Aloha Thread ( Hawaiian Islands )

rav_bunneh

I Thought I would start the 3rd page as well, but thats good Team Pixos. When we started caching, we didn't pay attention to this or that statistic, but lately its been good to be able to do specific caches for specific goals to "sort" the caches.

Of course, we've already cleared 365 days of caching this last year, and our D/T Grid is almost full...The Historical caches(+10 Years active) are really cool, and the Virtual/Webcams are Really good to get!!

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Hey all. Me and my wife will be in the area (Oahu) between 1/30 & 2/6. Any recommendations as far as food and/or caches would be greatly appreciated. Might be able to meet up and get travelers that want to get back to the mainland (I don't see any events scheduled so an email with info would be fine, unless an event gets posted between now & then that is...).

Hey all. Me and my wife will be in the area (Oahu) between 1/30 & 2/6. Any recommendations as far as food and/or caches would be greatly appreciated. Might be able to meet up and get travelers that want to get back to the mainland (I don't see any events scheduled so an email with info would be fine, unless an event gets posted between now & then that is...).

Feel Free to come by our other event on the Big Island on 2/4. Its just another plane ride and rental vehicle. Would also say just host an event, but i think its almost too late to get one listed for that time period. Will be Tweeting and such All trip long. Of course, to figure our info out, check out our Website...

The Steaks

Feel Free to come by our other event on the Big Island on 2/4. Its just another plane ride and rental vehicle. Would also say just host an event, but i think its almost too late to get one listed for that time period. Will be Tweeting and such All trip long. Of course, to figure our info out, check out our Website...

The Steaks

That one is on my radar, it'd be a long shot tho.

I've thought about posting an event of my own but have no idea where would be a good place to hold it.

Aloha!

I'm headed to Oahu again soon and have found a lot of cool caches to add to my to do list, but wanted to make sure I don't miss out on any of the great ones. I tend to use Geocaching.com as my guide book for places since I can find those off the beaten path cool locations. I'll be staying up on the North Shore but I think my friends and I will be wandering around the island a fair bit. If you have any suggestions for some "wow!" caches location wise (I have to convince my friends that they will want to go geocaching with me), do let me know.

Also, I was looking at a couple caches I might want to try finding and just needed some info.

Is there a good place near GC2MDQ7 to rent kayaks?

GC10FP3 has quite a few warnings on the cache page. What's a good resource for tides and knowing when best to attempt the cache? Since I'm highly accident prone - how scared should I be about sharks? :)

Aloha!

I'm headed to Oahu again soon and have found a lot of cool caches to add to my to do list, but wanted to make sure I don't miss out on any of the great ones. I tend to use Geocaching.com as my guide book for places since I can find those off the beaten path cool locations. I'll be staying up on the North Shore but I think my friends and I will be wandering around the island a fair bit. If you have any suggestions for some "wow!" caches location wise (I have to convince my friends that they will want to go geocaching with me), do let me know.

Also, I was looking at a couple caches I might want to try finding and just needed some info.

Is there a good place near GC2MDQ7 to rent kayaks?

GC10FP3 has quite a few warnings on the cache page. What's a good resource for tides and knowing when best to attempt the cache? Since I'm highly accident prone - how scared should I be about sharks? :)

Great to hear you are paying us a visit Love :D . Since you are staying on the North Shore I would highly recommend heading over to the western point of the island - Kaena Point (reference cache - GCJ45Y). When are you scheduled to be on island (if you don't mind me asking :unsure: ), if it is in the near future you will most definitely spy whales playing off shore while on your trek out.

As for kayak rentals, here is the closest one I found to Ahu o Laka - Kayaks.

Cost:

4 Hour Rental: 12pm – 4pm $55. Per kayak

2 Hour Rental: 2pm – 4pm $35. Per kayak

As for GC10FP3, the swim over is very short, but it can get rough during the winter months. Here is a link for the tides, I believe Velzyland is the closest on this tide site.

Thanks GeoGerms! That's great info. I was looking at caches near the western point so I'll add that one to my bookmark list. I'll actually be there next week....can't wait! I was keeping an eye on the event calendar but it doesn't look like there will be any on Oahu while I'm there. I'm not sure what my friends and I will be up to during the week otherwise I would have planned one myself. :)

Thanks GeoGerms! That's great info. I was looking at caches near the western point so I'll add that one to my bookmark list. I'll actually be there next week....can't wait! I was keeping an eye on the event calendar but it doesn't look like there will be any on Oahu while I'm there. I'm not sure what my friends and I will be up to during the week otherwise I would have planned one myself. :)

If I were driving around Oahu with friends who didn't cache here are the the places I would take them They are all worth going to cache or not! Each is uniquely Hawaiian in some way & none require more than a 5 minute walk from parking.

GCMFAC Secret Menehune Fishing Spot be careful crossing the road and go through the tunnel for the view.

GC12KJE Kaniakapupu walk through the bamboo forest to a place where 10,000 once feasted at a luau.

GC134pb Pineapple Experience retail therapy & Dole whip (some people prefer it to shave ice)

GCE332 A Leap of Faith and GC2PN3F The Spitting Cave of Portlock a 2fer physical cache and Earth cache at my favorite place on the island to watch for whales. Dolphin, monk seals, and honu are also often seen. A steep 3 minute descent (there's lots to hold onto) to great views.

