That fence I attached a cache to is electric - what now

I left a series of eight caches that span a lovely three mile walk. I tried to space them out pretty evenly, otherwise there was the chance that folks would do a couple then drive around to the next stage. Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere decent to leave the last but one, and I attached it to a fence. The FTF commented that they could hear the tick of the electric fence as they approached ground zero.

So now I'm worried about it! What should I do? There's nowhere to move it to. Should I leave it, delete it, archive it? I've set it to premium members only for the moment, thinking they'll be a little more careful and less likely to sue if they get zapped.....

I left a series of eight caches that span a lovely three mile walk. I tried to space them out pretty evenly, otherwise there was the chance that folks would do a couple then drive around to the next stage. Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere decent to leave the last but one, and I attached it to a fence. The FTF commented that they could hear the tick of the electric fence as they approached ground zero.

So now I'm worried about it! What should I do? There's nowhere to move it to. Should I leave it, delete it, archive it? I've set it to premium members only for the moment, thinking they'll be a little more careful and less likely to sue if they get zapped.....

You should archive it or move it to a safer spot. I think a lot of cachers might not notice that the fence is electrified, even if you put a note on the cache page.

Imagine how you'd feel if someone got electrocuted while searching for it.

Do you have permission from the owner of the electric fence to hide a cache on it? I assume you don't; I don't think any owner would. So, yes you should either archive it, or move it to a location that meets the guidelines.

Disable it immediately!!!!

You don't want anyone electrocuted!!

You can do this right now from your cache page. You should write a note on there that you are disabling it in order to investigate whether it is dangerous or not.

Then you can have a chance to go check it out.

Find out whether it really is and how much a threat it really poses.

Then with the cache disabled you can have the time to investigate.

When you find out what's going on you can make the decision to move it or archive it or un-disable it.

Imagine how you'd feel if someone got electrocuted while searching for it.

I don't think anyone could get "electrocuted" by a legal electric fence. I have bumped into a couple of them over the years and they will give you one heck of a jolt, but I really doubt if they would electrocute you. <_<

Still, this cache should be moved. I don't think your fellow cachers would like to grab your cache and get knocked on their rear by an electric fence.

Go back and check on the cache. Based on the satellite shot it appears this is most likely a typical agricultural electric fence. The electric wires have to be attached to the fence posts with insulators. Look to see if your cache is on or close to those particular wires (usually it's only one wire and inside the fence. If the cache is not close to one of the electric wires, you're fine. If anything, the fear factor might add to the degree of interest in the cache. Personally, I'd make a big deal out of the electric fence on cache description. smile.gif

For the record, you don't want to setup the cache where a cacher can easily by shocked. It isn't going to go over well and you don't want the finders doing a "drive-by" on your house. As for a typical agricultural electric fence, it is NOT going to electrocute you. These are placed to keep livestock inside the fence, expensive livestock. The rancher would quickly go out of business if his livestock starting dropping dead due to shock. Or his family. A fact of life on the farm is you're going to get shocked by your fence from time to time.

Side note, growing up, I had a neighbor who taught himself to grab the fence without flinching. He'd use this skill to convince us to touch live wires, which we did many times. Hurts like heck and usually induced an angry response. biggrin.gif

Unless it has some rather explicit warning signs all over it - I rather guarantee it isn't a lethal dose of electricity. At most, it is likely designed to keep livestock away from it. I've bumped into a few of those during my lifetime. It gets your attention but doesn't do any damage. Very likely only 1 wire of several. Did you see any insulators attached to nearby posts?? Such things are often temporary.

Still, some folks would be at danger so I'd at least disable it until you know a bit more about it.

Modern electric fences just give a very short jolt once every second. No one is going to get electrocuted. Just a quick zap that hurts a bit and reminds you not to touch that wire again. Put a warning on the page a increase the difficulty rating and you're good to go.

No one was going to suggest adjusting the Difficulty up to 5 and leave it where it is? :laughing:

Seriously, Disable it until you can check out the situation.

Since you say there is nowhere decent for the cache, you may want to consider Archiving it if the fence is going to be a problem.

This could be real trouble for someone with a pacemaker (or similar device) to come in contact with the fence. I would definitely disable this cache until another location could be found for that stage. I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt, or worse...

Edited by ScallywagGrammies

Archive it or move it. There are 2 reasons for this. First is cacher safety, sure it is no big deal for the average adult cacher, but for the 4 year old child tagging along or the cacher with a pacemaker it could be a different story. Second are livestock issues. If a branch, or a piece of grass gets against the wire it can short it out. This can also happen if the wire comes lose and comes in contact with the fence post. This could allow several thousand dollars worth of livestock to get out and get lost, possibly get killed or cause accidents or damage to other peoples property. It is this second part that makes me question if you have 'expressed permission' to put this cache here. NO ONE that I know that has electric fence would give this type of permission. Further if I found this cache I would post a needs archived log for these reasons.

