quiet here and live peacefully but we are not far away from the city center!!! it is only about 10 minutes walk from there! And we have amazing view!!! ;) I just adore it!!! :D

2) the weather conditions are....amazing!!! no matter if it is winter... trust me... we have lots of sunshine... not a lot of cold.. at least not for all the others... and... snow is extremelly rare!!! I have only seen snow once.. on the top of the tallest mountain here, so... Sometimes it looks like that our winter is almost like your spring... isn't that great?? since we are an isnald there are many amazing beaches to visit with crystal waters! do you know when I am stopping swimming??? On November! so... ;) oh.. and other beautiful islands are close, and Turkey of course so... you can visit them too! ;)

3) the quality of life here is much much better than in other places in greece! things are not like Athens for sure! (they are crazy there!!!) Many are coming and staying here for ever... and not only greeks!! we have many foreigners who desided to stay in Rhodes and generally in dodecanese islands (rhodes is the capital)!!! during summer... you can have lots of fun with sport activities, or going to bars etc... we have thousands of tourists coming every summer... they know... ;)

hmm... I wrote too many right??? sorry... I can talk for hours about what you can see do etc! There are things that are bad but... that's an other story.... ;)

History... I love history and the beach! Unfortunately for this area, our (european ancestral) history only dates back to early 1700's... and that is French claimed history. So, there is a big difference between 300 years of recorded history and the probably 4000+ years of recorded history in Greece. No downplay on Native American history, but if you don't write down events... they will never be remembered (except through story-telling).

I live in a little village near the oldest city of Germany, Trier.

1) I love seeing my daughter grow in the perfect area in our own house with the nearness to nature and a lot of kids in the neighborhood.

2) Although I live in a village with 1400 inhabitants we have everything we need for the daily life (doctors, food store, kindergarten, school, baker, butcher) and things we can't buy or can't do in our village, we can find or do in Trier, a small but really nice city with a lot of historical places of interest.

3) The nearness to Luxembourg offers me a lot of job possibilities.

Just a cool number.

The answer is always 42. So i guess the question is... Where is your towel?

The answer is not always 42. It depends on the question. Now if it's The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything, then of course the answer is 42. As soon as you find out what exactly that Question is you be sure to let us all know!

But to stay on topic:

1) we have daffodils growing wild EVERYWHERE!

2) We have ocean beaches, forests, historical sights, mountains, urban metropolises, all no further than 90 minutes away!

3) it's surrounded for miles by farms and orchards.

Where is it?

Cookstown, New Jersey. The garden part of the Garden State.

... it is vitally important to know where your towel is.

#1) I love living here because it is a unique place full of antiquities, history (what else do you want if in a place you can see ancient things, medieval, and you can visit places of knights (castles even a whole city that is still with life) dragon stories, one of the 7 sages, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world......), and lots of green, nature beauties (7 springs, butterfly valey), and water! It is not a joke that Rhodes is also called.... the Emerald island! :) I live very close to an ancient site, the Acropolis of rhodes! it has lots of green and carries lots of history! We are quiet here and live peacefully but we are not far away from the city center!!! it is only about 10 minutes walk from there! And we have amazing view!!! ;) I just adore it!!! :D

3) the quality of life here is much much better than in other places in greece! things are not like Athens for sure! (they are crazy there!!!) Many are coming and staying here for ever... and not only greeks!! we have many foreigners who desided to stay in Rhodes and generally in dodecanese islands (rhodes is the capital)!!! during summer... you can have lots of fun with sport activities, or going to bars etc... we have thousands of tourists coming every summer... they know... ;)

History... I love history and the beach! Unfortunately for this area, our (european ancestral) history only dates back to early 1700's... and that is French claimed history. So, there is a big difference between 300 years of recorded history and the probably 4000+ years of recorded history in Greece. No downplay on Native American history, but if you don't write down events... they will never be remembered (except through story-telling).

Well... just imagine.... rhodes as a city was created when the 3 older cities of the island (ialysos, lindos and kameiros) agreed to join! they were friend cities all the time... never in war between them... so it was easy! Rhodes was created in.... 408 BC! The other cities are way much older of course! rhodes as island send ships to join forces with the other greeks to fight Troy! We have ruins from Minoan civilization here too... it is... amazing!

We had one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world, one of the 7 sages of the ancient world, ancient history, byzantine, medieval, the story with the dragon (I live close to its caves! ;) and of course close to the ancient stadium, small theatre and ruins of temples of helios, apollon, zeus, athena....), we have many ancinet legents, stories etc... about the weather.... well.. I hope one day to see snow falling!!! :( I have never seen this! and... the snow I saw on the top of the tallest mountain... was just covering some rocks and the land... nothing serius for other northern places... but for us...it was huge!!! :lol:

I am a naturally happy person, so where I live is not really what makes me happy, but I am happy where I live.