And if you want a short hike 1 mile RT, GC2CKZK Pill Box View will take you to a great view of North Shore waves...and if the waves are huge (and they a predicting a big swell next week)this is a great place to view them without the crowds!

Aloha!

jrr

Helloha,

We're heading to Oahu (for Lat's first time) in late March. We would love input on caching with an emphasis on out of the way places and wildlife viewing. We're in decent physical shape and love the water. We expect to do lots of snorkelling. We'd rather stay away from long, super steep climbs though. We are staying at the Hale Koa and wondered if it might be a good place to hold an event on a weeknight? Or somewhere near that area?

Mahalo

If I were driving around Oahu with friends who didn't cache here are the the places I would take them They are all worth going to cache or not! Each is uniquely Hawaiian in some way & none require more than a 5 minute walk from parking.

GCMFAC Secret Menehune Fishing Spot be careful crossing the road and go through the tunnel for the view.

GC12KJE Kaniakapupu walk through the bamboo forest to a place where 10,000 once feasted at a luau.

GC134pb Pineapple Experience retail therapy & Dole whip (some people prefer it to shave ice)

GCE332 A Leap of Faith and GC2PN3F The Spitting Cave of Portlock a 2fer physical cache and Earth cache at my favorite place on the island to watch for whales. Dolphin, monk seals, and honu are also often seen. A steep 3 minute descent (there's lots to hold onto) to great views.

And if you want a short hike 1 mile RT, GC2CKZK Pill Box View will take you to a great view of North Shore waves...and if the waves are huge (and they a predicting a big swell next week)this is a great place to view them without the crowds!

Aloha!

jrr

jrr - this is great info - thank you! I think the group wouldn't mind visiting most of those places. Can it be Hawaii time already?? :)

Helloha,

We're heading to Oahu (for Lat's first time) in late March. We would love input on caching with an emphasis on out of the way places and wildlife viewing. We're in decent physical shape and love the water. We expect to do lots of snorkelling. We'd rather stay away from long, super steep climbs though. We are staying at the Hale Koa and wondered if it might be a good place to hold an event on a weeknight? Or somewhere near that area?

Mahalo

"Helloha" LOL :laughing: I love it. Hi guys and welcome to my island :anibad: . First off for the event, here are some options. More local cachers will brave Waikiki and attend an event if held on the outskirts of Waikiki as it is very hard to find parking anywhere in the middle.

Ewa end of Waikiki (west side):

Near the Hilton Lagoon close to this cache - GC36RYR).

In the small park behind Hale Koa close to where this cache used to be - GC2J0D3.

Or someplace like where this event was held - GC37MBA :D .

Diamondhead end of Waikiki (east side):

Kapiolani Park is always a good choice for this side, see GC37EJC.

As for some caches with "an emphasis on out of the way places and wildlife viewing" here are a few caches/spots off the top of my head. Many are already listed somewhere in the thread :) .

GC3879M - Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden

GC2MDQ7 - Ahu o Laka (the sand bar), gonna need a kayak

GC102CV - Green Sea turtles frequent this beach (will more than likely be pretty crowded)

GCJ45Y - About a 2 mile walk out on level ground (can be done by Jeep), you may catch a sun bathing Hawaiian Monk Seal, some nesting sea birds, and some whales playing off shore

GC23 - First cache in Hawaii, and on an easy 5 mile loop hike with a bunch of caches along the way

GC12KJE - Ruins of King Kamehameha III's Palace

GC1YRKT - Pali lookout, great views but crazy $3 parking, best gone to with a local to avoid parking charge or make it worth while and pick up all the caches in the area :)

GC1WWKB - Lanikai Beach, one of the best beaches in the world

GC393GY - Makapuu Lookout and Light House hike, awesome views

GCMFAC - take a stroll through a lava tube

GC2YTGP - probably already on your agenda, but worth a mention

GC2PN3F - may find some sea life frolicking nearby

GC4788 - One of the best views of Waikiki and Honolulu

I know there are more and hopefully someone will come along and add more :anibad: .

I also have a puzzle series (Aloha from O'ahu) that take you to a bunch of "postcard" spots :grin: . The puzzle aren't meant to be too difficult and help is always given if you get stuck.

Thanks for the info GeoGerms. We will look more into the event places you recommend. We figured parking would be an issue. We wouldn't want to dish out dollars for parking either.

We have taken some cache info from previous posts and looked at some cacher favorite lists for helpful ideas. We have seen your aloha series but must admit we are lazy with puzzles. :unsure: We appreciate your time working up the list of caches and passing along your ideas. The kayak earthcache (among many others) looks wonderful. We really enjoy earthcaches.

We do have one other question I'm hoping cachers can help us out with. We read so much about not leaving valuables in the car, or your camera on the beach and such. What is your advice when you're out for the day with your gps and then go snorkeling?

