My thoughts after a week

Greg_L

You signed up 2 years ago but have been caching for a week???

You use terminology that most forum regulars don't even use.

I call the topic nothing more than trolling.

not sure I would use the word trolling, but seems the most literate cacher I have ever heard after only a week. After my first week? I may have seen a lamp post but certainly did not know they were everywhere. CITO? The pros and cons of premium membership? Freeway off ramps? I barely knew what was cool and not cool back then, much less knew what was common practice and what was not, and certainly was not aware of what cachers with 10,000 finds feel like or even knew any of them. Yeah, I would agree that a week does not seem likely here. Sock puppet? Thats Geocaching 501.

Nor would you have addressed gc.com for charging a fee for a premium membership. It's trolling.

Trolling? Sock Puppet? My newbieness, less than 1000 caches, is showing....I learned LPC last month....learned not to ask about puzzle help on the forums....learning so much.....I know arm-chair caching....but sock puppet?

Trolling? Sock Puppet? My newbieness, less than 1000 caches, is showing....I learned LPC last month....learned not to ask about puzzle help on the forums....learning so much.....I know arm-chair caching....but sock puppet?

Trolling and sock puppets aren't geocaching-specific; in fact, the terms have been in use since before the Internet existed - they originated on USENET.

"Trolling" is posting to a discussion group for the purpose of deliberately upsetting people, starting arguments, starting flame wars, etc. - IOW, not because you want to actually discuss something, but for the "fun" of getting a rise out of genuine posters.

People who behave this way are referred to as "trolls", but "trolling" doesn't refer to the fairy tale creatures who live under bridges etc. - it's actually fishing terminology. In fishing, "trolling" is dragging bait through the water.

"Sock puppet" is when someone creates a fake identity on a forum in order to say things they don't want to say with their real account.

Editing to add: And not only does the first post does indeed smack of both, the followup posts do little to change the impression. However, it's entirely possible that the poster is exactly what he says he is, and is simply one of those people who obsessively reads up on something new in order to sound like an expert.

Edited by cimawr
I was toying with the idea of getting a premium membership after my first few exciting days of geocaching, but before I rushed into it I decided I would do more geocaching, thinking I'll do maybe 100 finds over the next month or two and see if I really need the service. I even thought maybe when I hide my first cache I'll give the first non premium member to find it a free gift membership. The more I cached the more I realized I just wanted to filter search results due to the large number of less than exciting caches out there, I don't see a use for pocket queries or a special forum distinction. For a long timeI thought wow, geocaching must be ran by some pretty cool people who genuinely care about promoting this hobby and environmentalism and they need the money to run and support the community, but the more I read the more I realize some people just realized how to turn something totally cool into their own personal cash cow.

You've been caching for a week, but you've been thinking about Groundspeak's business model for a "long time"? Interesting.

Game: a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other

That's a horrible definition of "game."

I like Wikipedia's version better:

A game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more often an expression of aesthetic or ideological elements. However, the distinction is not clear-cut, and many games are also considered to be work (such as professional players of spectator sports/games) or art (such as jigsaw puzzles or games involving an artistic layout such as Mahjong, solitaire, or some video games).

I just started geocaching just over a week ago and I wanted to share my initial impressions.

The good:

I enjoy the more challenging caches, puzzles, and multi caches. I really like it when a cache takes me to a neat place in my city that I didn't know was there before. I also enjoy hiking and seeing wild life, I've seen more deer in the past week than I have in the past five years combined.It has also revealed some really great fishing spots, I now bring a pole and bait when I head out. The game has also taught me how to use a GPS and it's many features, I would feel comfortable walking into the wilderness and finding my way out again no problem. This game is really great for kids, when I have kids they will definitely be geocachers, today's kids are just not self sufficient and most would be lost a block from home. Environmental awareness is important to me and I always try to pick up trash along the way while I'm out, I like the idea of "cache in trash out" I like the sense of kinship with people who have gone through what I have gone through to sign the log.

