Ammo Boxes Missing..

spdrbob

Hi All , The last couple of caches I found that were suppose to be in Ammo Boxes were just plastic bags. Is that common that someone would take the ammo box and leave the cache in plastic bag ?

It just happened to one of mine. Someone took my ammo can but left the contents and logbook in the plastic bags, laying on the ground.

Actually, we have been having many of the ammo cans in our area muggled (or relocated by geocachers too cheap to buy their own). The reason I made that last comment, is that several that came up missing are not in places that are just going to be accidently found by non-geocaching participants.

Ammo cans are not as cheap as they used to be. One of the reasons they became popular is that you could not get a tougher container for the money. When I could pick 'em up locally for $3 that is what I did. But now they go for close to $10. Lock-N-Locks are still cheap and make great cache containers that aren't as tempting to those who would steal an ammo can. Whoever they are.

Hi All , The last couple of caches I found that were suppose to be in Ammo Boxes were just plastic bags. Is that common that someone would take the ammo box and leave the cache in plastic bag ?

I suspect that what you are describing is very uncommon. I believe that most people who wish to steal an ammo can would either just take it, swag and all, or simply dump the contents out and take the can.

I 1st started looking into this sport when I came across an ammo can. They ain't cheap. When I saw all the swag inside, I researched it and here I am. I was really close to just dumping the contents into the 1st trash can I saw. I never once paid attention to the little green tag on the outside of it. I'm suprised it dosen't happen more often. :unsure:

I 1st started looking into this sport when I came across an ammo can. They ain't cheap. When I saw all the swag inside, I researched it and here I am. I was really close to just dumping the contents into the 1st trash can I saw. I never once paid attention to the little green tag on the outside of it. I'm suprised it dosen't happen more often. :unsure:

If I found a geocache and had never heard of it before, the first thing I would do is open it of course, I'd see the stash note, I'd definitely be interested in finding out more. At the very least I'd put the thing back where it was. But I guess some people are just schmucks.

I found a cache once where a hunter (non-geocacher) had stumbled upon it, he signed the log and left a musket ball. I like to think that MOST people are well natured and once they realize it's part of a game they'd have the decency to at least leave it alone.

If I found a geocache and had never heard of it before, the first thing I would do is open it of course, I'd see the stash note, I'd definitely be interested in finding out more. At the very least I'd put the thing back where it was. But I guess some people are just schmucks.

I found a cache once where a hunter (non-geocacher) had stumbled upon it, he signed the log and left a musket ball. I like to think that MOST people are well natured and once they realize it's part of a game they'd have the decency to at least leave it alone.

I wish I agreed with you. But sadly, I think most people who are likely to stumble on a cache are teenagers who are likely mischievous. These folks are likely to somehow ruin the cache.

I wish I agreed with you. But sadly, I think most people who are likely to stumble on a cache are teenagers who are likely mischievous. These folks are likely to somehow ruin the cache.

I admit that my 15 year old self among my idiot 15 year old friends might handle it very differently. Hey what should we do with this? I know man, let's chuck it in the river! But as an adult, I see no reason to spoil anyone's fun just to be a jerk. I've only ever stumbled on one cache that was ruined, and it was obviously done by teenagers who happened upon it, the vast majority are left be and I've even seen logs (in the log books but not online) by non geocachers who found it and figured hey, neat, guess I'll sign the log book and put it back and go on about my day. I guess it's all in who finds it.

Now if there are SEVERAL going missing in the area, that almost has to be a cacher or at least someone with a gc account who finds them to steal the cans. Unfortunately there's absolutely no way to know who.

I suspect that what you are describing is very uncommon. I believe that most people who wish to steal an ammo can would either just take it, swag and all, or simply dump the contents out and take the can.

Look - sbell111 and I are agreeing on something.

Seems an odd thing to happen. I suspect that the plastic bag is little more than a throwdown replacement for a muggled cache.

Look - sbell111 and I are agreeing on something.

Seems an odd thing to happen. I suspect that the plastic bag is little more than a throwdown replacement for a muggled cache.

I thought that was what film canisters are for.

The only bad thing about putting out ammo cans is that people like to take them. I've always thought about this when I went to find an ammo can and ends up being some cheesy container. It could because someone took the can and left another container in it's place. At least it wasn't just a bag. :laughing: I think I'm going to try those Lock-n-Lock containers when I run out of ammo cans.

It just happened to one of mine. Someone took my ammo can but left the contents and logbook in the plastic bags, laying on the ground.

Actually, we have been having many of the ammo cans in our area muggled (or relocated by geocachers too cheap to buy their own). The reason I made that last comment, is that several that came up missing are not in places that are just going to be accidently found by non-geocaching participants.

The same has happened to my caches, ammo can gone and SWAG on the ground. :mad:

When are group did the (NO)CLUE GeoArt/ mystery game caches where almost half of the caches were suitcase sized ammo cans near Palmdale. The letters U E were missing cans and a cacher who was finding them gone put logs in baggies. But the codes were missing. Most of these were in the desert and it wouldn't take long for someone to follow tire tracks after finding one or two.