Do you have permission from the owner of the electric fence to hide a cache on it? I assume you don't; I don't think any owner would. So, yes you should either archive it, or move it to a location that meets the guidelines.

HUGE EYEROLL. Important maybe but off topic.

but for the 4 year old child tagging along

First off, lemme say that I agree with the consensus, and I understand the CO is doing the right thing. Now, I have one of those "my crack head kid proved this wrong" stories. When we lived in Virginia (which we may soon again), my wife had a quarter horse. Once he decided he didn't want to stay inside the fence we had up for him, we decided to up the ante, and bought a fence charger. My son (who was, ironically, 4 at the time....) grabbed that fence, bare handed -at least- a half a dozen times. It took him deciding to "fix" it with a pair of pliers, and being consequently lit up, to decide that the hot fence was bad juju. I honestly felt bad for him, but all Mrs. DazD and I could do for a minute or two, once he ran away from the fence 19 kinds of angry, was laugh. The horse, however, learned the first time. LOLOLOL

Later!

On the one hand, while an electric fence might do something to someone with a pacemaker, a child's heart is quite resilient and it's unlikely they'd be hurt seriously by such a fence.

On the other hand:

The OP is asking about what to do with a recent hide, and the question of if the property owner would allow the cache is off topic?

EVEN HUGER EYEROLL.

Of course it's on topic, and any nincompoop rolling their eyes at it isn't going to change that.

but for the 4 year old child tagging along

First off, lemme say that I agree with the consensus, and I understand the CO is doing the right thing. Now, I have one of those "my crack head kid proved this wrong" stories. When we lived in Virginia (which we may soon again), my wife had a quarter horse. Once he decided he didn't want to stay inside the fence we had up for him, we decided to up the ante, and bought a fence charger. My son (who was, ironically, 4 at the time....) grabbed that fence, bare handed -at least- a half a dozen times. It took him deciding to "fix" it with a pair of pliers, and being consequently lit up, to decide that the hot fence was bad juju. I honestly felt bad for him, but all Mrs. DazD and I could do for a minute or two, once he ran away from the fence 19 kinds of angry, was laugh. The horse, however, learned the first time. LOLOLOL

Later!

Kids and electric fences...I've got a few stories as well, some I laugh over (because it was someone else that got shocked). biggrin.gif

Adding to the consensus:

If you put a cache on someone's fence - electric livestock fence or not - you've placed it on private property without the owner's permission. :mad: It should be removed and archived on that basis alone, let alone the issue that most livestock owners I know would not appreciate strangers messing around with their fences and/or disturbing their animals.

Safety to cachers is a lesser issue, but even if you had the owner's permission & warned people the fence is electric I wouldn't consider the placement appropriate.

Um... everyone is worried about someone getting hurt or at least startled by this fence -- how did the CO place the cache without at least getting a tickle?

I'm guessing it was placed on the vertical fence post, or on some other part of the fence that wasn't "hot". The "hot" part of an electric livestock fence is a horizontal wire or wires; the problem is that a person may grasp the wire without realizing that it's "hot".

Um... everyone is worried about someone getting hurt or at least startled by this fence -- how did the CO place the cache without at least getting a tickle?
I'm guessing it was placed on the vertical fence post, or on some other part of the fence that wasn't "hot". The "hot" part of an electric livestock fence is a horizontal wire or wires; the problem is that a person may grasp the wire without realizing that it's "hot".
Also, the fence could have been temporarily turned off while the cache was placed, or it could have been shorted out, making that section safe to touch when the OP was there.

Surely the landowner told you it was an electric fence when you got permission, right?

I am not sure if I should laugh or not,since I grew up working on many farms and I got my share of getting shocked. It wont kill ya, but wake ya up. :anibad:

I thought of placing one on an electric fence that belong to a farmer that I know personal and I know he will tell me ya, go ahead and lets watch the city peeps get shocked!!! :blink:

Is the original question even for real ? I'm not a whimpy cacher by any means and I'll do whatever it takes to find your cache BUT if I got electrocuted EVEN A LITTLE, looking for your cache and THEN I found out you knew the fence was electric, uh, I'd be SERIOUSLY TICKED OFF !

There's a whole lotta world out there ! Archive it and put it somewhere else.

I can't even believe I responded to this.

...Ooops ! Sorry 'bout that quicksand pit ! tee-hee

...Ooops ! Sorry 'bout that 200' deep hole in the woods I covered up with some local camo ! It's just an old well !

