"Not FTF. More Later."

Does this happen in your area ?

Cachers post notes on newly published caches that read "FTF more later," Or "Not FTF. More later."

I've been seeing notes like these for the past few months. At first it was only a few cachers that posted them but as of late it's becoming more and more widespread.

The most recent note caused me to start this thread. It reads: "In the spirit of a recent discussion on the ( NE IL LOCAL FORUMS ), message board: Not ftf, more later!"

So here's what I don't get...Is this note posting supposed to remedy the problem of cachers who don't post their FTF logs online fast enough by letting the masses know a cache has been found so the FTF is no longer available and at the same time the person posting the note is also being polite to the FTF'er by not taking the "first Found It space," online ? ( I couldn't help that run-on sentence ).

If that's the reason for this note, then why did the same note-posting cacher finally post his Found It log ( after the FTF posted his and 3 others posted theirs ), but leave the note ?

See what I mean ? It doesn't make sense ! It does alert those who happen to catch the note in their notifications that the FTF has been had BUT if the note isn't going to be deleted after the person logs the find, then why not post your Found It log to start with ?

Also, if this practice is supposed to remedy what many cachers think is bad form....logging your FTF's late, by letting everyone know a cache has been found, it causes a whole new issue for a whole other group of people who don't catch these notes in their notifications !

What about those who then run a PQ of unfound caches ! That "Not FTF. More later," note doesn't remove that cache from my unfound caches PQ and unless I'm privy to this new note thing and I check each individual "unfound," cache page for NOTES, I might drive a long way for a FTF only to get there and find 2 sigs on the physical logsheet ! Then I'm baffled and wonder why this cache came up in my PQ of unfounds !!

Does this make sense. The whole note posting thing MAKES ZERO SENSE unless I'm totally missing something. Please enlighten me. thanks

ps: i don't even wanna get started on the "FTF. More later," notes.

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

Have you read the "recent discussion on the ( NE IL LOCAL FORUMS )"?

It would probably answer your questions better than anyone here can.

No I haven't and I don't intend to. I don't think I have to. Before I posted here and after coming across the note I quoted, I went through every possible scenario in my head that might possibly explain how this note posting thing a great idea.

I came to the Groundspeak forums seeking opinions from cachers outside my immediate area and outside the "NE IL LOCAL FORUMS," where most everybody's opinion/ideas etc... are the same.

Ok, I can't sleep so I'll bite.

Great idea, maybe not, but at least some notice. In the case of the "Not FTF", politely informing folks that FTF is gone without "claiming" the first online Found log, maybe.

Sounds more like you don't get along with your local group "where most everybody's opinion/ideas etc... are the same" & are looking for someone to agree with you just to poke a stick.

Meh, no big deal.

Ok, I can't sleep so I'll bite.

Great idea, maybe not, but at least some notice. In the case of the "Not FTF", politely informing folks that FTF is gone without "claiming" the first online Found log, maybe.

Sounds more like you don't get along with your local group "where most everybody's opinion/ideas etc... are the same" & are looking for someone to agree with you just to poke a stick.

Meh, no big deal.

So you admit it's not a great idea right and as I stated, if it's about being polite and informing the masses that the FTF is gone....that's great and nice and all BUT it doesn't cover everybody ! Again, unless you've either seen one of these "notes," by chance or you've received a notification of said note because that cache in your notification radius or on a watchlist or bookmark, you're clueless ! Again, you run a PQ for unfound caches and THAT CACHE that actually HAS BEEN FOUND, comes up on your PQ as UNFOUND because the person that posted the "polite note," did just that, they posted a note and not a found it log. So, the "note thing," provides a service to some and a diservice to others.

The only thing that makes sense, if this whole note posting thing is about late FTF loggers, is for the STF to post their find in the form of a Found It log. THEN it's polite to EVERYONE !!

Edit: Polite to everyone I suppose EXCEPT that horrible FTF'er who so rudely hasn't logged his/her FTF yet but if that person is so rude, who cares ?

