cache page audit

Blue Man

I was contacted by a cache owner who noticed I was browsing his page too early in the morning; he was concerned about my insomnia. I asked him how he knew and he told me there was now an audit function for the owner to check who was viewing and when. However, I can't seem to find it on my own cache pages. Anybody know about this? Thanks.

icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Even though I don't mind people knowing when I look at their cache pages, this instance and the communication from the cache owner sounds an awful lot like invasion of privacy. icon_frown.gif

Yeah, I was a little surprised to get his message. I think he intended it in a friendly way but I understand how easily it could be misinterpreted.

I guess I'll have to create a subscribers-only cache to see how this works.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

We'll most likely be including an audit function in all caches owned by premium members in the future. This will be incorporated as we move to .net

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

What exactly is .net anyway? I must not be reading the right Micro$oft page...

66427_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Man:

I was contacted by a cache owner who noticed I was browsing his page too early in the morning; he was concerned about my insomnia. I asked him how he knew and he told me there was now an audit function for the owner to check who was viewing and when. However, I can't seem to find it on my own cache pages. Anybody know about this? Thanks.

icon_confused.gif

Love your avatar. I'm a big Blue Man Group fan.

I find it kinda touching that another geocacher was concerned about your insomnia. If only all geocachers were so concerned about each other!

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

How many geocachers can you fit into an ammo box?

Is it just me? I think this audit aspect is kind of scary. I don't really care who's looking at my cache pages and when... but I'm pretty sure I don't like the fact that someone else knows what I'm doing with my computer. icon_eek.gif

This is the first I've heard of this.

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

I do IT for a living and am very sensitive about privacy because I know the magnitude of damage that can be done.

I'm pretty sure they won't be able to do any detailed monitoring (other than IP address) if the visitor is not logged-on to geocache.com. I am turning-off my automatic logon.

icon_mad.gif

The reason was more clear back when we first started talking about Members-Only caches, even if it was highly debated.

The biggest problem was that people were being systematically targeted. I think it was BunkerDave that suggested the possibility of being able to audit who is looking at his caches, since they were being targeted and looted.

quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy in Pay to Play? I'd like to hear from Jeremy

...The other issue, that I haven't addressed on the subscription page, is that some folks have become targets by anonymous troublemakers that like to destroy individual's caches. Subscription only caches will allow you to audit your cache to see who looked at your cache page and when. In addition, a certain amount of anonymity goes away when you subscribe, so troublemakers will either not bother subscribing or be scared to subscribe since they are no longer anonymous...

Since this five-page rant against pay-for-play, the furor over Members-Only caches has all but died away. There are not the masses of "mo caches" that people were afraid of. But almost gone too was the knowledge that the audit trail for Members-Only caches existed.

K618 - it doesn't matter that you turned off your auto-login. Only Members-Only caches have the audit feature, and you must be logged in to see Members-Only caches. So by definition, you will be tracked if you peruse a MO cache. Standard cache pages (even those owned by Charter Members) do not have the audit feature.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Its foolish to think that you have any privacy at all when viewing content on the web. There are dozens of points along the way where your browsing privacy can be compromised.

It would be trivial for someone to monitor who (by IP address) is viewing their cache pages, even without extra auditing support from Groundspeak.

If you're really concerned about keeping your geocache browsing private, use an anonymous proxy service such as anonymizer.com. All data requests are sent through the proxy, so anybody watching (even by IP address of requester) won't see you, they'll see the proxy.

I'm curious if those on the forums who toot the Privacy Trumpet are as concerned in their offline lives as they are in their online ones. Do you show your ID when you buy beer? Do you leave mail with your name sitting on your car seat? Do you alter your appearance to avoid being recognized? Do you block caller ID? Do you tell people your birthdate? Do you suspect that the russians are behind the use of flouride in drinking water?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I'm curious if those on the forums who toot the Privacy Trumpet are as concerned in their offline lives as they are in their online ones. Do you show your ID when you buy beer? Do you leave mail with your name sitting on your car seat? Do you alter your appearance to avoid being recognized? Do you block caller ID? Do you tell people your birthdate? Do you suspect that the russians are behind the use of flouride in drinking water?

