Windows Phone 7 v2.2 Release

If you have not done so already, please write - individually - to contact@Groundspeak.com. Mark your subject lines "WP7 Issues/PM". We would like to address the fact that you have had ongoing app issues and have paid for PMs.

Cheers, all. We have a tentative release date close - all going well with current testing.

I just did so. Had this been suggested weeks ago, I believe you would have prevented a lot of frustration.

If you have not done so already, please write - individually - to contact@Groundspeak.com. Mark your subject lines "WP7 Issues/PM". We would like to address the fact that you have had ongoing app issues and have paid for PMs.

Cheers, all. We have a tentative release date close - all going well with current testing.

I just did so. Had this been suggested weeks ago, I believe you would have prevented a lot of frustration.

You have always had the option to email us directly as others have. I just wanted to highlight this option as we get closer to release.

You have always had the option to email us directly as others have. I just wanted to highlight this option as we get closer to release.

Obviously, either I didn't know/think about this. Why have a forum if it isn't going to be seen? Obviously it is seen, because you've responded... So why the need for a separate communication? You couldn't pass along the frustration? This whole thing makes little sense. If there was concern for customer satisfaction, there would be no need for a separate communication. Don't make the customer work to get your attention.

I used to be a supervisor in a customer support call center, and I would have chewed my people out if customers were made to take extra steps to get our attention.

Obviously, either I didn't know/think about this. Why have a forum if it isn't going to be seen? Obviously it is seen, because you've responded... So why the need for a separate communication? You couldn't pass along the frustration? This whole thing makes little sense. If there was concern for customer satisfaction, there would be no need for a separate communication. Don't make the customer work to get your attention.

I used to be a supervisor in a customer support call center, and I would have chewed my people out if customers were made to take extra steps to get our attention.

I understand that the extra step frustrates you, but it is to ensure that all users following this thread get individual service related not to the app itself but to their memberships.

You have (had) our attention in this thread about the app, but we need to address your memberships individually. Contacting us individually is the way that we will ensure this is done.

When are updates appear???

I just received an email that they are submitting to Microsoft today, so we should see an update within a week. My experience with the last several updates that I have submitted for my apps is that Microsoft is taking 24-48 hours to approve an app to be published, not including weekends. It's probably too late for it to turn around today, so I would expect it to be Monday or Tuesday.

I too have sent an email to Groundspeak in the last few minutes.

I just received an email that they are submitting to Microsoft today, so we should see an update within a week. My experience with the last several updates that I have submitted for my apps is that Microsoft is taking 24-48 hours to approve an app to be published, not including weekends. It's probably too late for it to turn around today, so I would expect it to be Monday or Tuesday.

That's good news hopmedic - hopefully all this angst and frustration will all be over in a few days. As with any app, there will still be bugs and missing features (and, in this case, updates to make use of Mango-specific capabilities) - I look forward to having a much better turnaround time. If you look back on some of my posts you'll see my concern has not just been for the instability of v2.2 but on feature delivery to a defined roadmap and the timely fixing of bugs. We still haven't received any reassurance on this score and I look forward to Groundspeak being substantially more open about plans for this app.

I too have sent an email to Groundspeak in the last few minutes.

That's good news hopmedic - hopefully all this angst and frustration will all be over in a few days. As with any app, there will still be bugs and missing features (and, in this case, updates to make use of Mango-specific capabilities) - I look forward to having a much better turnaround time. If you look back on some of my posts you'll see my concern has not just been for the instability of v2.2 but on feature delivery to a defined roadmap and the timely fixing of bugs. We still haven't received any reassurance on this score and I look forward to Groundspeak being substantially more open about plans for this app.

