Aloha Thread ( Hawaiian Islands )

rav_bunneh

I'm tired of the rain in Seattle...so it's time for another Hawaii trip. :) I'll be headed to Oahu in late April and I've got an important mission for the trip...find my 1000th geocache. I found some pretty awesome geocaches the last time I was there (thank you to the local geocachers for a really fun day finding some of those caches). If there's an ultimate milestone style cache I should add to my list for this trip, please let me know. An adventure would be fun for this milestone (think GCHREH on Maui, for example). I also wouldn't mind company for this adventure. :)

Aloha!

Can you tell the Geohana isn't very good about keeping up with the forums. There are a ton of caches that would make a great milestone. None of these are quite the epic adventure of that Maui cache, but look at these:

GCQH09 Cache of the Holy Grail that one pretty much begs for a quest!

GC1FRYW A Nano in the Woods (expect the unexpected) both of those were hidden by Dadwrap his caches are always worth doing. ;)

If you want your adventure to be even wetter then consider:

GC29FFF Davey Jones' Locker

GC148PG Tail of the Lizard

GC13WBE The Great Sandball Fight

GCQTQ Pele's Lap Pool

GC2MDQ7 Ahu o Laka it's an Earthcache, & it might be cool to have an event at the sand bar! (It does requires a boat).

You could also consider CRider's "Underworld" caches which take you to little known bunkers and irrigation tunnels. I haven't done most of them, but I'm sure any the finders would be glad to help.

There are at least a dozen great hikes to take you to the summit of the Koolau mountains giving you 360 degree views...depends how long a hike you want. Hope we get to see you while you are here. (We will be on the mainland for a bit and get back 4/27).

jrr

Hey, did you ever pass on that coin we gave you for GeoGerms? We appreciated your help with that. Thanks :D

Aloha!

Can you tell the Geohana isn't very good about keeping up with the forums. There are a ton of caches that would make a great milestone. None of these are quite the epic adventure of that Maui cache, but look at these:

GCQH09 Cache of the Holy Grail that one pretty much begs for a quest!

GC1FRYW A Nano in the Woods (expect the unexpected) both of those were hidden by Dadwrap his caches are always worth doing. ;)

If you want your adventure to be even wetter then consider:

GC29FFF Davey Jones' Locker

GC148PG Tail of the Lizard

GC13WBE The Great Sandball Fight

GCQTQ Pele's Lap Pool

GC2MDQ7 Ahu o Laka it's an Earthcache, & it might be cool to have an event at the sand bar! (It does requires a boat).

You could also consider CRider's "Underworld" caches which take you to little known bunkers and irrigation tunnels. I haven't done most of them, but I'm sure any the finders would be glad to help.

There are at least a dozen great hikes to take you to the summit of the Koolau mountains giving you 360 degree views...depends how long a hike you want. Hope we get to see you while you are here. (We will be on the mainland for a bit and get back 4/27).

jrr

Aloha! I'll be landing at Kailua-Kona on April 11th; staying for two weeks. I would love to check out some of the hikeable caches on the Island; however, I'm traveling with a non-hiker-non-cacher, and not too thrilled with the idea of hiking alone in unfamiliar territory.

If any of the cachers (either resident or visiting) would be interested in doing some hiking with me during my stay, I would thoroughly enjoy the opportunity.

Thanks!

Sue

Though it's bee a few months since I posted, I felt like an Update to the PQ Dates would be good!

Hawaii All Caches PQs:

01/01/2000 to 07/19/2011 gives you 999

07/20/2011 to 12/31/2014 gives you 953

Hawaii has 1952 caches Published as of right now. Who's going to have the 2000th?

The Steaks

Wow...Over a YEAR since ANYONE has posted anything in the Hawaii Thread. I guess everyone has been out caching their islands! I felt like an Update to the PQ Dates would be good!

Hawaii All Caches PQs:

01/01/2000 to 11/11/2011 gives you 999

11/11/2011 to 01/19/2014 gives you 999

01/20/2014 to 12/31/2015 gives you 302

Hawaii has 2300 caches Published as of right now. The 2000th Active cache was GC4NEER. What will the 3,000th Active cache be?

The Steaks

Yeah... Another YEAR goes by with me being the only finder of the page...

2312 Active Caches as of this last week. Still the same PQ Format I listed last year.

Life is still going, and we WILL be back to get the rest of the islands done, and Heck, I SHOULD be able to do Heli Tours at some point... That'll be nice!!

The Steaks

Aloha, former Kamaaina here with a request for an assist. I left a cache at N21°25.678 W157°53.402 on the Waiau Ridge Trail in 2009. It never got published, probably due to my frequent address changes at the time (military). Even if it's never been found, it's kind of important to me, so I'd like to at least reclaim it on my next trip to the islands (June, 2019). I'm curious if anyone might be able to check and see if it's still there, at least, or if it's been muggled. Pretty much start at the top of Kaahumanu Street, stay straight at any trail forks (heading towards the summit), maybe 2-3 miles in... Well past Good News. There's a beautiful overlook just before a stretch of open ridge, with a tree on the right side that has a long, funny shaped branch. Years ago, someone nailed a pink shirt to that tree, but the shirt is likely long gone at this point. The cache is a medium ammo can behind or beside that tree.

No worries to go out of your way, but if you're headed up that way for a hike or another cache, I'd be much obliged if someone could at least check on it.

Mahalo,

Buck

On 7/6/2016 at 1:36 PM, YodaGotHisGun said:

Aloha, former Kamaaina here with a request for an assist. I left a cache at N21°25.678 W157°53.402 on the Waiau Ridge Trail in 2009. It never got published, probably due to my frequent address changes at the time (military). Even if it's never been found, it's kind of important to me, so I'd like to at least reclaim it on my next trip to the islands (June, 2019). I'm curious if anyone might be able to check and see if it's still there, at least, or if it's been muggled. Pretty much start at the top of Kaahumanu Street, stay straight at any trail forks (heading towards the summit), maybe 2-3 miles in... Well past Good News. There's a beautiful overlook just before a stretch of open ridge, with a tree on the right side that has a long, funny shaped branch. Years ago, someone nailed a pink shirt to that tree, but the shirt is likely long gone at this point. The cache is a medium ammo can behind or beside that tree.

No worries to go out of your way, but if you're headed up that way for a hike or another cache, I'd be much obliged if someone could at least check on it.

Mahalo,

Buck

Yoda, were you able to get your cache?  I'm still stationed here for another 9 months.  I might be able to head out that way and check it out.