Things I like here:

I like the many parks and greenspaces.

People are nice, and each little town/suburb has a festival or celebration.

Cost of living is reasonable, and all needed services are available.

I live in Durango, Colorado.

1.We've got one regional craft brewery, 3 micro breweries, and a soda pop maker here in town. You can't really have a good event in town without beer from the local places, and we have lots of events for various reasons (Google Snowdown.... then get back to me).

2. We've got summer time rafting, winter skiing, and some great areas for caching (year round even if you dare). Just about every sport has been tried here, everything from SingleSpeed to the Iron Horse Bike Race. I'm waiting for someone to try skijoring but I don't know that we get enough snow for it.

3. We're a historic town without being overly fussy about it. There is no such thing as well dressed (we've been nominated for worst dressed town in the nation- we take pride in that (although the lady in a powder blue skiing jacket, red flannel pjs and Uggs might have been taking it a little far). We even still run a coal fire train for visiting Silverton.

I live in Orange County, CA. I could list 100 things I love about where I live but I'll pick the best three.

First off, it's in the center of everything. I can go ride my bike to an Angel game, the beach, or Disneyland. You can take a daytime drive up to the mountains, chill, and be back in the OC like nothing happened. Then the desert is maybe an hour or two away and you can go dirtbike riding. Maybe take a drive along PCH and go surfing.

Second, the weather is amazing. Yesterday was April 5th and it was 90 degrees outside with little clouds. I got to go play 18 holes of golf when some people around the US are in 50 to 60 degree weather.

Third, to pull geocaching into this, the amount of caches, and diversity of them, in the area are great. If you want a quick numbers run, go down Imperial Highway, heck you could even drive up to the Route 66 powertrail and finish half of it in a day! Or if you want a beautiful hike and a good amount of well rounded caches, you could go to Griffith Park and see the original Batcave, go to the Observatory, and take a picture with the HOLLYWOOD sign.

I don't think I would live in any other place in the world. B)

I live in Southeast Idaho, and the three reason I like this area are in no particular order:

1- Close to everything I need/want - the city, mountains, lakes, desert

2- No immediat threat of a major natural diasters or extreme weather issues - no huricans, tsunami, tornados, earthquake, flooding or extrem cold

3- Friends and family live close by (sometimes too close!)

I live just south of Seattle and it's a great place to live because:

1. There are a wide variety of natural areas close by including oceans, lakes, mountains, and rivers with lots of wooded areas and parks to meet anyones outdoor needs.

2. Lots of various businesses and corporate headquarters for employment such as Microsoft, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Costco, and Boeing.

3. The weather is moderate so not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter.

4. It's a bus ride away from the lilypad. :smile:

I live in Durango, Colorado....We even still run a coal fire train for visiting Silverton.

MJS, I'm so glad you mentioned that train! When I was a young teenager, my mom & I took that breathtaking train ride while we were on summer vacation in Colorado. Love the memory of that incredible scenery--it's great to know that the train is still running after all these years.

I live in Durango, Colorado....We even still run a coal fire train for visiting Silverton.

MJS, I'm so glad you mentioned that train! When I was a young teenager, my mom & I took that breathtaking train ride while we were on summer vacation in Colorado. Love the memory of that incredible scenery--it's great to know that the train is still running after all these years.

In the summer they run three trips, so you can tell the locals from the visitors just by who looks up when the train goes by (or who tries to talk over the train whistle as it comes through town).

In the winter they run half way up to Silverton- I keep meaning to go when it snows but this year wasn't a great one for snow (we only got one big snowfall in town).

I live near Salt Lake City, UT.

1. Can fish/boat in the morning then travel 30 miles and ski into May or go to the desert Salt Flats

2. Good Universities - Utah, Utah State, Weber State, BYU (and Jimmer Fedette)

3. Camping and Hiking at 5 National Parks and 33 State Parks

I live in Owingsville Kentucky

1- It's a small town where everyone essentially knows everyone buy nobody bothers you.

2- I have lived here since I was a wee little baby and couldn't ask for a better community to be surrounded by. (it does have it's underbelly so to speak but every place does I guess)

3- It in kentucky...yes I am a bit biast but you have to stay loyal to your state :)I'm within miles of any kind of outdoor activity I could want, hiking at the red river gorge, or cave run lake, and of course the daniel boone national forest.

I live in Frankfort, ME and 3 reasona I like it here are:

1) It's rural here. I do not live within sight of another house, but there is a good sized city (35K) within 21 miles.

2) So many lakes and streams to kayak and canoe on.

3) So quiet at night here that I can hear woodcocks and owls calling, racoons arguing over who gets to get in the composter first and coyotes howling.

Does it have to be where we live now? Or can it be where we lived a few years ago.

