Geocaching Android Application

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tab and bought the Android app for geocaching. It works great when on line but I do not want to use my Tab except with Wifi. Can I do it with the Geocaching App?

I also have the BackCountry Navigation Pro on the TAB and I can load the caches while on Wifi and it will still work when I am off like but it is not as nice as the Geocaching application. Very useable though.

I thought the Geocaching app was pretty slick until I canceled my Verizon account and now it does not seem to work when I am out in the field. Have I some setting wrong or do I have to go back to the BackCountry application?

It seems silly that once I have the caches loaded on the Tab that I would have to be on line to find the caches.

Thanks guys and gals.

Royal

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tab and bought the Android app for geocaching. It works great when on line but I do not want to use my Tab except with Wifi. Can I do it with the Geocaching App?

I also have the BackCountry Navigation Pro on the TAB and I can load the caches while on Wifi and it will still work when I am off like but it is not as nice as the Geocaching application. Very useable though.

I thought the Geocaching app was pretty slick until I canceled my Verizon account and now it does not seem to work when I am out in the field. Have I some setting wrong or do I have to go back to the BackCountry application?

It seems silly that once I have the caches loaded on the Tab that I would have to be on line to find the caches.

Thanks guys and gals.

Royal

I've ran into several issue with using the official app offline as well. It seems that even without a signal it is always trying to open new data from a signal. I know one workaround was to enable "airplane mode" which disables all wireless communications except GPS. I supposed you could try that?

I haven't tried to use the official app "offline," but it seems like it would defeat the whole purpose of using that app. For offline use, there are better apps out there.

I don't really understand what you are saying I guess. I thought the purpose of the app was to help you find the cache, not to burn up a data plan. That is sorta my point in my original post. If this app will not do the job because I have to be hooked up 3G with it, what apps are there out there that are better? I don't know, maybe this one will do what I want but if someone knows how I would be happy to know.

I just don't want a data plan to use this thing. I can hook up Wifi before leaving home and download the information, I have plenty of room with a 32 gig memory card and then go out and hunt caches. I know it can be done and just wanted to know if it can be done with this program

Royal

I haven't tried to use the official app "offline," but it seems like it would defeat the whole purpose of using that app. For offline use, there are better apps out there.

I don't really understand what you are saying I guess. I thought the purpose of the app was to help you find the cache, not to burn up a data plan. That is sorta my point in my original post. If this app will not do the job because I have to be hooked up 3G with it, what apps are there out there that are better? I don't know, maybe this one will do what I want but if someone knows how I would be happy to know.

I just don't want a data plan to use this thing. I can hook up Wifi before leaving home and download the information, I have plenty of room with a 32 gig memory card and then go out and hunt caches. I know it can be done and just wanted to know if it can be done with this program

Royal

You can try geo beagle! It works great for offline caching.

I don't understand how you think you will get the information if you are not online. The Groundspeak app access' the website for all its info so it will use your data plan and without one it can't get the info it needs if you are in that mode.

However if you download PQ's to it then all the info is there and so you should be able to hunt for it. But you will only be able to use the compass since it won't download maps.

I don't think i would be carrying around such an expensive device to hunt. Dropping it can be real expensive.

If you want the best offline program get LOCUS (an android app) that allows you to donwload PQ's and download maps to it. They can be used offline.

I use LOCUS on my XOOM for those rare occassions when I travel and might be out of 3G range but do have to plan ahead to download maps.

I don't understand how you think you will get the information if you are not online. The Groundspeak app access' the website for all its info so it will use your data plan and without one it can't get the info it needs if you are in that mode.

However if you download PQ's to it then all the info is there and so you should be able to hunt for it. But you will only be able to use the compass since it won't download maps.

I don't think i would be carrying around such an expensive device to hunt. Dropping it can be real expensive.

If you want the best offline program get LOCUS (an android app) that allows you to donwload PQ's and download maps to it. They can be used offline.

I use LOCUS on my XOOM for those rare occassions when I travel and might be out of 3G range but do have to plan ahead to download maps.

I just downloaded the Free version of LOCUS for my samsung Galaxy Tab and will give it a try. Thanks much. Now I have to figure that sucker out :D

WOW Walts that Locus app is amazing!! I just bought a 7" Viewpad & was scouting for the best offline map option and,, GEEZ I wasn't ready to find such a NICE app!!

Did you get the full/Pro version? Is it identical as the free one just no ads?

I did get the pro version after using it for a month. I am not sure of all the extra features but I did it mostly because I like to support apps that I use and this one I love. I will be in a non 3g area this weekend (I am pretty sure) and after I return from caching I write my notes in Locus and upload them (just like a regular GPS, except I don't have to hook up a connection to the GPS) when I get home. I also download maps while at home on wifi for areas I will be traveling to so I have them when there is no connection and I don't keep downloading the same maps each time, Picture me sitting along the shore of the American River enjoying my evening cocktail and logging away.

WOW Walts that Locus app is amazing!! I just bought a 7" Viewpad & was scouting for the best offline map option and,, GEEZ I wasn't ready to find such a NICE app!!

Did you get the full/Pro version? Is it identical as the free one just no ads?

I did get the pro version after using it for a month. I am not sure of all the extra features but I did it mostly because I like to support apps that I use and this one I love. I will be in a non 3g area this weekend (I am pretty sure) and after I return from caching I write my notes in Locus and upload them (just like a regular GPS, except I don't have to hook up a connection to the GPS) when I get home. I also download maps while at home on wifi for areas I will be traveling to so I have them when there is no connection and I don't keep downloading the same maps each time, Picture me sitting along the shore of the American River enjoying my evening cocktail and logging away.

I bought the Pro last night and have been playing with it a bit. I can not seem to download maps in much detail for some reason. I try to zoom in on them and they go all blury. I see there are different choices you can make while downloading them and have not found one that zooms worth a dang. Do I have to make smaller choices when downloading a map?

On the download screen you pick the levels of zoom you want. They state on the screen how much each level is. I don't do the two highest because I do large areas and the files for that level can reach 2-3G each. If you stick to smaller areas you can use the higher resolution. For my area (a rectangle bounded by Sacramento to Carson City and Lodi to Nevada City) I use zooms 17-24 in street map mode and that gives me all I want. Given that phones and tablets have limited memory you have to be careful. I believe there are applications for your computer that can make maps for it and then you just load what you are going to use.

Satellite or TOPO take up more space.

I cannot purchase the Groundspeak app in my country yet, the Android Marked is not available here yet.

I use Locus in the meantime, but haven't played with it much yet.

I use Mobile Atlas Creator to make maps for my phone, using my ADSL at home and then load them onto my sd card. http://mobac.sourceforge.net/

The higher the zoom level you chosse, the more detail you get - but be warned that if you choose a large area the maps can take several hours to be compiled and downloaded.

I installed the Geocaching app the other day and now everytime I attempt to look at the details of a chache the application force closes. I have uninstalled - rebooted - reinstalled and it worked for two caches and now it is back to force closing. For a paid application I am very disappointed. I don't feel that in order to fix this I have to uninstall - reboot - reinstall the application only to have it fail on me again. I own the HTC Thunderbolt if that makes any difference, which it shouldn't.