The Bad:

Right away, before my first cache I noticed a plethora of problems. First of all, this is not a real game, yes the site does keep track of things like how many caches you've visited, which states, and FTF's, but why would I gauge my experience I'm having by numbers? The first thing I noticed while browsing the logs of some caches I was planning to try to find was that some people could and were armchair logging, what is the point of that? Even if you do have 10,000 legitimate finds, the game can't be fun any more there is just no way. I noticed a trend of micros being hidden about 2.5 years ago. After I said "oh cool" to my first parking light lamp post hide, I quickly realize that that could get old.It's cool to think that all these years I've gone to that store and there was a geocache right there the whole time and I never knew it, but my area has been saturated! I started to pass by quite a lot of caches after I realized people were making things challenging in an annoying sort of way. I'm sorry but I won't be parking on an interstate off ramp to go looking for a geocache, something as pointless as that is not worth risking my life for, If you can't come up with something somewhat original then why bother? It does sound fun to hide a cache, but why do i see people with well over 100 hides? I know they can't possibly maintain all of these, most of the micros I find have at least a wet log if not worse. Which brings me to my next annoyance, premium membership. I really appreciate the free features of the site, It's great that I don't have to pay to find most geocaches and I can use google maps to search for geocaches in a specific area. I also appreciate that they send out officials to monitor and support events. The thing that really bugs me about premium memberships is that without one you can't use BASIC search filters, like if I want to look for something a little more challenging without having to just randomly click around until I find something. The site can't cost that much to run, if they have 5,000,000 members and lets say 1,000,000 (20%) are premium paying members that's $30,000000 a year in membership fees alone! That's not including any of their other pricey items that they also sell on the side! I"m pretty sure I wont be getting a premium membership.

Suggestions:

pemium membership should be just that PREMIUM! why can't basic users have at least some more search features? It kind of reminds me of farmville or frontierville or many other online games that now want people to pay real money to buy in game items that are fairly basic to make the game any fun at all. It wouldn't bother me so much if Groundspeak was a non profit organization.

Why aren't there user ratings for caches? ever go to a cache all excited and you get there only to be disappointed? why can't a fully user created environment have user based ratings? This would challenge people to create interesting caches instead of worthless park and grabs.

I know I'm going to get input here whether I like it or not, I have read through the forums a little and know that these are all issues many people have feelings about.

I am a capitalist pig running dog and I see nothing wrong with people making a profit. To me, the $30 a year is rather a paltry sum seeing as how much I'm enjoying the hunt. It's more like my way of saying 'Thanks for going through all the hassle to set up a way cool activity!'

I see the point about rating caches, but I would hate to upset someone who also has set up some really good caches. I've found both good and bad from the same hider, and if someone got flamed enough over a bad hide, might they get discouraged and quit? Then we would also lose the good caches.

I'm not into the political correctness thing, but I think the favorites rating will help designate the good, bad & ugly.

I enjoy the more challenging caches, puzzles, and multi caches.

Number of multi-cache finds: 0.

attempted one yesterday,GC2DDHM, when I found the first there was supposed to be a clue in it, but there didn't seem to be one all it said on the piece of paper was "don't forget to sign the log on the way out" I have found several that require you to find several other caches with co-ordinates before you find a mystery cache, sorry I have a life and other obligations, I think 30 in a week is a lot although many were in the same park which I go running in all the time. I'm working on (GC2H0BE) for tomorrow.

Edit: also on my first day out I tried to look for GC2MDNE but couldn't make sense of it and GC2H0BK but I wasn't sure how to add distance in a direction to coordinates with just the GPS so I will have to go back for them both at some point.

Um...so you didn't follow the clue and find the cache? They told you where the log was..."don't forget to sign the log on the way out".....did you look for the cache inside of a nearby log? Did you turn over stumps or sticks to look for the cache? You had a puzzle to figure out and you didn't follow the clue that was given to you....you need to go back and finish the multi....they gave you the answer....doh......

So he can't see a clue when it's in front of his eyeballs. No wonder he is having a complex.

If he can't see (recognize) a clue as a clue, then he probably doesn't have a clue..........

However, it's entirely possible that the poster is exactly what he says he is, and is simply one of those people who obsessively reads up on something new in order to sound like an expert.

Possible but unlikely. He claims to have read about 10 forum posts:

I really did pick up on all of this from just reading about 10 forum posts and from actually going out there and finding caches.

