Need help with maintenance

jellis

Tried in the main forum but was asked to place it here. I have a cache in Burien that the previous cacher who was maintaining it has not been able to get out much. Asking if anyone near there can help by just replacing the log once in awhile or replacing the cache which so far hasn't needed it. Yes the log said it had but actually the cache was still there and was moved to another cache call "Tango hates nanos"

I will send who ever helps, logs and an extra container. I've had that cache there when I moved up there and still own others that are being maintained by others. This one is the only one I don't have anyone left to do it. I don't want to adopt it out or archive it. So I am hoping someone can help.

You placed it in Jan and are already having problems maintaining it? I'm sure you can find someone to help in Burien, but I don't understand why you're placing caches you can't maintain yourself and/or offer to adopt out...

No I placed it July 2008 when I took a flight back to CA to work a firework show.

And I love that cache. It brings back good memories. Who knows I may return to WA. I have caches in many other states where FRIENDLY cachers love to help others.

Edited by jellis

You can call me unfriendly if you like, I just don't understand why people have 100+ caches, can't maintain them and then refuse to adopt them out or archive them. I understand your connection with said cache, just don't really agree with your method of keeping the cache alive. I've just been to too many caches with owners living hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away and no one being able to maintain them. Then caches sit there for a couple of weeks or longer and people visit, log DNF's and nothing is being done. I don't know you personally and I'm not saying you would ever be guilty of this, but past experiences have obviously soured the way I feel about cache owners being 2,000 miles away. I have a feeling most reviewers might feel the same way too...

Good luck, there are plenty of FRIENDLY cachers out there who might help you :)

Never said you were unfriendly but yes there are friendly cachers out there. I own a cache about 70 miles away, and placed in 2007. Since the day I placed it I never had to change the log. Cachers have been kind enough to place a new log in it. Not once has anyone put a "needs maintenance" on it. And I never even asked anyone to do it. They just do it.

Didn't we recently get a newsletter from Groundspeak that not only ask COs to maintain their caches (which includes having someone to help if out of area) but for cache finders if they can, help to maintain them by carrying extra logsheets and containers?

As I mentioned I had someone taking care of it, I am only asking someone else if they can. I have adopted out many of my WA state caches when I left. Including some to SeabeckTribe and frisbee'r. And I archived others I didn't think were good enough to keep alive, but I also still own 4 others up there who are maintained by caching friends. But this one is just out of their reach.

So are you willing to help or just making comments? Cause I see you haven't cached that long.

Edited by jellis

Just making comments...

And I've cached long enough to have seen a couple unkempt caches from out of state CO's, that's my point. That's it, that's all. No need to drop the longer than you card.

Guess you answered it. The whole point is I am trying to get it maintained. Otherwise I would not be asking and be like the cachers you mention. And I do frequent WA still. My son lives on the west side of the sound. And I was up there for a Cito event in Lynnwood in Feb. but at that time no one said anything about the logsheet so there was no reason for me to check.

Just making comments...

And I've cached long enough to have seen a couple unkempt caches from out of state CO's, that's my point. That's it, that's all. No need to drop the longer than you card.

You are coming across as unfriendly. Jellis is just trying to follow the guidelines and set up a new maintenance plan as outlined in the guidelines:

Geocaches placed during travel may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan, which must allow for a quick response to reported problems. An acceptable maintenance plan might include the username of a local geocacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence.

He had someone to help, who can no longer help and so is looking for someone to replace him. You dumping on him because of some poor experiences of yours is uncalled for.

Edited by The Jester

I'm not asking for opinions here. I'm asking for some help. Someone suggested this forum but though I had advise, comments and someone standing up for me,which I appreciate, I am only asking for is if anyone could help maintain my cache til I come back?

Gentlemen, if we can't be part of the solution, lets not be part of a problem. Some comments are uncalled for when a cacher is attempting to do the right thing.

Jellis, I may have missed it but what is the cache GC?

Edited by TotemLake

Sorry, wasn't aware of new guidelines that allowed cache owners to be out of state. I asked to place a cache in Mexico last year and wasn't allowed, even though I visit yearly and have local help.

This opens up some doors, thanks for the heads up!

PS I never thought I was dumping on jellis. I thought my comments were articulated well and I stated why I thought it was a bad idea to not adopt the cache out.

Edited by NWCREW

Thank you hope you can help.

GC1DZX0

If no one else can get to it before then, I will attempt on Saturday.