I don't know why someone would post it as a Note instead of just entering it as a Find and then editing the log later when they get back to a real computer. I know I've done that on those rare occassions where I am FTF -- a quick Found It from the phone with a real log when I am home.

And, have we really "progressed" to the point where people are not only worrying about who signs the physical log first but also who logs it online first? Wow. :blink:

Well we have had threads in the past here of people upset because the online log was signed before they got to sign it. Or those who weren't first to find upset because they felt like they had to wait until someone who was FTF to sign it. And then those who are upset because how dare no one sign the online log resulting in a wasted trip to find a geocache and not be FTF. I think this is a natural result of all those little tizzies that people have had. People probably are starting to get all hyper-sensitive about it now.

Me. FTF or out of order or not I'm just putting my found it log in. Other people can log as they feel the need to.

Why get all worked up over something like this?

I don't have a smart phone so this would not help me. But a majority of the FTF crowd does have a smart phone. The cachers in the area may put the cache on their watchlist to see if a log or note is posted while they're on the way to the cache. The note is a good way to let people know that the FTF has been grabbed. Plus I have a feeling that these cachers want to write a long log for their find and that can be hard to do from the field. Now I guess they could log a 'Found it' from the field and then edit it, but then the CO gets one email with a short found it log instead of seeing the longer log thatt he finder wanted to leave.

The only reason I would be frustrated is if they did not log their find within 24 hours.

Have you read the "recent discussion on the ( NE IL LOCAL FORUMS )"?

It would probably answer your questions better than anyone here can.

No I haven't and I don't intend to. I don't think I have to. Before I posted here and after coming across the note I quoted, I went through every possible scenario in my head that might possibly explain how this note posting thing a great idea.

I came to the Groundspeak forums seeking opinions from cachers outside my immediate area and outside the "NE IL LOCAL FORUMS," where most everybody's opinion/ideas etc... are the same.

Well, in that case, unless somebody that is also on one of those forums should happen to read this and post your answer, the best you're going to get is guesses that aren't any better than your own. Nobody said that you had to have a discussion with your local cachers... just try to find the referred to discussion and read it. Its known as "getting it straight from the horses mouth".

I don't know why someone would post it as a Note instead of just entering it as a Find and then editing the log later when they get back to a real computer. I know I've done that on those rare occassions where I am FTF -- a quick Found It from the phone with a real log when I am home.

And, have we really "progressed" to the point where people are not only worrying about who signs the physical log first but also who logs it online first? Wow. :blink:

Probably to allow the FTFer to have the first found log.

Cachers post notes on newly published caches that read "FTF more later," Or "Not FTF. More later."

So here's what I don't get...Is this note posting supposed to remedy the problem of cachers who don't post their FTF logs online fast enough by letting the masses know a cache has been found so the FTF is no longer available and at the same time the person posting the note is also being polite to the FTF'er by not taking the "first Found It space," online ? ( I couldn't help that run-on sentence ).

If that's the reason for this note, then why did the same note-posting cacher finally post his Found It log ( after the FTF posted his and 3 others posted theirs ), but leave the note ?

See what I mean ? It doesn't make sense ! It does alert those who happen to catch the note in their notifications that the FTF has been had BUT if the note isn't going to be deleted after the person logs the find, then why not post your Found It log to start with ?

Also, if this practice is supposed to remedy what many cachers think is bad form....logging your FTF's late, by letting everyone know a cache has been found, it causes a whole new issue for a whole other group of people who don't catch these notes in their notifications !

What about those who then run a PQ of unfound caches ! That "Not FTF. More later," note doesn't remove that cache from my unfound caches PQ and unless I'm privy to this new note thing and I check each individual "unfound," cache page for NOTES, I might drive a long way for a FTF only to get there and find 2 sigs on the physical logsheet ! Then I'm baffled and wonder why this cache came up in my PQ of unfounds !!