I agree with everything Geogerms said. Since you have a bit of time try this. Run a PQ using GC134PB Pineapple Experience, as your center point. Search for all active caches within 35 miles (or just click on the "all nearby caches link on the cache page). This will give you (as of today) all 879 active caches on Oahu. Now go to the preview list and sort the list by favorite points, (click on the little blue ribbon at the top). If you found the 32 caches with 10 or more point you will find what you are looking for. Don't pass up the multis on the list, they are some of the most fun. And as a wildlife preview, this photo was taken near GC2PN3F today. (As they say around here, "lucky we live Hawaii.") jrr

420851_969294559274_50314244_39122308_1003485786_n.jpg

Thanks for the info GeoGerms. We will look more into the event places you recommend. We figured parking would be an issue. We wouldn't want to dish out dollars for parking either.

We have taken some cache info from previous posts and looked at some cacher favorite lists for helpful ideas. We have seen your aloha series but must admit we are lazy with puzzles. :unsure: We appreciate your time working up the list of caches and passing along your ideas. The kayak earthcache (among many others) looks wonderful. We really enjoy earthcaches.

We do have one other question I'm hoping cachers can help us out with. We read so much about not leaving valuables in the car, or your camera on the beach and such. What is your advice when you're out for the day with your gps and then go snorkeling?

Everything you have heard about not leaving valuables in your car is correct. We usually snorkel with a small "fanny pack" drybag big enough for wallet/cellphone. If we are out all day and need to leave some things in the car then we make sure to hide them under the seats & lock the car. The most important thing is not to leave camera bags, backpacks etc. on the seat/dashboard where they are basically an invitation for a break-in. That advice works for well populated areas. When we park at remote trailheads (or places where there is evidence of break-ins) we take everything of value with us and leave the doors unlocked. The thieves are looking for stuff to sell and aren't likely to take your extra towels, t-shirts or other stuff you might not want to take on a hike. Heck they don't even bother taking the "spare change" in the cup holder.

As for events, there is also the location where we are hosting an event on 2/29/12, it's not too far from Waikiki and has the advantage of food being available. Happy caching,

jrr

Everything you have heard about not leaving valuables in your car is correct. We usually snorkel with a small "fanny pack" drybag big enough for wallet/cellphone. If we are out all day and need to leave some things in the car then we make sure to hide them under the seats & lock the car. The most important thing is not to leave camera bags, backpacks etc. on the seat/dashboard where they are basically an invitation for a break-in. That advice works for well populated areas. When we park at remote trailheads (or places where there is evidence of break-ins) we take everything of value with us and leave the doors unlocked. The thieves are looking for stuff to sell and aren't likely to take your extra towels, t-shirts or other stuff you might not want to take on a hike. Heck they don't even bother taking the "spare change" in the cup holder.

As for events, there is also the location where we are hosting an event on 2/29/12, it's not too far from Waikiki and has the advantage of food being available. Happy caching,

jrr

Thanks jrr for your quick answer and the info on finding favorite points on caches. I ran a query and will use the method in the future. The photo is great. I hope they may still be around in late March.

jrr

Thanks jrr for your quick answer and the info on finding favorite points on caches. I ran a query and will use the method in the future. The photo is great. I hope they may still be around in late March.

Do you folks request permission to hold events at restaurants like the kaka'ako kitchen? It looks like a busy place.

jrr

Do you folks request permission to hold events at restaurants like the kaka'ako kitchen? It looks like a busy place.

We have always just shown up. It's a pretty casual place, you order at the counter and they bring your food (in styrofoam containers) to your table in an covered open air seating area. In the evening on a weeknight it's not usually too busy.

Another restaurant/dinner option might be Nico's Pier 38 (it's farther from Waikiki, but more centrally located for kama'aina), and the food is awesome. They used to be open only for lunch but recently moved to a much larger space and are now open til 9. At dinner you also order at a counter and have food delivered. We were there the other night and there was a large group (maybe 25). We asked the bartender if how they felt about large groups and she said it was fine. If you have more questions feel free to send us and email.

jrr

We're Finally Done Logging our caches from our Great trip of 2012... I Think. I'm sure there's one or two that we found that we haven't logged yet due to having finds recorded in multiple places and times. If you recieved a "Generic log that had Nothing to do with the cache..." Sorry. I tried to convey the overall JOY that we had when we were in this state. The biggest question that we now have is for Next year... we have 4 choices. Europe, APE in Brazil, Australia, or Back to Hawaii!

If you have a trip planned to Hawaii and would like a copy of our routes, Just e-mail us and I'll send you the data.

Our Logs, as they were intended:

1/23: We left Rock Springs, WY Really early in the morning, and arrived in HAWAII! Grabbed our First cache of the trip, and it was Fun! Only a short walk from our hotel we found our first Gecko and Cache! Got back to the hotel and started loading the GPSs. Shortly thereafter, we were asleep!

1/24: Today was our SE Loop on Oahu! This included driving over 67 miles thru some absolutely amazing landscape! The only down side to today was that our routing GPS was doing Shorter Route instead of Fastest Route. This got us OFF the interstate at the wrong area and Completely frustrted and turned around. Due to this, we did NOT get Diamond Head done. Ohh well, Gotta leave only 1 Single Virtual cache to do next time! 18 caches total today was not a bad day either. Highlights of today were the Pali Hwy, and finnally getting OUT of the Tourist trap that i've been restricted to the last couple times to Hawaii. Would have liked to see Hanuma Bay as well, but of course on Tuesdays its Closed. Maybe next time.