Yes, it is good news. To be clear, though, as Sandy has said, there will be NO Mango features implemented in this release. That is not Groundspeak's fault, though. Even though there are thousands of us walking around with Mango on our phones, even we do not have Mango-enabled apps unless we side-load them, because Microsoft is not accepting submissions to the Marketplace that implement any Mango features until August 22. I wish that meant that Mango would be released then, however it won't. I suppose that as disappointing as that is, it is good on Microsoft's part, since it will allow devs to get Mango apps, but not consumers, which will allow them to work the bugs out of Mango in the Marketplace, prior to consumers being exposed to it.

Also, I predict that the rollout of Mango will be much smoother than the rollout of NoDo (unless you are a Sprint or Verizon customer, in which case your phone came with NoDo). There is always the chance that carriers can prove me wrong, because unlike Apple, Microsoft's OS is subject to more control by the carriers. We'll see how this turns out, but I do expect it to be much better (especially for people with Samsung Focus v 1.4, who just recently got NoDo).

Dear Groundspeak: I have a suggestion. Give us a roadmap, tell us what features you are working on, and what ones you may consider. You only stand to benefit by the feedback you could receive, and since there are developers who take part, you could find that they have some great ideas on implementation. You do not have the market cornered on good ideas. Keep us informed and we will be happier. </RANT>

Oh - one more thing - the Compass API is available in Mango, so those of us who understand that it is now going to be available will expect to see an update enabling the magnetometer instead of the compass that is based on motion relative to the constellation. Devs should keep in mind also that the magnetometer is not a baseline Windows Phone requirement (though I believe all current models do have it), so their code should check the device to see if it is supported. If not, use current method. If so, use magnetometer. This would greatly increase accuracy for us.

Edited by hopmedic

Yes, it is good news. To be clear, though, as Sandy has said, there will be NO Mango features implemented in this release. That is not Groundspeak's fault, though. ... (remainder of post removed for the sake of brevity.)

Sorry, I didn't word my post very well. I'm well aware there are not going to be any Mango features in this release - I've also read Sandy's posts. I was merely pointing out there's a long way to go with this app including, in the future, the implementation of Mango-specific features. As you and I have both said on a number of occasions - give us a roadmap please Groundspeak!

I just sent my last 2 posts to them by email, as well, and with a statement at that top asking them to take the request to show us a roadmap seriously.

I do believe the time is gone where you keep your customers in the dark as to what is coming, unless you are in an industry where competition is stiff and opening up would cost you. Groundspeak certainly does not have the competition to worry about when it comes to something like this. Other things maybe, but not app features.

Oh - one more thing - the Compass API is available in Mango, so those of us who understand that it is now going to be available will expect to see an update enabling the magnetometer instead of the compass that is based on motion relative to the constellation. Devs should keep in mind also that the magnetometer is not a baseline Windows Phone requirement (though I believe all current models do have it), so their code should check the device to see if it is supported. If not, use current method. If so, use magnetometer. This would greatly increase accuracy for us.

I thought that the magnetometer was a WP7 requirement?

We are submitting the app to Microsoft for review early this week, and hope to have it on the market shortly thereafter.

I don't usually like to post release notes in advance, but I realize many of you are naturally becoming a little impatient to see an update soon. Once the update is reviewed by Microsoft the new version 2.3 will feature the following:

New features:

• Favorite points display for geocache listings

• Option to set the default map view preference

• Trackables support for picking up and visiting Trackables in caches

• Display of smiley icons on map pins for caches you found

Bug fixes:

• Several stability issues causing server connection errors and affecting offline cache usage have been addressed

Please know we're doing everything we can to release this update as quickly as possible. Thanks!

I thought that the magnetometer was a WP7 requirement?

I had been under the impression that the magentometer was a baseline hardware requirement, but when I wrote this post, I was looking at the API in the Microsoft docs, and one of the notes it had was that it was possible that a phone may not have one. I suspect that perhaps there may be phones coming at the lower end without it, but that would be nothing more than speculation on my part. But I, like you, thought it was a baseline requirement until I read that comment in the MS Docs.

We are submitting the app to Microsoft for review early this week, and hope to have it on the market shortly thereafter.

