COINTEST: Design The Winning Icons, Win an AE Version!

AtlantaGal

I need 32x32 and 16x16 icons for the Oceanside Kitties geocoins. I have a few ideas, but thought I would run a cointest instead. If I choose your icons, you'll get a black nickel AE version free.

The Particulars:

- Icon entries must be posted in this thread.

- Icons must be either .jpg or .gif format.

- The two icons do NOT have to be the same image.

- Icons must be sized accordingly. It's ok to post larger comps for me to view, but your entry post must also include the 32x32 and 16x16 required sizes.

- You may enter as many different icon pairs as you like.

- Cointest ends 4/11/2011 at 9 p.m. EDT.

Eartha granted permission to have a separate thread for this cointest.

I need 32x32 and 16x16 icons for the Oceanside Kitties geocoins. I have a few ideas, but thought I would run a cointest instead. If I choose your icons, you'll get a black nickel AE version free.

The Particulars:

- Icon entries must be posted in this thread.

- Icons must be either .jpg or .gif format.

- The two icons do NOT have to be the same image.

- Icons must be sized accordingly. It's ok to post larger comps for me to view, but your entry post must also include the 32x32 and 16x16 required sizes.

- You may enter as many different icon pairs as you like.

- Cointest ends 4/11/2011 at 9 p.m. EDT.

Eartha granted permission to have a separate thread for this cointest.

spay-2-1.jpg

spay-1-1-1.jpg

hope the sizes are correct...working on 2nd entry

ILYK

Hi, AG --

Quick question: would AI or vector files of the original coin be available? (I can understand if you'd want to keep those, tho)

Never mind, I just realized that with the very large file you posted on the other thread, it's easy to trace over. : )

Here is my first submission. I may very well submit some others; I have to look at the coin again and ponder it -- and its message -- for a while.

32px:

ok-jg01_32px.gif

16px:

ok-jg01_16px.gif

Edited by Jackalgirl

Hi, AG --

Quick question: would AI or vector files of the original coin be available? (I can understand if you'd want to keep those, tho)

-- JG

I don't have adobe illustrator. So no. Everything I have is jpg. I hope you'll enter anyway since you have art ability.

Hi, AG --

-- JG

I don't have adobe illustrator. So no. Everything I have is jpg. I hope you'll enter anyway since you have art ability.

No problem; I realized I didn't need it anyway. But if you need a vectorized version of part or all of it, let me know. : )

spay-2-1.jpg

spay-1-1-1.jpg

ILYK

Howdy, Drneal --

Your first (small) graphics is 72x72px. Your second is 85x80px. Although I really like the fact that you're trying to get the message of the coin across, I'm thinking that even at 32x32px, it's going to be really hard, if impossible, to read (perhaps the "SPAY" will come across, but "neuter" will be hard to see). By way of example, here's your graphic at actual size:

ok-drneal01_32px.gif

(Pardon the color change. I was working out of the Pantone "solid coated" color set and "vivid purple" isn't one of the choices. ; )

If you're going to work small, I'd recommend against a serif font like Times New Roman. By their nature, serif fonts are somewhat "delicate", and at small scale the need to balance each letter's body against its serifs makes for a letter that's going to disappear. By contrast, here's your graphic using Comic Sans (which is the font that AG used on her coin):

ok-drneal01b_32px.gif

I also added a slight stroke to the letters (in other words, I outlined them in white) to make them slightly bolder -- so that they'd still be legible at 32px. You'll notice that the counters (the negative space) inside the "e"s fairly disappear, but that doesn't really matter. The shape of the "e" is recognizable enough that it should still be legible.

At 16 pixels, all of that is going to completely go away. It'll look like a pawprint with dots in it. Better to go with just a pawprint (though I'm betting there are already geocoins that use a pawprint, or pawprints, as icons*), or do something completely different for the 16px icon. As AG says, they don't have to be the same, which makes things a lot easier!

Hope this helps! I've been struggling with icons for a while, now, so I totally understand how difficult it is to design for really small sizes.