However, it's entirely possible that the poster is exactly what he says he is, and is simply one of those people who obsessively reads up on something new in order to sound like an expert.

Possible but unlikely. He claims to have read about 10 forum posts:

"Claims" would be the operative term there. :lol:

So....can someone be a trolling sockpuppet?

Yes indeedy! In fact, that's the use I've seen them most often put to. :lol:

Side note, but I used to participate in a USENET forum about dog behaviour and training... we had a literal nutcase mentally ill individual who not only wrote 5,000-word posts incoherently ranting and raving about everyone else on the forum, but went through several phases of creating multiple sockpuppets and not only posting in support of himself, but having conversations with himself.

The individual in question is arguably the world's best-known Internet kook... he even won some kind of "award" for it (and was proud of doing so :o )

The thing that really bugs me about premium memberships is that without one you can't use BASIC search filters

Without paying, you have access to exactly as many search features as you had before this site was created.

Greg_L, you neglected to comment on this part of my post. Since you say that you should be entitited to have the ability to do more complex searches without paying for it, I think this is a fair point to ask. How do you answer that?

My thoughts after a couple of months is that a lot of fun can be had for free. I haven't figured out what advantages premium gives over regular membership. I get a lot of satisfaction with my regular membership.

I have found that people find a lot of stuff to complain about in the forums. While it is entertaining to read it's not geocaching. Either you are trolling or you are one of those people that is dissatisfied with life in general.

I finally agree with Starbrand.

It was bound to randomly happen at some point.

I will also note that this troll is overtly calm in trying to convince us of innocence.

The thing that really bugs me about premium memberships is that without one you can't use BASIC search filters

Without paying, you have access to exactly as many search features as you had before this site was created.

Greg_L, you neglected to comment on this part of my post. Since you say that you should be entitited to have the ability to do more complex searches without paying for it, I think this is a fair point to ask. How do you answer that?

I think this is cheesy because the features were obviously disabled to basic members in the quest to sell more premium memberships.

Let me use a for instance, if all of a sudden GPS units would only show the direction of a waypoint but not distance unless you paid a yearly fee, you might think that was unfair.

also as a new user you would think it was cheesy of me to try to make a profit off of geocaching (such as placing a cache in my place of business or hiding a cache in a park I maintain that requires you pay an entry fee to me)

Suggestions:

It wouldn't bother me so much if Groundspeak was a non profit organization.

Yeah. I wish the phone and electric companies were non profit too. <sigh>

non-profit != free

This is true, but in a non-profit people and bills still get paid and there isn't overflow. A non-profit can be structured to grow and succeed as an organization. Usually an organization is structured this way to actually achieve some goal.

And to answer the rest of you speculating "trolls" and "sock puppets" this isn't the case. Why would I start an account 2 years ago then go out and log caches for a week and then start trolling? Many of the inflammatory remarks I have seen are generally desperate behavior written to evoke a response (trolling) just because you have been a member of a forum for a very ling time does not make it ok to do this. I suspect that you have been wrapped up in this far too long, you see it as yours and that is fine. Just don't act like because you've paid the premium membership for xx years, found quadruple digit caches, or made 18,888 forum posts that you are infallible or that those have any sort of merit whatsoever. I also think that the majority of the people that find my grievances with excessive micros or general other annoying behavior are probably the guilty parties. These are all many of the issues I have noticed already, I also think that many other people probobly don't stick around very long because of them, if Groundspeak and the geocaching community as a whole want to grow they will need to face these issues head on. Finally because Geocaching.com is the only listing service in use by people in my area, I will probably list any caches I hide both on this site and multiple others as the other sites were designed in the spirit of the thing itself (Miyamoto Musashi).

Edited by Greg_L

I think this is cheesy because the features were obviously disabled to basic members in the quest to sell more premium memberships.

How can something be disabled if it was never enabled? Basic members never had the features you want for free because your to cheap to spend the $30.

