Aloha Thread ( Hawaiian Islands )

rav_bunneh

Aloha,

I wanted to ask the ohana about a geocoin design I am working on. I spent three years there with the military, got married, and started geocaching all in the islands. Here is my idea, please let me know what you all think. Texas is a far hotter cry from steak plates and blessings, but its home for now. Me Ke Aloha...

Hawaii13%252520copy.jpg

Here is my design. I am sorry for the copyright text, but it is a necessary evil.

To explain, shaped gecko with all eight hawaiian islands, two hawaiian petroglyphs, and a hibiscus flower. All areas in white will be color, all areas in black will be metal. It is up for final revision. So let me know you thoughts...

We have settled on a 2" coin, for $10. These will be individually numbered, trackable, and will be the first in a planned series.

Tank

AWESOME!!! We're planning a trip, and would LOVE to get one of these coins from you guys. Trip is Jan of next year! Strangely, I was thinking of something like that for our swag item of the trip.

The Steaks

RE: Nanahoa's Desire (GC14DA)

Ok.. I will have a 1h 10m Layover on our flight from Oahu to Maui :) . Will that be enough time to get from the airport to this cache and back? Are there Taxi's on the island, or would there be a great geocacher that would be willing to give us a quick ride to this cache. Trip is end of January of 2012.

The Steaks

Nope. I know it shows the cache only 50 to 60 miles away from the Honolulu Airport, but it is on the closest neighboring island to O'ahu - Moloka'i. Besides the 1hr layover might not be enough time to get back through security and on the plane at HNL.

If you really want to head to the cache from Maui there is a ferry service between the islands.

Moloka'i Ferry

(edited to add ferry info)

Edited by GeoGerms

Since I'm an Ex-Military Brat and now in service, one of my favorite things to do pertaining to geocaching is right before the next inevitable move I start gathering up trackables so I can drop them off at my new location. Typically I realize this a week before I leave, and barely have time to grab any, haha. But this December I'll be in Texas, so I'm starting my rounds early.

Don't fret, I ask the owners if they mind me holding on to them to move them, or if they even want them to leave Hawaii. As of right now I have on yay and one nay, the yay I'll be dropping off when I next go hunting.

So if anyone wants me to move any bugs to Texas, I'll be on island till mid-december, just drop me a line, and happy geocaching :)

P.S. I'm on Oahu :)

when would be a good time to do the notches at pali cache? we attempted today but only got part way up due to it being so muddy and windy.. do we just need to suck it up and go again and not worry about the mud and wind? we did the letterbox cache on the other side and the kids were really freaked out over the wind lol...

It's hit and miss with the notches. It is almost always wet and windy there. Best bet would be to hit it sometime in the summer.

when would be a good time to do the notches at pali cache? we attempted today but only got part way up due to it being so muddy and windy.. do we just need to suck it up and go again and not worry about the mud and wind? we did the letterbox cache on the other side and the kids were really freaked out over the wind lol...

It's hit and miss with the notches. It is almost always wet and windy there. Best bet would be to hit it sometime in the summer.

Thank you :) I think next time we will just go when we don't have the kids with us...... were hitting Aiea loop tomorrow morning following your wife's cache page advice :)

Ok.. I will have a 1h 10m Layover on our flight from Oahu to Maui :) . Will that be enough time to get from the airport to this cache and back? Are there Taxi's on the island, or would there be a great geocacher that would be willing to give us a quick ride to this cache. Trip is end of January of 2012.

The Steaks

Nope. I know it shows the cache only 50 to 60 miles away from the Honolulu Airport, but it is on the closest neighboring island to O'ahu - Moloka'i. Besides the 1hr layover might not be enough time to get back through security and on the plane at HNL.

If you really want to head to the cache from Maui there is a ferry service between the islands.

Moloka'i Ferry

What I meant in the original post is that I will be on a 1h10m layover on the island of Moloka'i. It will only be a couple miles from the airport, and I would LOVE to be able to grab this island as well. Is there anyone thats on that island that may be able to assist?

The Steaks

The Steaks

Moloka'i Ferry

What I meant in the original post is that I will be on a 1h10m layover on the island of Moloka'i. It will only be a couple miles from the airport, and I would LOVE to be able to grab this island as well. Is there anyone thats on that island that may be able to assist?

