Traffic Signs - Public, private, easement?

I'm confused and hoping that some more experienced cachers can help.

I am working on placing some caches on rural roads to point out lost history of the county. Most of these will be micros places on traffic signs along the road. These would be warning signs at bridges or high water signs in possible flooding areas. All have places where you can safely pull over and park to look for the cache.

I felt that these were ok placements as they were on public property in the easement of the street. Some fellow cachers don't agree. What are your opinions?

Also, occasionally I would like to place a cache in an abandoned cemetery. I have looked to see who is in charge of these cemeteries. Most are the property of the county and are taken care of by volunteers. Do I need to contact the county about placing a cache there?

Some places do not allow recreational activity in cemeteries. There's an awesome cemetery near where I live with some great history involved with it. Thought about placing a cache there but who owns the land all around it is in question. Anyhow, I would place the cache outside of the cemetery if it were me in that case.

As for road signs. You say you are doing this in a rural area? Are there really no better places to place the cache than the back of a sign? I've done a lot of road side caching in rural areas and typically I find people don't put their caches on signs here but find a more suitable place, sometimes which can hold a larger container even.

Also the easements are not necessarily public. You may have private landowners involved that even though the road has an easement they don't want the caches on "their" property. I would make sure if there's a neighbor they know what you're doing as well.

Usually the land the signs are on is on a road easment, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

And having had the county (the Sheriff) show up at my house after some local road signs had gone missing and my car had been in the area I know that at least the road signs in Clallam County are looked after (tracked?) by the Sheriff. I would imagine differnt areas and zoning districts would have differet 'owners'.

I also know that the DOT will not replace certain signs- There is a "Hooker Road" around my home town- people steal them too often. The county road sign that used to be by my house that may or may not have my actual first name on it. I did leave one side up. I took the back one off- so no one has really ever reported it missing- I should probably put that back up at some point.

I also know that the DOT will not replace certain signs- There is a "Hooker Road" around my home town- people steal them too often. The county road sign that used to be by my house that may or may not have my actual first name on it. I did leave one side up. I took the back one off- so no one has really ever reported it missing- I should probably put that back up at some point.
There's a Palo Alto neighborhood near Stanford that had the same problem. The streets are named after various colleges/universities, and the signs kept disappearing. The city's solution was to change the design of the signs. Instead of making them sturdier and harder to steal, they made them extremely flimsy. The result is that anyone trying to steal a sign as a "souvenir" ends up ruining the sign, which destroyed its value as a "souvenir". Street signs stopped disappearing.

Just because the road has an easement doesn't mean that we have the right to use the property for a recreational activity. Also, just because the sign is there doesn't mean we have the right to leave the roadway at that location. It is always best to reach out to whoever owns the property. Think about how you would feel if a bunch of strange people showed up in front of your house and you had no clue why.

In my neighboring city of Santa Clarita, Ca, the signs for Jennifer Pl. kept disappearing. The city finally put in a 15' pole with the sign on top. No one has touched it in years.

Some places do not allow recreational activity in cemeteries. There's an awesome cemetery near where I live with some great history involved with it. Thought about placing a cache there but who owns the land all around it is in question. Anyhow, I would place the cache outside of the cemetery if it were me in that case.

I seem to recall that there is at least one state where any recreational activity is outlawed statewide, but I can't recall which. That would encompass, I would imagine, anything from geocaching to frisbee. I think it was in the south, perhaps Georgia or Alabama.

I can't recall a single cache I have found that was actually IN a cemetery, most I've found are in nearby tracts of forest, and I think that's the best place for them.

I seem to recall that there is at least one state where any recreational activity is outlawed statewide, but I can't recall which. That would encompass, I would imagine, anything from geocaching to frisbee. I think it was in the south, perhaps Georgia or Alabama.

Wow! What a boring place to live!! :unsure:

:lol:

haha, of course I MEANT any such activity is prohibited in a cemetery.

Tennessee.

Some places do not allow recreational activity in cemeteries.

I know you are correct, however I have never understood this as one of the intentions of cemeteries was/is for recreational purposes.

I never got it either, many of the larger cemeteries here in Pennsylvania double as parks. One in particular I drive by every day I VERY frequently see people jogging, walking their dogs, etc. I have loved ones interred there and I am not the slightest bit offended by it, in fact I'm sure my loved ones would be smiling that people were enjoying the area. I understand that in many religions such grounds are hallowed and sacred, but honestly I see no disrespect in allowing the living to enjoy the park.

I'm confused and hoping that some more experienced cachers can help.

I am working on placing some caches on rural roads to point out lost history of the county. Most of these will be micros places on traffic signs along the road. These would be warning signs at bridges or high water signs in possible flooding areas. All have places where you can safely pull over and park to look for the cache.

I felt that these were ok placements as they were on public property in the easement of the street. Some fellow cachers don't agree. What are your opinions?

Some fellow cachers will never agree about anything.

There was a cache on a stop sign, somewhere, nearby. CO would watch out his window, and e-mail female finders, expressing an interest in meeting them for a drink. Even the ones three times his age...

Used to be a county road near here numbered 666. The signs kept disappearing, so they renumered the road 645, and have not had a problem since.

SC bans Geocaching in cemeteries. I wish we could because theres lots of cool ones around with lots of graves I would love to highlight.

Could you build some Puzzles using the grave markers? Or would they count that in the ban?

We are not allowed to do that either. If you look at my recent finds I just did 5 in Charlotte, NC just like that and would love to do that here.

There are two virtuals taht were thankfully grandfathered

Cemeterys are also boring places to live, aren't they?

SC bans Geocaching in cemeteries. I wish we could because theres lots of cool ones around with lots of graves I would love to highlight.

Could you build some Puzzles using the grave markers? Or would they count that in the ban?

We are not allowed to do that either. If you look at my recent finds I just did 5 in Charlotte, NC just like that and would love to do that here.

Seriously? I can see how they can make it illegal to hide a physical cache in a cemetery, but how can they make it illegal to visit the cemetery? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Seriously? I can see how they can make it illegal to hide a physical cache in a cemetery, but how can they make it illegal to visit the cemetery? That just doesn't make sense to me.

That would almost be like making it illegal to go to the cemetary to do ancestry research. I guess I'm also not seeing how it's harmful to go and read graves for information...

We have a Beers road near here that has been stolen 15 or so times. They have since elevated the sign 15 feet up. It's only been stolen 3 times since.

I went to agrammar school in San Jose, CA called "Quito School". There was sign out front with individual letters on a stone wall. About once a year someone would steal the "o" from the first word.

Most of these will be micros places on traffic signs along the road.

I have no opinion on the legal/not legal question. I do think that in a rural area, you can create something more interesting than a micro on a road sign.

I agree. However, the rural roadside micro is becoming quite popular. As a matter of fact, I was just looking at an area I'll be passing through this summer (West Central Vermont). I'd dare say it's the most dominant cache type in them parts.