We also had our Geo-Event today as well. Thanks to everyone that showed up. Its Great to meet the Locals when we're anywhere!

1/25: Today was our NE Loop on Oahu! Happy Birthday to my Lovely Wife(Lizard_sme)!! We started by repeating the Start of our loop yesterday, due to missing 1 single Letterbox(Pali Lookout)! Of course, we were going that direction anyways, so it was a worth while "Climb". I would have ALmost put the Climbing attribute on That LB. We Also had our FIRST DNF of our trip. It was GC13WBE on Goat Island. This was only mildly frustrating due to the fact we had to SWIM across the rip currents coming from Both directions during HIGH Tide(I think it was +2). It took awhile to get out there and back.

From there, it was up to the North Shore to do some Geo-cleanup of an archived cache, place our one cache to stay in Hawaii, a Challenge Cache, and finished up the day by missing the Dole Plantation by quite litterally 5 Minutes. Got back to the hotel, and CRASHED onto the bed. 10 caches found and 2 DNFs

1/26: Today, we came out to the Furthest West spot for our trip! Our NW "Loop" included filling the car up at Schofield Barracks, The Dole Plant was interesting. Somehow, I don't remember paying THAT MUCH for the Pinapples last time. Either way, we opted to not get any. Only 7 caches found today, but they were all fun. That included the NW Point cache(GCJ45Y). It was "Fun" to walk the last few Miles in to it due to having a car instead of a jeep for today. Live and learn. There's another cache down that road that we're going to come back for next time we're here, so JEEP for Oahu next time! Somehow getting back to the hotel each night is feeling SO much more comfterable each day, and NOT wanting to get out of bed the next morning.

1/27: EARLY! I Love seeing a NEW ISLAND! Being to Hawaii 2 times before, and never getting out of the tourist trap on Oahu made the 22 minute flight WORTH IT at o'Dark 30. We landed at 1045, and had the car only 5 minutes later. After booking Snuba for my lovely wife on this island, I re-worked our plans to today being the North loop of Maui! We did the Entire loop Counter-clockwise. I'd recommend doing it that way, cause the road on the West side is a bit more strait than the East road. After 8 caches, we went up to Hosmer Grove and slept like a rock!

1/28: Beings we were at Hosmer grove(N20 46.071 W156 14.230), and the TOP of Haleakala was only a few miles away, we HAD to get up Early(0530) and see Sunrise at the Summit! OMG! If you have Never seen a sunrise above the clouds... above 10,000ft... When here, you HAVE to do it at least once. Your body won't want to get out of bed, but Trust us, Its Worth IT!

From the TOP, we went back to the ranger station and picked up our Backcountry permits. Read on to see why. from there, we drove the ENTIRE Length of the Hana Highway. Don't let the Highway word confuse you mainlanders. It has 620 Curves and only 59 Bridges in just over 52 miles! If that scares you, you WILL spend 4 HOURS to get from one end to the other. We only stoped for 3 caches, and it still took us 3 Hours! Luckly, on this trip we had Specific caches in mind for specific goals. It makes this "Less Hectic" for us. Once done with the Hana Hwy, we went back into town for fuel(Filling the tank for only $0.37) for our stove. we Promptly forgot to fill the tank for the car. Ohh well.

Our backcountry permit had us staying at the Holua Campground IN the crater at an elevation of 7000ft. The Trailhead was at 8000 ft and the trail was just under 4 Miles one way. It dosen't look that hard with the switchbacks(30 each way), but the trail is only slightly improved. We got thru the switchbacks and the gate and about 10 minutes later, we were in complete darkness using flashlights for the last Mile of trail. Found the campground(N20 44.389 W156 13.099) above the cabin and pitched the tent. I would estimate my pack weight to be right at 50 pounds, forgetting only ONE thing... Matches or a Lighter! Luckly we ate already...

1/29: Woke up this morning on our "Slow Day" on Maui! Only had 3 caches planned and it was noon when we reached the parking lot. By this point, the Solar Pannel we got had completely charged the spare sets of batteries(One set stays on charger at all times...) Ran to the Summit(again) did the Earthcache, and then Virtual and Munzee on the way down from the Summit and then into town to fill the tank in the car. Once the tank was full, it was simply back to Hosmer Grove grabbing the one OLD cache thats up the road toward the park (GC76E). That was a FUN cache. Didn't add any Hubs to it though. Slept in Hosmer Grove again and had a lighter this time to start the stove for hot dinner!

1/30: Today we woke up, and I realized that I hadn't been checking one of our goals progress "Attributes in Hawaii"! After a few minutes, I revised our route for today to add a few more caches. With a Total of 2 caches before planned, I raised it to 6 caches for various attributes. This becomes more aparent as the days go on from here. The Highlight of today was really spending 5 HOURS on one cache! See our log for GC1QAVZ and its Pictures! I wish all the pictures underwater came out good, but get what you can take! After our Adventure of SNUBA, we drove up to Papakea Resort and slept there. That was a GOOD Idea, cause they LOST our reservation. After a short wait, our room was Supersized and upgraded to Oceanside condo WITH a Washer and Dryer! This made it Alot nicer to pack things up for our flight in the morning.

