How can I get more people to find my cache?

I know you have to hide an interesting cache in the first place to make it more likely that someone will find it but I still think its kind of lame that only 7 or 8 people have found mine in two months. I have seen other caches that have 20 finds in one or two months. Maybe its just because mine is not in a very popular area but still...I want more people to find it...

Edited by jacob501

I think not being in a popular area has everything to do with it. Caches around my local area generally only get a couple of visits a month just because there aren't many cachers around here. You'll see a brief flurry of finds on a new cache for the first week or two while the local cachers log it, then it generally slows down quite a bit with sporadic visits from out-of-town cachers. Probably nothing to do with the quality of your caches.

How does the find count on your caches compare with the traffic on other caches in your area?

Could you give us a bit more info on the cache, a link to the cache page, possibly? New swag is my first suggestion, but may not be applicable if it's a micro... Maybe putting a little more punch into the cache description. I'm more likely to go after a cache if it has a catchy name or particularly interesting description. Our 1st cache, "Itty Bitty Ditty", sounded more interesting than our 34th, "Ms. Linda's Cache #3".

Hmm. I think I may make an event cache out of this "How to Make a Better Cache". Think anyone would attend?

First thing to keep in mind is the weather. It hasn't exactly been nice and warm over the past couple of months. Not to mention all the recent rain we've had here on the east coast. So 7 or 8 people isn't bad. Things will start to pick up for you over the next 3 or 4 months. Give it more time before you worry about having a boring cache.

If you want more people to find your cache hide a micro in the local McDonalds parking lot. Some of the most interesting caches don't get a heck of a lot of finds. I have caches that are found 2-3 times a year, but the few people who find them seem to really enjoy them. Don't sweat it.

If you get a reputation for hiding interesting caches, people who like interesting caches will seek them out. You won't get the numbers hounds going after them so you won't see a lot of traffic.

It depends on what you are looking for as a cache owner.

Jacob,

Looks like those who have visited like it. Nice! Like wiseye said, hide a couple more. I believe one of your finders said the area needs more caches. Also, if it's by a fishing hole, it won't have the traffic that a lamp post at Wallmart will get, but it will get alot more smiles (that's real smiles, not smileys).

I know you have to hide an interesting cache in the first place to make it more likely that someone will find it but I still think its kind of lame that only 7 or 8 people have found mine in two months. I have seen other caches that have 20 finds in one or two months. Maybe its just because mine is not in a very popular area but still...I want more people to find it...

Do you want quantity finds or quality logs? I've archived caches that just weren't giving me logs worth reading or the finder a cache worth writing about. The log count ain't the measuring stick.

Unfortunately, the first two finders wrote that they never got the notification. Sometimes it happens when the email system goes down. It's possible that a lot of the locals don't even know it is there. It's a good cache, word will get out.

Also, you may want to reconsider your hint. If you don't want to leave a hint then just leave it blank. Most are put off by condescending or otherwise useless hints.

Some of the best logs I get and some of the most praise I get is on my remote caches that only see 2 to 5 visitors a year. That pleases me.

Even my most popular cache only sees 3 or 4 visitors a month.

I put out a new one last year near a historic marker along a US highway with ample parking nearby and only a short walk to the cache site. It took 7 weeks to see the first visitor and has only 9 in 10 months. Folks seem to like it though.

I have one mystery cache, one multi, and three earthcaches. The mystery cache has been found the most frequently, and the earthcaches have only been found a few times collectively. The multi has only been found a few times, but has been attempted many more times I'm aware of. It just has two hard stages.

Of all my caches, I'm thinking of archiving the mystery cache. The first to log it provided good logs (in fact, those folks have posted good logs on all my caches), but most everyone else that has found it hasn't put much at all. I hate those short logs, and I'm planning on archiving it partly because of it. I will be placing an entirely different one in its place that I'm hoping generates some good logs. I don't necessarily want a lot of logs, but I want people to think that my cache for whatever reason is worth writing about.

I read your cache description. You need to rewrite your description to make it seem more appealing. If I saw this cache, I wouldn't go for it either. It sounds like I won't be able to park and it sounds like I may end up bleeding. Maybe just leave out those extra details. Cachers are pretty good at finding their way.

Examples

1) difficult to find parking "There is a broken guard rail next to the cache and no room to park unless you use the following coordinates."

2) prickly "There are some thorns and brambles near the cache but if you go towards GZ at the right angle you shouldn't get hit too bad."

3) the hint needs to be helpful or no hint at all "Really?! I can't believed you just clicked "Decrypt"! Yes...I know what you are doing...you're trying to have an easier time at finding the cache! Its only a 2/2!!! Oh come on! Based on the description do you really think you need a hint!"

