What's the most unique geocache you have found?

This is subject that is always of interest to me. With over 1.3 million caches out in the wild, there really is little that is truly unique. A better way to go is to look for ideas that are unique to your area. For ideas I suggest going through the epic Cool Caches thread.

As for unique caches I've found (some should be familiar to the regulars here):

• A cache that in the cavity of a statue in the center of an intersection.
  • A statue that had a built-in geocache.
  • A pipe on a tree near a stream where you had to fill the pipe with water to float the cache. Yes, pipe had holes in it.
  • A pipe attached to a telephone pole that required attaching a battery for the bison tube to winch down out of the pipe.
  • A monkey puzzle where you had get the balls out of the locked container to retrieve the combination for the container.
  • A locked box that required plugging in headphones to hear the combination.
  • A cache in a book in a library.
  • A UFO cache suspended in a tree, in the woods.
  • A cryptex container at the end of a movie-based mystery.
  • A cache at the top of a flag pole (at a bank that went out of business).
  • A fake rebar holding a some protective fencing around a small tree.
  • An extremely well executed power junction box at the base of sign on a busy corner. Paint and parts matched perfectly.
  • A multi-stage cache that involved winching down a container out of a tree that contained a tool to retrieve a cache at the bottom of a pipe.
  • A cache where you pull a hidden string to bring up the container in the inside.
  • A secret compartment built into a log that opened to reveal a disney character.
  • A cache was one of those nut can's where the snake springs out.
  • A fur wrapped cache in a place you have to reach in blindly to grab it.

In looking through my list of finds, often what made a 'unique' cache stand out was how well it was executed. An extremely well-executed cache is unique, even if the underlying idea is familiar. Details matter.

As for containers, I recall a multi I found a few years back where the first stage was a container placed into a log, I mean the log was cut out enough for the container to be placed in, then placed face down on the ground. Looked like an ordinary log, very well camo'ed indeed.

Just yesterday I found a pretty unique guardrail hide. I don't know what the heck the thing was but it was magnetic and to open it you had to unscrew the threaded top.

Somewhat on topic I guess I have found 2 caches that were in some sort of cylindrical tubes that were both similar. Anybody know what these things were? I forget how they latched on top but they were rather large, the size of a medium ammo can I'd say but cylindrical. They were about the right color (green or brown I think) to be Army surplus but I don't recall any markings on them. I've only ever seen them on 2 hides.

Two of my own, which I suppose are not unique.

The first one consists of 50mm (2 inch)) dia' PVC tubing, three lengths, joined in a U shape, the two vertical lengths about 1m (3 feet) high, the horizontal piece about 300mm (12 inch))long, all joined with two stock PVC 90º joiners. One end of the vertical pieces is cut jagged, the other 90º. Placed in the jagged cut side is a aluminium vitamin tube container, with some tape wrapped around it to fit the tube, to prevent the cache container jamming in the joiner there is some fly screen mesh at the bottom of the tube. When you blow hard down the 90º cut tube the cache container shoots up and out of the other tube..All of this is camo painted, and attached to some small shrubs with zip ties.

The other one is a single piece of 50mm PVC, about 1m long, the base is sealed with a standard end plug, the top has a standard push on plug that has a powerful magnet glued into the top of it. The actual cache is an aluminium vitamin tube container, with a small magnet taped to the side, the idea is that you remove the top piece and use it to slide the container up and out of the tube. Once again this one is camo painted and attached to a small dead tree with cable ties.

Given that I only have 16 finds, I don't have much to choose from. I'd say my find known as "Whistle Stop" would one of the two most unique ones I found. Of course it's been archived now since the building it was behind as burned down not too long ago.

You know those magnetic stickers on metal objects? Ones with serial numbers? The log was hidden behind that--you had to peel it off and get the log.

The other was my only cemetery find located IN the fence post (the top came off the post).

I think one of the more unusual ones I found was a flashlight hidden in a guard rail. You had to open the flashlight, take out the batteries, and pry one of them open. The log was hidden in the battery. Rather a backwoods guard rail. When I was there, a lady stopped to lecture me about bear contraception.

if you take suggestions from people in the forums, then your cache is not likely to be unique, right? All you are doing is copying what other people have done.

Of my cache hides, I believe that about 2 are original with me. It's just hard to do a container or hiding spot that nobody has thought of before.

A good way to make a cache unique is to use a unique puzzle. I have about 6 or 7 puzzles that are completely original with me, and not in any way a copy (even in theme) of somebody else's.

Before this topic gets too off-track...

There isn't a need to be totally, in-the-universe. original. It just needs to be unique to the area, to be 'unique'.

Also, often what separates the good from the great caches is execution. Better attention to details can make a cache 'unique'.

Edited by Ecylram

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but by asking for unique ideas for caches, you are guaranteeing that your cache will not be unique. :) Think about it. :)

Not to mention "most" unique. How does that work?

EVEN MORE BAGGING ON!? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i knew you guys would still be (potty mouth language deleted by moderator) (: Thanks to the people who answered the question instead of making me feel stupid.

Edited by mtn-man

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but by asking for unique ideas for caches, you are guaranteeing that your cache will not be unique. :) Think about it. :)

Not to mention "most" unique. How does that work?

EVEN MORE BAGGING ON!? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i knew you guys would still be (potty mouth language deleted by moderator) (: Thanks to the people who answered the question instead of making me feel stupid.

Visit the CCC thread and ignore the chatter. Many people here aren't happy unless they're bashing others.

Edited by mtn-man

Many people here aren't happy unless they're bashing others.

Was that a bash? :ph34r:

To respond to the point of not being able to come up with any unique ideas by asking here in the forums... you are absolutely wrong. Great ideas are often the seeds for other great ideas. Sure... if you copy someone else's idea, you haven't made anything unique, but if you can take a good idea and build on it, you sure have. Its part of the creative process... nothing wrong with it at all.

Don't worry about the bashers in here. They've probably DNFed all the uniqe hides they've attemted. I appreciate any cacher that puts the time and effort into a unique hide even if it's not truly a one of a kind unique hide, most of us get what you are saying. That is hard to do these days, but keep trying. It has been mentioned in this thread already, but here is a link to a thread that should keep you busy for quite a while.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421