The Steaks

Ahhh... That makes sense now :anibad: . Not too many active cachers out there on Moloka'i, but the one that comes to mind is bikerted. You can try contacting him. However there is also a car rental place right at the airport. You might be able to just walk on over and pick a car up for a few $$ and easily drive on up to grab GC2BRZM, GC206BW, and GC14DA.

We're going to HAVE to get a set of them coins when we get there(Or Sooner)... I will contact a few people after my vacation is confirmed with our union(Its 98% approved...). At that time, I will also be looking for places to hold a Meet & Greet type event on Oahu, Maybe something on Maui, and a CITO on Big. We would Also like to have someone place and publish a couple of caches thruout the time we are there, so we can at least try for the FTFs. Ohh and while I'm making requests, a Winning Lottery ticket would Also be Great!!!!

The Steaks

Quick Question. I'm trying NOT to overplan our trip, but of course, I started looking at Lana'i today. It has only 5 caches on the island, All Regulars. Is the $120 and walking to them worth the day trip ti the island. Would arrive Near GCZWVF.

The Steaks

Lana`i is a great place to visit and unwind, as the pace of life is really slow. You can walk from one side of town (Lana`i City) to the other. As for the caches, you could find Shark Cove Overlook after you come over on the ferry. I believe you can catch a shuttle up to Lana'i City. There, you could walk to Munro Trail and Koloiki Lookout, but in my opinion, it'd probably take all day. You'd definitely need to rent a Jeep to get to Kaunolu Village and Garden of the Gods. If you're going to be there just for the day, it's doable but you'd probably have to take the first ferry to Lana`i and take the last ferry back to Maui if you want to find all of the caches. If you do rent a Jeep, it'll make getting Munro Trail and Koloiki Lookout faster, so you'll be able to enjoy a walk around Lana`i City or some time down at Manele Bay.

Quick Question. I'm trying NOT to overplan our trip, but of course, I started looking at Lana'i today. It has only 5 caches on the island, All Regulars. Is the $120 and walking to them worth the day trip ti the island. Would arrive Near GCZWVF.

The Steaks

Lana`i is a great place to visit and unwind, as the pace of life is really slow. You can walk from one side of town (Lana`i City) to the other. As for the caches, you could find Shark Cove Overlook after you come over on the ferry. I believe you can catch a shuttle up to Lana'i City. There, you could walk to Munro Trail and Koloiki Lookout, but in my opinion, it'd probably take all day. You'd definitely need to rent a Jeep to get to Kaunolu Village and Garden of the Gods. If you're going to be there just for the day, it's doable but you'd probably have to take the first ferry to Lana`i and take the last ferry back to Maui if you want to find all of the caches. If you do rent a Jeep, it'll make getting Munro Trail and Koloiki Lookout faster, so you'll be able to enjoy a walk around Lana`i City or some time down at Manele Bay.

Thanks. I think we'll wait til our next visit to get the island then. Of course, we have a "Slow Day" in Maui planned, so IF the wife wants to hit the island, we'll take the boat across...

The Steaks

Looking for nuts like me!

Hello all!

I'm on the Oahu trails just about every weekend. But there are some areas/trails that I just do not feel comfortable doing by myself. There's got to be some other cachers out there just "chompin' at the bit" to go after some of the further out caches. So if you are so inclined and looking for a hiking partner, let me know!

Marcas Found

Hello all!

I'm on the Oahu trails just about every weekend. But there are some areas/trails that I just do not feel comfortable doing by myself. There's got to be some other cachers out there just "chompin' at the bit" to go after some of the further out caches. So if you are so inclined and looking for a hiking partner, let me know!

Marcas Found

Hi Marcas Found,

I would gladly go with ya and refind the caches again :D . Which ones were you planning to get?

Coming to Hawaii

On Nov 30th, staying at new Disney Resort for 3 days and then cruising on Pride around the islands, won't have a car, but looking for quick caches I can get while there, doing the Road to Hona bus tour and a tour to Volcanoes NP. Anybody have a list of caches near the ports the ship docks at that I could grab? Also have some bugs and coins to drop, do you know best places to swap them (or not)? I know port cities, but not sure where docks for ships are, I always have issues with PQ's, so I just want to do some single downloads, but want to check the right areas of the maps without loading the every cache 1 at a time of the whole island, but don't mind 20 near each port1 at a time. Thank-you.