I have one mystery cache, one multi, and three earthcaches. The mystery cache has been found the most frequently, and the earthcaches have only been found a few times collectively. The multi has only been found a few times, but has been attempted many more times I'm aware of. It just has two hard stages.

Of all my caches, I'm thinking of archiving the mystery cache. The first to log it provided good logs (in fact, those folks have posted good logs on all my caches), but most everyone else that has found it hasn't put much at all. I hate those short logs, and I'm planning on archiving it partly because of it. I will be placing an entirely different one in its place that I'm hoping generates some good logs. I don't necessarily want a lot of logs, but I want people to think that my cache for whatever reason is worth writing about.

because it then hit the FTFs phone a friend network where he just gave the coords to them. they didn't solve the puzzle and were told where the cache was hid hence the uninteresting logs are just for the easy smilie.

Crbcyr ernyyl ungr jura crbcyr chg uvagf gung nera'g uvagf. N uvag orvat gung ybat naq fnlvat abguvat znxrf vg jbefr.

That is funny. I went back to look at the listing, right after my first reply and the listing has changed. It looks much better. I was going to offer some a more useful opinion that is not necessary now.

As for numbers, don't worry about it. 'You hide it and they will come'.

If you want more people to find your cache hide a micro in the local McDonalds parking lot. Some of the most interesting caches don't get a heck of a lot of finds. I have caches that are found 2-3 times a year, but the few people who find them seem to really enjoy them. Don't sweat it.

This is the best advice. The best caches I have hidden get the fewest logs because they don't appeal to the park n grab crowd.

Jacob, You have a great attitude as a younger cacher that wants to be more involved. Keep your spirit up. I don't know if you saw the post I entered on your "I want to go caching...." thread, but I really think if you can get your troop involved you can increase your caching opportunities. Good luck in your caching and in your scouting career.

mac367

If you get a reputation for hiding interesting caches, people who like interesting caches will seek them out. You won't get the numbers hounds going after them so you won't see a lot of traffic.

That's your answer. I can only speak for my area and assume other areas are similar, but I've been at this long enough to pretty much know which local cachers are going to find my more challenging caches. There are a few locals around here who love a challenge and go out of their way to get the tough. Then there are those who are only after the quickies. Then those sets intersect, there are a few around here who will find absolutely every single cache published, be it a wal-mart micro or a terrain 4 multi mile hike. Everyone has their tastes, and it's good that geocaching offers something for everyone.

I don't know if I have a reputation per se but I think quite a few people who have found caches of mine before would probably suspect that any new cache of mine probably has something to do with history, most likely railroad/steel/coal/coke era relics or an abandoned tunnel. I know I notice things like that. I don't want to mention any names, but there is a hider around here who has a penchant for hiding caches involving cemeteries, a few that are known for puzzles, a few known for micros, a few known for long hikes, etc. You get a feel for that over the years, and so people who have found your past caches might have some prejudice (either in favor of or against) with regards to any of your future hides. Of course there are also some hiders that are hard to peg, you never really know what to expect.

My most found cache is my roadside park and grab. There's a lot of history to it and some probably took the time to appreciate it, others just wanted a quick smiley, which is fine by me, as long as they had fun that's what it's all about. It has had 115 finds since being hidden on 4/12/2008 although it hasn't had a find since November. It's also right alongside a U.S. highway so it isn't just locals, anyone passing through via the route would probably notice this cache and stop in for a quick find. For contrast, a cache I hid on 9/1/2007 which is not TOO difficult a hike has only been found 35 times. A rather difficult cache I hid just over a year ago has only been found 8 times, and of those 2 favorited it.

Don't let it discourage you, hide good caches and people WILL appreciate them.

That's your answer. I can only speak for my area and assume other areas are similar, but I've been at this long enough to pretty much know which local cachers are going to find my more challenging caches. There are a few locals around here who love a challenge and go out of their way to get the tough. Then there are those who are only after the quickies. Then those sets intersect, there are a few around here who will find absolutely every single cache published, be it a wal-mart micro or a terrain 4 multi mile hike. Everyone has their tastes, and it's good that geocaching offers something for everyone.

I don't know if I have a reputation per se but I think quite a few people who have found caches of mine before would probably suspect that any new cache of mine probably has something to do with history, most likely railroad/steel/coal/coke era relics or an abandoned tunnel. I know I notice things like that. I don't want to mention any names, but there is a hider around here who has a penchant for hiding caches involving cemeteries, a few that are known for puzzles, a few known for micros, a few known for long hikes, etc. You get a feel for that over the years, and so people who have found your past caches might have some prejudice (either in favor of or against) with regards to any of your future hides. Of course there are also some hiders that are hard to peg, you never really know what to expect.