1/31: Another Early morning Flight. Flew from Maui(OGG) to Hilo(ITO) and picked up our rental 2012 JEEP LIBERTY! AWESOME! I Love JEEPs! We started out the Big Island with a rather challenging Webcam cache. It wasn't challenging because of the location, but because of the Links to get TO the actual webcam your supposed to use. From there, we went toward Mauna Kea for a Group of caches. Started out by grabbing the one at the start of the Summit road(GC325E), and then a Short stop at the Visitors center to "Acclimate" i.e. call parents and tell them to pull up the webcam page for GC3D6D. Once they got the right cam loaded, we headed out and Up..up..up..and away! Once at the top, a quick call to them confirmed they were ready to take the picture, and another two pictures later, we were en-route to the Highest possible cache in Hawaii(GC2Y6MA) on the Summit of Mauna Kea at the Benchmark. Looked for the Peakbagger tube as well, but its not there. Being literally Feet under 14k, our trip to the top was a short lived one that was Completely worth it! Oh, I forgot to mention that I was wearing my Vibram 5Fingers at the TOP in the SNOW! YEAH, but Cold...

On the way down, we grabbed another 4wd cache(GC2VB13) and then finished our valley tour into Kona. upon arrival to Kona, we grabbed one last cache for a total of 7 for the day.

2/1: Its Amazing how many miles you can drive in a day. Especially After we went Para sailing with UFO Para sail!That was FUN! We started driving at about 10a and found a total of 16 caches. Over 185 Miles traveled as well. This was All Driving miles, and the only other days that were Above this were days we were Flying. We did the North Loop from Kona to Hilo in the day, then after dark drove down to Mackenzie State Park. We also did 2 "Stabs" North from the main Hawaii Loop Hwy for GC190BC and GC5B98. Of course, we added the GC3A6F7 as a "On the Fly" cache for the day. It was cool. We drove strait past GC1E2W6 just to see where the road went, and COQUIS OMG!! Yeah!! If we lived here all the time, I'd HAVE to be in Politics JUST to correct this atrocity on this species that's practically an Endangered Species! Listening and looking at/for them was one of our BEST experiences in All of Hawaii! Though this day wore us out, it was worth it! Quite a few more Attributes were crossed off the list of Attributes to find today as well.

2/2: We started our day at Mackenzie State park, so HAD to do the Hot Tub cache(GC1PR24). We could have swam in the pools for a bit, but then we may have never left for the day. After there, we did the Lighthouse cache(GC2WNAD). That was Fun, esp since the coords that we had were the OLD ones, and nobody mentioned the new ones in the last 5 logs. Thanks for the Update GSAK! We then traveled a few miles down the road to Volcanos National Park and got All the Earth and Virtual Caches with the exception of GC1A5E4. That was Fun, except the lava wasn't flowing when there. The last flow was on Dec 23rd. Exactly 1 Month before we got to the islands.

After Volcanos, we went to South Point, was Tempted to JUMP from the cliffs, but didn't. Grabbed the cache and then went off to Manuka State Park for the night.

2/3: When you look at the map, Manuka State Park is situated about 4 miles from the West coast of the island. There was a cache down there that we decided to go after(GCX38J). Failing to read the description before hand proved to be a Blessing in disguise. Of course, when she read thru it the first time, she went 6.1 Miles of THIS?!? then the facemask and snorkel Required... GREAT!?! We were already 1 mile in! We stopped and I read it for good measure. Luckily, its not Really Required for the cache. Got Down and Back. 45 Minutes each way,l and a 15 minute walk due to my not wearing the right kind of shoes. From there, we went to GC2PJ9A. Make sure to Read the Description well, and Start at the Parking Coords. I will upload a Picture at request of the Trailhead your supposed to use. Parking is good there as well. From there, we went on up to Kona to get a few caches along the way.

Upon arriving in Kona, we ran into Wal-mart for our lunch for the event tomorrow(2/4/12). WAL-MART does NOT have DRY ICE! After asking around, they refereed us to the Arctic Ice house a few long blocks away. Got there, and No Dry Ice! asked the older gentleman there in charge where else would have it , and he recommended Gaspro by the Costco and Subway. a short bit later, after about 10 miles Total of driving, we spot the Costco... with NO Subway in sight... Drive around in the "New Kona Industrial District" for a bit, and finally found the Subway... not remembering the name of the place to actually go, we asked the people next to Gaspro if they knew of a dry ice supplier and they said one door over. They were CLOSED, but in Awesome Hawaiian spirit, the guy inside came out and I asked to buy a small amount of dry ice. not more than the size of a pop can. He opened the container and GAVE us a block that was ALMOST too Big. Needless to say, That kept our lunches COLD and even created frost on the cooler by the morning.

2/4: This was one of the BEST days of the trip. Of course, we were running ragged by this point, but Its Our Anniversary! Happy 7 Yrs Wifey(Lizard_sme)! We started out the day by a relaxing drive down to South Point to attempt the Green Sand Beach Cache(GC4E6E) We got appx 1/2 mile past the fist gate and gave up so that we wouldn't miss our OWN Event at the Kamilo Beach CITO Cleanup! We just happened to stop and ask one of the locals if we were on the right road for Green Sand, and Kamilo eventually... We WEre, but there's a Rainbow Gathering going on at Kamilo Beach right now, so you won't want to clean there up. Great?!? I guess we'll go to Green Sand and just clean the beach from there to South Point.

