Making Glass Geocoins

GregsonVaux

I am interested in making glass geocoins and was hoping that some of you might be able to give a suggestion or two. The design will be inscribed using sand blasting, but I am not sure what to use as a blank. In other words, where do I find a glass disk that is about 2" in diameter with very flat faces. It would be best if the faces and the edge are polished. I found a manufacturer in China that will make them for me at a decent price, but they want me to buy a large quantity and shipping is a bit steep. Does anyone know anything that I can use off the shelf?

I am interested in making glass geocoins and was hoping that some of you might be able to give a suggestion or two. The design will be inscribed using sand blasting, but I am not sure what to use as a blank. In other words, where do I find a glass disk that is about 2" in diameter with very flat faces. It would be best if the faces and the edge are polished. I found a manufacturer in China that will make them for me at a decent price, but they want me to buy a large quantity and shipping is a bit steep. Does anyone know anything that I can use off the shelf?

Could always use the bottoms of cola/beer/wine/champagne bottles. It might be a little more difficult... and you would have to try real hard to get enough samples :D That would be pretty freakin' neat, though! I love sea glass that gets obliterated by the ocean currents and the sand and salt. Keep us updated.

juraf369 has a Czech glass geocoin they just released. Scroll down on, it's stll on the first page today. Maybe they have an idea for you.

Thanks,

I have seen those coins. My understanding is that the blanks were custom made, which would probably lead to a much more expensive coin. I am looking for something that is already being mass produced. For instance, it is easy to buy glass gems that look a bit like marbles, but are flat. I thought that I could use something like that, but I couldn't find anything the right size and flat enough. There are also Crystal Compass geocoins. Whatever they are using for blanks does not have polished edges, so they do it themselves. I am currently set up for engraving glass, though I don't have the ability to polish glass, or at least not yet.

If I can't identify anything, I will have to go with the Chinese manufacturer. I would rather not do that, because even though their price per unit is quite good, the overall cost is high. They also want me to wire them money, which makes me very nervous.

Google is your friend. I googled glass disc blanks, crystal blanks, and quartz blanks, and plenty of places came up. Maybe you have a local glass blower near you, who can make special orders. What's cheaper, paying for a few you will use, or buying way too many you may never use up?

Google is your friend. I googled glass disc blanks, crystal blanks, and quartz blanks, and plenty of places came up. Maybe you have a local glass blower near you, who can make special orders. What's cheaper, paying for a few you will use, or buying way too many you may never use up?

A local person may be the way to go. I live in Pittsburgh, which is trying to build up its glass community and I would rather deal with local people. I think that I will start contacting people and see if I can come up with something.

Thanks for the incentive.

Put me down for 1 in blue glass! Looking forward to see how your project come out.

Just call up any glass shop in your area. They use a diamond hole saw to cutout holes in glass/mirrors for electrical outlets. The size will be either 2" or 2 1/4" dia.

We used to throw the "plugs" out all the time. It's the hole we wanted. :)

Typically the thickness would be 3/16" or 1/4" depending on the material used.

Good luck!