Nevada & Ariziona must-do caches

ky.m.guy

Hello!

We're from Ontario, Canada and we're going to be in Nevada and Arizona this coming summer and were wondering if anybody can suggest any must-do caches. We're starting in Las Vegas, spending a week there. We may head up to the ET Power trail for a day and see what we can achieve there :). Also planning on making a trip to Zion National Park & Valley of Fire State Park.

We then are driving to Sedona, AZ where we're spending a week. We're planning on visiting the Grand Canyon for a couple of days.

If any locals can suggest any unique/cool caches with neat scenery or if you have any tips/"secret" spots that we wouldn't necessarily read about in the tourism books, please let us know!

Thanks so much in advance,

-Kyle

Well I hope someone chimes in and tells you of some not to be missed spots, but I would not recommend the ET power trail... It was archived last month. Might be kinda frustrating. Now you could go down and do some of the Route 66 Power trail. I just got back from there and enjoyed it a lot.

Well I hope someone chimes in and tells you of some not to be missed spots, but I would not recommend the ET power trail... It was archived last month. Might be kinda frustrating. Now you could go down and do some of the Route 66 Power trail. I just got back from there and enjoyed it a lot.

They asked about "must do" caches, not power trails. There are plenty of caches on the E.T Hwy, and they are spaced to where you can actually enjoy the scenery. There is also the 50-something Alien Head.

Vally of Fire SP is not to be missed. There is also The Old Spanish Trail off of exit 100 from I-15

Just make sure that you have sunscreen and plenty of water, even in the car.

Hello!

We're from Ontario, Canada and we're going to be in Nevada and Arizona this coming summer and were wondering if anybody can suggest any must-do caches. We're starting in Las Vegas, spending a week there. We may head up to the ET Power trail for a day and see what we can achieve there :). Also planning on making a trip to Zion National Park & Valley of Fire State Park.

We then are driving to Sedona, AZ where we're spending a week. We're planning on visiting the Grand Canyon for a couple of days.

If any locals can suggest any unique/cool caches with neat scenery or if you have any tips/"secret" spots that we wouldn't necessarily read about in the tourism books, please let us know!

-Kyle

Have you actually checked on the mileage/distances involved in this trip?

Plan on a 3 hour drive from Vegas to Zion and that is just 1 way, don't forget the return trip back to Vegas is another 3 hours.

Will you be flying into Las Vegas? Do you plan on doing a circular drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon to Sedona and then back to Vegas? Do you know which highways you will be using and what type of vehicle you will be driving?

Will you be visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or the South Rim?

John

Everything you need to see in Sedona you can see in 1 day. Ditto for the Grand Canyon unless you are going to backpack into the canyon. I have a son attending Northern AZ University in Flagstaff so I am partial regarding Flag. Make Flag your base of operations. Cheaper tham, Sedona. One day to Sedona and another at Grand Canyon. You can meet your cache count goals by picking caches in Flag. There are over 100. Must see: Wupaki / Sunset Crater. Not cache heavy, but you will learn about Native Americans and Volcanos

Everything you need to see in Sedona you can see in 1 day. Ditto for the Grand Canyon unless you are going to backpack into the canyon. I have a son attending Northern AZ University in Flagstaff so I am partial regarding Flag. Make Flag your base of operations. Cheaper tham, Sedona. One day to Sedona and another at Grand Canyon. You can by picking caches in Flag. There are over 100. Must see: Wupaki / Sunset Crater. Not cache heavy, but you will learn about Native Americans and Volcanos

Boy, it would really be sad to travel from Ontario Canada, to Nevada and Sedonia, just to "meet your cache count goals".

ky.m.guy has a chance to experience a terrain that is vastly different from his own. He asked about must see caches, not racking up numbers. I live in California, and have found a few hundred caches in Nevada. I also have a few finds in a lot of western states. I have seen things that the Earth has built as well as things that people built, some of it over 150 years old.

I have no problem with power trails, or building numbers, but when I am far from home, I prefer to find a cache that has some significance to it, even if it is the only cache I find in the area.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I read ky.m.guy's OP to mean that the itinerary is basically set, they just want to find the great caches that may be along the way.

BTW, ky.m.guy, if you do head up to Zion from Vegas, Virgin Gorge #4 I-15 Rest Area is a great place to take a pit stop.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the itinerary is basically set but we will have extra days as we're spending two weeks so I thought it'd be cool to maybe do part of the power trail north (but i see that it's archived). Thanks for your suggestions. If anybody thinks of any more, please don't hesitate to list them ;).

Thanks again,

Yes, Flagstaff has a lot of caches. Almost any of them in town will take you to interesting sites. I may not have expressed that well.

Sedona is pricy. If you don't have reservations it will be even pricier.