I don't usually like to post release notes in advance, but I realize many of you are naturally becoming a little impatient to see an update soon. Once the update is reviewed by Microsoft the new version 2.3 will feature the following:

New features:

• Favorite points display for geocache listings

• Option to set the default map view preference

• Trackables support for picking up and visiting Trackables in caches

• Display of smiley icons on map pins for caches you found

Bug fixes:

• Several stability issues causing server connection errors and affecting offline cache usage have been addressed

Please know we're doing everything we can to release this update as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Thanks for the update. These look good... though the most important is the last. However, it would still be nice if you would set up a roadmap, or something where we could provide input for future updates. The way I see it, Groundspeak could only benefit from the input of their users. And as I said before, since some of us are WP Devs, if you were more open about things, you might find that we could all benefit.

Here's an example - the ability to manually input coords. Would be helpful for multi-caches.

Edited by hopmedic
New features:

Favorite points display for geocache listings

- Yay!!!
Option to set the default map view preference
- Nice
Trackables support for picking up and visiting Trackables in caches
- THANK YOU!!! (I don't remember seeing this "suport forum" topic "started", but it is great that it is coming!)
Display of smiley icons on map pins for caches you found
- good, but really should have been in the very first version.

Bug fixes:

Several stability issues causing server connection errors and affecting offline cache usage have been addressed

- Exelent. That will hopefully reduce the nasty grams on these threads. Edited by Andronicus

I used the app just fine on my Trophy until this weekend. I hadn't used it for several weeks. Then this Sunday, I started getting the server errors. I reinstalled an cannot even log in, now.

Please send an email to contact@Groundspeak.com with WP7 App Bug in the subject line, so that we can work with you on this matter.

I hope GS has someone who can light a fire under the M$ folks. 10 days seems excessive. :huh:

Not to mention it's getting harder to locate this thread, as I scroll past the 4 iPhone and 7 Android Release Notes updates that have taken place since. :o

I empathize with your frustration! We continue to wait patiently for their approval. I suspect it is coming very soon.

Well, I've been watching this thread for quite some time, but I feel growing frustration now. Because of GCWP7 being one of the priciest apps and the crippled demo version I sideloaded the app at first to try it. It worked fine, I found one test cache, so I decided to buy and problems started. Whenever I launch navigation for a cache (map or compass), I have to prevent the phone from locking or terminating the navigation in any other way (launching another app, visiting cache list inside it again or whatever), because it just freezes on the second attempt to navigate. Phone has to be rebooted.

Bing Maps choice in Europe is a question of its own, because I usually navigate on a greenish pixelized overzoomed blur, rather over a decent aerial or vector map.

I've been silent until now, but now I feel that GS is applying the "promise never hurts" strategy on us. The new version of this PAID and EXPENSIVE app should be out at the beginning of August (hoped to use it on my holiday, failed though, been only able to track the simplest and obvious caches), than we were informed, that the developement has been halted only to be assured, that it's going to be released in Augusts 3rd week. Which by the way is already gone and still nothing. Now Microsoft is being blamed for the delay, although I have not heard about an approval delay this long (oh yes, I'm also a WP7 developer).

TIP: Why is a log creation within the app an offline process and the log has to be sent later manually again? It should be online and saved only if no connection is currently available.

Finnfive: I suspect Groundspeak being much faster with Android and iPhone has one and only reason... These platforms offer hard competition with alternative GC apps, when on WP7 there's no reasonable alternative.

Edited by AmorFati

Well, I've been watching this thread for quite some time, but I feel growing frustration now. Because of GCWP7 being one of the priciest apps and the crippled demo version I sideloaded the app at first to try it. It worked fine, I found one test cache, so I decided to buy and problems started. Whenever I launch navigation for a cache (map or compass), I have to prevent the phone from locking or terminating the navigation in any other way (launching another app, visiting cache list inside it again or whatever), because it just freezes on the second attempt to navigate. Phone has to be rebooted.