Thank you

I will owe you. It's a nano. Hope you have a log. In the meantime after I will continue to find someone or another way to maintain it.

Edited by jellis

Sorry, wasn't aware of new guidelines that allowed cache owners to be out of state. I asked to place a cache in Mexico last year and wasn't allowed, even though I visit yearly and have local help.

PS I never thought I was dumping on jellis. I thought my comments were articulated well and I stated why I thought it was a bad idea to not adopt the cache out.

There is nothing in the guidelines that prevents a cache owner from being out of state, especially if the owner was in-state before moving out of state. And when someone is asking for help on the maintenance, and you come across like you did, I would say it is dumping. Unfortunately I don't have a cool picture in my photobucket inventory.

There is a grandfathered issue to consider as well. Jellis used to live in the area. Prior to moving, chose to archive some, adopt others out and keep s few under her ownership providing she had cachers willing to help with maintenance. Nothing is ever black and white in this game.

I haven't looked at your profile for Mexico, but one of the things that helps a cacher place a cache outside of their home area is to routinely show they find caches in the geographic area. New cachers typically won't be allowed too far from their home coordinates making it easy to maintain and develop habits, seasoned cachers tend to be allowed latitude on distance. At least that was back in the early days... On the other hand, Mexico also presents other isssues with placement by International visitors as I have seen with visitors to our country. A change in the guidelines may still end up with a denial.

Thank you hope you can help.

GC1DZX0

If no one else can get to it before then, I will attempt on Saturday.

Thank you

I will owe you. It's a nano. Hope you have a log. In the meantime after I will continue to find someone or another way to maintain it.

No worries. If I can find it, there will be a fresh log in place. I'll photo the other one and email you.

Thank you all and TotemLake. I hope to find someone more permanent before that log fills up. The reason that cache is there was a convenient for me when I flew out of Seatac but no so when it came to the frequent cachers coming in.

You placed it in Jan and are already having problems maintaining it? I'm sure you can find someone to help in Burien, but I don't understand why you're placing caches you can't maintain yourself and/or offer to adopt out...

There is nothing in this quote that is wrong. It seems to be quite tacky to hide caches and expect others to maintain them for you.

When I can, I try to help a cache that needs some maintenance. But for someone to hide one then expect others to take care of it just feels a little wrong.

When I first came to this forum, someone had asked about hiding a cache while on vacation. I suggested they find someone local to take care of it. I was chastised for that attitude. Now, NWCREW is being chastised for the opposite view. :blink:<_<:unsure::huh::mad:

There is nothing in this quote that is wrong. It seems to be quite tacky to hide caches and expect others to maintain them for you.

When I can, I try to help a cache that needs some maintenance. But for someone to hide one then expect others to take care of it just feels a little wrong.

When I first came to this forum, someone had asked about hiding a cache while on vacation. I suggested they find someone local to take care of it. I was chastised for that attitude. Now, NWCREW is being chastised for the opposite view. :blink:<_<:unsure::huh::mad:

For the first thing you haven't read all the posts. Second NWCrew mistakenly wrote the wrong date. I did not place the cache in Jan. I placed it in 2008 while I was living up there. And there is nothing wrong with placing a cache and having it being maintained by friends or others. Lots of cachers do it. Especially King Boreas who has over 2000 hides, or Moun10Bike or even OhJoy! all having caches in multiple states and countries. You going to tell them it's wrong to place caches far from home and expect others to maintain them?

For the first thing you haven't read all the posts. Second NWCrew mistakenly wrote the wrong date. I did not place the cache in Jan. I placed it in 2008 while I was living up there. And there is nothing wrong with placing a cache and having it being maintained by friends or others. Lots of cachers do it. Especially King Boreas who has over 2000 hides, or Moun10Bike or even OhJoy! all having caches in multiple states and countries. You going to tell them it's wrong to place caches far from home and expect others to maintain them?

Not saying it is wrong even though I've been told that as long as I have been caching. Just that it is tacky.

Nothing wrong with hoping someone will help with a cache, but as much as I respect Moun10bike, and OhJoy, I still feel someone should not place a cache that they "expect" someone else to maintain. I used to feel different, but after being chastised for that view, I have come to agree, if you know you can't maintain it, don't hide it.

life happens and we all may need some help sometimes, but when I hide a cache, I "expect" to maintain it. However, if someone helps, I do really appreciate it.

