What if I can not afford a GPS?

Captain Saint

Its possible using Google sat photos, particularly where there are identifiable features in the photo. It's a fairly easy process in cities and suburban areas. Not so easy in the woods. A lot people start out that way and there are some who have thousands of finds without a GPS. A GPS just makes things a whole lot easier.

Also, consider letterboxing. It is similar to geocaching, but no GPS is necessary. Clues are used to guide you to the box.

Or, if you have a local surplus store (Army-Navy), you may be able to get a grid protractor.

Looks like this:

protractor.jpg

(The divider is handy as well, but land nav is much easier with a protractor.) Just make sure it's got the same scale as your map. I spent 12 years in the Marines, and found plenty of ammo cans in woods all over the world with a map and compass. Matter of fact, in 1996, we were testing the first generation handheld GPSR's for the Marines, and I actually put the thing away, and got my compass back out. (I looked down, and it said 50 meters. I looked around, and looked back, and it said 2 km.) LOL Oh, and the $10 Silva compass I carried every time I went to the field never led me wrong. Easy to use, durable, lightweight, and as I noted, low price.

I don't know if this is an option, but I've heard some schools will loan out GPSr's. You may check with a public library, or look on Craig's list for a cheap used one. You don't even need one with close to current technology to successfully cache. The modern bells and whistles make things easier, but they are not required.

Hope this helps!

Edited by DazDnFamily

It looks a lot more difficult than it is. The marks around the outside are in degrees and mils, used to plot an azimuth. The scales on the inside are in 3(4) different scales, and used to measure distance. Each of those sections of tick marks (notice on the 1:50K scale in the top left, it has 0-1km) The longer tick marks are 100 meters each, and the shorter ones are 50 meters. Read right, then up to plot an UTM or MGRS coordinate. MGRS (Military Grid Reference System) is an easier way to reference a UTM coord. Instead of having to calculate meters from the Equator/Meridian (The UTM system is broken down into 6 degree UTM zones), it breaks things down into 100k meter grid squares. So it looks something like this: 18S TD 01234 01234. (18S is the UTM zone, TD is the 100k grid zone designator. That coordinate is somewhere in the neighborhood of Camp Lejeune, N.C.) They teach people in about week 6 or so of boot camp to do it, and most grunts can use these in their sleep. With that, and my $10 Silva compass, I found my way through double canopy jungle in Okinawa. The 1:24k USGS maps aren't really supported by that thing, because the military typically uses 1:50k. (Or, at least did in my day. I've been out for over 6 years now.) But, I'm sure some super smart map monkey somewhere has developed a protractor for that scale. And, as you get more comfortable with land nav, and reading maps, you actually need that thing less and less. Then, it becomes what I've heard referenced as Orienteering, where you are reading the map as you move through the terrain. Much like your GPSr course corrects you on the fly.

You can prolly even find a full scale image of that thing on line, print it on plastic, and cut out the holes. I've used several over the years that were done that way. I'd also bet there are a ton of good references on line to teach you how to land nav. If brand new Marine grunts can figure it out, (and before anyone starts, I was a grunt for 4 1/2 years....) it's not -that- hard. LOL Actually, new Soldiers learn it as well.... Just saying. LOLOLOL

Matter of fact, right after I posted this, I ran a Google search for Land Navigation. Here's the U.S. Army Field Manual on the topic: LINK

Another edit. This page has an animated Power Point that sows you how to use the protractor. I think it's under the "Plot a Coordinate" button. (I killed that tab like a dummy. You may have to click through and find it.) LINK

Edited by DazDnFamily

Be careful about the advice on getting a used geocache.

You can do it, but don't get one too old.

You need to have one that is WAAS enabled. This picks up extra satellites and ground based beacons.

I began caching with a GPS that was 7 years old and was not WAAS enabled. It would have been easier to cache using Google maps!!!!!!! I generally was about 100 feet off from the cache.

The one good point, I got really good at finding caches with bad coordinates! :laughing:

Anything within about the last four years or so should be fine. Maybe more, I'm not sure.

The prices are dropping dramatically on them.

I'd suggest checking ebay. They sell new ones really cheap.