Edited by jholly
I was toying with the idea of getting a premium membership after my first few exciting days of geocaching, but before I rushed into it I decided I would do more geocaching, thinking I'll do maybe 100 finds over the next month or two and see if I really need the service. I even thought maybe when I hide my first cache I'll give the first non premium member to find it a free gift membership. The more I cached the more I realized I just wanted to filter search results due to the large number of less than exciting caches out there, I don't see a use for pocket queries or a special forum distinction. For a long timeI thought wow, geocaching must be ran by some pretty cool people who genuinely care about promoting this hobby and environmentalism and they need the money to run and support the community, but the more I read the more I realize some people just realized how to turn something totally cool into their own personal cash cow.

You've been caching for a week, but you've been thinking about Groundspeak's business model for a "long time"? Interesting.

do you post without reading first? I said I had an interest in in two years ago, I have spoken to a few people who do it and they seemed to like it very much. This has all been covered, please see above.

attempted one yesterday,GC2DDHM, when I found the first there was supposed to be a clue in it, but there didn't seem to be one all it said on the piece of paper was "don't forget to sign the log on the way out" I have found several that require you to find several other caches with co-ordinates before you find a mystery cache, sorry I have a life and other obligations, I think 30 in a week is a lot although many were in the same park which I go running in all the time. I'm working on (GC2H0BE) for tomorrow.

Edit: also on my first day out I tried to look for GC2MDNE but couldn't make sense of it and GC2H0BK but I wasn't sure how to add distance in a direction to coordinates with just the GPS so I will have to go back for them both at some point.

Um...so you didn't follow the clue and find the cache? They told you where the log was..."don't forget to sign the log on the way out".....did you look for the cache inside of a nearby log? Did you turn over stumps or sticks to look for the cache? You had a puzzle to figure out and you didn't follow the clue that was given to you....you need to go back and finish the multi....they gave you the answer....doh......

There are two paths that lead back to that particular location, it's approx .2 miles to the location from the parking area, I took the opposite path back and did keep an eye out for something out of the ordinary, but I'm not going to search all over a heavily wooded area over a lame clue.

How can something be disabled if it was never enabled? Basic members never had the features you want for free because your to cheap to spend the $30.

Again please see above, and yes this is an easy attribute to add to any site, and 99.999% of sites utilize it as a free feature try to do a google search for a telephone number by only entering the zip code then scroll through the results until you find what you were looking for, it's probably pretty annoying.

just because you have been a member of a forum for a very ling time does not make it ok to do this. I suspect that you have been wrapped up in this far too long, you see it as yours and that is fine.

I've only been here for a couple of months and I think you are either trolling or unhappy with life in general. So if you are not trolling, then you are just sad.

..... but I'm not going to search all over a heavily wooded area over a lame clue.

But THAT is geocaching! When I can get in my truck and drive 30 miles to a place I've never been before, and locate a 35 mm film container... Kinda neat! If you don't like it, well, I don't like knitting so I don't knit...

Seems like you just don't care for this sport. That's okay, I love it and it provides me with a lot of quality time in nature with my boy.

The lame clues can make us laugh when we finally find a cache and realize what the clue meant.

There are two paths that lead back to that particular location, it's approx .2 miles to the location from the parking area, I took the opposite path back and did keep an eye out for something out of the ordinary, but I'm not going to search all over a heavily wooded area over a lame clue.

You should have done. We did find a cache in such a location in the end of a piece of wood/"log." Maybe you will impress yourself when you find it. Or do you think you would be a better cache hider than finder? Some can be tricky, especially if we think we will be led straight to the cache...we just have to bring our detective skills into play.

Finally because Geocaching.com is the only listing service used in my area, I will probably list any caches I hide both on this site and multiple others as the other sites were designed in the spirit of the thing itself (Miyamoto Musashi).

If Geocaching.com is the only listing service in your area why would you go to other sites if they don't even service your area. Now it seems to me like your trolling. If you don't like the service here go to the other sites and stay there where your Spirit is.

Sorry...can't agree with you on this point...have others found the cache using the "lame" clue? If so, the clue is not what is lame. Walking .2 miles to a cache is NOTHING....A serious cacher would have looked for the cache...I believe that this is what caching is about...searching for caches....so, I apologize if I am missing something...you had a clue but you took an opposite path back and didn't want to look...should it have a neon sign flashing on it "here I am, here I am"? You said you like challenging caches or puzzle caches....you won't like the puzzle caches that are out there...They are VERY hard to solve....much harder than "sign the log"...I have spent weeks working on certain puzzles and am not even close to a solution...finding a "log" would be so much easier....I just don't get you.....you say one thing but do another...oh well, you can choose how you play or not play the game of geocaching.

