iPod touch and geocaching.

Ken n Nadine

I am just getting into geocaching. I have a very basic GPS unit. I print out info on the cache to take with me.

Is there a file format that i could get of the cache details that i could save to my iPod touch? Such as a plain text

file or a PDF file. Then I could access the cache details from my iPod instead of taking printed copies with me.

Thanks for any help...Ken N Nadine

Your best bet is to pay the $9.99 for the Geocaching app. Its well worth the money and has been priceless for me while i've been out caching. I cache with an eTrex Legend H and my iTouch. With the app you can browns caches and save them to a favorites list for use when your out in the field. If you upgrade to a premium membership you'll have acess to PQ. With a PQ (Pocket Query) you can pull up to 1000 caches with parameters you define. You'll be able to upload that info directly to the iTouch and to your GPSr. Depending on your unit will determine how to install the file.

After reading this topic I decided to purchase the Geosphere app for my itouch as well. After I downloaded a pocket querie to it and added the group, I am now unable to figure out how to open the group to view my caches. Can someone plese tell me how to do this? Am I missing a step? I've been trying to figure out how to do this for the last hour. I know it's probably something so simple. Thanks.

Hi I use the etrex h in conjunction with the iphone app, what I do is work out where my start point is going to be then do a search for nearby caches on the iphone and then turn off the gps in the iphone as it kills the battery fast, then manually enter the coordinates into the etrex. This method allows me to cache all day and also be paperless as I can still view cache info and post field logs using the internet on the phone.

Dan

After reading this topic I decided to purchase the Geosphere app for my itouch as well. After I downloaded a pocket querie to it and added the group, I am now unable to figure out how to open the group to view my caches. Can someone plese tell me how to do this? Am I missing a step? I've been trying to figure out how to do this for the last hour. I know it's probably something so simple. Thanks.

If i understand your problem right try this. In Geosphere touch on Search at bottom of screen. If nothing listed touch on Filters in the upper left hand corner of screen. You should then see all the groups you have available with the number of caches in each group. Tap the group you want to select it and then tap done. The caches should now be listed in the search window.

Hope that helped.

Hi I use the etrex h in conjunction with the iphone app, what I do is work out where my start point is going to be then do a search for nearby caches on the iphone and then turn off the gps in the iphone as it kills the battery fast, then manually enter the coordinates into the etrex. This method allows me to cache all day and also be paperless as I can still view cache info and post field logs using the internet on the phone.

Dan

Buy yourself a cable for the Etrex Dan, will save you having to get sore fingers entering the codes in manually

I have the geosphere app on my touch. {snip} and pocket queries are the way to do this.

Another vote for that app and PQs. Both make things oh so EASY!!

+1

One thing I really like is being able to take snapshots of the maps while on Wi-Fi and save them for later viewing.

To do this, set a target and then click the GPS icon at the bottom left. When you have a map image you want to keep, just click the camera in the upper left.