Does this make sense. The whole note posting thing MAKES ZERO SENSE unless I'm totally missing something. Please enlighten me. thanks

I can't get upset over it. I think it's great that FTF's are quickly letting other cacher's know that a cache has been found. It saves a whole lot of frustration, aggravation, and possible speeding tickets for those following behind.

The whole PQ thing for unfound caches doesn't seem like a significant issue to me. I would never rely on that for newly placed caches regardless.

The only thing that makes sense, if this whole note posting thing is about late FTF loggers, is for the STF to post their find in the form of a Found It log. THEN it's polite to EVERYONE !!

Edit: Polite to everyone I suppose EXCEPT that horrible FTF'er who so rudely hasn't logged his/her FTF yet but if that person is so rude, who cares ?

Too bad this didn't get posted on Friday, you could play it off as an April Fools joke.

We don't really play the FTF game anymore, but when we did, we had only a "dumb" phone and had no capability to log from the field. As the designated logger, I always tried to log as soon as I could, but sometimes it took me (gasp) a few hours. On some occasions, like our vacation FTFs, we didn't take the laptop with us and didn't have access to a computer until we got back, so (quelle horreur) we didn't log our find for a couple days.

So folks in your are logging a note when they can to let folks know the FTF game is over. I think that's actually pretty considerate to the other FTF hounds gunning for the cache. And you think it's a bad thing? What exactly do you think you're entitled to? Because it's clear you think you're entitled to something here.

Apparently you can't be bothered to actually read the description and check for logs on the potential unfound caches out there, so I guess you want the others in your area to meet your needs rather than adapting your game to address how business apparently gets done. I woudn't hold your breath. If it's an established practice, then the easiest thing to do is to change your expectations and adapt how you play the game. (Even easier to rant on the forums, of course, but that won't change anything.)

Sorry if you were hoping to get a bunch of folks agreeing with you, but I think you're overreacting. Perhaps there is a reason you don't get along with your local caching community, and perhaps that reason does not lie with them...

Here's something that might just blow your mind. There are cachers who never log online, and there are even some who log online- but only use notes (no found it logs for them).

Death From Below, I'm looking at you. :D DFB is a great cacher here in the Four Corners, who has exactly one find on his account, he posts notes for all his finds. He's got some great caches hidden as well.

It is nice for those who are FTF hounds to find out before they get there that someone has already gotten the FTF (even if it is DFB and he posted a note).

Here's something that might just blow your mind. There are cachers who never log online, and there are even some who log online- but only use notes (no found it logs for them).

I remember someone else who used to do that. Eventual geocide. Nuff said. :ph34r:

I was once out getting a whole bunch of FTFs that had come out. I didn't post anything because I was running after the NEXT FTF, and then it got late and I got tired so I went to bed. The next day I had a TON of angry geocachers meet me at a local event and even had one yell at me saying, "You do this **** on purpose to get other people's hopes up of a FTF only to see your name there! You have a ****** smart phone, use it!!!" I also hate seeing "FTF, TFTC" on a found it log. So I remedied this by starting to post notes saying, "FTF more later" once I find the cache out in the field. I do this MORE often when it's late at night. I am attempting to help out the other FTFers in the area who are debating rolling out of bed, getting dressed, and rushing off to get FTF. I always appreciate it when I'm debating running 10 miles out of my way for an FTF and someone posts a note so I know the FTF is gone. I can then go home, go to bed, do whatever, and then post my found it log in the morning. This allows me to take the 15-30 minutes or so that I usually spend on my FTF logs (I like informing the CO how their coordinates are, their rating, sometimes I add a little song to it to celebrate, etc.) Then the CO and anyone who has it on their watchlist will SEE the log come through in their email/on their phone/whatever rather than an edit which does nothing for watchers.

There was a good example of why I use notes today. I posted my FTF - more later comment. Then someone else came along and posted that I shouldn't have been in the park after dark. I then posted my found it log indicating that there were no signs, no messages, no comments about "no caching after dark" from the CO, no attributes, and there were lights on in the picnic area of the park, so I assumed the park was open. If I had posted a found it note, then deleted it to put my REAL found it note, then the comments would all be screwed up when I deleted my log.

