My new eight quid boots

On our way to do caches in Essex today, we dropped in at London Colney services to pick up sandwiches and coffee at M&S and Starbucks. While I was waiting for ladysolly to buy the provisions, I noticed that at Sports Direct they were offering walking boots for £8.

One of the consequences of doing a lot of caching, is that I get through a lot of boots; I have a pair that I'm about to discard which are so worn, the tread is smooth. I've had them for a year or two, and they cost me north of £100. They other thing I get is premature cracking on the top side, maybe they don't get enough Dubbin. Or maybe I just walk too much.

So, I trundled into the shop and had a look. They aren't the highest quality of boots, I guess, and I forget the brand, but I tried them on, they felt OK, so I bought three pair (they only allow three per customer, apparently some villains are reselling them on Ebay!).

I used one pair for real in Essex, and I have no complaints after a few miles. And even if they only last a few months, I'm quids in. It's a short term offer, they told me, and possibly it's available at other branches, I don't know.

I love these type of posts....

Little snippets of fabulousness... I have decent boots from Decathlon at the moment, they're comfortable, but not the best boots I've ever had...

The BEST boots I have ever had cost me £12.99 about 10 years ago from Aldi (believe it or not!!) and they lasted me about 2 years.... :laughing:

Edited by HazelS

I noticed the same offer in St Awful.. (Umm St Austell, Cornwall) This very afternoon... although this was 5 minutes after I'd just bought a pair from TK Max!

St Awful, lol, our nearest large "town" and the sad thing is I passed there twice at the weekend - I have boots (that are ok) from some outdoors/mountain shop or other (in Penzance) but am always weary of the really cheap SW stuff, didn't think they fitted all that well...

Maybe the secrets in the socks?

Thanks for another excuse to visit TKM tho, and no doubt a few more quid on new clothes for the kids!

I have had mixed results with cheap and expensive boots.

As i sit here typing i am wearing £14 boots from millets, which are worn with what i would call thin dress socks. These are my workwear boots bought to wear at work to keep my feet warm over winter which they have worked well for. The only times they have let me down is on the cycle to and from work when it has been pouring down with rain as they are not that waterproof.

These are Millets own brand.

however i also own a pair of Beghaus Explorer light Goretex and these are brilliant. Once again only ever worn with light dress socks, These have kept my feet worm and dry ever since i brought them.

I have worn them on many camps and expeditions in some of the worst conditions imaginable.

The only time i had wet feet in them was when i was on a camp and it rained for so long that my waterproofs failed and the water was getting in by running down my legs and filled the boots up.

Both pairs have been worn for periods in excess of 10 hours at a time, but if its wet its the berghaus for me everytime.

Oh i have not had a blister for more than 20 years, walks of 15 - 20 miles not uncommon.

I noticed the same offer in St Awful.. (Umm St Austell, Cornwall) This very afternoon... although this was 5 minutes after I'd just bought a pair from TK Max!

I bought mine from Aldi or Lidle (I forget which) and they are lovely for about £14 or less.

I dont use them as much as I would like due to illnesss but they are comfy and dry.

these are absolute goldmines for cheap and decent outdoor gear, this applies even more for TKM.

Ohh I missed out on those. My wife told me about the offer, so I took a walk into town on Saturday afternoon, but the cheapest boots they had in stock were £18, still good, but I left it. Just had a look at the website, and they still have on offer, but not my size.

Never mind. Was just looking for a cheap pair to tie me over until I decide on the next decent pair to buy. Still, if anyone managed to buy a size 9 and have decided they don't need them them now... *holds out a begging hand* :P

The London Colney branch of Sports Direct is out of Size 11; I checked when I was passing. So if you're thinking of getting any of these (they've a lot of 7-10s and a pair of 13s!) don't hang around. I had a look at a pair and they did seem nicely made for the money. Other branches may have size 11s. I'll check every one I see :)

Eldest needs a pair of solid outdoor shoes, so when I read about them here, I had a look. She was born with clubfeet, so has rather wide and odly-shaped feet. But they do half-sizes, so we went half a size higher and they fit fine. for £8 its great for shoes that won't get worn out.

So thanks for the heads up! :D

Truro SD sold out of the £8 boots :mad:

Going to hit Penzance tomorrow!

Hang on, I already have a pair, am I getting a boot fetish??!

A shoe and boot fetish.. you know your problem - you're turning into a woman!

I could make myself very unpopular with anything other than a carefully crafted response to that

If the missus could work out how to use forums that is!