All that and more! Constantly wear white cotton gloves to keep from leaving fingerprints. Only make telephone calls on a securePhone. Only send anonymous, encrypted email. Incinerate all disposable drinking containers in order to eliminate DNA evidence. Never buy a car, only rent cars under assumed names with fake IDs. Record every conversation, and yet ensure that no one else records any conversation. Never pay taxes, all transactions are in small, unmarked bills or foreign currency. Always wear a zorro mask to prevent computer-based CCD camera systems from matching your face against the database of known soccer hooligans.

Well if privacy is the concern, of course, we're all vulnerable. Even with information that we don't think is going to point to us.

I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Seems like a fitting place

Hunting Logscaler (Warning - long load time)

But the point is not so much that the information is available. It's what we do with that information. My Geodashing buddies once took me up on a challenge (find where I live based on my posts). Within a couple of hours, someone had an aerial shot of my neighborhood and circle my neighbors house. Get out the aluminum hats, boys! icon_rolleyes.gif But no one came knocking on my door asking to go Geodashing.

IMHO, knowing information about me is not necessarily an invasion of my privacy until you DO something with that information. If I walk around in my underwear in front of my picture window with open curtains, it's my fault. If my neighbor comes up and says, "Hey - nice boxers, dancing boy," that's his fault.

IMO, this cacher overstepped the bounds of social etiquette by making an inquiry to the cacher that was looking at his page at 3:00 in the morning.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

IMO, this cacher overstepped the bounds of social etiquette by making an inquiry to the cacher that was looking at his page at 3:00 in the morning.

Certainly. It'd be like the cable company calling you up and asking, "So, did you enjoy watching Women of Thunder? Was it worth the $6.95 pay-per-view fee?"

I'm pretty new to GeoCaching and was not aware of the MO features. Whatever the case, I still think I will manually log-on each time I need to do tasks that require it. Reason (stated by Jeremy above)

"We'll most likely be including an audit function in all caches owned by premium members in the future. This will be incorporated as we move to .net"

This would seem to imply that "premium members" would be able to see and ident visitors to non-MO caches (if they were logged-in).

Thanks for the clarification.

Perhaps some of the issues here can be resolved by not displaying the full date/time stamp, but only the date stamp, on the list of recent cache viewers. Some folks are concerned about having it plastered around that they browse caches during business hours, etc.

I don't think the time-of-day information is going to be very useful for anybody who utilized the audit feature. What do you folks think? Is date-only a good compromise?

This seems nit-picky to me RE: time. What difference does it really make? So they knew you checked it during lunch - big deal. icon_smile.gif That doesn't tell you anything about anything. It doesn't even indicate that the person will be going to your cache. I don't understand the privacy issue there. Seems like work to fix something that's not broke.

What I don't understand is why audit trails are implemented, but you still can't know who's watching your cache. Or did that change?

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Jeremy can see each and every one of our IP addresses every time we post. So what if have an MOC and I can see when the last time a cacher looked at the page and how many times? NO other personal information is given. Only a link to that user's profile which can be done from the cache page itself!

I REALLY like it, and I hope as a Premium user I can have that information on every cache I place, not just the MOCs when, as Jeremy stated, should be incorporated when geocaching moves to .net.

I'm going home to line my walls with lead and duct tape.

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I just don't see the point of the audit function for finding plunderers. If it's a member - couldn't it just be someone using pocketqueries and Watcher to read the cache pages?

Not a big deal to me - but I didn't see why anyone would be interested in seeing who read their cache pages (I'm only interested in who actually goes to find 'em!) icon_biggrin.gif

I like the audit function. Gives me a heads up who might be heading for my cache.

For those of you who don't like people to know what you are doing on your computer. Don't use your computer.

Besides all we really know is that someone using your account name (most likely you) viewed a cache page. That has nothing to do with what computer you were on and what else you might be doing on said computer at the time.

I once got a phone call when I had caller ID. "The caller has blocked caller ID, please press # to accept this call" Um.. Ok. Click. *Dialtone*

Wherever you go there you are.