As far as PQs go, if you're a REAL FTFer, you're not running PQs. You're checking your notifications, etc. You're also reading the prior notes.

I think all of your complaints are silly, personally, and I've discovered that I've made a LOT more people a LOT happier with my notes than when I didn't use them.

I don't know why someone would post it as a Note instead of just entering it as a Find and then editing the log later when they get back to a real computer.

Oh, oh, <waving hand in air> teacher, I know! Call on me!

It all has to do with Owner notifications. If I post a find that just says "more later," the owner (and anyone watching the cache) gets an email that just says "more later." When I go back and edit the log with my 300 word essay on what a wonderful time I had, the owner may never see it.

If I post a note, then go back and post the find, the owner will get both of those logs in his email.

If I post a note, then go back and post the find, the owner will get both of those logs in his email.

But you can achieve the same thing by posting a short "found" first, then delete that log and post another found.

Like I said on the thread on the local forums mentioned earlier, I have a smartphone but I use it like a GPSr. I use the app called Cachesense that stores offline field notes much like an eXplorist GC. My smart phone is not the newest or the fastest, and I find trying to navigate pages that are intended to be viewed on a computer as a pain on my Blackberry Curve 8330... Often my phone will lock up when I am trying to download the GPX of that newest hide that I am going on FTF for. I find it a pain to try to log that FTF online with my smartphone especially if I am trying to drive to the next one and I am by myself (anti-texting/phone internet law while driving in IL if anyone should also wonder). Therefore I still use a field note and compose my story later. If I set the field note properly, then my FTF log will still be the first online log. One example on this cache: http://coord.info/GC2R1VD My Field note was uploaded and logged the day after my FTF because I could not get to a computer that night and log the find. My FTF log (besides Smurfy98's) is first on the list of finds and it was not logged right away. Did I do anything wrong? NO. This discussion is so trivial that some people are whining like they are in kindergarten and their toy was stolen during recess.

I'm going to go one step further and say that the inclusion of online logging for smart phones has killed the game in some regards. If you don't want to race through traffic and bushwack 3 miles in the dark while it's raining and cold just to find that you got beat out on an FTF, THEN DON'T GO AFTER FTFs! It's as simple as that. The inclusion of online logging for smart phones has made the game so insensitive and mean. It's a sad day when people vilify other people for not following unofficial rules while participating in a sidegame of a freaking game.

Edited by RebelGTP

Jumpin' Jack Cache pretty much nailed it, in more ways than one, in their 2nd post. ;)

I'd be more concerned with why people don't log their DNFs or delete logs such as these for no apparent reason:

Cacher A posted a note for Cache 1

Log Date: 3/28/2011

I've been there twice now. This one might not be there. Please verify.

Cacher B couldn't find Cache 2

Log Date: 3/25/2011

I didn't get to the GZ and there's a big reason why...this area is completely vile. I decided to turn back although I was only 15 feet away. This area is a sunken pit riddled with more garbage than 100 garbage trucks could carry away. The garbage isn't run of the mill either, I spotted several disturbing items on my trek. This is a horrid place to place a cache and I would strongly advise all cachers to avoid it. No offense to the hider..but I have to be truthful, this is a terrible area.

Cacher C reported Cache 3 needs maintenance

Log Date: 3/13/2011

Wet soggy log. Didn't have the proper materials to fix it on hand... sorry...

Cacher D reported Cache 3 needs maintenance

Log Date: 3/13/2011

Not sure why this cache was included in our recent PQ as "not found" b/c we logged it in Jun 2010. Nonetheless, the GPSr showed it as unfound and I was nearby so I found it again. The log, surprisingly, for this kind of hide is very wet and disintegrating. Should be replaced when possible. Leaving it out to dry isn't much of an option since this area is heavily traveled by muggles.

But you can achieve the same thing by posting a short "found" first, then delete that log and post another found.

Possible scenario...

I've been out caching for the day, and done lots of caches.

I keep my records in GSAK, which reads the date/log number generated by Groundspeak.

