Multi or puzzle?

nekom

My grandfather passed away one year to the day his brother, my great uncle, passed away. I was considering perhaps developing a cache in honor of them as well as an older ancestor who founded a town nearby. I had thought of either having various stages leading to the next with some quick math based on dates from the headstones which I guess would be considered a multi? My other idea would be to make it a puzzle cache, list the cemeteries as waypoints and have only one puzzle, the final, and some simple math based on data from several headstones. Which would work better? Difficulty: Two of the cemeteries I had in mind to gather information from are very near here, in southwestern Pennsylvania, but one is in Wooster, Ohio. So I guess my questions are

1. Are multi-state multis or puzzles frowned upon or is there any compelling reason not to do this?

and 2. Would this be better setup as a multi or a puzzle cache? Which would be more appropriate?

What about sending out a travelbug in their name? I did one for my Dad and have enjoyed watching it travel.

Good thought but I have had NO luck with travel bugs or geocoins. Most of mine are either long gone or get logged every 6 months, which I guess is still moving.

Thing about multi state caches is you may not be able to get them posted. Unless you can show the reviewer that you or someone else will be able to do regular maintenance on them.

Well the out of state part isn't TOO far for me to reasonably maintain something, but I was thinking on that being a virtual stage anyway, just get some numbers off of headstones from there and keep the physical cache or cache components closer. I'm not sure if that could still be considered a true `multi' though or if having virtual stages would classify it as a puzzle.

If you're set on doing it, make the first 2 stages in SW PA traditionals. Put the N coords in one and W coords in the other. That way, you get activity on both. You probably won't get alot of activity on the Wooster puzzle, but put the fake coords in SW PA since the puzzle originates there. Like I said, you'll get few at the Wooster cache, but we may just do it. We were in SW PA last weekend and left some unfinished business. Check out the Snake Hill Good Bad and Ugly series (just south of you) for the traditional to puzzle setup.

1. Are multi-state multis or puzzles frowned upon or is there any compelling reason not to do this?
As others have pointed out, the main concern is whether you'll be able to properly maintain them. Be sure to explain your maintenance plan in a Reviewer Note when you submit the cache(s).

Of course, a multi-state cache will have fewer finds than one that requires less travel. As others have suggested, an alternative is to have two traditional caches, with a bonus cache listed as a mystery/puzzle cache.

and 2. Would this be better setup as a multi or a puzzle cache? Which would be more appropriate?
I wouldn't call it a puzzle unless there were some puzzle-like aspect to it. If all you're doing is using simple arithmetic to determine the final coordinates from information available at an earlier stage or two, then it's just a multi-cache. A multi-cache can have information at the first waypoint lead to the second waypoint, and information at the second waypoint lead to the final. A multi-cache can also have information at the first and second waypoints lead to the final.

But as for which is more appropriate, that's a question of taste. What kind of cache(s) do you want to own and maintain for the long term?