It was in place long before I came along. If they want to offer things that encourage the purchase of a PM, so what? This is a business which continues to do better than the 'free' sites. You can find and log a PM cache without paying for it. gc.com knows it and hasn't taken that away.

Why would I start an account 2 years ago then go out and log caches for a week and then start trolling?

Because it's actually a common practice among sock puppet trolls.

edited for clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sorry...can't agree with you on this point...have others found the cache using the "lame" clue? If so, the clue is not what is lame. Walking .2 miles to a cache is NOTHING....A serious cacher would have looked for the cache...I believe that this is what caching is about...searching for caches....so, I apologize if I am missing something...you had a clue but you took an opposite path back and didn't want to look...should it have a neon sign flashing on it "here I am, here I am"? You said you like challenging caches or puzzle caches....you won't like the puzzle caches that are out there...They are VERY hard to solve....much harder than "sign the log"...I have spent weeks working on certain puzzles and am not even close to a solution...finding a "log" would be so much easier....I just don't get you.....you say one thing but do another...oh well, you can choose how you play or not play the game of geocaching.

I did enjoy the spot where the "clue" was located, it had a nice view of the lake and some marshland which was filled with active water foul , and no I don't expect to have a neon sign flashing right over it, the two paths both converge at the entrance and the location for the "clue" so you can take either when you head for the "clue" and when you are leaving I took the high road as it was the most direct route with the GPS, because I didn't notice anything on that route I tried the other, I didn't post a DNF either because I didn't really look for it that hard. and I have been working on one cache that requires you to find 18 micros hidden throughout town, each has a part of the coordinates for the final. There is another set of five micros, for which I only need one more, which leads you to a 5/5 cache at the end. I knew that there was an ammo box out in that particular area, but I'm not here only to sign logs and get smileys.

TO: the4dirtydogs

I edited the above post for your clarity, even though it was worded correctly, I changed the word "used" to "being used by people" why would a website not have service in a geographic area?

p.s. please learn how to quote properly, it makes it impossible to quote you when you cannot post quotes correctly.

Please check my profile, my first find was a week ago. I did create an account 2 years ago when I heard about geocaching, I wanted to see how many caches were in my area, unfortunately the person I was with at the time stated that it was a stupid idea and did not want to try it. Recently I met some people who do geocache and I decided to finally try it out. Until now I didn't own a GPS.

Well, for only caching for a week you seem to be more interested in bringing your favorite issues to the forums.

I'm pretty sure you can keep caching and try to avoid the things that offend your delicate sensibilities. That's what most of us do.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I did enjoy the spot where the "clue" was located, it had a nice view of the lake and some marshland which was filled with active water foul , and no I don't expect to have a neon sign flashing right over it, the two paths both converge at the entrance and the location for the "clue" so you can take either when you head for the "clue" and when you are leaving I took the high road as it was the most direct route with the GPS, because I didn't notice anything on that route I tried the other, I didn't post a DNF either because I didn't really look for it that hard. and I have been working on one cache that requires you to find 18 micros hidden throughout town, each has a part of the coordinates for the final. There is another set of five micros, for which I only need one more, which leads you to a 5/5 cache at the end. I knew that there was an ammo box out in that particular area, but I'm not here only to sign logs and get smileys.

-So, let me get this straight. You went to find a multi-cache, found part of it, received a clue, didn't look very hard because you are working on another cache with lots of micros, so you didn't find the multi and didn't log a DNF - yet you did NOT find it...I still don't get why you would go out there and not look? Remember, you said before you didn't look because the clue was "lame". Now you didn't look because you are working on another cache with 18 micros? I hate to tell you this, if you can't find a cache with the typical "log" clue, you will never find 18 micros. I believe that one of the most important traits for a good geocacher is fortitude. Do you have any? You aren't "here to sign logs and get smileys" Why not? Why do you want to cache?