Bing Maps choice in Europe is a question of its own, because I usually navigate on a greenish pixelized overzoomed blur, rather over a decent aerial or vector map.

I've been silent until now, but now I feel that GS is applying the "promise never hurts" strategy on us. The new version of this PAID and EXPENSIVE app should be out at the beginning of August (hoped to use it on my holiday, failed though, been only able to track the simplest and obvious caches), than we were informed, that the developement has been halted only to be assured, that it's going to be released in Augusts 3rd week. Which by the way is already gone and still nothing. Now Microsoft is being blamed for the delay, although I have not heard about an approval delay this long (oh yes, I'm also a WP7 developer).

TIP: Why is a log creation within the app an offline process and the log has to be sent later manually again? It should be online and saved only if no connection is currently available.

Finnfive: I suspect Groundspeak being much faster with Android and iPhone has one and only reason... These platforms offer hard competition with alternative GC apps, when on WP7 there's no reasonable alternative.

I'm with you on the suspicion about Microsoft being at fault for delay. As I stated above, I submitted three updates on Thursday of last week. Two of them were published on Friday evening, and one was published Monday afternoon. There's no delay there at all. In fact, approval has gotten FASTER in recent times. My first app took 5 days to publish. The last several times I've updated all of my apps, it has not gone past 48 weekday hours.

While we're waiting for this new version, can someone explain why the current version requires access to my "music and video library"? "location services" and "data services" makes perfect sense. "phone identity" I can kinda understand, though the app surely doesn't need that, just GS want to collect some data and spy on their users, but "music and video library"?!? Or is it just that the person who wrote it was lazy and selected all privileges rather than those that the application REALLY needs?

See what happens when you keep techie people waiting too long? They start getting bored and inquisitive!

While we're waiting for this new version, can someone explain why the current version requires access to my "music and video library"? "location services" and "data services" makes perfect sense. "phone identity" I can kinda understand, though the app surely doesn't need that, just GS want to collect some data and spy on their users, but "music and video library"?!? Or is it just that the person who wrote it was lazy and selected all privileges rather than those that the application REALLY needs?

See what happens when you keep techie people waiting too long? They start getting bored and inquisitive!

My guess on that one would be that the devs forgot to remove that from the WMAppManifest.xml file. I see no need for it to be there. But when you create a project, all of the capabilities are listed in WMAppManifest, and it is up to the dev to remove them.

Phone Identity would be required if they were running ad banners, but they're not. User Identity would be, too, and surprisingly, Phone Calling is as well (I didn't like that when I saw it on my apps).

Edited by hopmedic

Sandy - for transparency given the attention this already has, can you give us some more information about what the "roadblock" is?

We submitted the app, and it was denied. We appealed the decision and it was denied. We are working on the detail that needs to be addressed.

Sandy - for transparency given the attention this already has, can you give us some more information about what the "roadblock" is?

We submitted the app, and it was denied. We appealed the decision and it was denied. We are working on the detail that needs to be addressed.

Fair enough. I haven't had an app rejected yet, but I know the time will come. I just wish we could convince GS to be more open, as there are several of us who are willing to lend suggestions. It's a shame they have to be so secretive.

Fair enough. I haven't had an app rejected yet, but I know the time will come. I just wish we could convince GS to be more open, as there are several of us who are willing to lend suggestions. It's a shame they have to be so secretive.

We have already reached out to several users about possible/potential beta testing once Microsoft sets up those capabilities, and have heard directly from several users who have been helpful in troubleshooting.

We have already reached out to several users about possible/potential beta testing once Microsoft sets up those capabilities, and have heard directly from several users who have been helpful in troubleshooting.

Once Microsoft sets up those capabilities.... I'm puzzled. Microsoft added the ability to do a restricted beta with up to 99 users on 7/18/2011. More than a month ago. Even before that, if you wanted people to beta your app, you could send people with developer unlocked phones the xap file, and they could side-load it for testing.

