Caribiner Clips

budbon

When I'm hiking I clip the Gps to the chest strap of my Camelbak, then unclip the strap so I can use the Gps that's still clicked to the strap. I tried the lanyard but the strap rubs my neck and bugs the heck out of me. When we are caching anywhere but hiking I just carry the gps in my hand.

I purchased a more comfortable lanyard for my unit.

I tied up the lanyard on my Oregon so it is shorter, and if it isn't in my hand, it is hanging from a small carabiner (Walmart, like a buck), on the pack strap by my right hand. (Sorry, I'm a former Marine ground pounder, and pretty well OCD. Everything has it's place.....LOL) If it's a P&G, or if I know going in no swag will fit, I may leave the pack in the car, and it goes into the left hand pocket on my cache pants ($15 Faded Glory cargo pants. Best pocket arrangement I've found for caching. I would even prefer these to my MARPAT cammie trousers, I think.)

If it's a P&G, or if I know going in no swag will fit, I may leave the pack in the car, and it goes into the left hand pocket on my cache pants ($15 Faded Glory cargo pants. Best pocket arrangement I've found for caching. I would even prefer these to my MARPAT cammie trousers, I think.)

I love my 5.11 TacLite pants for caching. Light poly/cotton ripstop material (much cooler than the original cotton version, it gets warm in Louisiana), reinforced knees, plenty of pockets....all around great tactical-type trousers. There's one pocket on the front of the left leg that I think was designed to carry a spare handgun magazine, but it fits my Garmin eTrex like it was made specifically for that device. :cool:

Mine is always on a lanyard around my neck when I get to the cache.

I've read so many stories of people leaving their GPS at the cache site and then never seeing it again. And I've actually seen people leave their GPS's at the cache site a number of times.

I don't think HOW you attach it to yourself is so important as that you do it.

Once I'm at GZ, the GPS is attached to me in one way or another. Once the search gets going and the cache is brought out, people set their GPS's down and forget them.

My personal rule is, once I've found GZ, my GPS is secured in some way. Always.

Usually on a lanyard, but if I'm biking, it goes on a RAM bike mount. Thwn I have to remove it and carry it with me to the cache, because clipping the lanyard on each time (have to remove the clip to fit on my bike mount) is a pain. For city caching, I hold it and then put it in my purse. I think it looks strange to carry a gps around the city, but I can hide it in my purse, which stays on my shoulder.

I took a belt clip for my 60CSx and mounted it on my trek pole with cable ties. That way I can look at it any time by just lifting my hand. It also gives me an easy to mark GZ when hunting - jam pole in ground and work out/around it. And while I've left the GPSr at GZ a couple of times in the past, I've never left a trek pole (or the GPSr since I've started using this set-up).

I took a belt clip for my 60CSx and mounted it on my trek pole with cable ties. That way I can look at it any time by just lifting my hand. It also gives me an easy to mark GZ when hunting - jam pole in ground and work out/around it. And while I've left the GPSr at GZ a couple of times in the past, I've never left a trek pole (or the GPSr since I've started using this set-up).

Geocaches are never buried. If a shovel, trowel or other pointy object is used to dig or break ground, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not permitted.

Hmmmm....thinking....... :huh:

When I'm not carrying it, and looking at it, it hangs on a lanyard around my neck. Works for me. :)

Never got that one. I've seen people doing it and tried it myself but I found having my GPS bouncing around and banging into my chest throughout my hike was unpleasant.

I like to clip them to my belt or pocket. I was happy to learn that DeLorme now has a case that will allow me to do that. The ability to carry my DeLorme comfortably was an issue since I've owned it. My choices were either carry it in my hand, hang it from my neck or put it in my pocket. None were agreeable.

Here is how I carry my 60CSX and when I buy the case for my PN40 I will carry it the same way.

6991b3b1-13db-4e24-abcb-dddefc0ce1b1.jpg

I attach mine to my backpack with the lanyard- just looping it through on of the many odd elastic bits on my bag works well for me. I used to loop it on the pick up loop on the top of my pack until a trip down Mt. Sneffels on my bum resulted in the gps getting caught between me, the pack and the ground- had to get a new GPS after that.

Being that I fall down often it is best for me to have the GPS attached to me and in front so that I don't sit on it or anything like that.

Here is how I carry my 60CSX and when I buy the case for my PN40 I will carry it the same way.

6991b3b1-13db-4e24-abcb-dddefc0ce1b1.jpg

Ha. Glad to see somebody else does exactly the same thing I do. The clip gives me a place to put it when I need or want my hands free, the attachment of the lanyard to belt or belt loop not only safeguards the GPS if I should happen to drop it, but keeps me from setting it down somewhere and forgetting it.

I can't imagine putting the GPS around my neck - not only would it clunk like crazy, but when I'm hiking I'm usually already wearing a lanyard with a dog whistle and the remote for my terrier's e-collar.

I have a pair of SanDisk straps from USB drives (I keep them on my key ring) on my GPSr's which I use looped in a slipknot around my wrist, a technique I use for my camera as well. If I need to use my hands, I just release the GPSr and it hangs loose, but it won't go anywhere else. Otherwise, it's always in my hand.