Not saying it is wrong even though I've been told that as long as I have been caching. Just that it is tacky.

Nothing wrong with hoping someone will help with a cache, but as much as I respect Moun10bike, and OhJoy, I still feel someone should not place a cache that they "expect" someone else to maintain. I used to feel different, but after being chastised for that view, I have come to agree, if you know you can't maintain it, don't hide it.

life happens and we all may need some help sometimes, but when I hide a cache, I "expect" to maintain it. However, if someone helps, I do really appreciate it.

You are still missing the point. I didn't place that cache for others to maintain. I placed it while living up there. I maintained it on my visits up there. I replaced it during GW8 and would have if I knew the log was almost full in Feb when I was up there. I don't expect someone to have to replace it. I am asking if someone would like to. If anyone asked me I wouldn't have a problem. If you do, then it is just yours and nothing to do with what this posting was about.

You going to tell them it's wrong to place caches far from home and expect others to maintain them?

Expecting others to maintain them is certainly wrong. Asking others to maintain them is fine if it works.

We once tried to find some caches that turned out to be inside an all-inclusive resort. The resort was surrounded by a wall topped with broken glass. Guards armed with automatic weapons patrolled the perimeter. Our attempt to find an alternate route failed when we realized our Spanish was just not good enough to talk our way past a man sitting with sawed-off shotgun in his lap. The "caches" were hotel shampoo bottles containing a scrap of paper for a log and none of them survived the first rainy season. The cache owners had an imaginary friend who was maintaining the caches for them, but they really expected people to throw down more shampoo bottles as necessary.

Edited by B+L

You going to tell them it's wrong to place caches far from home and expect others to maintain them?

Expecting others to maintain them is certainly wrong. Asking others to maintain them is fine if it works.

We once tried to find some caches that turned out to be inside an all-inclusive resort. The resort was surrounded by a wall topped with broken glass. Guards armed with automatic weapons patrolled the perimeter. Our attempt to find an alternate route failed when we realized our Spanish was just not good enough to talk our way past a man sitting with sawed-off shotgun in his lap. The "caches" were hotel shampoo bottles containing a scrap of paper for a log and none of them survived the first rainy season. The cache owners had an imaginary friend who was maintaining the caches for them, but they really expected people to throw down more shampoo bottles as necessary.

Thank you, that put a smile on my face. Beside the fact that should not have gotten approved. I mentioned above I have one I never had to replaced the log. A simple guardrail cache with a ey holder. It's the location others love. It has a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean. Never got a maintenance request and thought it odd, only to find out others were replacing the logs for me.

I recently went on a cache run and replaced many logs due to it being full or wet.

I did a search on this cache to see where it was. Turns out it is in an area where I spent a lot of time back in the early sixties.

I decided to go get a few of the caches in the area.

Even though I am apparently, an unfriendly cacher, I did replace the log in this one. Should be ready to go, until you can find someone to take care of it for you.

So are you willing to help or just making comments? Cause I see you haven't cached that long.

And people say these forums are ridiculous...

Too bad some cachers didn't get her point. She wasn't asking for comments or advice just asking if anyone was willing to help. She doesn't look like one of those cachers who place a cache and forgets it.

And just because someone replaced it doesn't mean she have a volunteer to help maintain it.

Too bad some cachers didn't get her point. She wasn't asking for comments or advice just asking if anyone was willing to help. She doesn't look like one of those cachers who place a cache and forgets it.

And just because someone replaced it doesn't mean she have a volunteer to help maintain it.

If you don't want opinions or comments, then don't post in a forum.

Funny I thought the Moderator suggested her to post here to find help not to get bashed by locals.

Funny I thought the Moderator suggested her to post here to find help not to get bashed by locals.

How is asking some questions bashing? NWCREW asked a few questions and the response he got was unbelievably rude. Then people start piling on with accustations of "dumping on" and now "bashing". Those are some pretty ugly expressions to use when describing something so innocuous.

The first question was more of an accusation and also had the facts wrong. He then finished up by blasting the CO for not maintaining the cache. If I read the OP correctly she was asking for help to replace a log. It seems to me the CO had a reasonable request and NWCREW was not offering to replace the log but rather criticized the CO for trying to find someone replace the log. I agree a couple of us took him to task for that post, but I would suggest that given the request NWCREW's response was a bit harsh and really did not contribute to the solution. NWCREW was also missing a few facts concerning this CO when he let loose.