My most found cache is my roadside park and grab. There's a lot of history to it and some probably took the time to appreciate it, others just wanted a quick smiley, which is fine by me, as long as they had fun that's what it's all about. It has had 115 finds since being hidden on 4/12/2008 although it hasn't had a find since November. It's also right alongside a U.S. highway so it isn't just locals, anyone passing through via the route would probably notice this cache and stop in for a quick find. For contrast, a cache I hid on 9/1/2007 which is not TOO difficult a hike has only been found 35 times. A rather difficult cache I hid just over a year ago has only been found 8 times, and of those 2 favorited it.

Don't let it discourage you, hide good caches and people WILL appreciate them.

Agree. You have to figure out what you want to achieve with your cache, high numbers or a great unknown spot to bring under attention of others. It does not happen often that you can make a hide that has both.

My cache which took the most effort to make I am sure will get the least logs, but I don't mind. When two people visited the location due to geocaching I'm happy, since it is really beautifull location, but very remote in Croatia.

Numbers are great, but for me quality first, numbers second. If you can combine, great. I take the same approach when I go out searching for caches. Also in general I remember all caches where I had only one found in a day hike, but I do not remember any parking lots or McDonalds caches...

Happy hunting, Moose61

Yeah...does it look any better?

http://www.geocachin...19-9e361b2a884d

Much better! A small, but fun fishing picture might spruce it up even more.

JewFish3a.jpg

Hey can I use that picture?...cause im going too!

As far as I'm concerned, anyway. I just found it on the internet, as as we all know, anything on the Internet is public domain*.

*that is patently untrue, by the way. But using it on a cache page would almost certainly fall under the fair use conditions.

Jacob, little buddy, I just looked at your cache page... all this time you've been posting here, I never realized you were right down the road from me! (Actually, it's about 30 miles, but still...)

See if you can get your parents to take you to this event on May 1:

http://coord.info/GC2PKNY

It's not far from you, and it's for a good cause (cleaning up the environment). It will give you and your parents a chance to meet a lot of the local geocachers, many of whom have kids your age.

I'd say there's a good chance you will meet another family with kids that geocache, and you'll be able to go caching with them sometimes.

Jacob, little buddy, I just looked at your cache page... all this time you've been posting here, I never realized you were right down the road from me! (Actually, it's about 30 miles, but still...)

It's not far from you, and it's for a good cause (cleaning up the environment). It will give you and your parents a chance to meet a lot of the local geocachers, many of whom have kids your age.

I'd say there's a good chance you will meet another family with kids that geocache, and you'll be able to go caching with them sometimes.

Jacob, little buddy?? A bit patronizing.

My cache was 'out in the middle of nowhere' and once the local cachers had found it, got a few visits from other cachers who wrote some good logs.

(It's part of a series of caches across the United Kingdom, one in each county to find a final cache. 48 caches in all)

Recently a newish local cacher has set up a series of 16 caches on a 5.5 mile circle route, with my cache being a slight detour from the series. Most cachers include mine in the series, a few miss it out!

The latest logs are not as good as the older ones... :(

*I did make a Bookmark of the better local caches I had found, as a recommendation, to encourage people!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I know about the event and was actually planning on going! I also thought it would be a good way to meet people. And I also wanted to go because I've been to Harris Lake and it would be cool to pick up trash and then also cache, instead of just sitting around with people at a bar or restaurant awkwardly. But then, my parents just HAD to plan something for that weekend. I got kind of frustrated because I had really wanted to go...And theres no chance of me going because we're going kind of far away to see our relatives (which I could see the next week instead if I wanted too...its not that I don't like them but there isn't really a very special event going on that can't have the date changed...) Oh well, I will watch out for other events, especially CITO ones. But thats cool that you live near me...even if its 30 miles...

He doesn't seem to have minded.

I called him my buddy because I feel like I've gotten to know him through our interactions on this forum. I helped him with his homework, even.

As for "little," maybe you should take a look at his profile pic. Or just don't be so quick to look for offense where none was intended.

He doesn't seem to have minded.

I called him my buddy because I feel like I've gotten to know him through our interactions on this forum. I helped him with his homework, even.

As for "little," maybe you should take a look at his profile pic. Or just don't be so quick to look for offense where none was intended.

My profile picture was of like three years ago and my other picture on there is from 5-6 years ago...but im not offended! :)