The reason I ask is I do not enjoy living where I am and would love to go back to where I was <_<

Whatever you want... heck list both if you want. I am just trying to gather a bit of info on what seems to help a city or town be more happy. I've always thought a strong sense of community, activities/festivals, education, and jobs were influential. I also like seeing specific types of events or activities (so I can throw some hints... or maybe see about organizing a festival or something in the future if I continue to live here).

So here it goes:

Where I am now:

Cambridge Ontario:

-Antiquing! We have the largest antique mall in Canada!

-lots of nice areas nearby to go caching or just get outside

-lots of things to do? Malls, Movie theaters etc :unsure:

Where I want to be:

Wallaceburg, Ontario

-Beautiful area, close to beaches, trails, fishing, boating etc

-Close tight-knit community, everyone is looking out for each other, and in this case, most people in town are friends and family! This also includes how you are able to smile at people in passing even if you don't know them.

-The Atmosphere of a small town. REAL hand packed burgers, WAMBO, the hangout spots, fishing off the dock etc

On a side note:

WAMBO - (the second weekend in august) Wallaceburg Antique Motor and Boat Outing. This is basically a weekend event where all sorts of super beautiful boats dock around downtown wallaceburg, old cars and motorcycles are on display down the main street, there's food, drinks, and everything else. It's basically what Wallaceburg lives for (The population of the town can triple during that one weekend alone)

1) It is a small town, so we get to know our neighbors and others in the community well.

2) I love the seasons. If you live someplace with all 4 seasons, you might not even think about it, but after going to college in a place that pretty much has a wet & dry season, I love being back home and watching all 4 seasons.

3) We have a large number of restaurants, shopping centers, etc. near us, but far enough away that the traffic to them doesn't affect us. I wouldn't like living somewhere that I had to drive two hours to get to the grocery store; I also wouldn't want to live in the grocery store's parking lot. I love the location where I am. Not too close, not too far, and lots of variety.

We live in Southern New Jersey (why they call it the garden state)

• 1 Million acres+ of protected New Jersey Pine Barons.

Rich with history, flower and fauna found nowhere else! Hundreds of caches for hiking, kayaking/canoe and 4-wheeling.

• New Jersey seashore nearby.

From the boardwalk and casino's of Atlantic city to isolated beaches where you can fish, picnic, and relax.

• Twenty minutes from Philadelphia and an hour from New York City.

When the city life beckons for entertainment, cultural events and culinary delights!

JoenSue

We live in Southern New Jersey (why they call it the garden state)

• 1 Million acres+ of protected New Jersey Pine Barons.

Rich with history, flower and fauna found nowhere else! Hundreds of caches for hiking, kayaking/canoe and 4-wheeling.

• New Jersey seashore nearby.

From the boardwalk and casino's of Atlantic city to isolated beaches where you can fish, picnic, and relax.

• Twenty minutes from Philadelphia and an hour from New York City.

When the city life beckons for entertainment, cultural events and culinary delights!

JoenSue

I bet you guys are ultra-swamped with that New Jersey Shore crap that MTV keeps shoving down everybody's throat. Are people there really like that?

I live in Gloucester, England.

There are a lot of reasons why I love living in Gloucester, there's a lot going for it and having moved about a lot and lived in a good variety of diverse places in the UK, I think I'm really lucky to live there.

The first thing I think of about Gloucester is the variety of sports and activites and regular things we want out of life that can make life a joy. There's great schools, parks, surrounding countryside and access to other great places. There's plenty to do, from narrow boats and rowing on the canal to watching the town rugby team at the stadium, there's something for everyone. Plenty of green spaces to walk the dog or get away from it all just a walk away and there's wilder places a little further afield, not to mention the great riding centres I visit several times a week now.

Secondly, its the things that bring people to visit and the welcome they get that makes me happy here. There are sites and museums of historical interest, Such as the cathedral, there's the bargains to be picked up in the seconds shops, great food at the Friday market, or attend the festivals and sports fixtures both here and nearby. There is a lot going on of interest to all ages, both ongoing clubs and classes and one off or annual events.

Thirdly, I love Gloucester because there's a good mix of people here, from all walks of life and from all over the world. As well as having a variety of churches, we have a mosque and a mixed community. As well as liking being a part of a (mostly) tolerant society, this all helps me be happy in my own skin and comfortable just being myself and taking part in community ventures in my own small ways.

Right now we're staying in a town called St Ives, in Cornwall. We've rented a house, so were not exactly living here but we'd like to, each for our own reasons.

First reason is that its extremely compact, full of winding narrow lanes and old stone cottages. There's an uncompromising nature about it, making it difficult for cars to get around but great for walking, as everywhere you look there's something beautiful to see.

This tales me to the second reason, the light here is something special, clear and clean, lending a beauty to everything and drawing artists here for generations. There's numerous galleries, and a reputation for artist colonies.