The Geomate Jr. is what...$70 new? So, there's a chance he could find a used one for cheap. Also, check the Garage Sale forum here. You can find deals like this...LINK. I know that Walmart has the Magellan Triton series on a ridiculous sale, $109 for the Triton 400, which supposedly supports paperless caching, custom maps, and I know they had a very good forum community as well. (www.tritonforums.com) That's new in the box, from a store, with a warranty. I almost bought a Triton 400 as my first GPSr, but the devotion of the DeLorme guys around here pushed me to a PN-30. Because the proce has dropped so far, I'm thinking of getting one to back up the Oregon we now use.

Later!

If you are in the United States and old enough to post on these boards (13 or older by law) then you are old enough to figure out a way to get money for a GPS. I did odd jobs for my neighbors when I was a kid and bought a NES, Gameboy and later Sega Genesis. Go mow some lawns and save your money.

Edited by releasethedogs

I use a PDA (running windows mobile) and a bluetooth GPSr (sirf star III chipset)

The whole lot cost less than $40 (ebay is your friend),

and does exactly the same job as my mates $400 oregon

(and does it just as well - in fact better, as it also runs tomtom for on road navigation)

ok it's not water proof but

Refurbished eTrex Venture HC - $104 on Amazon.com, New unit - $120 on Amazon.com.

Venture H series is even cheaper @ $84.

If you're looking for urban/suburban caches, you can use Google maps to pinpoint the area or structure, then use the cache description to go in for the find. I've done this on a few caches when I didn't have my phone or GPS handy.

Get a map, compass and protractor. That is all anyone needs. Look it up on line as the grunt (above) stated. I was advance party for quite a few years and that was all you needed to find anyplace on earth. When those other people break their toys or they run out of juice, then the real fun begins.

If you still can't figure it out after trying to figure it out on-line, send me a pm and I'll talk you though it. If I can teach 70 or so 18-19 year olds the basics, in a few hours, I can easily teach one person.

What if I am too young to afford a GPS? Is it possible to geocache without one?

Also worthwhile checking out local events.

Meet a few of the locals and get to know them.

Those with youngsters may take you out with their kids.

Who knows, someone may have a spare GPS, that once they get to know, you may sell it cheep!

Learning to find them with a map & compass is not as hard as it sounds. There are instructional resources all over the net that will give you the information you need. Google orienteering. You won't log bunches per day using this method, but it will get you out there and you might learn a thing or two in the process.

Put it on your birthday gift list, on your Xmas gift list, and whatever list your family honors. Sell it to your parents what you can get out of geocaching - exercise, exploring, etc...

Start a GPS fund, and display it prominently at home - this may encourage your parents/guardians to drop an extra five or ten dollar bill.

Go to events and rub elbows with the veterans - many have GPS' they don't use and if you charm them, they may 'loan' you one.

Craigslist. Cut some lawns, save your money an just watch it for deals. Bought an Etrex Legend for only $30 a few months ago. Met the seller at a local shopping center, made sure it worked, gave him his money. Checked our local Graigslist today and someone has a yellow Etrex for only $45 right now. I've also seen Magellan Explorists going for less than $40 on Ebay. Etrex and Explorists are good little units.

You are young....also take interest in the advice on learning map/compass land nav. Good to know anyway.

Your birthday is coming, so is Christmas...could you ask for one present for both events? Maybe even chip in some money yourself. Someone here was First To Find a newly published geocache using only her knowledge of the area, her son and the description/hint.

Maybe you could get together with someone who has a GPS (with your folks' permission, after they have met them) and try your hand at caching with theirs. Maybe your folks would enjoy geocaching - look for a nearby event in your area you can all go to.

I use a PDA (running windows mobile) and a bluetooth GPSr (sirf star III chipset)

The whole lot cost less than $40 (ebay is your friend),

and does exactly the same job as my mates $400 oregon

(and does it just as well - in fact better, as it also runs tomtom for on road navigation)

ok it's not water proof but

Similarly, I have a Dell Axim handheld PC from about 2001; bought it on ebay for $25, and also bought a Compact Flash GPS card for it (also really cheaply off of ebay), and then cachemate for $10, and I use it all the time for caching! Works awesome, and paperlessly too for less than $50. Yeah, it's not waterproof either, but just be careful. We've had ours for a couple of years now.