Edited by KMCRVGeocaching

Hello all!

Marcas Found

Hi Marcas Found,

I would gladly go with ya and refind the caches again :D . Which ones were you planning to get?

Well....just about all of them. I'm slowly picking off the ridge caches but the longer ones (7-15 miles) are the ones I just don't feel comfortable doing alone......for obvious reasons.

Coming to Hawaii

On Nov 30th, staying at new Disney Resort for 3 days and then cruising on Pride around the islands, won't have a car, but looking for quick caches I can get while there, doing the Road to Hona bus tour and a tour to Volcanoes NP. Anybody have a list of caches near the ports the ship docks at that I could grab? Also have some bugs and coins to drop, do you know best places to swap them (or not)? I know port cities, but not sure where docks for ships are, I always have issues with PQ's, so I just want to do some single downloads, but want to check the right areas of the maps without loading the every cache 1 at a time of the whole island, but don't mind 20 near each port1 at a time. Thank-you.

For PQz, simply set it up with Coordinates as N21 20.257 W157 54.810 and Start and End dates of 1/1/96-8/10/10. This will come up with just under 1000 caches in the state. Set up a second PQ with 8/11/10-12/31/12. This will give you the other 400 or so. With Many GPS units having a storage capacity of greater than 1500 caches, you would be able to store them all in there without having to worry about missing a cache.

The Steaks

Aloha

We will be on Oahu for a couple weeks in January. Are there any locals that wouldn't mind meeting up with a couple of Canadians for some caching? Or are there any events planned in January?

What are your plans? Dates for each of the islands your visiting would be cool. Once my Vacation 2012 is approved, I'll post our plans. Tentative dates are 1.23 thru 2.5 . Oahu, Maui, and Big are our islands...

The Steaks

Our plans arre confirmed now:

Jan 23 to Feb 1 on Oahu, staying out past Ko'olina

Is there a way to make a day trip to a active volcano on another island? DD really wants to see one!

I also scuba dive but have no buddy; is there a reputable shop that would have a buddy for me?

My DD wants to snuba

Is there a way to make a day trip to a active volcano on another island? DD really wants to see one!

I also scuba dive but have no buddy; is there a reputable shop that would have a buddy for me?

My DD would love to snuba any reputable shops or tours for that?

My DD wants to snuba

Snuba! That would be fun, but I've asked my wife, and she wants to snorkle first. Of course, that means she needs to get more comfterable with the water to begin with.... wol be working on that Tomorrow.

Our dates are Confirmed. 23 Jan -5 Feb.

1/23 - 1/26 Oahu

1/27 - 1/30 Maui

1/31 - 2/05 Big

We're looking to have a TON of fun, and everything is planned out. Luckly, this forum has answered all my inquires thus far.

I've done some looking at different sites, and am wondering what vehicle will I need to get to Mauna Kea Webcam Cache(GC3D6D). The Planned day for visit is 1/31. I've looked around and seen that a 4x4 is Recommended. If I showed up to the access road with a vehicle thats not 4x4, would I not be able to get to the top??

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7

Was watching H50 tonight, and started thinking about a GREAT hike... Can you hike from GC1FFGC to GC1E5ZN to GCRDEC along the peak-line?? We're expieranced hikers and would like to do both trails, but for a day would want to go up one trail, and back the other... Is there any'easy' way to get from one Trailhead to the other??

My DD would love to snuba any reputable shops or tours for that?

My DD wants to snuba

Hi Guys,

Sorry haven't been checking the forums lately. I'm not a scuba diver (not yet anyway :anibad: ) so I can only answer your first question. Flights to the Big Island are running about $80 one way so a day trip for 2 will cost you more than $320. You can fly into Hilo at 7:10am and fly out 8:56pm. The volcano is a quick drive from Hilo. If you hustle you might also be able to make it to the summit of Mauna Kea. However, during this time of year it is highly recommended that you rent a 4x4 (rain and snow).

Edited by GeoGerms

I've done some looking at different sites, and am wondering what vehicle will I need to get to Mauna Kea Webcam Cache(GC3D6D). The Planned day for visit is 1/31. I've looked around and seen that a 4x4 is Recommended. If I showed up to the access road with a vehicle thats not 4x4, would I not be able to get to the top??