The 'Not FTF' log is the third/fourth/ninth/etc cache of the day. I don't want to upset the record by posting a 'Found' before I've logged the prrevious caches in find order, but want to raise the fact the cache has been found...

And if I log it by mobile/cell phone from the cache...

Possible scenario...

I've been out caching for the day, and done lots of caches.

I keep my records in GSAK, which reads the date/log number generated by Groundspeak.

The 'Not FTF' log is the third/fourth/ninth/etc cache of the day. I don't want to upset the record by posting a 'Found' before I've logged the prrevious caches in find order, but want to raise the fact the cache has been found...

And if I log it by mobile/cell phone from the cache...

That order thing is exactly what I talked about on the local forum. Just last week I cached all five days Mon-Fri. I had the FTF on Monday night and left early the next day for a town over 100 miles away. My girlfriend and I cached all along the way (3 hour trip took 6) and when we got to the hotel, I finally had the internet access that I needed with my laptop to start logging finds. I wasn't going to go and log the FTF right away, I logged the finds in the order at which they came... even with a few DNFs thrown in there too. The FTF-hounds need to understand that logging the FTF right away is not a valid requirement. The game is about finding the cache... If you don't get there first when you take the risk of you not being the FTF, oh well... It's part of the game! Who knows? You might get there and someone is searching and you might get it or the other person might get it...

What exactly do you think you're entitled to? Because it's clear you think you're entitled to something here.
This is the real issue, right here.

People need to remember that this is geocaching, not FTFcaching. If they want to make up their own rules, and then yell at people for not following those rules, maybe they should go start their own website and play their little games over there.

Both "FTF more later," and "Not FTF. More later." are probably logs by smartphone users who don't want to spend a bunch of time posting a lengthy log using their phones, but who want to notify others the FTF has been 'taken'.

The "Not FTF. More later." logs are posted in deference to the FTF to allow them to also be the first to log online. Not a big deal, but considered civilized behavior in certain circles.

Some us us REALLY HATE the 'this log edited...' bit that gets added when you edit a log, therefore posting a note that can later be deleted seems appropriate, and then the note (can and should) be deleted. Just the same, one could post one 'Found It' 'placeholder' log, and then delete it once the 'real' log has been posted.

The OP could certainly delete any notes from their cache pages if they find them inappropriate, but if the logs are on someone else's caches the OP should consider using more substantial bait when TROLLING these forums.

I agree 100% w/RebelGTP. We go after alot of older caches on Saturday and I don't log them until Sunday night after hubby leaves for work. If we happen to go after a FTF that was posted on Sunday, it's not logged until I post all my Saturday finds and I don't OWE anyone an online log or note that it has been found. It's the game of finding it. I don't get in any huff that I'm second to find or third to find. I just dance the dance that we were able to find it. If the FTF hounds are in a huff over it - then they are caching for the wrong reasons :shocked: (Just my own opinion).

What exactly do you think you're entitled to? Because it's clear you think you're entitled to something here.

People need to remember that this is geocaching, not FTFcaching. If they want to make up their own rules, and then yell at people for not following those rules, maybe they should go start their own website and play their little games over there.

I'm wondering why someone is so concerned that people are posting notes to someone elses caches.

I was once out getting a whole bunch of FTFs that had come out. I didn't post anything because I was running after the NEXT FTF, and then it got late and I got tired so I went to bed.

Had that happen to us.... there were 26 or so new caches on a bike trail an 1.5 hours to the north. We held our breath all day long - no logs. So after all 3 of us got out of work we went for the FTFs or so we thought. The placers kid went out after work and got them all and went to bed without even posting a note. Had we known this we would have not made a special trip and pulled an all nighter as the three of us had to work the next day. Boy, were we PISSED!

I will log a note on the cache page letting anyone watching it or who looks at the page that the cache was found and I'll log it later. I'm normally 3-6 months behind because of a bad medical condition (severe carpel tunnel) and I log when I feel decent enough to do it. I find it the courteous thing to do and considerate at the same time too. Gas isn't all that cheap.