*looking at the icon list, amazingly, there are only two:

TheRodds Geocoin

3576.gif

The Rainbow Bridge Geocoin

1678.gif

(unless I missed one, which is entirely possible). Both coins' 16px icons are the same as their 32px with the exception of the Rainbow Bridge geocoin -- that one is a single cat paw print rotated about 40 degrees to the right on the blue circle. So you could probably get away with a straight-up-and-down purple pawprint, though it'd be kind of close to TheRodds. For what it's worth!

spay-2-1.jpg

spay-1-1-1.jpg

ILYK

Howdy, Drneal --

Your first (small) graphics is 72x72px. Your second is 85x80px. Although I really like the fact that you're trying to get the message of the coin across, I'm thinking that even at 32x32px, it's going to be really hard, if impossible, to read (perhaps the "SPAY" will come across, but "neuter" will be hard to see). By way of example, here's your graphic at actual size:

ok-drneal01_32px.gif

(Pardon the color change. I was working out of the Pantone "solid coated" color set and "vivid purple" isn't one of the choices. ; )

If you're going to work small, I'd recommend against a serif font like Times New Roman. By their nature, serif fonts are somewhat "delicate", and at small scale the need to balance each letter's body against its serifs makes for a letter that's going to disappear. By contrast, here's your graphic using Comic Sans (which is the font that AG used on her coin):

ok-drneal01b_32px.gif

I also added a slight stroke to the letters (in other words, I outlined them in white) to make them slightly bolder -- so that they'd still be legible at 32px. You'll notice that the counters (the negative space) inside the "e"s fairly disappear, but that doesn't really matter. The shape of the "e" is recognizable enough that it should still be legible.

At 16 pixels, all of that is going to completely go away. It'll look like a pawprint with dots in it. Better to go with just a pawprint (though I'm betting there are already geocoins that use a pawprint, or pawprints, as icons*), or do something completely different for the 16px icon. As AG says, they don't have to be the same, which makes things a lot easier!

Hope this helps! I've been struggling with icons for a while, now, so I totally understand how difficult it is to design for really small sizes.

*looking at the icon list, amazingly, there are only two:

TheRodds Geocoin

3576.gif

The Rainbow Bridge Geocoin

1678.gif

(unless I missed one, which is entirely possible). Both coins' 16px icons are the same as their 32px with the exception of the Rainbow Bridge geocoin -- that one is a single cat paw print rotated about 40 degrees to the right on the blue circle. So you could probably get away with a straight-up-and-down purple pawprint, though it'd be kind of close to TheRodds. For what it's worth!

Thank you jackalgirl...I hope all is well for you, and you're keeping safe. Talk in inches or mm and I'm fine...I don't know that I'll ever master the pixels...but I'll keep on trying!

ILYK

Oh, everything's as well as can be expected here. Trying to keep busy. ; )

With regards to measurements: the tricky thing about pixels is that the number of pixels depends on how many pixels your software is set to use per unit of measurement. For example, if your software is using 72 pixels per inch, then a 32px-wide graphic will be .444(repeating) inches wide. If you're working at 200 pixels per inch, then 32 pixels will be .16 inches wide.

So the trick is to find out, when you're exporting the graphic or using some kind of Save/Output function to save the pictures, how many pixels-per-inch it's using.

The small one is hardest I think. Try a shell or toy mouse maybe. Those were some of the things I was thinking of before the contest.

Some good ones do far!

I do have some shells traced out, but it just seemed weird without a cat. I think drneal got a good take on it. I'll keep plugging away. : )

you have to upload them first in a site in the net... something like photobucket! (it is free and you can easily register there!) and then when you save them you will see the links to use to post the photos here! :)

I hope this will help you! :)

Is the cointset still on? :)

Is the cointset still on? :)

Yes, until the 11th.

:laughing: yes! I just saw it! I am always messing the dates... we use to put the day forst and the month after so... the 4/11/11 is translated into 4th of November! :laughing: I only saw the 4 and....

Hmm... maybe then I will have to think and create a new icon..... if I can of course....hmmmm....:)

First shot at this one.. it's supposed to be a sun design with sun being both a cat's eye and the letter O, and a C (for Oceanside Cats)

wi2ds8.jpg

*Edited to note that I'm a slight idiot and put a C instead of a K.. it's oceanside kitties not cats..lol. Can easily be changed to a K with the K "arms" as sun beams**

Edited by sheltiedogshowlover

The winning icons for the coin edition are:

ok-jg01_32px.gif

and

ok-jg03_16px.gif

Congrats Jackalgirl. These are just perfect. Will include your AE prize in the shipment with the coin set you purchased.

There were several other really good submissions. Thank you to everyone who participated by creating icons. You've all done way better than I could have. I simply cannot work that small.

Yippee! AG, if you were to sell an AE, how much would you sell it for? And is there a local shelter who's been helping you out or otherwise provides cares to the abandoned cats in your area whom you like to support? (What I have in mind: donate the cost of the AE to that shelter, or to JEARS, the Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue & Support group working in northern Japan to help lost/abandoned/orphaned animals)