Did the CITO Event, and WOW! That's some TONS of TRASH! And just to think, we ONLY picked up the Rope and Nets that washed ashore. If we had picked up the Plastics as well, we would have needed another 2-3 Trucks for Just the bigger plastic.

From the CITO, we went to Hilo to "Stage ourselves" for our Late Outbound flight tomorrow. Of course, there was 1 single Virtual that we had skipped a few days ago that we hiked into. That was Fun!

2/5: Today we woke up in Hilo and did a quick search for caches that we had not gotten one of a few attributes still missing. This meant that we'd be driving some of the area that we'd already driven, but they were all for specific caches. 11 to be exact. Had 1 DNF though. Of course I forgot to figure out exactly what attribute that one was for and replace it. I think our favorite cache of the day was the multi int he Lava Tube(GC38385). Of course, it wasn't the last one, but in our last one we dropped quite a booty of coin and bugs(GC302zv)! From there, we headed off to the airport and waited for our flight. Its sad when your driving toward the airport, and just want another couple weeks!

Thanks for Everyone that we met, either at events or randomly throughout the state. If I remember, we met other cachers Almost Every Day throughout our trip! Its Nice to exchange stories and ideas with other cachers when we see them.

The Steaks

We did set up an event on March 21st at Nico's Pier 38. It is a Wednesday. Hopefully it will be convenient for many of you. We've got some trackables on order and will assemble a small cache or 2 depending upon luggage space. Let us know if Nico's changes dinner hours please.

PS It's barely above freezing here a bit north of Chicago

Thanks for the wonderful update Steaks. It was great meeting you in Oahu event. Did you get all the attributes? Did you find the Pali letterbox?

Letterbox - YES Twas a Fun one to grab on the 25th

Attributes - We-re at 51 JUST in Hawaii. I Completely FORGOT to check the ones that were only on Oahu before leaving. That meant that we would have gotten another 4. BUT we are now only 3 Attributes away from having ALL that are available within 1000 Miles of our home. Just need the +10K, Snowshoes, and X-C Skis. Next week those Should be done!

The trip was TONS of fun as everyone can see.

The Steaks

P.S. Hatlat - Incoming. Pull up a chair...

Introducing - The Steaks Challenge - Attribute This(Hawaii) (GC39E97)

While on Oahu, we Placed a cache, and its Published. I just thought to mention it here so that people wanting to grab a Challenge Cache while in Hawaii can get this one. We were only a handful of attributes short from completing this one while on our 2 week vacation to Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island. The next time we're there(MAYBE Next year...) we'll be completing it for the Oahu AND Statewide portions. The Global portion will be done for us in the next week or two *knock on wood*.

The Oahu portion alone can be done in as little as 3-4 Days... We were only on island for 4 and got close...

The Steaks

P.S. IF you want to set one up in your state, just contact me.. I'm More than glad to assist you!

Did you post the pics you took at the event somewhere?

I posted the Group Photo on the cache page. The underwater photos that I took in the fountain didn't come out... GoPro didn't mention that though waterproof the pics will be blurry... so I didn't post those...

The Steaks

As an Update:

GoPro NOW has a Dive Housing that we'll be getting sometime soon.

ALSO, for PQ Generation, the Current Dates to Maximize your PQs are:

01/01/97 - 03/29/11 for your First one - Giving you 999 Total Caches!

03/30/11 - 12/31/13 for your Second one - Giving you 639 Caches(Number goes UP as caches are placed...)

Any bets when Hawaii will cross the 2000 Threshold??

The Steaks

I've been mulling over addressing a specific subject that kind of has my "knickers in a twist" the last couple of days over a disclaimer appearing on a specific CO's new caches.

The disclaimer reads (sorry, its long):

The Disclaimer:

Stealth! Stealth! Stealth!

Just because a GeoCache has been placed here, that does not give a Cacher the right to disrupt the regular flow of events that take place at this location!

Be Stealthy!

Have some class and courtesy for the people who utilize this area for other reasons than caching!

Be Stealthy!

Use your James Bond skills and...

Be Stealthy!

This is NOT Aiea Loop Trail! You will be IN THE CITY! There are many people here!

Be Stealthy!

There are people watching you! Because you are IN THE CITY! BE AWARE OF THEM!

Be Stealthy!

Don't screw it up for the next Cacher because you allowed the cache to be discovered by non-cachers!

Be Stealthy!

Some Cachers want the FTF more than life itself, but DON'T BE SELFISH and compromise the cache for EVERYONE, FOREVER to get YOUR FTF!

Be Stealthy!

Be Stealthy!

Be Stealthy!

If you have a problem with the Cache and/or its placement, please message me PERSONALLY so I may take care of it. DO NOT use the cache log as a forum about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem. Remember, being a Geocacher DOES NOT give you the right to invade other people's space and ignore their ways of life; get to know the environment before you begin! DO NOT be a Cache Jerk and complain about and/or insult this cache or my other caches on someone else's cache log! That just demonstrates you have absolutely no class at all and you are bringing down the level of the entire caching community! As stated before, if there are problems, have some class, message me PERSONALLY and keep the log positive!