It's a game - no matter what someone will always be upset at how I play. To that I say oh well or if they're really pushing my buttons that day - BITE ME!

First, I could care less if someone else logs the find before I get a chance to do my FTF. There is only one FTF and it doesn't matter if I log it later.

I do understand the frustration of jamming after a cache to find that someone else had FTFed it and not logged it. However, that is part of the fun! The anticipation of possibly being the FTF or did someone already get it and move on. That is all part of it.

So personally, I don't care. Just go out and Geocache. It is fun and if you are getting that upset about who FTFs or doesn't FTF and what not, find a new hobby.

This game is supposed to be fun!

But that doesn't happen when you delete your first stub found log and then write another. The log sequence will still be correct.

Edited by dfx

I'm wondering why someone is so concerned that people are posting notes to someone elses caches.
Not sure if that's aimed at me, but if so, I'm not expressing concern about any notes someone's placing anywhere.

This practice is stemming from people getting flack from either:

1. FTF hunters being upset that someone found the cache before them, but hadn't posted their log yet.
  2. FTF'ers being upset that their log isn't at the very bottom of the cache page.

Either way, it's people trying to enforce rules that don't exist.

Not sure if that's aimed at me, but if so, I'm not expressing concern about any notes someone's placing anywhere.

This practice is stemming from people getting flack from either:

1. FTF hunters being upset that someone found the cache before them, but hadn't posted their log yet.
  2. FTF'ers being upset that their log isn't at the very bottom of the cache page.

Either way, it's people trying to enforce rules that don't exist.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the opening post. I understand why these notes are being made. I just don't understand why the OP opposes them.

So you obviously don't have cachers in your area who, if they don't get the FTF/their sig on the FTF line of the physical log, they hurry up and log their STF or TTF online before the FTF'er does, and say, "Well, I wasn't FTF but I'm "FTL," FIRST TO LOG !"

We have cachers around our area doing that ALL THE TIME !!! It's like, "If I can't be first at this, I'll be first at that ! I don't really care what I'm first at as long as I'm FIRST at something !!"

It's sad but it's true. As of late, we have a local cacher who travels from NE IL to S IL to the Indiana border and back again looking for FTF's. This is fine. Whatever. Who cares ? BUT he doesn't log the FTF's for months. That's ok too ! There aren't any rules or guidelines that state you have to log your FTF's within a certain time frame right ?

Here's the clincher....he'll post notes on other cache pages congratulating other FTF'ers but if he got a FTF somewhere on the same day, he doesn't log it. This is just my opinion, I think he does this purposely to tick off the FTF hounds in the area and if I'm right, it's working because the biggest hounds in our area are VERY CAUTIOUS now about the FTF's they go after because THEY KNOW they'll probably see this guy's sig on the log from DAYS/WEEKS AGO ! One FTF hound in our area drove from Palatine to the Indiana border for 4 FTF's that sat for almost 2 weeks only to get there and find this guy's sig on all the logsheets from a week earlier !

Edit: We stopped on the way home one night, this past November, it was around 11:30 pm, to possibly nab a FTF on a cache placed by friends of ours. This guy was there at 7:30 pm and got the FTF. We don't get all bent like some cachers do if they go for a FTF and they're not so signed and went on our way. This guy still hasn't logged that cache 4 months later....

I don't know why someone would post it as a Note instead of just entering it as a Find and then editing the log later when they get back to a real computer.
Because then you get the ugly "This post has been edited by ..." tacked on the bottom. It ruins the flow of the story you're trying to tell.

But it appears after my log so my story is done at that point anyway -- unless it is one of those epic caches that needs me to span a couple of logs to tell the whole thing, which hasn't happenened to me for awhile. :)

So you obviously don't have cachers in your area who, if they don't get the FTF/their sig on the FTF line of the physical log, they hurry up and log their STF or TTF online before the FTF'er does, and say, "Well, I wasn't FTF but I'm "FTL," FIRST TO LOG !"