The Steaks

During this time of year a 4x4 is highly recommended due to rain, snow, and ice. The road is steep, but paved all the way to the visitors center. From there it is gravel and can be a bit slippery. When we went up there didn't seem to be anyone watching the road and not letting anyone pass without 4x4. In fact we passed several people in regular rent-a-cars LOL. However, keep in mind that just being on that road (and Saddle road, the road you take to get there) voids your rental agreement.

Was watching H50 tonight, and started thinking about a GREAT hike... Can you hike from GC1FFGC to GC1E5ZN to GCRDEC along the peak-line?? We're expieranced hikers and would like to do both trails, but for a day would want to go up one trail, and back the other... Is there any'easy' way to get from one Trailhead to the other??

Yup the "loop" for those caches is possible, but during your visit (the wet, wet season) it will be a pretty demanding hike. The trail from GC1FFGC to GCRDEC, passing GC1E5ZN, is called the KST (Ko'olau Summit Trail) and will be very overgrown. That section, about 1 mile long, took us 3 hours to traverse. That being said. The best way to do it is heading in on the Manana Trail (see GC2YDVB), crossing over and coming out on the Waimano Trail. The reason being the Manana Trail is a ridgeline trail and best done while your legs are fresh and able to handle the ups and downs and the Waimano Trail is a contouring trail and easily handled with tired legs. Also there are delicious mountain apples along the Waimano Trail. One more thing bring lots of water, my wife and I had a total of 5 liters and we ran out with about 5 miles to go :sad: .

Also, Looking for a good Close place to the Aqua Waikiki Wave hotel that I can host an event. would be on the 24th of Jan. Any ideas??

I've looked at previous events and see some ideas. Of course, I don't just want to copycat event or wait til the day before to announce the REAL coordinates after looking on idland. Where Should there be an event that hasn't happened recently.

The Steaks

P.S.. CITO on Maui, and maybe another event on the Big island ideas would be great as well!

Another Question... Gcj45y. Is it better to hit it from hwy 930 or 93... Or is the road thru that area still. I can't tell from the maps and google Earth...

The Steaks

For GCJ45Y if you rent a jeep you can drive in all the way to the sanctuary (GC2T0AQ - Fire Dice) from Hwy 930. You can only drive part way from Hwy 93 and it is much narrower, not much room to pass someone going the other way. However, if you are walking in both parking areas at the End of the Hwys have break in risks :(, but Hwy 930 might be a bit safer in my opinion.

Another Question... Gcj45y. Is it better to hit it from hwy 930 or 93... Or is the road thru that area still. I can't tell from the maps and google Earth...

The Steaks

For GCJ45Y if you rent a jeep you can drive in all the way to the sanctuary (GC2T0AQ - Fire Dice) from Hwy 930. You can only drive part way from Hwy 93 and it is much narrower, not much room to pass someone going the other way. However, if you are walking in both parking areas at the End of the Hwys have break in risks :(, but Hwy 930 might be a bit safer in my opinion.

I guess we're gettin a Jeep!! Will get that reserved tomorrow!

The Steaks

Kamilo Beach CITO(GC39E96) has just been published!!

Its 2/4/12 from 1100-1400. Bring your lunch for a meet at the Beach!

I read about this beach yesterday, and it just CRIED for a CITO! Of course, It'll require 4wd to get to, but Hopefully people are willing to carpool with those that don't have the right type of vehicle.

The Steaks

So, Last night I asked if we had a Thermometer... Needless to say, she started thinking and looking for this intrepid cache!!

A Few hours later, SHE FOUND THIS FORUM! Drat!!! The surprise lasted til today! She knows about Most of it!! We'll be there on the 23rd!!! See Y'all then!!

The Steaks

Team Pixos - Center Coords of 21.45657, -158.01114 and Radius of 35 miles will gove you a PW of all the caches within the Island of Oahu.

We plan to do 57 while on island! Of course, If Smes is up for it, we'll somehow add another 15 and almost complete Both of our 81 Grids. Arriving on the 23rd, and Departing Early on the 27th That'd be an additional hike.

The Steaks

Edited by eagsc7