Flagstaff is centrally located from both Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

I am not into caching for numbers which is why I suggested Sunset Crater and Wupatki. It is a day trip. Bring lots of watewr, floppy hat and suncreen. Here are three caches to help you navigate. There are other equally interesting caches nearby.

Sunset Crater - GC6851

Wupatki - GC6852

Citadel Sink - GCZ5W5

Since you are going to the Grand Canyon I suggest you go to Williams (West of Flag off I-40) and take the historic train to Grand Canyon. During the Summer Grand Cayon parking is full and you may wait 2-3 hours to get in whereas the train takes you right there. Williams has some interesting caches too!

Hello!

-Kyle

If/when you go from Sedona to Flagstaff to Williams to Grand C NP, between Flag & Willams if you make a deviation N of I-40 at Bellemont, you can experience a 3/4 mile hike in a lava tube and get a virtual, traditional, & earthcache at this location. A great set of caches; but bring a light jacket & flashlight, for it is 32° - 42° inside & dark. Check them out to see it you might want this interesting deviation.

"A Journey To The Center Of The Earth" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7d958cef-97e1-4997-b106-dcd7edc566cb

"Lava River Cache" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5f64af91-311b-4ae9-a9bd-04d78805b94b

"Lava Tube" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d91acc0-68f3-49d0-a1cf-66596e501b3d

Gary

bedstefader skjule

I will echo the recommendations about the Valley of Fire. Earthcaching will take you on a nice tour of the area. The Virgin River Gorge is a nice drive on your way to Zion. At Zion, caching brought us to the main valley, but also took us to other areas of the park that were worth seeing. If you have time to visit Bryce, it is one of my favorite spots in the word, with Avalanche on Wall Street one of my favorite earthcaches.

If you can manage to get to Toroweap and the One Giant Step virtual, it offers a view that will never be forgotten. It was on my "bucket list" and we finally went there on our last trip to the area.

There is more than one cache that takes you to the Old Spanish Trail, but GCA6F8 is my favorite. I liked several of the caches in Red Rock Canyon, including Fred Flintstone Was Here. A special memory is not to be missed in Vegas. The Old Pioneer Saloon Cache in Goodspring, outside of Vegas, should not be missed if you take an interest in history or semi-ghost towns.

When we were in Sedona, there were caches at most of the Vortex points; ones that took us into Canyons, past ancient ruins, or beautiful formations.

Some of the recent caches in Sedona are pretty devious. We took a stab at one, but we decided the location was fine for other purposes, such as eating breakfast, but not really all that great as a cache location. We just weren't all that excited about standing in the unknown liquid leaking out of the dumpsters.

The Earthcache on Airport Mesa is a great overlook. There is a nearby cache that requires a bit of a huff and puff to reach on a rudimentary trail of sorts: Above the Vortex. We did not actually find the cache, we instead found a jar wrapped in tape under a pile of rocks complete with logbook, but it was still our favorite cache in Sedona.

The Boynton Pass trail does not have any caches, although there is one a short distance up nearby the Deadman's Pass trail, but we recommend doing it anyway. There are plenty of caches in the surrounding area, plus Oak Creek, Cottonwood, Clarkdale and Jerome are all close.

Hello!

-Kyle

If/when you go from Sedona to Flagstaff to Williams to Grand C NP, between Flag & Willams if you make a deviation N of I-40 at Bellemont, you can experience a 3/4 mile hike in a lava tube and get a virtual, traditional, & earthcache at this location. A great set of caches; but bring a light jacket & flashlight, for it is 32° - 42° inside & dark. Check them out to see it you might want this interesting deviation.

"A Journey To The Center Of The Earth" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7d958cef-97e1-4997-b106-dcd7edc566cb

"Lava River Cache" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5f64af91-311b-4ae9-a9bd-04d78805b94b

"Lava Tube" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d91acc0-68f3-49d0-a1cf-66596e501b3d

Gary

bedstefader skjule

I plan on checking these out...how is the camping there?

Hello!

-Kyle

Gary

bedstefader skjule

I plan on checking these out...how is the camping there?

There are undeveloped camping and picnicing spots in the Kaibab Nat forest. Visitors are welcome to use any of them, but may not camp within 1/4 mi from water unless in developed camp sites. If you require improvements, there are four developed campgrounds as well: Dogtown lake, White Horse lake, Kaibab lake, & Cataract lake(all are first-come first-served $16-$20/night). Cataract lake is the easiest accessible and closest to your lava tube deviation off I-40; it's just west of Williams, but also might be the first to fill up - no reservations in any of these campgrounds.

Gary

bedstefader skjule

I thought it'd be cool to maybe do part of the power trail north (but i see that it's archived).

Hmm, depending on when you are there, I think you may be pleasantly surprised at what is going to soon be popping up. ;)