Once Microsoft sets up those capabilities.... I'm puzzled. Microsoft added the ability to do a restricted beta with up to 99 users on 7/18/2011. More than a month ago. Even before that, if you wanted people to beta your app, you could send people with developer unlocked phones the xap file, and they could side-load it for testing.

You are absolutely 100% right. I erred.

We are currently compiling the list of beta testers. As this comes at a time when we are trying to get the next version of the app live, onboarding testers has been delayed.

You are absolutely 100% right. I erred.

We are currently compiling the list of beta testers. As this comes at a time when we are trying to get the next version of the app live, onboarding testers has been delayed.

Also, it doesn't have to be developers only doing beta testing. Anyone can do it. All you need is their Live account address.

For everybody's negative responses about this app, I just wanted to add a positive one.

I love using this app and the capability of logging my geocaches while out geocaching. I live in an area that got an 3G signal upgrade 6 months ago and I have noticed a big difference using this app on the 3G network compared to E (Edge). I mostly still use my GPS for finding caches but probably end up using my phone 10% of the time for finding. I have submitted several suggestions for improvement in the Groundspeak Windows Phone 7 Apps Feedback Forum and most of them are under review as of a couple days ago. Glad to know they are listening!

Excited about the update that's coming, hopefully everything can get straightened out with Microsoft soon!

For everybody's negative responses about this app, I just wanted to add a positive one.

I love using this app and the capability of logging my geocaches while out geocaching. I live in an area that got an 3G signal upgrade 6 months ago and I have noticed a big difference using this app on the 3G network compared to E (Edge). I mostly still use my GPS for finding caches but probably end up using my phone 10% of the time for finding. I have submitted several suggestions for improvement in the Groundspeak Windows Phone 7 Apps Feedback Forum and most of them are under review as of a couple days ago. Glad to know they are listening!

Excited about the update that's coming, hopefully everything can get straightened out with Microsoft soon!

Here is my suggestion in that forum:

WP7 Login not working

I am returning a WP7 to ATT, on which the app works fine. I just got a Verizon WP7, and the app downloaded and installed fine. When I open it, I get a message that it cannot connect to the server, while displaying the EULA page. I click ok, click accept on the EULA, and go to Change User.

I enter my login/password, and it goes to the screen to allow access, which I allow. Then it very quickly says something about syncing or downloading my profile. Looking in settings and on the first PanoramaItem, there is no name by user.

I'm not sure if this thing phones home to validate the install as paid for, but it's failing some kind of server lookup at the EULA page, and won't let me log in.

13 votes

Vote

hopmedichopmedic shared this idea · May 27, 2011

started · Moun10BikeAdminMoun10Bike (Admin, Geocaching) responded · August 15, 2011

Aug 15, 2011: Our upcoming release will address this issue.

As you can see, I entered it on May 27, and they responded on 8/15. Need I say more?

We re-submitted to Microsoft, addressing the aspect of the app that they rejected. Stand by...

Forgive me for being cynical, but I paid for a product that doesn't work, submitted a problem report, and sat here and waited, and waited, and waited for a response. When the response finally did come, it was, and continues to be, shrouded in secrecy. You have been asked for transparency multiple times, and yet opacity is what we're met with. Is this product being developed in the White House?

We re-submitted to Microsoft, addressing the aspect of the app that they rejected. Stand by...

Forgive me for being cynical, but I paid for a product that doesn't work, submitted a problem report, and sat here and waited, and waited, and waited for a response. When the response finally did come, it was, and continues to be, shrouded in secrecy. You have been asked for transparency multiple times, and yet opacity is what we're met with. Is this product being developed in the White House?

Hang in there. They have the problem fixed. The app should be on the Marketplace soon. I know you're frustrated, but they really are watching/listening and have implemented fixes. It's a great group of people there.

Feedback is always a good idea, open honest two-way conversation is a good thing. Just don't despair, the issue is fixed and you'll have it very soon.