If you have a problem with the suggestions I have mentioned above, then I suggest you refrain from going after this cache. IT IS HARD! (That's why I rated it a 3!) Not because you have to climb a mountain, put on scuba gear or do anything Indiana Jones would need to do; it's hard because people are watching you! And...not everyone agrees with GeoCaching and it's ethic; and others may simply not want a stranger (you) roaming around in their neighborhood searching psychotically for "something"! What ever the reason, respect, respect, respect and...

Be Stealthy!

Lastly, NO, I did NOT call the Mayor, the Director of the City Planning Office, the Director of Parks and Recreation, the Director of the State Parks Service or the PUC to get a permit to place this cache on public (City or State) property (i.e. hiking trail, botanical garden, nature preserve, beach, telephone pole, guard rail, under a telephone booth, on a sign, under a bench, on a tree, in a bush, etc.). So if a Police Officer, Park Ranger or City Official comes up to you (because you forgot to use Respect and/or Stealth) and asks you what you are doing (searching in the bushes, pulling caps off metal post, pulling weeds out from the ground and then digging the ground after, feeling-up telephone poles, passionately examining rocks, staring really-really hard at a wall for 45-minutes with your 5000 lumen flashlight while pulling out every rock and putting you finger into every hole in said wall, digging out 10 year old cigarette butts to examine them intently all the while reading something psychotically on your phone, texting and calling random people, screaming out "I CAN'T FIND IT! HELP ME!"...basically acting like someone on CRACK), after explaining to the Officer that you are not, in fact, on drugs, the Officer tells you that no permission was given and you have to take the cache down. Just remove the cache and message me PERSONALLY so I may retrieve my stuff from you and archive the cache. And again...Don't whine about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem in the cache log!

I believe, if this cache is discovered using Respect and Stealth, you shouldn't have a problem with it!

[unquote]

The (short) background for those that do not know, is that this CO has been placing a plethora of nanos and has incurred indirect negative feedback from other local cachers.

My issues with this disclaimer:

- I am amazed that the reviewer let this go through. To me it reads with a negative vibe from start to finish and is not what I would expect from any geocacher.

- I feel like I'm being talked down to, as if I have no clue on how to cache. (Yes I am going to go there and it is NOT about a pecking order) This comes from a CO with less than 200 finds who is berating a caching community who (for the most part) has more experience and caches under their belt than the CO. Experience does matter in finding AND hiding a cache.

- First sentence from the disclaimer (excluding "be stealthy" lines): "Just because a Geocache has been placed here, that does not give a Cacher the right to disrupt the regular flow of events that take place at this location!" Shouldn't the cache hider be thinking the same thing when they hide the cache?

- Quote "If you have a problem with the Cache and/or its placement, please message me PERSONALLY so I may take care of it. DO NOT use the cache log as a forum about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem." Cachers are going to write about their experiences with any cache. Subtle clues in write ups are words like "the coords seemed soft", "it took me a while" and "I had to read the logs to figure it out..." that usually indicate there may be a problem. If there are blatant comments, then the caching community is probably trying to say something. Its feedback whether a CO likes it or not.

- To follow on the previous point (one example), if you hide a cache directly below a business's 9 foot by 9 foot window with people a mere foot away, cachers are going to get busted by muggles.

- Quote "being a Geocacher DOES NOT give you the right to invade other people's space and ignore their ways of life; get to know the environment before you begin!" Shouldn't the cache hider be thinking the same thing when they place the cache?

- Quote "DO NOT be a Cache Jerk and complain about and/or insult this cache or my other caches on someone else's cache log!" Several of the recent caches that I have placed have those comments in the logs...that was the point. I was hoping to inspire the younger cachers while giving the older cachers a fun experience as well. I guess that point was missed in some but picked up by others. And it is not a "holier than thou" position, it is souly an attempt to make our geocaching community better.

- Quote "others may simply not want a stranger (you) roaming around in their neighborhood searching psychotically for "something"! What ever the reason, respect, respect, respect and..." Again, shouldn't the CO be thinking the same when they place a cache?

- Quote "Don't whine about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem in the cache log!" Nanos in a dense urban environment vs. a regular cache hidden up on a trail in the mountains. Which cache has more exposure to cachers AND muggles AND which one is going to be hunted more? Simple percentages say that these types of urban caches are going to get muggled more.

Sorry Dude, If you're comfortable enough to publish such a disclaimer then you should be comfortable enough to take feedback. I don't think I've even met you so I'm definitely not attacking you as a person, but I have issues with your comments and do not think it healthy for our caching community to let them slide by without comment.

Edited by Marcas_Found

I've been mulling over addressing a specific subject that kind of has my "knickers in a twist" the last couple of days over a disclaimer appearing on a specific CO's new caches.

Sorry Dude, If you're comfortable enough to publish such a disclaimer then you should be comfortable enough to take feedback. I don't think I've even met you so I'm definitely not attacking you as a person, but I have issues with your comments and do not think it healthy for our caching community to let them slide by without comment.

Not knowing the GC Code of the cache doesn't allow me to do whats right in this circumstance which is a Needs MX/ Archived... Of course, some areas a cache could get away with this, But... There's an Attribute to Summarize ALL of the stealth Ranting. Its called Stealth Required. If you want to put a "PLEASE USE STEALTH when attempting this cache", then do, but a rant like this is more meant for the cache owner to bring to the Off Topic Forums...