The first question was more of an accusation and also had the facts wrong. He then finished up by blasting the CO for not maintaining the cache. If I read the OP correctly she was asking for help to replace a log. It seems to me the CO had a reasonable request and NWCREW was not offering to replace the log but rather criticized the CO for trying to find someone replace the log. I agree a couple of us took him to task for that post, but I would suggest that given the request NWCREW's response was a bit harsh and really did not contribute to the solution. NWCREW was also missing a few facts concerning this CO when he let loose.

He did not "blast" anyone and he at least was gracious enough to apologize. Correcting him when he had his facts wrong one is of the benefits of the free exchange of ideas, e.g. participating in a forum, although some restraint on the part of the people using all the violent language would be nice.

Had he really been "blasting" the OP, he would have been darkly muttering about a sense of entitlement, decrying the futility of hiding nano caches when you aren't going to be around to replace the log, and pointing out that hiding a nano in other people's parking lots is not a proper cache when everyone knows a true North Westerner would have hidden an ammo can in a stump.

He did not "blast" anyone and he at least was gracious enough to apologize. Correcting him when he had his facts wrong one is of the benefits of the free exchange of ideas, e.g. participating in a forum, although some restraint on the part of the people using all the violent language would be nice.

Had he really been "blasting" the OP, he would have been darkly muttering about a sense of entitlement, decrying the futility of hiding nano caches when you aren't going to be around to replace the log, and pointing out that hiding a nano in other people's parking lots is not a proper cache when everyone knows a true North Westerner would have hidden an ammo can in a stump.

I am happy that someone was kind enough to replace it. Just wondering if you found it? Because then you would know though it is a nano, it is not in a parking lot. And yes I did put ammo boxes up there when I lived there. I adopted or archived most of mine out up there. But the ones I kept mean something to me. Did you notice the new one in Lynnwood I own? No complaints about me having that one so far from home.

I am happy that someone was kind enough to replace it. Just wondering if you found it? Because then you would know though it is a nano, it is not in a parking lot. And yes I did put ammo boxes up there when I lived there. I adopted or archived most of mine out up there. But the ones I kept mean something to me. Did you notice the new one in Lynnwood I own? No complaints about me having that one so far from home.

I was speaking hypothetically and the cache described was not intended to resemble an actual cache, active or archived.

The only fact NWCREW got wrong appears to be when the cache was put out. The OP was not looking for someone to just replace the log. No problem with that, most of us would do that on a one time basis. She was looking for someone local to take care of the cache.

There must have been a change in the rules, because when I started caching that was against the rules.

NWCREW was jumped on when he wanted to do the same thing. I got jumped on when I suggested the same thing. Apparently people now think this is OK.

For myself, I couldn't care less if you hide a cache and have someone else maintain it, but I do think it is a bit tacky.

I have no real problem with what the OP is trying to do, but I do think the forum is wrong for jumping on NWCREW for his opinion.

The only fact NWCREW got wrong appears to be when the cache was put out. The OP was not looking for someone to just replace the log. No problem with that, most of us would do that on a one time basis. She was looking for someone local to take care of the cache.

There must have been a change in the rules, because when I started caching that was against the rules.

NWCREW was jumped on when he wanted to do the same thing. I got jumped on when I suggested the same thing. Apparently people now think this is OK.

For myself, I couldn't care less if you hide a cache and have someone else maintain it, but I do think it is a bit tacky.

I have no real problem with what the OP is trying to do, but I do think the forum is wrong for jumping on NWCREW for his opinion.

Sorry Dick, I have to jump in.

There are a lot of assumptions being placed on rules this and rules that.

Uxorious, I don't know about your situation, but clearly NWCrew wanted to place a vacation cache. That's against the guidelines. That hasn't changed from at least 2003.

Jellis had lived here when the cache was placed. Upon moving out, as a cache owner, she was obliged to either find someone to take care of the cache, adopt the cache out or archive the cache. She chose all three options with different caches she owned in the area.

In the first post... and this is where she got jumped on with an assumption which NWCrew aplogized for. She HAD a volunteer taking care of this particular cache. Said volunteer was unable to keep up with the maintenenace. She asked for a favor on a cache that was placed by her when she lived here. It is not a vacation cache thus no "rules or guidelines" were in violation, changed or otherwise mangled.

The problem is not everyone is reading the entire thread, but jumping in the middle and making more assumptions. Let's all take a step back, take a deep breath and settle down. And again, thanks for saving me the trip.