-So, let me get this straight. You went to find a multi-cache, found part of it, received a clue, didn't look very hard because you are working on another cache with lots of micros, so you didn't find the multi and didn't log a DNF - yet you did NOT find it...I still don't get why you would go out there and not look? Remember, you said before you didn't look because the clue was "lame". Now you didn't look because you are working on another cache with 18 micros? I hate to tell you this, if you can't find a cache with the typical "log" clue, you will never find 18 micros. I believe that one of the most important traits for a good geocacher is fortitude. Do you have any? You aren't "here to sign logs and get smileys" Why not? Why do you want to cache?

The 18 micros are in no way related to or any where near the multi that I walked away from, I'm just saying that yes I walked away from what was probably an easy find, but finding the final wasn't that big of a deal for me. I walked away from it because It wasn't a direct clue, It makes you look for a log among fallen logs, I stepped over or went around 5 or 6 fallen trees on the way back there, I will most likely re-visit that spot, I might spend some time flipping over logs if I feel like it, at that time I didn't. I got what I wanted out of that cache, and maybe what the cache owner wants too, the location is great, I'm really glad I went to that spot, If I ask someone to marry me it might be on that spot it was so nice.

I edited the above post for your clarity, even though it was worded correctly, I changed the word "used" to "being used by people" why would a website not have service in a geographic area?

p.s. please learn how to quote properly, it makes it impossible to quote you when you cannot post quotes correctly.

Yep I do need to learn how to pull a little qoute out of a paragragh and you need to learn how to make sense. I see you changed it. LMAO. Caught you :wacko::laughing:

Edited by the4dirtydogs

This one always gets me.

Somehow people think that because it's community related that no one should make money off of it.

It reminds me of a time when big singing stars were making commercials and so many yelled, "They've gone COMMERCIAL!!"

What? Do you think they don't have bills to pay either? You think they don't have kids to put through college?

Why should you possibly think that someone should not make money off of this? (you don't need to answer that, it's a rhetorical question)

I wrote my somewhat serious joke above because if anyone should give services for free it should be people like electric companies and garbage service, because when people lose their jobs and can't afford those the result is pretty bad.

Those are services for the community too, and very much needed services.

In that respect, this is a luxury.

If someone can't afford a premium membership.... well hey, I know some act like they're gonna die, but they really won't.

I think it's really great that they make a regular membership available to everyone whether they can afford (or want) to pay or not. They didn't have to do that, but they did. I think it's great.

Now if we can just get the garbage companies and the electric companies to do the same....

Greg_L, you neglected to comment on this part of my post. Since you say that you should be entititled to have the ability to do more complex searches without paying for it, I think this is a fair point to ask. How do you answer that?

Are you saying that there were more search features available before Groundspeak created the geocaching website? What exactly was disabled, and how? I think you need to do a little more research into the history of geocaching before you make that sort of claim.

Finally because Geocaching.com is the only listing service used in my area, I will probably list any caches I hide both on this site and multiple others as the other sites were designed in the spirit of the thing itself (Miyamoto Musashi).

If Geocaching.com is the only listing service in your area why would you go to other sites if they don't even service your area. Now it seems to me like your trolling. If you don't like the service here go to the other sites and stay there where your Spirit is.

There, I fixed the quote for you.

Edited by Bassanio

Greg_L, you neglected to comment on this part of my post. Since you say that you should be entititled to have the ability to do more complex searches without paying for it, I think this is a fair point to ask. How do you answer that?

Are you saying that there were more search features available before Groundspeak created the geocaching website? What exactly was disabled, and how? I think you need to do a little more research into the history of geocaching before you make that sort of claim.

The feature is enabled for premium members and is therefore disabled for basic members. Weather or not it was available to basic members in the first place is irrelevant. 1010 I am confused as to why I am able to use premium features (things I would expect to pay for), things like mouse click uploads of coordinates for free and not something as basic as filters. Unless of course Garmin, DeLorme, and Magellan provided all of the development for this for Groundspeak for free then it makes perfect sense.

Yep I do need to learn how to pull a little qoute out of a paragragh and you need to learn how to make sense. I see you changed it. LMAO. Caught you :wacko::laughing:

You didn't understand the clarification post, that the first post DID make sense in the first place but you didn't understand it.