The Steaks

The (short) background for those that do not know, is that this CO has been placing a plethora of nanos and has incurred indirect negative feedback from other local cachers.

My issues with this disclaimer:

- I am amazed that the reviewer let this go through. To me it reads with a negative vibe from start to finish and is not what I would expect from any geocacher.

- I feel like I'm being talked down to, as if I have no clue on how to cache. (Yes I am going to go there and it is NOT about a pecking order) This comes from a CO with less than 200 finds who is berating a caching community who (for the most part) has more experience and caches under their belt than the CO. Experience does matter in finding AND hiding a cache.

- First sentence from the disclaimer (excluding "be stealthy" lines): "Just because a Geocache has been placed here, that does not give a Cacher the right to disrupt the regular flow of events that take place at this location!" Shouldn't the cache hider be thinking the same thing when they hide the cache?

- Quote "If you have a problem with the Cache and/or its placement, please message me PERSONALLY so I may take care of it. DO NOT use the cache log as a forum about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem." Cachers are going to write about their experiences with any cache. Subtle clues in write ups are words like "the coords seemed soft", "it took me a while" and "I had to read the logs to figure it out..." that usually indicate there may be a problem. If there are blatant comments, then the caching community is probably trying to say something. Its feedback whether a CO likes it or not.

- To follow on the previous point (one example), if you hide a cache directly below a business's 9 foot by 9 foot window with people a mere foot away, cachers are going to get busted by muggles.

- Quote "being a Geocacher DOES NOT give you the right to invade other people's space and ignore their ways of life; get to know the environment before you begin!" Shouldn't the cache hider be thinking the same thing when they place the cache?

- Quote "DO NOT be a Cache Jerk and complain about and/or insult this cache or my other caches on someone else's cache log!" Several of the recent caches that I have placed have those comments in the logs...that was the point. I was hoping to inspire the younger cachers while giving the older cachers a fun experience as well. I guess that point was missed in some but picked up by others. And it is not a "holier than thou" position, it is souly an attempt to make our geocaching community better.

- Quote "others may simply not want a stranger (you) roaming around in their neighborhood searching psychotically for "something"! What ever the reason, respect, respect, respect and..." Again, shouldn't the CO be thinking the same when they place a cache?

- Quote "Don't whine about how you got caught and how my placement was the problem in the cache log!" Nanos in a dense urban environment vs. a regular cache hidden up on a trail in the mountains. Which cache has more exposure to cachers AND muggles AND which one is going to be hunted more? Simple percentages say that these types of urban caches are going to get muggled more.

Well said Marcas_Found! Seems he came to his senses and removed the disclaimer from his caches :).

Well said Marcas_Found! Seems he came to his senses and removed the disclaimer from his caches :).

Diddo... Thats a good thing.

Somehow this thread has apparently gone Quiet. My Sister got a job up in Ancorage, AK! Thats the Good?!? news. The bad is that I don't know if we'll be getting back this next year. 2014 is already a trip back home to see friends and family. 2013 WAS going to be back to Hawaii, but now with my sis getting a job up in AK, we may go there. Luckliy we have a few months to decide. Either way, We're already saving money.

The Steaks

P.S. Thoughts?

Aloha geohana,

I was wanting to know if anyone is available to meet up sometime this week. I came in for work this week, will be here till Saturday. Would like to meet some cachers, grab a cache or two, and possibly release a travel bug that has a hawaiian theme to it. Please email me directly, safe caching...

Tank

How do I find out about local geocaching events? I Live on Windward Oahu. Otto Ohana

There don't seem to be any events in listed. If you are a Premium member you can sort caches by their "Placed" date. Future events normally list on top so you can find them easily. I have a friend in Nederland and when search new caches there there are always many many events planned all the way up past October. Here on Oahu not so much -- nothing is listed at all.

Maybe what Oahu needs is a caching club that is active with annual events. I don't know of any such clubs that are totally active.

How do I find out about local geocaching events? I Live on Windward Oahu. Otto Ohana

I have set up my instant notifications to include (along with caches) newly published events. However, here's the way I usually check what's new :grin: . On the right hand side of the screen of your "Your Profile" page there is a a section called "Search Options". In that section there are bullet points, click on the "Hawaii" link in the first bullet point "List newest in Hawaii". On the page that opens, the upcoming events should be listed at the very top.

This is all working under the assumption that you have set up your home location of course :anibad: .

Looking forward to the new year,

What cache Ideas can we look forward to on the islands? What caching goals do you have for Your caching area?

On Another thought, Who is going to get the Hawaii DeLorme Challenge published. We're 54% done and wanting to find it the next time we're in the area.

The Steaks

Seeings as this forum has gone Silent for WAY too long, I thought to update everyone. MAY be able to come back in 2014. Depends on how long I'm laid off from work.

2nd Subject: NEW DATES FOR PQs to get ALL caches in Hawaii. 1/1/2000 to 6/21/2011 gives you 999 caches (N21 W 157 GZ). 6/22/2011 to 12/31/2013 gives you the last 880 caches.

Really wanting to get back...

The Steaks