...Oops ! Sorry 'bout the old Bear trap you stepped in ! I knew it was there but thought it would be fun ! C'mon ! Don't be mad !

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

Is the original question even for real ? I'm not a whimpy cacher by any means and I'll do whatever it takes to find your cache BUT if I got electrocuted EVEN A LITTLE, looking for your cache and THEN I found out you knew the fence was electric, uh, I'd be SERIOUSLY TICKED OFF !

There's a whole lotta world out there ! Archive it and put it somewhere else.

I can't even believe I responded to this.

...Ooops ! Sorry 'bout that quicksand pit ! tee-hee

...Ooops ! Sorry 'bout that 200' deep hole in the woods I covered up with some local camo ! It's just an old well !

...Oops ! Sorry 'bout the old Bear trap you stepped in ! I knew it was there but thought it would be fun ! C'mon ! Don't be mad !

LightenupFrancis.jpg

A little tingle from a fence isn't gonna cause death or dismemberment.

It is quit possible the CO didn't know the fence was electric. It very well may not have been on when the cache was placed. To save energy these things are often turned off when the field is not in use.

I have an electric fence. The post isn't electrified. The wire is. The wire (usually three of them), is on the inside of the fence and no one should come into contact with it unless they stick a hand through the fence. The fence is usually shut off if no animals are in that paddock at that time.

If you have a medical device in or on your body that is run by a battery, I'd not suggest you to touch an electrical fence. Other then that, they are toally safe. I watch a kid every couple of days touch my fence. I guess they don't believe the signs I have posted.

My only concern, this fence is off limits but I continue to see electrical panels and boxes used as hiding spots. Barbed wire fences also. Where/when do you draw a line? Maybe a warning in the description?

... lesser issue, but even if you had the owner's permission & warned people the fence is electric I wouldn't consider the placement appropriate.

I disagree. Danger etc is not an issue when determining appropriateness. I think if you were to place on there, you should carefully think out the attributes you post, and possibly a written warning on the cache page. And don't give me the "some cachers don't read the cache page" storey. Cachers that don't read the cache page take danger into their own hands. That is not the CO's problem. Plus, electric fences are not dangerous. That is why they are allowed, and the farmers can still get insurance.

Then there is the possibility that the fence is not electric. Maybe the FTF who thought they heard the ticking may have been mistaken.

... It is this second part that makes me question if you have 'expressed permission' to put this cache here. NO ONE that I know that has electric fence would give this type of permission. Further if I found this cache I would post a needs archived log for these reasons.

The guidelines do not require 'expressed permission', they require 'adequate permission'. A regular fence that borders a road, I don't think you need explicit permission.

I have an electric fence. The post isn't electrified. The wire is. The wire (usually three of them), is on the inside of the fence and no one should come into contact with it unless they stick a hand through the fence. The fence is usually shut off if no animals are in that paddock at that time.

If you have a medical device in or on your body that is run by a battery, I'd not suggest you to touch an electrical fence. Other then that, they are toally safe. I watch a kid every couple of days touch my fence. I guess they don't believe the signs I have posted.

My only concern, this fence is off limits but I continue to see electrical panels and boxes used as hiding spots. Barbed wire fences also. Where/when do you draw a line? Maybe a warning in the description?

Thanks for this post of wisdom.

Seriously, electric fences are such a common thing in the countryside that everybody should know what they look like and how to handle them. If they don't, then maybe this is a good opportunity for them to learn. :D

If you put a cache on someone's fence - electric livestock fence or not - you've placed it on private property without the owner's permission. :mad:

I would guess that there are plenty of caches placed on someone's fence with permission. To say that because a cache is on a fence it was placed without permission is an exaggeration.

I suppose an argument could be made that a person is less likely to give permission for a cache on a electric fence. My guess is that many of the responses to this thread are based on that. If the cache owner didn't get permission for this cache, the OP should reconsider it's placement, as the owner of the electric fence probably doesn't want cachers touching his fence.

If you put a cache on someone's fence - electric livestock fence or not - you've placed it on private property without the owner's permission. :mad:

I would guess that there are plenty of caches placed on someone's fence with permission. To say that because a cache is on a fence it was placed without permission is an exaggeration.

Three of our caches are on private fences. In all three instances, we received explicit permission.

On the one hand, while an electric fence might do something to someone with a pacemaker, a child's heart is quite resilient and it's unlikely they'd be hurt seriously by such a fence.

On the other hand:

The OP is asking about what to do with a recent hide, and the question of if the property owner would allow the cache is off topic?

EVEN HUGER EYEROLL.

Of course it's on topic, and any nincompoop rolling their eyes at it isn't going to change that.

The question was about the fence itself. Permission is a whole different topic which gets beaten to death around here (rightly or wrongly so). And name calling should technically get you banned.