A Suggestion to Help the Approvers and Cache Hiders

RocketMan

I just got finished submitting three new caches and I wanted to leave a couple of special notes for the approver. But I saw no way of leaving notes without putting them directly in the cache description which I did not want to do.

Why not add a text box to the "Report a New Cache" page that is for special notes (like the actual coordinates for a multi) to the approver? In some cases, this will circumvent the approver having to e-mail the cacher with questions because they will be answered up front. This will expedite the approval process and help keep some of the cache approval gripes out of these forums.

Thanks,

Rocket Man

If you mark the infomation for the admins in some way they will delete it before they approve the cache.

I put approver only information in the Short Description box. Also posting that info in large Red letters makes it easy to see and delete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

If you mark the infomation for the admins in some way they will delete it before they approve the cache.

I put approver only information in the _Short Description_ box. Also posting that info in large Red letters makes it easy to see and delete.

Understood, but I would prefer to not take the chance that something that I don't want on my cache page (like acutal coordinates for a multi) might show up when the cache goes live. Also, I don't want someone else editing my HTML.

RM

Another way to leave a note is to post a note log to your page after you've created it. It's then real simple for the approver to just delete the note. Easier than putting the cache into edit mode and highlighting the correct text to be deleted.

The feature you're requesting has also been requested by the admins. We'll wait patiently, since these alternatives are available.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

I agree with Rocket Man. I don't like to take chances that it won't be deleted, plus I'd prefer to be the only one editing my HTML (even if it's boring.) I've only felt the need to add a note to the approver once, and I did it like Keystone Approver suggested--I put the details in a note on the page. I told a friend that I submitted the new cache, then went to bed. A few minutes later, she called me and told me the cache was approved and the note was still there with all the details. I quickly got up and deleted the note myself (BTW, thanks for the super fast approval on that one!) and within an hour or so she drove to the cache area, opened her door and grabbed the cache (much harder for most people.)

I'm glad she called me to tell me, otherwise a lot of people might have seen how the cache was hidden. I guess for now I'll just submit normally and let the approvers contact me if necessary.

It was also suggested to me that I might email one of the approvers that handles my area and tell them about the cache ahead of time (then have them work on the approval of that cache.)

quote:
the cache was approved and the note was still there with all the details.

I've gotta admit that with a lot of caches to approve mistakes do happen. There are two ways for the admins to approve caches on the approval queue. One is a "quick approve" link, the other requires clicking on the edit link on the cache page and typing a "YES" in a field that asks "do you approve this cache?". Obviously it's easier to do the first and move on to the next cache on the list, but then that deleting that note could be missed.

It's probably better if you want to post a note to the cache approver to do it in CAPS in the field of the cache text. Something link "NOTE TO ADMIN, PLEASE DELETE AFTER READING....." If I saw that I'd approve the cache the slow way and be sure to delete the added text in the process.

erik - geocaching.com admin

It's been suggested before and I'll back it again. Approvers can and have missed the please delete approver's note which on my cache was a spoiler.

I'd rather there be an approvers note field that is only seen by apprers and stays as part of the cache page. It would help if the cache was ever controversial and the feature cache of a "Why was this cache approved" thread.

When setting up a new cache. I leave the corrds for the second and third for the approvers use only and ask if they could delete before oking. The Admins oking mine have done a great job and quickly. I would like to think, by adding the corrds it helps them too.

ScurvyDog Lakewood,CA