Hosting an event?

Nichole1980

Hey guys/gals/cachers alike! I'm a fairly new cacher here, and I want to host an event in my small town of Otto/Franklin NC, since the closest meet and greets are usually 2 hours away. We have plenty of cachers out here that I would love to meet, so I was wondering if anyone who has hosted an event has any suggestions as to what should be going on during one, what are the best places to meet at, what sort of discussion questions should be asked, etc. Thanks in advance!

It also helps if the restaurant allows people to order at the counter and either pick up their order or have it delivered to their table when it's ready.

As for activities, keep it simple to let everyone spend more time socializing. An ice-breaker game can be fun, while helping people meet each other. (Geocacher bingo is a good one.) A door-prize raffle can be fun as long as it doesn't go on too long. Maybe a few other activities, depending on the length of the event, but avoid over-scheduling everything.

We like to offer some stick-on name labels too. Just simple paper peel-off, self adhesive ones. Many event regulars will know each other but I always think it helps break the ice if new cachers can see others' caching names - It provides an instant conversation starter when they recognise one...

"Ahha! You're SoandSo. We did your cache at...."

MrsB

Food. Drink. Tables. A place. A time. ---> about all you need.

A quick welcome speech maybe. Offer an expert or two for a class maybe. Quick door raffle maybe.

We just held our first meet & greet - very similar to this (we didnt have any experts or anything like that though). Our local geocaching supply store came out to the event as well & we asked everyone to bring some food. A handful of cachers came with a few doorprizes (thanks guys!). We had it at our strata clubhouse (which aside from the parking, has worked out to be a pretty good place to do these).

From what we saw, everyone had a pretty good time.

I also hid a couple of caches nearby & our local reviewer (who I cant thank enough!) was gracious enough to oblige me by releasing on schedule - which provided a really cool way to end the event - most of the attendees couldnt resist the urge and out the door almost everyone went to go have mmore fun chasing caches in the dark.