Last but not least is the sea, the turquoise beauty, mesmerising waves, calming and theraputic effect, the food that comes from it, the wise people who work alongside or on it, the sound, the shells, stones and driftwood it washes up and the many beaches that almost surround this part of the town.

I currently live in Waco, TX. Which I lovingly refer to as Wacko.

It's hard to come up with anything positive about this place but I'll try:

1. There is an excellent library book sale every November with thousands of books practically for free.

2. It is a diverse area.

3. There are quite a few unique independent businesses in town.

Although luckily I am moving, not soon enough though.

I live in South Orange County, California.

1. The variety of things to see and do here is vast. Within an hour or so there are theme parks/roller coasters, beaches/surfing, mountains/skiing and deserts/power trails ;) . A relatively large amount of land has been set aside for open space and parks for such an urban setting; much better than when I lived in the country, but was surrounded by private ranch land and had to drive 20-50 minutes just to hike. And the area is packed with more geocaches than I could find in 20 years.

2. Climate/weather. I don't need to add anything to that, do I?

3. Low crime rates. Since I am alone for 90% of my hiking and geocaching, it matters that I don't have to worry overmuch beyond the lions, snakes and twisted ankles.

Well, It's been awhile since my last posted cointest... so this is as reason as any. Recently, while reading Yahoo News, I clicked on a story about the top ten Happiest cities in America. Of course, this list included the beautiful cities of Boulder-Co, Lincoln-NE, and Honolulu-HI. There are jobs in these cities, people are healthy, and there are things to do. The list also included the statistic that I am embarrassed to admit. The city where I work... Huntington,WV/Ashland,KY came in DEAD LAST out of all of the cities in the United States in Happiness. This is probably due to the extreme shortage of jobs in the area, very unhealthy people, and there is nothing to do except for making a basement meth lab. The statistics were gathered via way of survey from the Gallup group.

So, what I would like to do is make this survey known to the general public via local papers... aka letter to the editor (yes people still write those). I would like to list some activities and interests of people from other areas that seem to be related to their happiness (this is where you come in).

-Give me 3 reasons why YOU like the area that you live in.

-I would like these numbered or bulleted... to make it easier to add into a spreadsheet (you can still write paragraphs pertaining to the subject after or before the bullets if you want).

-Only One post per person will be thrown into the hat.

-Winner will be randomly drawn.

-I will try to send out a coin that the winner does not have.

- I will use some of the information obtained in my letter to the editor... but not exact quotes... just numeric statistics from this small non-random population.

- COINTEST is not restricted to US members.

- COINTEST ends April 15th, 2011 at 11:59 pm EST.

*here is the link in case you're interested. http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-news/blog/daily-money/the-10-happiest-and-saddest-cities-in-the-us/2308/

Thanks everyone for your help!

I would think that either as a direct result, or part of the problem that the tri-state region is in such dire circumstances, is the drug problem here. Last night, there was a special on A&E called "Hillbilly Heroin" about all of the pain clinics around here with doctors prescribing Oxycontin at alarming rates in this region. THey don't accept health insurance... to get Oxycontin, all you need is a gov't id and $200. As a result, there is a lot of theft in the area... lots of overdoses... lots of prostitution. Portsmouth, Ohio and Huntington, WV have two of the highest drug rates in the United States. I feel sorry for this area... but I will eventually leave this cancered region. The worst part is that the press and local politicians deny that we have a problem.

1)It is the friendliest town no one is treated disrespectfully everyone is treated like family and taken care of.

2)It is the safest town I can walk my dog after midnight and my kids can go anywhere they like after dark.

3)Anything that a person could ever need or want is close by medical, dental, recreation, shopping.

Spearfish South Dakota is the best ! Nobody tries to take advantage of another person. The city keeps the town looking fabulous and even bought the old walmart building to put in a huge rec center which has everything including skating and waterslides. Everyone including the businesses and the police department goes beyond what they have to do. I would never live anywhere else.

Ah man, this is an interesting one. Never entered a cointest before so hopefully I'm doing this right, ahah.

So, I'm from Portland, Oregon. There's a few reasons why I love and hate this place though, ahah.

1. Great view and interesting places to visit (such as Mt. Hood, LOTS of restaurants, fairly straight forward drive to the beach, lakes, forests, bars, shops, etc.)

2. Quite a few nice decent colleges here (Pacific university, Oregon university, PCC, etc.)

3. Lots of nice jobs to get after you finish college

And I know you just said 3, but I have another one I'd like to add.

4. Culture. I'm sure there are more places like this, but I haven't been to many large cities that have a decently spread out culture within it. With museums, galleries, japanese garden, a dozen restaurants with all types of food from all over the world, and a lot of interesting shops (including quite a few nice ones with lots of imports.)

5. Portland is very green friendly, ahaha. A large solar panel manufacturer over here has been creating some useful jobs.

Edited by Techen