We have cachers around our area doing that ALL THE TIME !!! It's like, "If I can't be first at this, I'll be first at that ! I don't really care what I'm first at as long as I'm FIRST at something !!"

Wow. Nope, never seen that around here. I've seen people (and even done it myself) where they will note in their Found log that while they may be the first to log online that the FTF was already gone. Never seen it done in a gloating fashion. Of course, I've never seen anyone get upset when they were the FTF but someone else logged it online first either.

I suspect it's only a matter of time. Like everything else in the game, it seems to start somewhere else and then spread to our area later -- LPCs, challenge caches, first to log fights. Add it to the list of things "I just don't get."

I can't get upset over it. I think it's great that FTF's are quickly letting other cacher's know that a cache has been found. It saves a whole lot of frustration, aggravation, and possible speeding tickets for those following behind.

The whole PQ thing for unfound caches doesn't seem like a significant issue to me. I would never rely on that for newly placed caches regardless.

The Races for FTF's and the races to see who can get the maximum caches per day ?? lead folks to speed and other judgement clouding behaviors / behaviours ??

Nahhhhhh it can't happen ... next thing you know an urban cachemobile will take out a snow plow somewhere. Nahhhhhh

Say it aint so Joe

["Well, I wasn't FTF but I'm "FTL," FIRST TO LOG !"

I have done the FTLO (First To Log Online) thing a time or two.

Even so, I did not get the vacation villa on the French Riviera. :(

Final analysis. Who really cares?

But that doesn't happen when you delete your first stub found log and then write another. The log sequence will still be correct.

But in the meantime you look like a jerk to the CO and the local caching community for posting a found log that says, “FTF, TFTC.”

I've been seeing notes like these for the past few months. At first it was only a few cachers that posted them but as of late it's becoming more and more widespread.

The most recent note caused me to start this thread. It reads: "In the spirit of a recent discussion on the ( NE IL LOCAL FORUMS ), message board: Not ftf, more later!"

There is no issue here. This is a they problem, not a community problem. When they do a “not found” PQ and they see an unfound cache, they should take a minute and look at the cache page. If they aren’t willing to look at the cache page that the CO took tons of time to prepare then I don’t really care that they missed a FTF note.

You are a CO of a couple hundred caches. After taking a glance at a few, I hope to come nab a bunch of them later this year. I’m expecting they will be great. Do you really just slap the listing together in 30 seconds? It looks like a ton of work to me. In a least some, you make mention of parking in some of them. You give directions on where to go and not go. You give a feel for what the cache will be. Now maybe some don’t want to know these things as a cacher before the hunt and if that is the case, I respect that. But, still, to not bring up the cache page because they are living off the PQ in a FTF scenario, I just do not see their plight.

Which is better in this scenario, the finder posts nothing or the finder posts something? For their convenience, the FTF should stop everything else in their life to go to a Starbucks, pay for internet, write their FTF essay and post as a find log so they don’t have to be bothered to pull up the cache page of the cache they think you want to target? How about the FTF doesn’t post anything at all for a couple days so they have nothing to miss in their precious PQ and they can go out to find out they were third or fourth-to-find with no possibility of warning. Or, how about they simply open up the cache page and read about the cache and the stipulations and the attributes before they go on their hunt. Then maybe they just might notice if there has been anything posted on the cache page.

Here is my feedback. You are way off base. This is just another example of how nobody can please anybody in this community.

The FTF hounds are upset because nobody posted a find in time to let them know to stay home.

The CO is upset because they got a lousy FTF log on a cache they worked so hard to put together (this one might be somewhat justified imo).

The STF is upset because he gets ripped because he posted his STF log as soon as he got home, which prevented the FTF from posting their log in the first position of the page.

The guy/gal with the FTF gets blasted as a “FTF Wh-re” because he/she is always getting the FTFs and hogging them.

When the FTF Super Hound let’s up to be polite and let other cachers have some FTFs, he/she is castigated for not being on their game anymore.

And at the end of it all, some are upset because while someone tried to appease everyone else as best they could, they were left out of the “please everyone” mix because for some reason they refuse to bring up the cache page out of a PQ and notice the note. It’s everybody else’s fault.

Well, give me the scenario on posting FTFs where everyone is appeased and I will gladly lead the charge to make sure every cacher is informed of the new policy. Seems to me, though, the note scenario appeases the maximum number of cachers and upsets the fewest. Which, as we all know, is the goal of caching. It’s not about the number of caches you find, it’s about the number of cachers you can appease with your caching etiquette.

But in the meantime you look like a jerk to the CO and the local caching community for posting a found log that says, "FTF, TFTC."

No, the log would say "FTF, more later", just like it was proposed. :unsure:

The latest ridiculous "FTF more later," notes for 4-11-11...One cacher does it 3 times. He posts his "FTF more later," notes for 3 caches he was FTF on and the 4th was found first by another cacher, the one he mentions in one of his notes. She does the same thing !! She posts a note..."FTF. more later."

I still don't get it ? They get the FTF and they post an immediate NOTE but NOT a FOUND IT LOG ! They post their Found It logs an hour later. I DON'T GET IT. What's the point. If you're gonna post a "more later," note why not just make it a found it log and get these caches off my "Unfound Caches," PQ ???

April 11 by

FOUND IT LOG: "FTF @ 11:05. Saw these publsih and since SW of me tends to be a FTF wasteland, headed on down. This was the first of two I found down here - both were wonderful hides. I've seen this type of hide before, but this was very well constructed! Gotta love the break in the onotany of hides I tend towards due to the minicachers. Thanks!"

April 11

NOTE: "ftf @ 11:05...more later"

April 11

FOUND IT LOG:"FTF @ 1:20pm. out with the minicachers on a spontanteous cache run. Not sure I'm following anything about this cache, but I DID find the cache itself, so I'm running with it. I did get a kick out of the theme of this series. Thanks!"

NOTE: "ftf...more later 1:20"

April 11 by

FTF just ahead of ______ and ______. I pulled in, and was surprised to see the pristine log here, bookending my only non-ftf of the series. Of the 4 4's, I found 3, I got FTF on 2, and met other cachers at 1. This was the one. I was signing in when I saw across the lot, someone looking aat their phone, looking at me, looking at their phone looking at me (just in my direction of course), but when they didn't come by, I put the cache back and got in th car to log the note. Suddenly;, their car pulled up next to mine. I introduced myself and wer chatted for a bit. Finally, time to head home with the kidlets. Great day today! Thanks.

April 11 by

NOTE: "ftf just ahead of another group. more later." ( names of 2 other cachers removed )

April 11 by (the cacher who actually was FTF on this one)

FTF! More later :)

April 11 by

FOUND IT LOG: "Best hide of the three I found. Aftering getting the FTF on another 4 down south, I was surpised to see that wasn't the case here. Good times. Caching's caching can't complain. Thanks!"

April 11 by

NOTE: "not ftf...more later"

I'd suggest they log in the field by phone, then edit later and talk about the day/series of caches.

April 11

FOUND IT LOG:"FTF @ 1:20pm. out with the minicachers on a spontanteous cache run. Not sure I'm following anything about this cache, but I DID find the cache itself, so I'm running with it. I did get a kick out of the theme of this series. Thanks!"

NOTE: "ftf...more later 1:20"

It's not just about finding boxes.

Part of the caching experience -in my book- is the journey to and from the cache.

Sometimes I'll mention something I've seen whilst walking between caches, but make little or no mention of the cache itself! (Especially if it's one of a series)

If you're gonna post a "more later," note why not just make it a found it log and get these caches off my "Unfound Caches," PQ ???

Why do you care? How do the logging practices of this particular cacher affect you?

Both questions were answered. Weather or not it's something to get worked up over is the real question.

My feelings exactly.....we never were into the FTF thing but get one on occasion and I log it when I log the rest. We usually log asap but on an out of town trip with many finds it may be a couple of days.